Need advice, should I even apply this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted829492

Hi guys!

So, I've been a lurker for quite some time. I'm in a bit of a dilemma. My decision to do dental was a fairly recent one, and I want to apply this cycle (I'm going to be graduating this spring). I was going to do PA before, but I changed my mind.

So, stats:
Overall GPA: 3.5
Science GPA: ~3.3
Research: None
Work: Several retail places over the course of my college career, got a Dental Assistant position the beginning of this year.
Volunteering: ~100 or so hours at various organizations/food banks
Shadowing: None, but I plan on shadowing at least ~20 or so hours before I apply.
DAT: Taking this summer.
Other: Minor in art, I am an avid artist. I also am in the honors college.

Now, the problem is that I have had to work for nearly my entire undergrad career due to financial stress in my family. My mom is also very sick, and is nowadays bedridden for days. My father is the sole provider for our family, and he is also nearly 70 years old and has had several heart attacks and health complications. I have endured years of physical and verbal abuse from my mom, and this stems from an unhealthy/unloving marriage, financial stress, and cultural expectations. I have developed anxiety and depression due to this, and have sought counseling. My brother is involved with drugs and there have been nights were I would be trying to study for a final, only to be kicked out of the house, to have to endure crazy episodes of hysteria and violence, or to have the cops come into my house.

This is no excuse, nor do I plan on trying to throw a pity party for myself. I have recognized the problems in my household, and even moved out for a semester in order to put distance between myself and my family.

The first few semesters went relatively ok, I got A's and a couple of B+s. However, as the issues in my household got worse, so did my grades, as well as the # of hours of work I had to do each week. My junior year is abysmal. I got my first C+ ever (three of them, actually). I dropped classes. My parents were on the brink of divorce, my mother went to the hospital a few times due to her illness, and I was at the peak of my anxiety and depression. I decided that moving out was the best option for me. The next semester (while living on campus), I took 15 hours while working 20/hrs a week and commuting, and ended up getting A's/A-s/B+s (3.6 GPA). This semester, I am taking 17 hours, mostly all upper level science classes and I plan on getting a 4.0.

I have lost a lot of motivation along the way, and I have had to endure a lot of stress and trauma. I am extremely motivated now, because the only way for me to create a better life for me, my family, and to become a dentist is to ignore my family and study hard. I cannot change my situation at home, and I cannot let it affect me any longer. Do dental schools even take into account for such things? I have no research or much volunteering cuz either I was strapped down due to work or major familial issues.

I know that my GPA and everything is not very good. What can I do these upcoming 4 months to make sure I can ace this cycle? I need any sort of advice I can get. BTW, I live in TX.

I'm currently trying to go through HPAC at my school, obtaining LORs and trying to figure out how I should study for the DAT. I really do not want to take more than 1 gap year, because I really want to escape the situation at home, as well as complete dental school before my parents pass away. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Your gpa isn't really a problem. Just make sure you do well on the DAT (20 minimum. 21+ is a confident score). 20 hours of shadowing is completely insufficient and since you're newly interested in applying to dental school, you'll need a lot more experience than that to prove to adcoms that you're serious about it. Many programs have requirements of how many hours you need as well...ranging all the way up to 100 hours minimum. It's not impossible for you to apply this cycle.

Your gpa isn't really a problem. Just make sure you do well on the DAT (20 minimum. 21+ is a confident score). 20 hours of shadowing is completely insufficient and since you're newly interested in applying to dental school, you'll need a lot more experience than that to prove to adcoms that you're serious about it. Many programs have requirements of how many hours you need as well...ranging all the way up to 100 hours minimum. It's not impossible for you to apply this cycle.

Thanks for the reply. I currently work as a dental assistant, so I assume that this won't be sufficient in covering the hours I need for shadowing? Also, how exactly is this reported? Do I need to provide some kind of form verifying this? I know my HPAC committee has a form I have to fill out.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply. I currently work as a dental assistant, so I assume that this won't be sufficient in covering the hours I need for shadowing? Also, how exactly is this reported? Do I need to provide some kind of form verifying this? I know my HPAC committee has a form I have to fill out.
They won't cross-reference your shadowing or extracurricular activities, I combined my shadowing and assisting hours together for total over 1000 hours over a span of 2 years. You don't have to provide proof, because you need a LOR from a dentist if you are a traditional applicant. Most importantly, you might be asked about it in your interview and be yourself. Most of the time, they can tell if you are bsing or made up numbers.

Reactions: 1 user