New York COM, Jonesboro Campus (NYIT-COM, Jonesboro) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I did, just yesterday!

Anyone know when interview season ends? I've had no luck finding inexpensive flights
You won't find an inexpensive flight direct. Your best bet is to fly into Memphis and drive to Jonesboro.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
IMO, one of the better schools to be on the waitlist at. There should be a decent amount of movement!

Waitlist as well. Interviewed 2/9

Wishful thinking position would be they are doing what UIW did in January where they seemed to only sent out waitlist spots for about a month, then sent a big batch of acceptance emails to people on the wait list.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm pretty optimistic about this whole process as well and I hope that this is the case. Good luck to you!

Wishful thinking position would be they are doing what UIW did in January where they seemed to only sent out waitlist spots for about a month, then sent a big batch of acceptance emails to people on the wait list.

As a fellow wait-lister, staying positive and doing whatever you can to make your app more competitive are the best things you can do. Don't sit around and twiddle your thumbs expecting to be grabbed off of the WL.

Reactions: 1 users
Got a phone call today and a subsequent email for scheduling an interview. Scheduled an interview for 3/2 lets see how it goes. Though isn't an interview at this point in time very late and the odds are probably slim?

Got a phone call today and a subsequent email for scheduling an interview. Scheduled an interview for 3/2 lets see how it goes. Though isn't an interview at this point in time very late and the odds are probably slim?
Seriously? Read the thread. They still have half of their seats open.

Can someone who is going to NYIT Arkansas tell me what your school schedule is like in terms of time. Like class 1 is from 8 to blank and what time does classes end for you guys? I'm debating on whether or not I'd like to get a pet but obviously I know it's harder when the schedules are so tight and you're not home.

Can someone who is going to NYIT Arkansas tell me what your school schedule is like in terms of time. Like class 1 is from 8 to blank and what time does classes end for you guys? I'm debating on whether or not I'd like to get a pet but obviously I know it's harder when the schedules are so tight and you're not home.
Hey so I'm a first year and I actually have a cat and will be getting a puppy soon. Lectures (2-3 per day) are one hour each from 8-11 M-T with some lectures on fridays or some other event being held Friday mornings (we mostly have Friday afternoons free). First semester you will have labs most afternoons from 12-4 (or 1-4 for anatomy). Second semester has so far been less time spent in labs, but still one day per week on whichever day you have OMM/DPR will be from 12-4, with other lab days being shorter. Lectures are currently not mandatory and are recorded and currently being posted daily (we hope this continues). I know several of my classmates have pets, are married, have children, etc. and everyone seems to make it work. It's not impossible to have a pet in medical school, but if it's something you're worried about you might consider waiting until a few weeks into the school year to decide if you feel you have time after you experience the schedule and workload for yourself.

Hey so I'm a first year and I actually have a cat and will be getting a puppy soon. Lectures (2-3 per day) are one hour each from 8-11 M-T with some lectures on fridays or some other event being held Friday mornings (we mostly have Friday afternoons free). First semester you will have labs most afternoons from 12-4 (or 1-4 for anatomy). Second semester has so far been less time spent in labs, but still one day per week on whichever day you have OMM/DPR will be from 12-4, with other lab days being shorter. Lectures are currently not mandatory and are recorded and currently being posted daily (we hope this continues). I know several of my classmates have pets, are married, have children, etc. and everyone seems to make it work. It's not impossible to have a pet in medical school, but if it's something you're worried about you might consider waiting until a few weeks into the school year to decide if you feel you have time after you experience the schedule and workload for yourself.

Thank you! and M-T would be monday through thursday right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! and M-T would be monday through thursday right?
Yep Monday-Thursday. And no, on campus housing does not allow pets. There are several apartment complexes in town that allow pets. You'll just have to ask about pet policy and weight requirements. Some only allow one pet, some only allow pets under 25 lbs and some have higher than normal pet fees. So if you decide to go that route you'll have to do some research to decide what works best for you.

Could someone please post the thread for the interview questions? Thanks!

So I was waitlisted on Feb 3rd, I was wondering does anyone know what are the chances of getting off the waitlist ?

So I was waitlisted on Feb 3rd, I was wondering does anyone know what are the chances of getting off the waitlist ?

There should be some movement on the waitlist. UAMS (In state allopathic school) should have just sent out their acceptance letters. This will cause some movement from the waitlist hopefully. They are still conducting interviews though currently. There is still some hope for ya and I wish you the best of luck. :)

Did anyone get notice of when the orientation is?

I really liked this school quite a bit! It's really impressive and all the current first years there were pretty friendly! The interview was very conversational. It was the first one you get a grade on, that I've seen, in person. (As in: My interviewer graded me as I talked to him). Since it's an extention of west bury it's already fully accredited, something I was worried about going into the interview! Any first years here, would you mind telling me more about the lecture to PBL style? I noticed in the interview that we were told that it's almost all lecture based, but that PBL is becoming more common. Having interviewed at a school that only utilizes PBL that made me a little nervous. (After being pretty honest with myself, I have started to realize I need a lecture based education.

Another question I have - is there anywhere between Memphis and Jonesboro? I was trying to keep an eye out while driving back to the airport. My husband is a software engineer, and I worry that Jonesboro won't have a huge market for him!

Overall I loved the atmosphere and would be lucky to attend!

I really liked this school quite a bit! It's really impressive and all the current first years there were pretty friendly! The interview was very conversational. It was the first one you get a grade on, that I've seen, in person. (As in: My interviewer graded me as I talked to him). Since it's an extention of west bury it's already fully accredited, something I was worried about going into the interview! Any first years here, would you mind telling me more about the lecture to PBL style? I noticed in the interview that we were told that it's almost all lecture based, but that PBL is becoming more common. Having interviewed at a school that only utilizes PBL that made me a little nervous. (After being pretty honest with myself, I have started to realize I need a lecture based education.

Another question I have - is there anywhere between Memphis and Jonesboro? I was trying to keep an eye out while driving back to the airport. My husband is a software engineer, and I worry that Jonesboro won't have a huge market for him!

Overall I loved the atmosphere and would be lucky to attend!

The Arkansas campus is 100% lecture based learning currently. We don't have a PBL program like the New York campus. We do have some team based learning once a week where we work through a specific case presentation and relate the basic science parts of the case with the clinical presentations.

The area between Jonesboro and Memphis is pretty much barren lol. There are a few towns in between but not much. Also you really want to consider how much time you would be investing in the commute during your schooling. Time is precious in medical school.

So guys I am currently enrolled in a masters program; I was wondering...if I didn't do well in one of my classes (advanced neuroanatomy is kind of tough) and the grade wasn't too great, do you think NYIT would take back my acceptance? Even though I did well with the classes they mentioned you need to complete and I have my bachelor's...like I mean would they really think it's important?

So guys I am currently enrolled in a masters program; I was wondering...if I didn't do well in one of my classes (advanced neuroanatomy is kind of tough) and the grade wasn't too great, do you think NYIT would take back my acceptance? Even though I did well with the classes they mentioned you need to complete and I have my bachelor's...like I mean would they really think it's important?
I think the standard is a C or better in your remaining classes. But NYIT may be different. I'd call since maybe you'll at least know what to expect.

interviewed here yesterday. i absolutely loved the school !!!! hope to hear back soon

did anyone hear back sooner than the 4-6 weeks time frame they give?

interviewed here yesterday. i absolutely loved the school !!!! hope to hear back soon

I heard back like two days after

I do believe that their adcoms meet every tuesday so interviewing on 2/13 was pretty nice since they probably met on 2/14 and gave you your answer on 2/15. Though I'm sure if they're swamped with applicants they would push it back 4-5 weeks. I'm assuming it's not that cram packed

heard back three days later

Heard back in 14 days. Interviewed 2/9

They said exceptional candidates hear back quickly, but that the average admitted and denied hears back in 3-6 weeks or something. Don't stress about the ones you hear about here that heard back quickly.... though I got accepted very quickly ;)

That is kinda iffy but I am leaning towards the fact that you have already been accepted with the classwork that was necessary for med school acceptance in the first place and the Master's degree is something different. If you were still working on a bachelor's degree and then screwed up some key courses for your science degree or whatever, then it would be substantial difference. I wouldn't freak out too much. I would call and speak with admissions at NYITCOM though just for confirmation same as Cherryred stated. And btw neuroanatomy sucks in medical school too. lol.

Last edited:
That is kinda iffy but I am leaning towards the fact that you have already been accepted with the classwork that was necessary for med school acceptance in the first place and the Master's degree is something different. If you were still working on a bachelor's degree and then screwed up some key courses for your science degree or whatever, then it would be substantial difference. I wouldn't freak out too much. I would call and speak with admissions at NYITCOM though just for confirmation same as Cherryred stated. And btw neuroanatomy sucks in medical school too. lol.

Yea I don't think it's really an issue. I spoke with them and they even said I don't have to finish the masters to matriculate. They did say to complete the classes I'm in for this semester but I don't think grades matter too much for that. I'm just going to continue to try my best.

Same... fourth school I've been waitlisted at. Anyone have suggestions?

Don't give up. Keep going to interviews. Be honest and outgoing and genuinely interested in every school you interview at. There are still spots open. Most schools do pull from the waitlist. I think it might be worth it to send emails and let the schools where you are waitlisted know that you are interested and also make sure to tell them how you are continuing to improve on your application. Good luck!

Interviewing here on Monday--fingers crossed!

Interviewing here on Monday--fingers crossed!
Yeah good luck with your interview! The people interviewing at this school just want to see that you have an interest in helping your fellow man/woman and are genuinely interested in osteopathic medicine. Know your osteopathic tenants and it really shouldn't be that stressful of an experience.

good luck,
Thanks!

Yeah good luck with your interview! The people interviewing at this school just want to see that you have an interest in helping your fellow man/woman and are genuinely interested in osteopathic medicine. Know your osteopathic tenants and it really shouldn't be that stressful of an experience.
Thank you! That's so good to hear, after reading this thread it seems like the interview is fairly comfortable.

Does anyone know how to pay the $1500 deposit exactly? I can't seem to find it on the site.

Does anyone know how to pay the $1500 deposit exactly? I can't seem to find it on the site.

yea u have to sign in with your account that you made to complete your secondary i think, the directions should have been sent to you via snail mail

anyone from 3/6 interview hear back yet?