New York COM, Jonesboro Campus (NYIT-COM, Jonesboro) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any word on the 3rd/4th year rotations sites? specialities? requirements?
I have been told that they are going to be local for the most part at NEA hospital and St. Bernard's. Some will be a little farther out in cities in Northeast Arkansas (ex Searcy, Batesville). This is what I have heard from some of my friends involved with the Medical school, I am from the area.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I have been told that they are going to be local for the most part at NEA hospital and St. Bernard's. Some will be a little farther out in cities in Northeast Arkansas (ex Searcy, Batesville). This is what I have heard from some of my friends involved with the Medical school, I am from the area.
So this goes out to anyone who has been accepted: what did your interviewer say after you were done? Also, how important is the interview at this stage in comparison to the application?

So this goes out to anyone who has been accepted: what did your interviewer say after you were done? Also, how important is the interview at this stage in comparison to the application?
The interview is for sure the most important. Just be relaxed and explain to them what makes you passionate about medicine and why this would make you a good DO. Also, make sure you can explain why DO is for you instead of it sounding like a back up plan for if you don't get into an MD program.

My interviewers and I just had a great conversation. One of them even thought she knew my father from way back in the day at ASU. This was amazing.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The interview is for sure the most important. Just be relaxed and explain to them what makes you passionate about medicine and why this would make you a good DO. Also, make sure you can explain why DO is for you instead of it sounding like a back up plan for if you don't get into an MD program.

My interviewers and I just had a great conversation. One of them even thought she knew my father from way back in the day at ASU. This was amazing.
Thanks I actually went to go interview yesterday and it went very well. There has just been several people who said that the interview isn't that important. I wondered if it applied to the school as well but thank you for your reply

Thanks I actually went to go interview yesterday and it went very well. There has just been several people who said that the interview isn't that important. I wondered if it applied to the school as well but thank you for your reply

When I mentioned my low mcat score in the interview my interviewer said I should not even worry about it. She explained that the fact that I was there meant that that was not a problem to the committee. I think the interview is very important because it allows the nyit faculty to choose students based on personality and not just academics on paper.

When I mentioned my low mcat score in the interview my interviewer said I should not even worry about it. She explained that the fact that I was there meant that that was not a problem to the committee. I think the interview is very important because it allows the nyit faculty to choose students based on personality and not just academics on paper.
That's actually very reassuring! My MCAT wasn't brought up in my interview, but it's always hard to know how they'll view MCAT scores, especially when they're comparing applicants.

That's actually very reassuring! My MCAT wasn't brought up in my interview, but it's always hard to know how they'll view MCAT scores, especially when they're comparing applicants.
Yeah they didn't bring up my grades either. They were just questions about my background and how I deal with stress. In all, I did feel it went well but there were about 17 people in my group. There's 115 seats with a max of 124 and they have received 1800 applications. So I just wonder how many people they are interviewing.

3rd year FM resident here in Jonesboro, will graduate in June. Moving 45min away and looking to rent my house to a medical student. 3 bedroom, 2 bath house built in 2014, I am the only person to live in the house. Located in a new neighborhood with a mixture of college students, young families, and medical residents. Very safe area, in a growing part of town. Approximately 5-10 minutes from campus depending on traffic. Rent is $1200 per month. PM me for more info.

3rd year FM resident here in Jonesboro, will graduate in June. Moving 45min away and looking to rent my house to a medical student. 3 bedroom, 2 bath house built in 2014, I am the only person to live in the house. Located in a new neighborhood with a mixture of college students, young families, and medical residents. Very safe area, in a growing part of town. Approximately 5-10 minutes from campus depending on traffic. Rent is $1200 per month. PM me for more info.

Darn that's expensive! Is the rent negotiable I was looking for a house. What is the policy on pets? Does it have a fenced yard? How far is it away from the school and can I see photos?

Darn that's expensive! Is the rent negotiable I was looking for a house. What is the policy on pets? Does it have a fenced yard? How far is it away from the school and can I see photos?
Sorry not negotiable, that's the market here. Probably bc the college students get in groups of 3 and pay $400 per bedroom. No pet policy, the yard is fenced in. Like I said in the earlier post, about a 5-10 min drive to campus depending on traffic. If still interested PM me and I can send photos.

Sorry not negotiable, that's the market here. Probably bc the college students get in groups of 3 and pay $400 per bedroom. No pet policy, the yard is fenced in. Like I said in the earlier post, about a 5-10 min drive to campus depending on traffic. If still interested PM me and I can send photos.
Okay great thanks I can't give up my pup! Hope you find someone here! However I will say they mentioned something about graduate housing on campus.

This isn't a bad price guys for the area, especially if DOctor To Be is willing to let a couple of you guys into the lease together. Electric and water are cheap here as well. I have a fairly large house and the biggest bill I've received for electric, water, sewer, and trash was $140.

Members don't see this ad :)
This isn't a bad price guys for the area, especially if DOctor To Be is willing to let a couple of you guys into the lease together. Electric and water are cheap here as well. I have a fairly large house and the biggest bill I've received for electric, water, sewer, and trash was $140.
And as an added bonus, your land lord is an attending physician. I'll throw in the mentoring for free ha

The rent for the new graduate housing they build is 700+. That's fairly expensive in my opinion~

Apparently compared to this incredibly cheap Wolf Creek Apartment 5 minutes away from campus. It's only 425 a month with everything included.

It would be nice to be able to walk to class though. There are a few other on campus options other then the ones they are building now.

When do we get options for housing anyhow. I'd kinda like to know

It would be nice to be able to walk to class though. There are a few other on campus options other then the ones they are building now.

To my knowledge, only the graduate level housing will be available to NYIT students. Don't bank on other on-campus options. There are a lot of options throughout town though and several are pretty close to campus.

Btw, be patient on getting news about everything you need for school (I know this is hard). Housing should be going out relatively soon and you will receive all the information you need for school with plenty of time to spare. This is pretty much you guys last summer to relax and have fun. Enjoy it. :)

To my knowledge, only the graduate level housing will be available to NYIT students. Don't bank on other on-campus options. There are a lot of options throughout town though and several are pretty close to campus.

Btw, be patient on getting news about everything you need for school (I know this is hard). Housing should be going out relatively soon and you will receive all the information you need for school with plenty of time to spare. This is pretty much you guys last summer to relax and have fun. Enjoy it. :)

All this money spent and the life changing events are too much!!! I don't think I can enjoy anything until I know or graduate from college! Which ever is first! Lol

Exactly. There are other graduate housing options. My wife and I are applying to a complex now that is below campus at Aggie and redwolf.

I tried to look through the thread before asking this...

Is there a Facebook group created for accepted students?

I'm for sure attending here and would love to get to know some of my future fellow classmates!!

I tried to look through the thread before asking this...

Is there a Facebook group created for accepted students?

I'm for sure attending here and would love to get to know some of my future fellow classmates!!

Yes, the link is about 11 posts up :)

When did everyone typically hear back after their interview? I interviewed here on Monday 2/6 and I'm already antsy to hear back!

Hey
When did everyone typically hear back after their interview? I interviewed here on Monday 2/6 and I'm already antsy to hear back!
don't use your actually profile picture if it is you. Also I heard it can be a week or so...

Hi thank you. I'm new here so thanks for the advice!
All good I did the same thing. I interviewed 2/2 and I haven't heard back. I'm not sure if anyone from my group has heard anything. There were about 16 of us. How many were in your group?

Hi thank you. I'm new here so thanks for the advice!

I herd back after only two days. I think it depends on how many interviews they have completed. They do a bunch then review all of them together. That was my understanding anyway. So you could hear back really quick like I did or it could take a few weeks.

All good I did the same thing. I interviewed 2/2 and I haven't heard back. I'm not sure if anyone from my group has heard anything. There were about 16 of us. How many were in your group?
There was approximately 15-20 others present that day. I think they had groups A-D and rooms 1-5 as well but I'm not sure if each letter was filled up all the way to 5. Hopefully we both will hear back soon!

I herd back after only two days. I think it depends on how many interviews they have completed. They do a bunch then review all of them together. That was my understanding anyway. So you could hear back really quick like I did or it could take a few weeks.
Did they call you or was it an email/letter in the mail?

Wow!!! That's very fast. How many people were in your group?

Last edited:
There were 16-20 in my group. They sent me an email. It was a huge surprise because they told us all in the interview that it would be 4-6 weeks to hear back.

There were 16-20 in my group. They sent me an email. It was a huge surprise because they told us all in the interview that it would be 4-6 weeks to hear back.
So if they're interviewing that many people several people won't be accepted.... do you think they only take people who interviewed well? I've been told they look at diversity too. I'm just getting nervous haha.

So if they're interviewing that many people several people won't be accepted.... do you think they only take people who interviewed well? I've been told they look at diversity too. I'm just getting nervous haha.

I honestly don't know what they are looking for in the individuals that interview. I would just say be confident that things will work out :).

I honestly don't know what they are looking for in the individuals that interview. I would just say be confident that things will work out :).
Yep it's the only thing that's left to do. Do you feel several interviewers tell every applicant they did a good job during the interview?

Congratulations! Do you think you'll be attending?

Yep it's the only thing that's left to do. Do you feel several interviewers tell every applicant they did a good job during the interview?

My interviewer didn't tell me I did a good job. actually I rmemeber feeling pretty bad about it right after the interview. Looking back I can see the interview went pretty well but at the time it felt a little rough.

My interviewer didn't tell me I did a good job. actually I rmemeber feeling pretty bad about it right after the interview. Looking back I can see the interview went pretty well but at the time it felt a little rough.
Well regardless congrats! I hope to hear back some time this week. I'm shooting for today but who knows. Also, that's great that you're married, if I get accepted you won't be the only person who is married!

That's exactly how I felt! I felt terrible after my interview, but looking back, I only stumbled on one question and even then, it wasn't a bad answer. Maybe we had the same interviewer

That's exactly how I felt! I felt terrible after my interview, but looking back, I only stumbled on one question and even then, it wasn't a bad answer. Maybe we had the same interviewer
When did you interview and hear back about acceptance?

Have you all who were accepted done your fafsa yet? Im wondering because can you do a fafsa for multiple schools? Like if I did one for here and then got into my #1 school would that mess me up from doing a fafsa for them. Just checking because it looked like from NYITs email that they wanted the fafsa done pronto.

Have you all who were accepted done your fafsa yet? Im wondering because can you do a fafsa for multiple schools? Like if I did one for here and then got into my #1 school would that mess me up from doing a fafsa for them. Just checking because it looked like from NYITs email that they wanted the fafsa done pronto.

It says in the acceptance packet that the FAFSA needs to be completed by Jun 1st. I'll probably get mine done some time this month.

It says in the acceptance packet that the FAFSA needs to be completed by Jun 1st. I'll probably get mine done some time this month.
Okay! I got an email from them that said that it was supposed to be done within 30 days of acceptance. Which seemed really odd. Ive been accepted for like 3 months also haha

Okay! I got an email from them that said that it was supposed to be done within 30 days of acceptance. Which seemed really odd. Ive been accepted for like 3 months also haha

Ya that's weird. I know there are a few think see have to have done within 30 days but I don't think that's one of them. It's just like the scholarship paper we had to sign and the immunization records.

Accepted!! A while ago actually and am so excited but I'm having a hard time deciding whether to pick NYIT- arkansas. For others that either live around there, or are attending the campus now or even interviewed, what do you think about the pass/fail/honors (top 10%) grading and the area around the school? People have told me that having an honors system with the top 10% getting honors creates a competitive environment instead of everyone helping and studying together. So thoughts please? Message me directly if you want. thank you

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted!! A while ago actually and am so excited but I'm having a hard time deciding whether to pick NYIT- arkansas. For others that either live around there, or are attending the campus now or even interviewed, what do you think about the pass/fail/honors (top 10%) grading and the area around the school? People have told me that having an honors system with the top 10% getting honors creates a competitive environment instead of everyone helping and studying together. So thoughts please? Message me directly if you want. thank you
What are your other choices?