2022-2023 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM-Jonesboro)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Foundations is anatomy, biochem, basic phys, some pharm, some micro, etc.

Everything else is correct. You take pre comp the Monday before comp exam week. Comps are on the following Friday. Comp week is currently structured with DPR practical Monday, OMM practical Thursday, and comp exam Friday.
And anatomy practical/neuroanatomy practical on Tuesday that week also.

Members don't see this ad.

You're correct. Pre comp occurs the week before the comp (week 5 for first semester and week 4 for second semester). Your breakdown is by semester so yes by the end of each semester you will have done the anatomy phys patho pharm micro etc. however there is significant overlap, between blocks. (The 4-5 weeks divisions per semester) there is also review material from foundations and previous block. A good example is we just had genetics and old pharm in our 2nd block (this was covered first semester. There was also overlap such that psych (2nd block of 2nd semester ) was also given substantial lectures in the first week of the 3rd block as well (not as a review but as new topics we did not cover in the "psych block")

Cardio pulm and renal you essentially learn at the same time. one item (patho,phys, pharm etc) for all three at the same time with some blocks being slightly more heavy in one specialty or another

The curriculum does change frequently and our experience this year is no guarantee of what you will have next year or the years to come. It was confirmed today though in our class meeting with the dean that there will be 3 exams for the first semester next year and I wish you all the absolute best.
Would you say comp exams are styled like NBOME/board style questions? Do you think watching lectures are absolutely necessary for comp exams or could someone get away with using third party prep (i.e. BnB, Pathoma, Pixorize, etc) for the non-osteopathic stuff?

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
Would you say comp exams are styled like NBOME/board style questions? Do you think watching lectures are absolutely necessary for comp exams or could someone get away with using third party prep (i.e. BnB, Pathoma, Pixorize, etc) for the non-osteopathic stuff?
Questions are mostly ass. You can get away with 3rd party stuff for probably 50-60%, the rest is in-house stuff. The school links scholar Rx bricks (associated with first aid & provided by the school) to most lectures, which are testable too. You could get away with not watching most lectures if you just read the PowerPoints. Some lecturers have terrible PowerPoints with minimal info. that you have to watch their lectures for.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Questions are mostly ass. You can get away with 3rd party stuff for probably 50-60%, the rest is in-house stuff. The school links scholar Rx bricks (associated with first aid & provided by the school) to most lectures, which are testable too. You could get away with not watching most lectures if you just read the PowerPoints. Some lecturers have terrible PowerPoints with minimal info. that you have to watch their lectures for.
100% agree with this and will add: there are faculty that nit pick specific details and make questions that will never be on boards (what is the exact percentage of this person having a child with this abnormality given previous pregnancy results ......this was a repro question not genetics answer choices ranged from 24%, 25%, 26% 27% and this answer was one tiny bullet of one slide out of ~2500 slides for the block) they will continuously say that "because the faculty also write for boards" that the questions are just like boards. Many students have realized this is not the case and instead use uworld and combanks for board prep (as we probably should). OMM is a hit or miss on questions.

Here is the caveat to this moving forward. Faculty has made it clear to us that there were quite a few staff that quit/were let go from the OW campus in New York. They (OW) are the ones who control everything about our curriculum, exams, and labs. One of these folks was the person who makes the tests for our classes. They have hired someone new but many faculty have noticed a serious decrease in the quality of the questions that come from them. Many exams had multiple of the same right answer choice, were outright wrong, or were so poorly worded that you are are in half of the stem treating a male patient but in the other half are treating a pregnant female patient.

Half of the battle at this school is figuring out how to take the exams that they make and give to us. They do not (currently) want to use and pay for any external Comlex catered questions for the exams, and instead opt for using the one combank they do have as a mere completion grade during each block. Most students do not take these questions seriously as they are not similar to the exam questions we get on the comp, and are only graded on completion.

So TLDR: Can you skip the powerpoint and lectures and only use external materials? yes, it MAY work and get you a passing grade but you most likely will not end up honors and may fail due to missing the specific extremely detailed / poorly worded questions. if you really want to make the most out of this experience for your medical career then reading the lectures, creating/using cards in Anki or some note system, and external resources (ie. Pathoma, BNB, AMboss, YouTubers etc.) will be what you need to pass and be eligible to sit for boards. Uworld, Truelearn, First Aid etc. are going to be what you need to not only do well on boards but also do well on benchmarks in order to also sit for boards.

reminder: Questions are dropped for each comp but these questions have lowered some students passing comp grades to failing and have raised some students (me included) failing comp grade to passing.

We will be fine my friend. Just work hard and put your nose to the grindstone and everything will turn out okay.
This ^

Most people do fine.

Reactions: 2 users
We will be fine my friend. Just work hard and put your nose to the grindstone and everything will turn out okay.
100% agree. genuinely the hardest part so far has been adjusting to what medical school really is and finding your workflow/zen/balance/methodology.

You're absolutely right! My outlook has been so negative about this school so here are some positives outlooks from me:
1) NYITCOM is an accredited medical school​
2) Even after SOAPing, NYIT had a 100% match rate​
3) If you want a competitive speciality, you have a fighting chance (i.e. someone match urology)​
4) It's in the USA 🇺🇸🦅​
5) They don't just take anyone with a bank account, like a Caribbean school​
6) Some famous NYIT alumni like Dr. Mike and Dr. Kevin O'Connor, President Biden's physician.​
7) Even just saying New York Institute of Technology sounds like a big name school to a random person​

• Care
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
You're absolutely right! My outlook has been so negative about this school so here are some positives outlooks from me:
1) NYITCOM is an accredited medical school​
2) Even after SOAPing, NYIT had a 100% match rate​
3) If you want a competitive speciality, you have a fighting chance (i.e. someone match urology)​
4) It's in the USA 🇺🇸🦅​
5) They don't just take anyone with a bank account, like a Caribbean school​
6) Some famous NYIT alumni like Dr. Mike and Dr. Kevin O'Connor, President Biden's physician.​
7) Even just saying New York Institute of Technology sounds like a big name school to a random person​
some more positive you can add too:
- Big name school in the northeast so residency options are not limited to Arkansas
- Smaller campus means tighter knit school making it feel more personal and meaningful
- you get a great glimpse into rural medicine which affects 20% of the US population while also getting the option to rotate through large city hospitals In Arkansas, Tennessee, and Mississippi
- Great cohesion amongst students across all years (no-one trying to out gunner each other) we are all in this together
- most faculty are supportive and bring decades of experience
- Strong Research ties to New York for Cardiology and Neurology and other areas

and the biggest one is that you got into medical school!

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
To the current first years - how many days did you absolutely need to be on campus? In other words, lectures being online - how many times a week do you actually have in-person class?

To the current first years - how many days did you absolutely need to be on campus? In other words, lectures being online - how many times a week do you actually have in-person class?
First semester:
Monday - anatomy lab
Wednesday - OMM lab
Tuesday or Thursday (depends on your group) - DPR lab

Second semester:
First block only - neuroanatomy lab - Tuesday and Thursday
Remaining 3 blocks:
Tuesday - CBL lab (50% class on zoom, 50% class in person - starts block 3)
Wednesday - OMM lab
Thursday - OMM lab (only last block of semester)
Tuesday or Thursday (depends on your group) - DPR lab

You’ll be on campus a minimum 3/5 days a week. This doesn’t include any extracurriculars you may be involved with (I.e. RSO’s, research, SGA, etc.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got off WL today via email! Interviewed on 03/29

Reactions: 7 users
Unpopular opinion:

I have 2 recommendations for getting a head start this fall.

1. If you have free time this summer and want to get a jump on things for this fall, I recommend starting to learn some gross anatomy. Getting started on this will allow you to spend more time learning FOM lectures for the comp exams. Don’t spend your entire summer doing this but maybe a couple hours a day or a few a week or something. 3 resources:
1. Grant’s atlas of anatomy
2. netanatomy (if it’s free, if it’s not it will be once you get to campus - this resource is very good)
3. Anki decks like dopeanatomy and the UMich deck

2. Start on lectures as soon as they are released to you all during orientation

Lastly, if you’re 100% sold on getting Sketchy already, you could start watching the foundations to pharmacology videos and the antibiotics videos and doing their anki cards.

Don’t waste your whole summer doing this. Enjoy it, but if you find yourself with some free time and want to make the fall a little easier, these are what I recommend. Strictly my personal opinion.

Reactions: 6 users
Unpopular opinion:

I have 2 recommendations for getting a head start this fall.

1. If you have free time this summer and want to get a jump on things for this fall, I recommend starting to learn some gross anatomy. Getting started on this will allow you to spend more time learning FOM lectures for the comp exams. Don’t spend your entire summer doing this but maybe a couple hours a day or a few a week or something. 3 resources:
1. Grant’s atlas of anatomy
2. netanatomy (if it’s free, if it’s not it will be once you get to campus - this resource is very good)
3. Anki decks like dopeanatomy and the UMich deck

2. Start on lectures as soon as they are released to you all during orientation

Lastly, if you’re 100% sold on getting Sketchy already, you could start watching the foundations to pharmacology videos and the antibiotics videos and doing their anki cards.

Don’t waste your whole summer doing this. Enjoy it, but if you find yourself with some free time and want to make the fall a little easier, these are what I recommend. Strictly my personal opinion.
Thank you for these recommendations !! I tend to be a slow learner so I was debating on whether to start looking at content during the summer against popular advice... glad to know that there are upperclassmen that do not strongly advise against this.

I'm unsure if this was answered elsewhere, but is all the lecture content for the semester release at once ?

Thank you for these recommendations !! I tend to be a slow learner so I was debating on whether to start looking at content during the summer against popular advice... glad to know that there are upperclassmen that do not strongly advise against this.

I'm unsure if this was answered elsewhere, but is all the lecture content for the semester release at once ?
It is released block by block. You will get all the first block released during orientation, then you will get all of the second block released on the Thursday of your first block’s comp exam, etc. It’s released at that time but you’re not expected to start on it then unless you’re that well prepared (idk anybody that starts on it till a day or two after the exam).

I would also advise getting used to, started, set up, and your settings dialed in for Anki. while there are some who do not use it I will say that most students do. I was initially against it but now use it for note taking and spaced repetition of my notes and the cards I make from them. some good decks for anatomy include the Umich deck, or even making your own occlusion cards this took me from low 70s in anatomy to mid and upper 80s. (I screenshot the images from Net anatomy which may be very similar to what you see on exams)

Reactions: 3 users
Question Dump about comp exams:
1) Are the comps strictly multiple choice or are there short answer, fill-in-the-blank questions etc?
2) How much time are students given for each comp exam?
3) Are comp exams cumulative or will the material be strictly from that block?
4) Can we review our exams/see what we got wrong after scores are released?
5) Are comp exams taken in the lecture at a specific time, or can they be taken at home during an allotted time window?
6) Are pre-comp exams similar in question style and length to the actual comp exam?

Question Dump about comp exams:
1) Are the comps strictly multiple choice or are there short answer, fill-in-the-blank questions etc?
2) How much time are students given for each comp exam?
3) Are comp exams cumulative or will the material be strictly from that block?
4) Can we review our exams/see what we got wrong after scores are released?
5) Are comp exams taken in the lecture at a specific time, or can they be taken at home during an allotted time window?
6) Are pre-comp exams similar in question style and length to the actual comp exam?
1. All multiple choice
2. Currently 150 min for 125 questions - time usually isn’t an issue
3. FOM is not cumulative. It’s for the block. Later semesters have 10 review questions from 5 lectures from previous semesters. They tell you the 5 review lectures at the beginning of the block.
4. 15 min review immediately after the exam that shows you the questions you missed and the rationales are hit or miss. They send an examplify question breakdown after you receive your scores but it only shows question subject, not the stem.
5. Taken in lecture hall or another room on the same floor. It’s assigned, proctored, and strict.
6. Precomps are 75 questions and their style is a poor representation of the comp exams. They’re basically useless, but they are currently proposing that the precomp weight increases from 10% of total grade to 25% and comp weights go down from 90% to 75%. Seems good on the surface until you realize they don’t give you any extra time to study for the precomps (I.e. labs and new lectures the week leading into precomp over material that will be on the precomp)

Last edited:
1. All multiple choice
3. FOM is not cumulative. It’s for the block. Later semesters have 10 review questions from 5 lectures from previous semesters. They tell you the 5 review lectures at the beginning of the block.
4. 15 min review immediately after the exam that shows you the questions you missed and the rationales are hit or miss. They send an examplify question breakdown after you receive your scores but it only shows question subject, not the stem.
5. Taken in lecture hall or another room on the same floor. It’s assigned, proctored, and strict.
6. Precomps are 75 questions and their style is a poor representation of the comp exams. They’re basically useless, but they are currently proposing that the precomp weight increases from 10% of total grade to 25% and comp weights go down from 90% to 75%. Seems good on the surface until you realize they don’t give you any extra time to study for the precomps (I.e. labs and new lectures the week leading into precomp over material that will be on the precomp)
Are the comp questions styled to be mainly recall, application based, or a mix of both?

Are the comp questions styled to be mainly recall, application based, or a mix of both?
IMO, first year is mostly recall. They are a mix of 1st-3rd order questions. Some of the pathology-based questions require application though. Your opinion on the difficulty of these exams will depend on your background and the style of questions you were presented in undergrad or graduate courses.

1. All multiple choice
Myself and other students also use pre comps as a measure for our current material strengths and weaknesses so that we can best study to improve our weak topics, as this is our only exposure to "similar" style questions and mental gymnastics that you will have to perform prior to the comp. With this proposed change it will be hard to recommend using the pre comps in this manner.

Last edited:
1. All multiple choice
Would you be willing to elaborate on what about the testing style changes between precomp and comp exams ??

Would you be willing to elaborate on what about the testing style changes between precomp and comp exams ??
Just question writing style and difficulty. Precomps are simpler questions and topics covered on precomp may or may not be asked again on comp. Generally, if you do well on precomp you will do well on the comp. If you do poorly on the precomp, it’s not a big deal (until they change the weighted percentage). You have time to make up a lot of ground between precomp and comp.

If anyone received the NYITCOM needs based grant, could you message me how much they gave you? I know they said the minimum was 4k

I interviewed April 26 and heard back yesterday
When you say heard back, what do you mean? can you elaborate? Cause so far you're the only one I know of. I interviewed around april 25th and was told a decision would happen around "mid may". Just been trying to wait this out cause I really need this.

When you say heard back, what do you mean? can you elaborate? Cause so far you're the only one I know of. I interviewed around april 25th and was told a decision would happen around "mid may". Just been trying to wait this out cause I really need this.
Heard back is vague no doubt.

Hey guys! For the FOM semester, what things should we review over the summer to get a head start? I know someone in the GroupMe suggested reviewing First AID for anatomy and Sketchy for pharm. Is there anything specific like reviewing glycolysis, TCA, pentose phosphate etc for biochem? Anything specific for histology, pharmacology, physiology, pathology etc?

Hey guys! For the FOM semester, what things should we review over the summer to get a head start? I know someone in the GroupMe suggested reviewing First AID for anatomy and Sketchy for pharm. Is there anything specific like reviewing glycolysis, TCA, pentose phosphate etc for biochem? Anything specific for histology, pharmacology, physiology, pathology etc?
Don’t start your learning with First Aid because it’s a review book lol learn with an anatomy atlas and by looking at cadeveric images/models (NetAnatomy). Learn basics of pharmacodynamics. Biochem is taught but not heavily tested (mistake IMO), but be familiar with the basic pathways and their rate limiting steps. Histology is a joke, but you could learn the basic cell shapes (i.e. keratinized stratified squamous epithelium). Pharm is mostly pharmacodynamics and antibiotics at the end of the semester. Physiology only has a few lectures in FOM but they focus on membrane transport and fluid dynamics. There is not a lot of pathology in FOM. My biggest advice is to learn anatomy. This will free up a lot of time to study for FOM subjects.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
If you join the American Medical Association (AMA) for like $60 total to cover your membership for all 4 years of medical school, you can select to receive a free copy of First Aid.

Look into the UFAP (UWorld, First Aid, Pathoma & add Sletchy) study method for medical school.

Last edited:
Don’t start your learning with First Aid because it’s a review book lol learn with an anatomy atlas and by looking at cadeveric images/models (NetAnatomy). Learn basics of pharmacodynamics. Biochem is taught but not heavily tested (mistake IMO), but be familiar with the basic pathways and their rate limiting steps. Histology is a joke, but you could learn the basic cell shapes (i.e. keratinized stratified squamous epithelium). Pharm is mostly pharmacodynamics and antibiotics at the end of the semester. Physiology only has a few lectures in FOM but they focus on membrane transport and fluid dynamics. There is not a lot of pathology in FOM. My biggest advice is to learn anatomy. This will free up a lot of time to study for FOM subjects.
Teach yourself immunology with Ninja Nerd on YouTube or another resource. It’s taught terribly here.

1) I'll be living on campus, but are the locals generally friendly towards outsiders/non-whites?
2) I understand we are connected to ASU so it will be packed with undergrads too, but is parking difficult to find on-campus?
3) Any areas to avoid in Jonesboro?
4) How bad is the snow in Jonesboro? Would it be feasible to walk from circle apartments to class in the snow? I'm coming from a state where snow is non-existent- hence my knowledge about snow problems is rudimentary.
5) For the delta-care-a-van program, do students typically ride on the bus to the site, or are they responsible for finding their own transportation?

1) I'll be living on campus, but are the locals generally friendly towards outsiders/non-whites?
2) I understand we are connected to ASU so it will be packed with undergrads too, but is parking difficult to find on-campus?
3) Any areas to avoid in Jonesboro?
4) How bad is the snow in Jonesboro? Would it be feasible to walk from circle apartments to class in the snow? I'm coming from a state where snow is non-existent- hence my knowledge about snow problems is rudimentary.
5) For the delta-care-a-van program, do students typically ride on the bus to the site, or are they responsible for finding their own transportation?
1. Depends on the person like everywhere else, but I’d say most people are friendly.
2. Parking is adequate. If you’re living on campus you’ll never really need it as you can just walk. If you’re overly worried about it, you can pay to have a specific spot in one of the lots available to us that only you can park in.
3. The area just north of campus is pretty rough.
4. If it snows/ices class will most likely be cancelled. Much like where you’re from, the south does not handle snow well.
5. Depends on the availability and the event.

There are 100 in the GroupMe, but I’m not sure how representative that actually is
Im waiting for a response from the school at this point cause everwhere I look, no one has heard anything at all concerning AR. Atleast not recently or post end April interviews.

Anyone living on campus know when we can move-in, pick up our keys, find out who our roommate will be? I've emailed AState housing and they said that info should in be the housing portal but it's not.

Anyone living on campus know when we can move-in, pick up our keys, find out who our roommate will be? I've emailed AState housing and they said that info should in be the housing portal but it's not.
I'm not seeing anything either. Apparently The Circle is full but I'm not seeing anyone else assigned to my unit.

Admissions here has a past of accepting students off the waitlist up until even the first day of orientation. Not losing hope yet, but has there been any movement since early May?