Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
- I'm pretty sure I didn't have my letters submitted before I got invited to interview, although I think I got them in by the time I actually did the interview or soon after. I'm also fairly sure I didn't send my transcripts in until I was accepted, but I'm not positive about that and things could have changed.

- There's absolutely a significant number of non-traditional students in our class. Several people are 25-35 or older.

That's crazy that you got the interview before your letters! I might have to wait until August until I get mine because I have to wait on the committee. I'm also happy to know I'll be with other fellow non-trads! I'm 29 and will be 30 when I start. Sigh...

I submitted my secondary today. Now I just anxiously wait for the rest of the pieces to fall into place.

Thank you for the info!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
secondary and LORs submitted.

gonna give them a call tomorrow. hope they dont say we need to write an essay for "how did you learn about osteopathic med"

secondary and LORs submitted.

gonna give them a call tomorrow. hope they dont say we need to write an essay for "how did you learn about osteopathic med"

What are you calling them about?

Yeah, I received it in a separate email along with the attachment.

yeah, got one too, but I can't open...I even junked my adobe reader and reinstalled it.

Oh well:shrug:

Thisland, you say there weren't a lot of patient treatment opportunities. Do they not have any hands on clinical training then during the first year? Not even paid actors in a fake clinic? I think that kind of training is pretty useful and I would be sad if my first training of that sort was 3rd year rotations.

Yes and no? I think we're referring to two different things. We start PCM right away, which is the class where you learn to do all the parts of the physical exam. We had standardized patients (actors) for the tests. That class runs both years. I'm pretty sure during second year we'll start learning little procedures, too, like blood drawing, and the clinical exams involve a little more diagnosis.

We also have IGC once every two weeks, where you follow a doctor in either FM, IM or Peds at work for an afternoon. Some people did a lot of history taking/vitals/etc. in their IGC as well. There are local health fairs and medical mission trips where people can also practice the basic clinical stuff.

But we're not really treating anyone yet, unless you count practicing OMM as you learn it on various family members and friends.

What can't you guys open?

ok so the Y/N response was what everyone got for how did you learn about osteopathic medicine? haha that threw me for a loop.... the real question is.... did you put yes, or no???

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I put Yes then a short essay in the blank near it

Received, completed, and sent yesterday!

I wonder if kinesiology falls under this category? I had a professor teach me a couple classes that had kinesiology prefix (Kins 250 for example) but weren't scientifically based at all (introduction to coaching) and had her write a letter.....

It should be fine. Call to be sure.

Hey I was just wondering if anyone knew of an address that I can send my LORs to for NSU, that DOES NOT have a PO BOX number, the service im using through my university says UPS can't deliver to PO BOX addresses. Thanks.

yea there was no blank spot near it. it was for the next question

Please indicate which of the following applies. I grew up in a community of :
- Less than 10,000 people
- 10,000 to 50,000 people
- More than 50,000 people

cant get that pdf opened. called up their help desk and they didnt give me much help either. they told me it was a corrupted file

cant get that pdf opened. called up their help desk and they didnt give me much help either. they told me it was a corrupted file

I had this problem too...I used a different browser (instead of my mailbox) to access it and they it asked for the code, which is just the numerics of your bday mmddyyyy.

maybe that will help, maybe not...

not much to look at though ;)

Yeah in that blank I put a short thing on how I learned about osteopathic medicine and then at the end I answered thr question on what community I grew up in.

I had this problem too...I used a different browser (instead of my mailbox) to access it and they it asked for the code, which is just the numerics of your bday mmddyyyy.

maybe that will help, maybe not...

not much to look at though ;)
Which browser did you use? I couldn't open it using Firefox, IE, and Chrome... what else?

ok so the Y/N response was what everyone got for how did you learn about osteopathic medicine? haha that threw me for a loop.... the real question is.... did you put yes, or no???

Even more interesting if you put no then wrote a small essay would they reject you?
Ha! I put Yes. :xf:
I think that was the correct answer.... maybe
Yeah I put Yes then a short essay in the blank near it
I did the same also answer the other question in that same box.

That blank spot near it was for a different question wasn't it??
Maybe, but just putting yes and not filling in the school in some way can't work in your favor...

Yes but you still could have used it to explain a little about how you learned about osteopathy and answer the community question. I think they meant for this although it could be a sign that they really don't give a crap about what you put on that secondary....

We need a test subject.... Did anybody select no as an answer? If so we really are interested in following your progress in this application. :D

I opened it with Firefox. I hit the download button because the view option didn't work.

Has anyone spoken with the admissions office about what we were supposed to do for that osteopathic medicine question?

yes i just called them. lady said theyve been getting several calls regarding that question. it is their mistake. we dont need to write an essay

Which browser did you use? I couldn't open it using Firefox, IE, and Chrome... what else?

Works fine for me... I am a mac user though.... We have special powers

Im also a mac user...When I tried it in 'mail' application, it didn't work-it just said the file was corrupt. So I used safari, went to gmail and I was able to hit view.

You could download safari for windows, but I don't think its a browser problem if all the others didn't work.

Sorry!

Well everything has been submitted and the waiting begins!!!

Im also a mac user...When I tried it in 'mail' application, it didn't work-it just said the file was corrupt. So I used safari, went to gmail and I was able to hit view.

You could download safari for windows, but I don't think its a browser problem if all the others didn't work.

Sorry!

Google docs can open it but now it is telling me it is password protected and none of the passwords I used will open it....

Strange....

Google docs can open it but now it is telling me it is password protected and none of the passwords I used will open it....

Strange....

You might have to make a phone call about this... I remember being frustrated about the passwords. I am still frustrated with NSU's system because you will eventually get a few different log-in stuff and it just becomes a mess trying to figure out which ones to use.

If you find out which ones go where, I would be delighted to know. I think my account is currently locked because I tried too many combinations. I don't even bother with it anymore, I just call or email them.

You might have to make a phone call about this... I remember being frustrated about the passwords. I am still frustrated with NSU's system because you will eventually get a few different log-in stuff and it just becomes a mess trying to figure out which ones to use.

If you find out which ones go where, I would be delighted to know. I think my account is currently locked because I tried too many combinations. I don't even bother with it anymore, I just call or email them.

I noticed this on last years thread... This school is just not that hot with user friendly technology. Darn I just got a call from them telling me my signature page was all messed up and I will have to send in another one.

I will email them now.

I noticed this on last years thread... This school is just not that hot with user friendly technology. Darn I just got a call from them telling me my signature page was all messed up and I will have to send in another one.

I will email them now.

Haha, better get used to it! I think I've signed into NSU's system only a few times throughout this whole process. Just don't hesitate to give them a call, and most importantly: be patient!

Strange....

yeah, you might have to call...

you are using your birth date for the password right? Thats what they set it too...did you try your bday? MMDDYYYY like if you were born today 07052012...

just making sure

I will email them now.
What is that signature page?

What is that signature page?

The last page of the application where you print your name and the date. Well the date didn't come out right so I have to fax them a new copy of it. Most likely you are just fine, just seems like an issue on my part.

It may be just me, but I've sent them several emails to confirm they received everything, and I haven't heard back from them once. Are they really that bad with emails? I have no problem calling, I figured I would email first. What email address to NOVA have you guys been sending emails to?

yeah, you might have to call...

you are using your birth date for the password right? Thats what they set it too...did you try your bday? MMDDYYYY like if you were born today 07052012...

just making sure

I did this because that is exactly what it said to do in the e-mail that the secondary application summary PDF came with, and it worked. I had a few weird codes even though I used TextEdit to copy and past any responses, but I am sure I will not be the only one.

I also called about the osteopathy question, and, like someone else already said, they said it was their fault and we will not be held accountable for that question. I'm sure it won't hurt those who wrote something in the other questions box though. I just was not eager to write anymore than I had to when I already have 10 others MD apps to fill out. This is going to be a longggggg month. I'm just happy this secondary was so painless.

Did anyone get that email talking about how to pay for your medical education? Don't you think it's kind of odd how they're telling us how to pay for it before we're even accepted?

Do all of the other schools do this too?

Did anyone get that email talking about how to pay for your medical education? Don't you think it's kind of odd how they're telling us how to pay for it before we're even accepted?

Everyone who submits a secondary gets this e-mail. I remember reading in last years thread that it happened too. They just don't want you to wait to fill out FAFSA if you are going to need help paying for med school.

Everyone who submits a secondary gets this e-mail. I remember reading in last years thread that it happened too. They just don't want you to wait to fill out FAFSA if you are going to need help paying for med school.

Yep, got it too. And it is good to start thinking about this...but, if I remember correctly, the FAFSA resets each academic year. So, if you fill it out now, you'll just have to fill it out again next summer.

But, I guess they are just getting us thinking about it.:shrug:

I like this school a lot. Good location, good administration and good secondary. LOL.
Praying for an interview. :D

Yep, got it too. And it is good to start thinking about this...but, if I remember correctly, the FAFSA resets each academic year. So, if you fill it out now, you'll just have to fill it out again next summer.

But, I guess they are just getting us thinking about it.:shrug:

You mean next Spring, right? You don't want to wait til the summer to fill out your FAFSA. I would fill that thing out as soon as you file your taxes.

You mean next Spring, right? You don't want to wait til the summer to fill out your FAFSA. I would fill that thing out as soon as you file your taxes.

I just mean, your FAFSA is good for FALL and SPRING...so, yeah you could fill it out in the spring, or summer, depending on when you get your taxes in, and have it ready for the coming FALL and SPRING.

you overachiever ;)

I just mean, your FAFSA is good for FALL and SPRING...so, yeah you could fill it out in the spring, or summer, depending on when you get your taxes in, and have it ready for the coming FALL and SPRING.

you overachiever ;)

Haha! I might be a frequent flyer on SDN, but I wouldn't count myself as the norm around here. I forgot about my undergraduate transcript and only sent my master's transcript, so now I'm being headhunted for it.

I'll just say that when I went to one of my interviews they told us to get our FAFSA in as saint as possible (something crazy like March 1) because the financial aid coming from the school is first come-first served. Just looking out for y'all ;)

Haha! I might be a frequent flyer on SDN, but I wouldn't count myself as the norm around here. I forgot about my undergraduate transcript and only sent my master's transcript, so now I'm being headhunted for it.

I'll just say that when I went to one of my interviews they told us to get our FAFSA in as saint as possible (something crazy like March 1) because the financial aid coming from the school is first come-first served. Just looking out for y'all ;)

:highfive: