Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long do you think we should shadow a DO for the letter because mine pretty much said about 6 hours is good enough for him. I mean assuming I can talk about it thoughtfully in interviews.[/QUAOTE]
It's all individual, there is no set standard as to how many hours you have to put in shadowing or community service, as long as you have some kind of exposure to medicine to make a well-thought out decision that this is what you want to do for the rest of your life.
Thanks. I mean I was planning on updating AACOMAS after I shadowed this DO, which is where I would have put the 6 hours. Do you think I should even update it?
It is up to you. I don't think it is necessary. I didn't update my AACOMAS for new activities, and I had a lot of new shadowing experiences by the time I went to the interview. You can just bring it up during the interview if needed.

Members don't see this ad.

What is the minimum MCAT required to be considered for this school? Or does NSUCOM have a minimum?

Members don't see this ad :)
They do like a 28, but keep in mind they have accepted a few kids with a 24 this cycle. I myself was accepted with a 27.

Reactions: 2 users
What is the minimum MCAT required to be considered for this school? Or does NSUCOM have a minimum?
I beleive the average is around 28, so it means they accept plenty of applicants below that score and above.

Considering mine was a 10-6-11 I think the odds are good for you... Assuming your other credentials are stellar
3.62 cgpa/3.52 sgpa so as long as I get over the MCAT hurdle. Thanks a lot.
I have a question though, how do you like the non-academic life at NOVA? I hear Miami is close and what not, but I'm assuming med students dont have that much time to go there lol.

I have a question though, how do you like the non-academic life at NOVA? I hear Miami is close and what not, but I'm assuming med students dont have that much time to go there lol.
No matter where u go all med students will be busy. Miami is pretty close but still 30 minutes away. Las olas is only 10 minutes away.

Going to Miami is not that hard.... People make it seem like its across the country. It's a mere 30min. If you have the night off you can deff do it. I plan on spending any free night I have in Miami and not las olas lol. I have friends in Miami outside of med school lol.

Reactions: 1 user

From what I remember, there were three big trips to Miami this past year in my class. One was before school started, and the other two were birthday parties. There were probably other clique trips to Miami, but those three were the ones where a ton of people went (and where a lot of good stories come from, lol). After an exam, everyone usually went to Las Olas. Once in a while we would do the 5 min drive to a local bar for drinks and karaoke. It's not so much that we don't have time to go to Miami, since we do have a night off once in a while. It's just really convenient that a good night out is just 15 min away. Also, every Miami trip we've had has been insane. People go hard in Las Olas...but Miami is on another level. I like to think that Miami trips are for special occasions- not for every night that we have free.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who have already been accepted to NOVA, can you please tell me when you completed secondary, when you got an interview, and when you got an acceptance? I just want to see approximately what the timeline looks like for NOVA.

For those of you who have already been accepted to NOVA, can you please tell me when you completed secondary, when you got an interview, and when you got an acceptance? I just want to see approximately what the timeline looks like for NOVA.

To get a better representation of how the process worked last year, spend some time going over last year's thread around July/August/September. Narrow your search to "interview invite" and stuff like that. There will be a lot more people talking about it.

Hey guys,

Quick question: Is the account you create on WebSTAR the secondary application?

Thanks in advance! :)

Hope my stats get me some consideration, OOS 3.63 cGPA, 3.43 sGPA, 26 MCAT

Last edited:
Does this mean you got a secondary already?

Hey sundancing: I actually went to NSU's website and just created an account. It was so random lol :\. There is no questions either, just re-list health care experiences.

Hey sundancing: I actually went to NSU's website and just created an account. It was so random lol :\. There is no questions either, just re-list health care experiences.

How did you get the PIN for you ID?

Yes, I am wondering the same thing. How did you create your WebSTAR account? Doesn't the school send you an e-mail asking you to fill out a secondary application?

How did you get the PIN for you ID?
Yes, I am wondering the same thing. How did you create your WebSTAR account? Doesn't the school send you an e-mail asking you to fill out a secondary application?

Hey:
I have also applied to LMU-DOM, and they do not send you an email for a secondary invite, you just go to their website and create an account. On WebSTAR it said to enter a 6-digit code but did not specify whether this code is suppose to be provided via email or something. Also, it tells you to confirm your code (sort of like a password) and if it was a code that you were to receive via email it would not ask you to confirm.Thus, I just created a numerical code lol. Can someone who has applied to NSU-COM in the past confirm if this is correct? I haven't submitted the application yet so I do not know if they send you a confirmation email after you submit.

So i just called NOVA (theyre open saturdays :)) and they said yes, that webstar thing is the secondary. You just make up your own pin.

Can I create an account before my primary is verified?

Wow, that is strange. I just filled it out, thanks for pointing out the WebSTAR. I thought it would be coming via E-mail.

Wow, that is strange. I just filled it out, thanks for pointing out the WebSTAR. I thought it would be coming via E-mail.
You think the how'd you find out about osteopathy is a couple words. I just put my adviser.

If I remember from a few cycles ago I believe that NOVA instructed people not to fill out the secondary until they invite you to do so, otherwise you risk data loss and not having your file marked complete. This may have changed however

If I remember from a few cycles ago I believe that NOVA instructed people not to fill out the secondary until they invite you to do so, otherwise you risk data loss and not having your file marked complete. This may have changed however
Just called them they said its ok to submit before invitation

Every cycle this school has some kind of foul up that slows down everything and really makes the app a nightmare. I am hoping this year they will keep it clean.
I also remember an awesome question on the secondary " Explain why you want to be an osteopathic physician. Yes or No." ... That was a great laugh.
Also my buddy applied here last year and he also submitted the secondary before being invited and was also told that this was ok. He was never marked complete and was later told it was because he didn't wait for the invite.... Oh NOVA... What wonders will you bring us this year?

Every cycle this school has some kind of foul up that slows down everything and really makes the app a nightmare. I am hoping this year they will keep it clean.
I also remember an awesome question on the secondary " Explain why you want to be an osteopathic physician. Yes or No." ... That was a great laugh.
Also my buddy applied here last year and he also submitted the secondary before being invited and was also told that this was ok. He was never marked complete and was later told it was because he didn't wait for the invite.... Oh NOVA... What wonders will you bring us this year?
I'm kicking myself now for answering that question with 4 words

Hey:
I have also applied to LMU-DOM, and they do not send you an email for a secondary invite, you just go to their website and create an account. On WebSTAR it said to enter a 6-digit code but did not specify whether this code is suppose to be provided via email or something. Also, it tells you to confirm your code (sort of like a password) and if it was a code that you were to receive via email it would not ask you to confirm.Thus, I just created a numerical code lol. Can someone who has applied to NSU-COM in the past confirm if this is correct? I haven't submitted the application yet so I do not know if they send you a confirmation email after you submit.
Can you please PM me the link by any chance? I have been trying to access WebSTAR for the past 40 minutes and can't do it. It either says incorrect ID or PIN, or Sorry Cannot Proceed. :(

Can you please PM me the link by any chance? I have been trying to access WebSTAR for the past 40 minutes and can't do it. It either says incorrect ID or PIN, or Sorry Cannot Proceed. :(

PMing it right now.. :)

Anyone know if the DO-DMD program is available to international students?

I just called and was told that we should wait to receive the secondary invitation before creating an account and submitting o_O so confused now...

I just called and was told that we should wait to receive the secondary invitation before creating an account and submitting o_O so confused now...
I submitted it and received the "thanks for applying" confirmation email today.

Just got a invite to complete the secondary. It's wierd that I have to wait to be reimbursed with my fee waiver. Painless secondary though!

Sorry forgot to ask if for the list healthcare related volunteer experiences question, what exactly are you putting down? Are you just giving a brief summary, or are you putting down hours again? Are you also excluding shadowing (or non volunteer experiences) which were listed in your primaries?

That was my favorite application yet. Easy and straight to the point.

Just got a call from NOVA after sending in my secondary. They said everything is set for review.

Just got the email invitation -- first secondary yet!!! Woohoo!

Reactions: 1 users
I received the secondary today as well but I don't know if I should submit just yet or wait until I have all of my LOR's in Interfolio. I'll have them all by early July. Should I wait or should I submit?

Did anyone else think this was funny:

Asian Indian
Filipino
Japanese
Korean
Origins of Chinese
Other Asian Not Listed
Thai

Do we not send in letters of rec until we receive an interview invite?