Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where/how did you send your updates? I feel that my stats are at or above average for NSU, but have heard nothing since the confirmation call back in August. I would like to make sure to throw my name back in the mix before everything is all over!

I just sent emails to the main office. My updates were mostly of research publications that were all published within a short period of time, so every time one was published, I sent another email. I think it was the multiple emails that got them to do something about my application. When I did not hear back regarding an email, I called to make sure they had received it. A few times the updates were not put into my application so calling them would usually end up with it being updated.

Members don't see this ad.

Can any current student (or anyone who has knowledge about this) tell me about the international opportunities available? medical missionary trips? I read that Nova has even a masters in Disaster & Emergency preparedness that is part of the College of Osteopathic Medicine Academic Programs. Is Nova really big on disaster medicine? do you think I would definitely benefit from this program in some ways even if I am just a Med student here? I wanna devote part of my career working as a physician in disaster response... Thanks
There is an international medical outreach club that sets up a trip each year, this year being a spring break trip to Ecuador. There are two trips to Jamaica each year that are set up through a different organization (still part of Nova). You are allowed to set up elective and possibly rural rotations abroad as a fourth year and I believe there are some pre-arranged opportunities available for that, too. It helps a lot if you speak Spanish, since understandably most of those are in Latin America.

There is a disaster med club that organizes Medical Reserve Corps. and CERT training each semester. I doubt you'll want to pursue a simultaneous Masters after starting school.

Withdrew my acceptance today. A tough decision since I liked NSUCOM (and my $1250:)) a lot.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just for those curious about stats of accepted students. I was accepted in January.
GPA: 3.4
MCAT: 27

I'm instate, 3.6/30..... finished august....

Kinda sad, I haven't heard anything...NOVA is my number 1

+pity+

Anyone else with my stats not hear anything?

I'm instate, 3.6/30..... finished august....

Kinda sad, I haven't heard anything...NOVA is my number 1

+pity+

Anyone else with my stats not hear anything?

I am out of state 3.75, 28, submitted in August and have also heard nothing. Also speak fluent Spanish and have great ECs, thought that would be desirable at NSU...not sure what their methodology is as far as selecting for interviews though.

I received an II yesterday, so for those that have yet to hear anything, there's still hope my friend.

Members don't see this ad :)
I worked full time as a nurse while in undergrad... I'm pretty sure that's what compensated for my 3.4 gpa. Based off what I've seen from other accepted applicants, gpa and mcat are not big factors determining interview invites/acceptance... I believe, they mainly look for something in your application that makes you stand out. Also, they are only giving out 550 interviews this year. And from what I hear, they had 7,000 plus primary application... Not very odds.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey all! Is anybody else interviewing here tomorrow??

Also, does anybody have any advice for interviewing here and as to what to expect? I'm sure this has been asked before so I apologize for any redundancy, but it's difficult to sift through all 26 pages here :D

Last edited:
In regards to those odds, those are long odds but the key is setting yourself apart from the next person. I had 3.5 gpa and a 22 on my first MCAT score and got invited here before my second mcat score even came in & I'm from NY as well. I happened to have lab research and clinical research and close to 1k hours of shadowing experience/ a mission trip which I'm positive helped overlook my subpar initial MCAT score. They really want to see something on your application that makes them think, and at the same shows you've had clinical and research experience. Basically selling yourself as a unique individual to the admissions department.

@pamtas In regards to interviews, the most vital thing is to know your primary and secondary applications down right cold, because they will pull from it. For example, I listed chari malformation as one of many illnesses I had seen during my shadowing and was asked directly about how it presented, symptoms that patient had and the treatment for it. (LOL, that encounter happened 2 years ago btw) So I cannot stress this enough, know your applications and know yourself. The interview is very conversational and they allow you to really show them who you are, so if you get an interview, be sure to do that. lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Congrats, may I ask your stats? and state of residence?
Thank you! And I am FL resident. And I had an average MCAT but my GPA was pretty high along with different extracurriculars, etc.

Just interviewed here recently. NSU is a great institution with excellent faculty, staff, and a great overall program! I would love to become a member of this great family!

Got into nova in early February my stats are pretty bad but I felt like me reaching out to them really helped. Good luck guys!

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed on Mar. 5th and Monica said that decisions for my interviews (don't know about later ones) will be given out on Mar. 20th (late evening) at the latest.

I interviewed on Mar. 5th and Monica said that decisions for my interviews (don't know about later ones) will be given out on Mar. 20th (late evening) at the latest.
They told us that if we don't hear by the 20th we should contact them. So I was assuming we'd hear sometime this week, today at the latest but I could be wrong

Starting to get a bad feeling about the decision. Didn't they say if we aren't emailed by today that a waitlist/deny letter is being sent by mail? :dead:

Haven't heard anything either. At my interview I was told acceptances would be emailed everything else via snail mail

A brave soul should call and find out if the acceptances have been emailed out. :nailbiting:

Reactions: 2 users
I just want to know! Loved everything about this school when I interviewed!

Nothing here either, guys.... I hope this isn't a bad sign. But I don't remember Monica saying that wait list and denials would be sent via snail mail

Waitlist and rejection notifications are sent via snail mail. Acceptances are sent via email. From personal experience

Has anyone who interviewed March 5 received any sort of decision? I'm dying over here..

Really curious as to what's going on with the decisions... has anyone spoke to Monica regarding the Mar 5th interview decisions?

I interviewed March 3 and haven't heard anything. But haven't spoken to admissions or Monica yet.

I reached out to admissions but no reply yet.. I really hope that they just got delayed somehow and that I didn't get waitlisted or rejected :(

Accepted! Interview on 03/05. I am so excited!

Hey guys! Congratulations to all! I am still waiting to hear back from the university with hopefully a decision to give me an interview opportunity. Should I still be hopeful? Does anybody know when they stop interviewing? I have reached out to Ms. Linda Ferris a few times, actually meeting with her on Monday, and just reached out to Ms. Monica Sanchez via e-mail. Is there anything you would recommend I do to show them that I and other applicants in the same situation want this with what little amount of time given at this point?

I have 3.6 GPA, 25 MCAT (second time), 7 LOR, unique personal statement, 2 semesters research, many hours shadowing, many hours volunteering in university and community. I feel like everything they ask for I worked genuinely hard to attain. I am currently studying for the MCAT again, because why not? LOL I know my score is a few points below average but I felt as if I made up for it with my above average GPA and extracurriculars.

Thanks guys!

No email here. +pity+:bang:

Congrats to all that were accepted though!!! NSU is amazing and I loved my interview day there.

I interviewed on March 5th too! To those of you who were accepted yesterday (March 20th), were you IS or OOS?

Has anyone heard anything today (March 21st)?

I interviewed on Mar. 5th (OOS) and still have not heard anything...Maybe decisions will be delayed till Monday?? My stats are above average (3.91 cgpa, 3.96sgpa and 29 MCAT) and my interview went well too...

Last edited: