Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you who don't keep up with the NSU-COM Facebook page:

DR. ANTHONY J. SILVAGNI STEPS DOWN AS NSU-COM DEAN; DR. ELAINE WALLACE NAMED DEAN EFFECTIVE FEBRUARY 1 - BY NSU President George L. Hanbury II, Ph.D.

After 23 years as a dean of osteopathic medicine at two universities and more than 16 years as dean of the College of Osteopathic Medicine at NSU, Dr. Anthony Silvagni has informed me that he feels it is time for him to step down as dean and return to faculty. Dr. Silvagni has lead NSU’s College of Osteopathic Medicine with excellence and enthusiasm and as such NSU’s COM is recognized throughout the nation as a premier medical school whose faculty produces excellent physicians. He has indeed developed a superior faculty that has attracted the best and brightest students, and his personality and professionalism have allowed him to be recognized throughout the state and nation by osteopathic as well as allopathic physicians as a prominent leader in the medical profession.

*gasp* At least he will still be teaching at Nova. He seemed like a great person and dean when I interviewed. I wonder how this will affect people currently on the wait list. :unsure:

Members don't see this ad.

Does Nova silently pre-interview waitlist people? I've been complete since August and haven't heard a single peep from the school other than the initial phone call informing me that I'm complete. I've called twice over this period and both times they just say, "no decision has been made." Thing is, every other school has told me if I've been wait listed pending an interview invite.

I'm assuming yes.
+1

I haven't heard anything from Nova either.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interviewing here tomorrow. If anyone is willing to shed light on the interview I would greatly appreciate it! Feel free to PM me. I read on here that the questions are standard and it is open-file, but what would you rate the stress level of the interview? And is it very formal Q&A or more conversational? Thanks so much!

What you've read is correct, the interview is casual and conversational and it's open-file. I would say the only thing that made the stress level high was that the fact that all the interviewees are sitting in one room in a horseshoe pattern facing one another, and the interviewers come out and get you, so you never know exactly when they will come for you. You can tell everyone is nervous at that point, but otherwise the day isn't bad at all, and it really does seem like they are convincing you to choose them rather than you proving why they should choose you. My interview was literally 7 minutes long. I was extremely nervous because it was my first interview, and despite the fact that I stammered horrifically through the first two questions, they were reassuring and made it clear that the interview was to help them convince the adcom TO accept students, not to convince them why they shouldn't. I was asked "why NSUCOM", "Why osteopathic medicine", "What qualities are important in a doc", "What was your favorite but hardest graduate medical course" and "How do you balance medical school and your personal life". Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 user
First a special thanks to @Mking91 for sharing her experience with me previously. I interviewed there on Jan. 13 and agree with the above. My interviewers basically had a conversation with me about why I should chose Nova. Literally, rather than asking me why Nova, my interviewer almost seemed to say "So Mspeedwagon, based on your application you are an excellent fit for NSU b/c of your experience in... blah, blah, blah. Can you please expand on that?" The person had read every word in my file and knew every detail about me; my desire to practice as an oncologist, continue research and desire to work with underserved populations. They did not ask me anything about osteopathic medicine. All my questions were very specific to my application. If I have one piece of advise it is to know thy AACOMAS application. Know every last word. One of my interviewers was able to speak Arabic. If it wasn't a two on one interview, I may have talked Arabic more (I was nervous as this was my first interview and I refrained from using too much of it, but I did think that was pretty cool). I'm not in yet, but I'm feeling pretty good. They do sell the school to you most of the day (and it's an easy sell). If you interview now, you won't hear back till about the first week of February. If accepted, you'd have 14 days to put down a nonrefundable $1250 deposit. I did fall in love with the school and all it has to offer. I do have a few more interviews coming up, but I'd be very content ending up at Nova. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
So is Nova pretty much done with ii? So disappointed I wasn't able to snag an interview here; they're the only DO school that I didn't get an interview from. I have a feeling they expected a longer, detailed essay for the "how did you learn about osteopathic medicine," while I just wrote two or three sentences saying I learned about it through shadowing.

So is Nova pretty much done with ii? So disappointed I wasn't able to snag an interview here; they're the only DO school that I didn't get an interview from. I have a feeling they expected a longer, detailed essay for the "how did you learn about osteopathic medicine," while I just wrote two or three sentences saying I learned about it through shadowing.
Didn't help for me :/. No II from here either. What makes you say they're done giving out interviews?

Nova is done with ii? :cryi:

They most likely never got the chance to review everybody.

Personally, I believe those that posted NOVA is done with ii's have absolutely no idea what they're talking about!

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I believe those that posted NOVA is done with ii's have absolutely no idea what they're talking about!
So @nm825 just asked the question "so is Nova pretty much done with II" and everyone just started thinking they were done. To answer your question @nm825 Nova is not done with interviewing, before my interview, slots opened up for February. Most DO schools that I've talked too say that they interview well into March and April. Nova was my first interview so I understand how the waiting sucks...just have hope!!!! and remember it ain't over until its OVER!!! :)

@nm825 oh and I don't think it has anything to do with the question how did you hear about osteopathic medicine. my answer was one sentence.

Advice to anyone wait listed or even rejected with good stats: make sure Nova knows you are still available if you aren't accepted somewhere else, that you are willing to move at the last minute (beneficial if you live in FL), and the many reasons that Nova is your A #1 top choice. Work any connections you might have. It is a big class and there is usually some movement up to the first day of orientation and some people who are waitlisted are perfect candidates but there are just too many applicants. There are always a few people accepted an MD school last minute who change their minds or a family situation crops up. I know half a dozen people or more in my class started the second day of orientation. Several of my friends were either rejected or waitlisted but persisted and ended up with an acceptance three months before orientation, one month before, etc. Be polite but be persistent. They love enthusiastic, well-rounded applicants. Personality matters. We are a bunch of joiners and doers. It's a really great school and although med students can find plenty of things to complain about, we really are fortunate. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
To give some hope. I received an ii last week and I am interviewing on Feb.3--I did call to reiterate my interest. I was complete on Nov. 21 with an MCAT update in mid-December. Don't give up.

Reactions: 4 users
What do you think my chances are for an interview?
Stats: GPA: 3.91 MCAT 29 (11/7/11) CANADIAN

I was complete on Jan. 21st.

To give some hope. I received an ii last week and I am interviewing on Feb.3--I did call to reiterate my interest. I was complete on Nov. 21 with an MCAT update in mid-December. Don't give up.

What number did you call exactly? Whenever I call, I get a 1-800 number call center. Is there a better line? Thanks! And congrats on your ii, good luck to you!

What number did you call exactly? Whenever I call, I get a 1-800 number call center. Is there a better line? Thanks! And congrats on your ii, good luck to you!

Is that the line that initially asks for the extension number? I think the HPD building extension is either x21011 or x21101

otherwise just wait for a teller and ask for the College of Osteopathic Med or HPD department. I was connected pretty quickly this way.

Is that the line that initially asks for the extension number? I think the HPD building extension is either x21011 or x21101

otherwise just wait for a teller and ask for the College of Osteopathic Med or HPD department. I was connected pretty quickly this way.

Thank you! :)

Advice to anyone wait listed or even rejected with good stats: make sure Nova knows you are still available if you aren't accepted somewhere else, that you are willing to move at the last minute (beneficial if you live in FL), and the many reasons that Nova is your A #1 top choice. Work any connections you might have. It is a big class and there is usually some movement up to the first day of orientation and some people who are waitlisted are perfect candidates but there are just too many applicants. There are always a few people accepted an MD school last minute who change their minds or a family situation crops up. I know half a dozen people or more in my class started the second day of orientation. Several of my friends were either rejected or waitlisted but persisted and ended up with an acceptance three months before orientation, one month before, etc. Be polite but be persistent. They love enthusiastic, well-rounded applicants. Personality matters. We are a bunch of joiners and doers. It's a really great school and although med students can find plenty of things to complain about, we really are fortunate. Good luck!
Could you elaborate how people who were rejected went about having their applications reconsidered?

Just got acceptance email today! I wasn't expecting to hear anything for another week... Interviewed Jan. 20th.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Accepted. NY resident. This school has to be one of the most impressive DO schools out there. And great turnaround time. No waiting at all. If you get invite, do visit, it's really worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Accepted ..NJ resident !!! First Interview, First acceptance!!!Good luck to all the interviewees!!

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted!!! NY resident. Thrilled about it. Though, wish I had more time to decide before forking over the deposit as I have interviews on Feb. 11 and 12 at schools that may (or may not) trump Nova. Need to visit and see what they have to offer.

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone who got accepted! I'm still waiting, hoping to get off the alternate list.

Got an interview invite and I interview on Feb. 10! Second interview invite and I was wait listed after my first interview at FSU. Excited to see the school I've heard so much about from a friend of mine who's a 3rd year.

Got an interview invite and I interview on Feb. 10! Second interview invite and I was wait listed after my first interview at FSU. Excited to see the school I've heard so much about from a friend of mine who's a 3rd year.
Congratulations! When were you complete?

Nice, did you just receive the ii recently? I'm really hoping to snag one of the last iis here, but it looks like the clock is about to strike midnight.

Reactions: 2 users
Anybody have an idea as to when the housing applications become available for Rolling Hills?

Last edited:
Congratulations! When were you complete?

Thanks! I was complete back in September

Nice, did you just receive the ii recently? I'm really hoping to snag one of the last iis here, but it looks like the clock is about to strike midnight.

I just got my II on Tuesday and the only options were Tuesday or Thursday.

Hi everyone! It really seems like Nova has been quiet for lots of people this cycle...I've been complete since October and still nothing. I recently got accepted to ATSU- KCOM so I am certainly relieved, but I would LOVE to hear back from Nova!

I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered: but Nova sent me an email with a university email and online portal access. Does this signify anything, or no?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, congrats on ATSU-KCOM. I'm working on deciding between NOVA and KCOM (I have a few more interviewers, but one of these two schools is getting my deposit). To answer your question, the portal does not signify anything unfortunately. All applicants are given access to the portal. They upload things into it as you get further in. Only an interview invite will signify anything at this point. Good luck!

Hi everyone! It really seems like Nova has been quiet for lots of people this cycle...I've been complete since October and still nothing. I recently got accepted to ATSU- KCOM so I am certainly relieved, but I would LOVE to hear back from Nova!

I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered: but Nova sent me an email with a university email and online portal access. Does this signify anything, or no?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick response! So will the interview invite come through the portal or through my email?

So I called today to check on my status, and they said my review was complete and decision was pending. Two or three weeks ago they said it was under review. This makes me very nervous! :confused: This application process is taking years off my life, I'm tellin ya.

So I called today to check on my status, and they said my review was complete and decision was pending. Two or three weeks ago they said it was under review. This makes me very nervous! :confused: This application process is taking years off my life, I'm tellin ya.
When were you complete? What are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

Submitted my application in August...30mcat 3.2 ugpa. Still waiting to hear back from them. I called today and my file is also listed as 'decision pending'

@Torilynn92 I feel your pain!

Submitted my application in August...30mcat 3.2 ugpa. Still waiting to hear back from them. I called today and my file is also listed as 'decision pending'

@Torilynn92 I feel your pain!
Who are you calling to talk to someone? When I talked to someone last (about over a week ago) they said that my file was still under review (I have been complete since July). I mean I have pretty much given hope to this school, but I have sent about three updates to Monica Sanchez, and for the last two weeks, every time I call her office it goes straight to voice mail saying that she is not going to be in her office the entire day. :(

Who are you calling to talk to someone? When I talked to someone last (about over a week ago) they said that my file was still under review (I have been complete since July). I mean I have pretty much given hope to this school, but I have sent about three updates to Monica Sanchez, and for the last two weeks, every time I call her office it goes straight to voice mail saying that she is not going to be in her office the entire day. :(

I just called the 1-800 number and asked to be forwarded to the COM admissions office. Don't remember the name of the person I spoke to