Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II today! I actually lost hope since I submitted in early July, so I am excited! I think I'll be interviewing 3 Nov.

Screen Shot 2015-10-14 at 4.44.18 PM.png

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have interviewed, what time did you finish? What type of hotel/transportation arrangements did you have?

Thanks!

I
For those who have interviewed, what time did you finish? What type of hotel/transportation arrangements did you have?

Thanks!
I would recommend staying at Holiday Inn at Davie which is about 10 minutes shuttle service from both the FL airport and NSU. They offer NOVA price for under 100 bucks. Their shuttle picks from airport to hotel and hotel to NSU and I think NSU to airport as well. First shuttle is 6:30 in morning, perfect for interview time. Also provides breakfast. Hope that helps. Good Luck!!

I

I would recommend staying at Holiday Inn at Davie which is about 10 minutes shuttle service from both the FL airport and NSU. They offer NOVA price for under 100 bucks. Their shuttle picks from airport to hotel and hotel to NSU and I think NSU to airport as well. First shuttle is 6:30 in morning, perfect for interview time. Also provides breakfast. Hope that helps. Good Luck!!

Thank you very much!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats! I'm interested in knowing when you were complete.

Thanks! I submitted my secondary 4 July. And i got the complete call within a couple of weeks after that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I also got an interview yesterday! I'll be there on Nov 5th! Anyone else interviewing then?

I know it's crazy late in the cycle, but do y'all think it would be too late to apply here? I have a 31 MCAT (10/10/11) and 3.5 post-bacc (low undergrad GPA).

I know it's crazy late in the cycle, but do y'all think it would be too late to apply here? I have a 31 MCAT (10/10/11) and 3.5 post-bacc (low undergrad GPA).
I would say to go ahead and throw your application in the mix. It is really not all that late. DO schools have a later, longer cycle than MDs. If you were asking this for an MD i would tell you hell no! But it is still early in the DO cycle

Accepted!!! :D

no phone call or email; received the mail today although it was dated Oct 1; interviewed on Sept 10th

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Hey all!

If your coming from out of the state, where did you fly to or stay for your interview?

Also, what time does your interview day end around?

Lastly LOL is the medical school on the main campus?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey all!

If your coming from out of the state, where did you fly to or stay for your interview?

Also, what time does your interview day end around?

Lastly LOL is the medical school on the main campus?

Thanks!
I flew to FLL and used airbnb; it was cheaper than a hotel!

It ended around 4-ish but you can skip the last bus-tour part (I think... you should confirm this if you want/have to leave early!)

And yes! I didn't know there were multiple campuses for Nova??

Secondary submitted late July early August and there's no love here :( I really want to get an interview invite +pity+

They said they already got over 9000 applications here and they are sending II to 380ish... Whoever they put on waitlist has a good chance of getting pulled out as last year they pulled out 40 from waitlist. Last week was their 5th interview session.

Is it too early to send out an "update" letter? Been complete since early august and it's driving me crazy. Have 5 other invites...but I went to school at FAU and really really wanna stay in Ft laudy area. Shadowed a DO, another letter of rec, and new job with a cardiothoracic surgeon since i submitted my secondary. Should I wait a little longer to send/email a letter??

Hi all!

On the website it talks about how students must take a "comprehensive, discipline-based examination."

What do you guys know about this test? I just skimmed it on their website.

Thanks!

I flew to FLL and used airbnb; it was cheaper than a hotel!

It ended around 4-ish but you can skip the last bus-tour part (I think... you should confirm this if you want/have to leave early!)

And yes! I didn't know there were multiple campuses for Nova??

Thanks for the response!

There aren't multiple campuses, I was wrong lol

I might have to skip the tour since my flights at 6:20pm, I'll call to make sure.

Any tips you have from your interview day?

Thanks for the response!

I might have to skip the tour since my flights at 6:20pm, I'll call to make sure.

They hVe a 2 person panel interviewing you and it's all open file. 1 person seems to throw you with the random questions like "how do you cook your favorite food" or "what kind of animal would you be and why?"

The other interviewer asks you simple questions like why med, why nsu, and how would you adapt to the rigors of medical school, and possible study techniques you had. Then they ask you to ask questions which is always a good idea since it conveys interest.

good luck!

Is it too early to send out an "update" letter? Been complete since early august and it's driving me crazy. Have 5 other invites...but I went to school at FAU and really really wanna stay in Ft laudy area. Shadowed a DO, another letter of rec, and new job with a cardiothoracic surgeon since i submitted my secondary. Should I wait a little longer to send/email a letter??
I wish I knew an answer... I felt I should reply so u don't thing you are being ignored but it's the same debate we are all having if we call we look annoying but if we don't call how do they know we are interested? Overall knowing there's 9,000 applications I think it's best to sit tight since they have plenty to keep them busy

They said they already got over 9000 applications here and they are sending II to 380ish... Whoever they put on waitlist has a good chance of getting pulled out as last year they pulled out 40 from waitlist. Last week was their 5th interview session.
9000 wow
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1445225300.405847.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
In the letter I received, it mentioned the applicant pool was of "nearly 5000 indidviuals", but it wasn't clear if that was for this year or just generally.
Gotcha, that's a little different but still a lot of applicants

Thanks for the response!

When I called to ask if I could skip the tour, they said no! But when I was there, they were really chill about the whole thing so even if they say no on the phone, it wouldn't hurt to ask in person at the interview.

SDN interview feedback section was pretty spot on with the kind of questions I got at NSU interview. Other than that, it was very relaxed; both my interviewers were very conversational but the above poster is right in that one of the seemed to ask the "weird" or the "hard" questions and the other one was very happy lol.

Anybody get interview invites?
What dates have interviews been going on?
Does anybody know if there's a pattern (Monday every other week) or is everything just scheduled as it goes?

Thanks guys!

Very cool! I'm in west palm and an instate person too.

Anybody get interview invites?
What dates have interviews been going on?
Does anybody know if there's a pattern (Monday every other week) or is everything just scheduled as it goes?

Thanks guys!
I had one last year and got another one this year (waitlisted last year) and it seems like interviews are on Tuesday/Thursday. Those were the only days offered to me anyways!

Not sure if it's every week (probably not)

I'm not sure who your source is, but there was nowhere near 40 students that were taken off of the wait-list. I don't think it was even close to 10.

I'm not sure who your source is, but there was nowhere near 40 students that were taken off of the wait-list. I don't think it was even close to 10.
I was told by the admissions counselor at the interview.

I have yet to get verified by AACOMAS since I submitted in September. Is it wise to submit NSU's secondary now, or should I wait until I get verified? Or does it not matter?

I have yet to get verified by AACOMAS since I submitted in September. Is it wise to submit NSU's secondary now, or should I wait until I get verified? Or does it not matter?

Ya you really should wait to get verified and have them send you the secondary. In general, I don't think it reflects well (at all) if you just jump on the secondary without an invitation. Read their admission process/instructions online, it should have said something about this. Just stick to the general procedure or else it would show how you fail to follow instruction and thus probably not as good as those who follow instructions...

anyone know an email/phone that works to contact admissions?

Ya you really should wait to get verified and have them send you the secondary. In general, I don't think it reflects well (at all) if you just jump on the secondary without an invitation. Read their admission process/instructions online, it should have said something about this. Just stick to the general procedure or else it would show how you fail to follow instruction and thus probably not as good as those who follow instructions...

Okay, thank you! I didn't realize it was bad to do so! Glad I didn't jump the gun and submit.

Okay, thank you! I didn't realize it was bad to do so! Glad I didn't jump the gun and submit.

Haha, typical premed neuroticism!

No offense, but yes, this cycle is a long process. I've been complete since early July, and I have not heard a peep from Nova. Anyone in the same boat?

Reactions: 7 users

No offense, but yes, this cycle is a long process. I've been complete since early July, and I have not heard a peep from Nova. Anyone in the same boat?

The only thing I heard from them was when they called me to tell me my MCAT score was missing (weirdly every other school got it fine..) and that one of my letters wasn't signed. I haven't heard a peep since then :/.

The only thing I heard from them was when they called me to tell me my MCAT score was missing (weirdly every other school got it fine..) and that one of my letters wasn't signed. I haven't heard a peep since then :/.

Yeah, my portal says everything is completed and received...not sure why they passed me, but it is just slightly concerning, given that I have above average stats, EC's, and some ties to Florida.

+1
Yeah, my portal says everything is completed and received...not sure why they passed me, but it is just slightly concerning, given that I have above average stats, EC's, and some ties to Florida.

Admissions is truly a mystery :confused:

I'm on that boat :(

Admissions is truly a mystery :confused:
I just submitted my secondary yesterday and I got a call from them today saying my app was complete and they would review soon. They said it would take no more than 4 weeks.

Anyone else interested in the DO/DMD program?

NOVA......Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

article-2102539-11C74C87000005DC-752_634x855.jpg

Reactions: 4 users