Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think it basically means that they're keeping us active for now just in case not enough people put down deposits towards matriculation....
"Applications in this status remain active, but are not ranked." Thats just my opinion. Hopefully someone can follow-up with them and let us know here

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I received the pending email as well! What does this mean if its not a rejection?

I also got the pending notification. I plan to follow up with them tomorrow to figure out what that means.... It feels like a delayed rejection to me

I do know some people have gotten rejections via mail though

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone that received a "pending" applicant email actually interview?

Did anyone that received a "pending" applicant email actually interview?
That is a no for me. Really just should've sent the rejection notification, rather than this thing..:

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I wonder how many more interview dates they have if they're putting people on pending status rather than outright rejecting them?

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly if nova is your 1st choice and you got in somewhere else.
Lay deposit down on that school, defer for a year while u apply to nova again next year. It will totally be worth it.
Sometimes a sacrifice is worthy if it means achieving your dreams.
It's ultimately what I did, to get into the best osteopathic school in the country.
And now nova is my home :)

Honestly if nova is your 1st choice and you got in somewhere else.
Lay deposit down on that school, defer for a year while u apply to nova again next year. It will totally be worth it.
Sometimes a sacrifice is worthy if it means achieving your dreams.
It's ultimately what I did, to get into the best osteopathic school in the country.
And now nova is my home :)
I don't think thats the best idea... if the school you get into catches wind that you deferred just to apply elsewhere, that's not going to reflect well on you.

Reactions: 5 users
and not only that, you don't just "get" a deferral - schools make them available to students to pursue other interests (i.e., teach for America) for one year before starting med school. to apply to a better school isn't something you'll readily get a deferral for.

Last edited:
Your end goal is to be a doctor. If you get in somewhere take it! You will get a good education no matter what osteopathic school you go to. Best of luck everyone. But I hope you all end up at Nova!

Also got the pending candidate email yesterday. At this point in the cycle I'm mentally throwing in the towel.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the pending applicant email as well. What a joke of an admissions office to send that after absolutely 0 updates since the secondaries came out last summer. If their school is anything like their admissions office then I'm definitely glad I won't ever be a student there.

Getting a deferral is simple.
All you have to say is that you're facing financial hardship. And you need a year to get your affairs in order.
That is true that most schools offer the same.
But keep this in mind. People usually get residencies where they do rotations. And they usually do their rotations near their school.
Furthermore nearly 90% of physicians get jobs near where they did their residencies.
So with that said you're most likely going to be staying the next 15 (at least) years where you go to school.
Which is exactly why I made sure I got into nova in the long run.

All you have to say is that you're facing financial hardship. And you need a year to get your affairs in order.
But keep this in mind. People usually get residencies where they do rotations. And they usually do their rotations near their school.
Furthermore nearly 90% of physicians get jobs near where they did their residencies.
So with that said you're most likely going to be staying the next 15 (at least) years where you go to school.

it sounds to me like you're encouraging people to lie in order to get a deferral, and then apply elsewhere. good for you for choosing Nova, but again, you dont just get a deferral. some schools won't even accept applications for deferment. And when they do, they're evaluated on a case by case basis, and granted for legitimate reasons. If you're ACTUALLY facing financial hardship, thats another reason deferments are there. not for dishonest acceptees that are taking another spot from another student who TRULY would have wanted to go to that school, in order to play your cards at another institution.

@Goro, would appreciate your take on this.

Tiffany if you look at the class of 2016. A lot of the students are going out of state or north of Miami. However if you are dead set on a place like Broward, palmetto, or Sinai then going to nova may help. To be honest, good board scores and a solid interview is all you really need to match somewhere. Having a good audition rotation can be a game changer but a lot of people matched places without rotating there. I don't know what year you are at Nova but best of luck. I truly enjoyed my 4 years there. Every year gets better!

It's not so simple. Many schools ask you to sign an agreement that you will not apply to other schools.

There is no way the class is full already. People who interviewed there around march 10th or so all said the class was 75% full. .75 x ~240 = 180. They absolutely did not fill up 60 slots in 20 days. Which would be like 4 interview days based on spring break and the fact that they interview twice a week. Also, NSU probably accepts more students than seats available. I think overall, at this stage, with 4(?) more interview dates left, April 14th being last, there are probably ~30seats left? I could be wayyyyyy off in my assumptions and calculations but I don't believe they're just interviewing people for waitlist positions... They interviewed 400 for 240 slots. Thats 160 extra slots that were waitlisted or rejected. Lets say a 50-50 split (usually more waitlisted than rejected) 80 students waitlisted and they're going to add ALL late March and April interviewers to that? Seems highly unlikely... IDK, feel free to knock everything I just posted down but I'd be extremely surprised if I was totally off.

I'm just letting you guys know what I did.
And no taking a deferment is not taking someone else's spot.
Because that year someone gets taken off the wait list and starts in your place.
The following year In July they call you and ask you if you are still interested in the school.
At that point you say yes... etc...

By deferring you aren't takin anyone else's spot because it gets filled regaurdless.

I am not the first generation physician in my family. Third generation proudly representing here. So I am just passing on the knowledge my grandfather and mother bestowed upon me.

Deferment are some of the wisest academic and professional tools you can use.
Whether they are for schools, residencies, career start points
Or even publication times.

There is no way the class is full already. People who interviewed there around march 10th or so all said the class was 75% full. .75 x ~240 = 180. They absolutely did not fill up 60 slots in 20 days. Which would be like 4 interview days based on spring break and the fact that they interview twice a week. Also, NSU probably accepts more students than seats available. I think overall, at this stage, with 4(?) more interview dates left, April 14th being last, there are probably ~30seats left? I could be wayyyyyy off in my assumptions and calculations but I don't believe they're just interviewing people for waitlist positions... They interviewed 400 for 240 slots. Thats 160 extra slots that were waitlisted or rejected. Lets say a 50-50 split (usually more waitlisted than rejected) 80 students waitlisted and they're going to add ALL late March and April interviewers to that? Seems highly unlikely... IDK, feel free to knock everything I just posted down but I'd be extremely surprised if I was totally off.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. It definitely helped as I didn't know much about Nova's process and didn't fully know what to make of the pending candidate email I received. So their last interview date is definitely 4/14, right, and if we don't hear of an interview invite by then it means no chance left for this cycle, correct? Just making sure.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. It definitely helped as I didn't know much about Nova's process and didn't fully know what to make of the pending candidate email I received. So their last interview date is definitely 4/14, right, and if we don't hear of an interview invite by then it means no chance left for this cycle, correct? Just making sure.

Yeah I'd say that's a safe thing to assume :( I think people who received the "pending candidate" email are essentially waitlisted for the interview. If someone withdraws their interview slot then NSU would probably pick another person to interview from that pending candidate pool. But my post is also for the people who have interviewed or will be interviewing extremely late. I certainly wouldn't want to go into an interview thinking that I have no shot of getting in since they already filled up the class seats mid march...

I love all your math, but I see your a pre-med student and I ATTEND NSU-COM. As in, I got the information for the admission office and the class reps. Do you really think it's that hard to fill a medical school class?

Yes, class was OVER 75% full by March. Believe me or not, but I have nothing to gain from lying. I'm just saying for those that haven't heard, it's worth considering more interviews if you have them available to you.

P.S. NSU is going to need to be careful with over admitting this year. Last year they tried to introduce every hoop to jump through possible to try and force people to differ (schools get penalized if they take too many students). Ask anyone in the Class of 2019 about vaccinations and you'll see what I mean.

I'm just letting you guys know what I did.
And no taking a deferment is not taking someone else's spot.
Because that year someone gets taken off the wait list and starts in your place.
The following year In July they call you and ask you if you are still interested in the school.
At that point you say yes... etc...

By deferring you aren't takin anyone else's spot because it gets filled regaurdless.

I am not the first generation physician in my family. Third generation proudly representing here. So I am just passing on the knowledge my grandfather and mother bestowed upon me.

Deferment are some of the wisest academic and professional tools you can use.
Whether they are for schools, residencies, career start points
Or even publication times.

congrats on successfully pulling that off. but, n=1. that's not an intelligent idea, and it's not something you should be recommending to students who are currently applying.

I love all your math, but I see your a pre-med student and I ATTEND NSU-COM. As in, I got the information for the admission office and the class reps. Do you really think it's that hard to fill a medical school class?

Yes, class was OVER 75% full by March. Believe me or not, but I have nothing to gain from lying. I'm just saying for those that haven't heard, it's worth considering more interviews if you have them available to you.

P.S. NSU is going to need to be careful with over admitting this year. Last year they tried to introduce every hoop to jump through possible to try and force people to differ (schools get penalized if they take too many students). Ask anyone in the Class of 2019 about vaccinations and you'll see what I mean.

Oh I don't mean to say that you're lying or anything. I agree with you about the people who haven't heard anything about the interview yet. But what is your opinion about the people who are interviewing in April? Are they all just wait list spots?

Oh I don't mean to say that you're lying or anything. I agree with you about the people who haven't heard anything about the interview yet. But what is your opinion about the people who are interviewing in April? Are they all just wait list spots?

I interviewed on the 31st and was specifically told that we were not interviewing for the waitlist.

Reactions: 4 users

This. Also, it is very possible that a good chunk of those remaining seats were not accounting for all of the students who were forced to defer. I was one of those students and I am planning on matriculating.

I think there is confusion between what I'm saying and what those interviewing are saying, so let me clarify. Interview doesn't 100% mean wait list or denial at this point.

Per the school: "they have already accepted over the amount of seats available." HOWEVER, it's entire possible that more acceptances will go out. If you were interviewing in January/February, an interview almost automatically equals an acceptance (barring a complete disaster). 100% of people from my interview group (January) were accepted. The class is full, but MORE acceptances will likely go out, but much less so than earlier in the season (they are now cautious making sure they don't over enroll the class like they did last year. If you aren't aware and want to know details, ask about vaccination deadlines for class of 2019 (or see post above). I, rather failing, was trying to point out you were not accounting for forced deferrals in your math. There are a quite a number of seats that had been filled before interviews even started because of this.

Sorry all, I didn't mean to confuse the issue. I know med school acceptance is stressful as it is. Good luck and I expect to see all of you at Nova in the fall :).

PS - Go Gators... no hard feelings. I do like you went through the exercise of calculating the seats/interview dates etc. You'll fit in well here.

Last edited:
I think there is confusion between what I'm saying and what those interviewing are saying, so let me clarify. Interview doesn't 100% mean wait list or denial at this point.

Per the school: "they have already accepted over the amount of seats available." HOWEVER, it's entire possible that more acceptances will go out. If you were interviewing in January/February, an interview almost automatically equals an acceptance (barring a complete disaster). 100% of people from my interview group (January) were accepted. The class is full, but MORE acceptances will likely go out, but much less so than earlier in the season (they are now cautious making sure they don't over enroll the class like they did last year. If you aren't aware and want to know details, ask about vaccination deadlines for class of 2019 (or see post above). I, rather failing, was trying to point out you were not accounting for forced deferrals in your math. There are a quite a number of seats that had been filled before interviews even started because of this.

Sorry all, I didn't mean to confuse the issue. I know med school acceptance is stressful as it is. Good luck and I expect to see all of you at Nova in the fall :).

PS - Go Gators... no hard feelings. I do like you went through the exercise of calculating the seats/interview dates etc. You'll fit in well here.

The class has not been filled. As of now, that means they have already sent out acceptances and not had enough to fill the class. I would assume that is why they opened up 2 more interview dates in April.

You're correct. There was a deposit day and a number of second deposits weren't made apparently (or that's what I've been told). I'll try and get an update tomorrow on how many more acceptances may go out. I'll update the thread if I find out.

The class has not been filled. As of now, that means they have already sent out acceptances and not had enough to fill the class. I would assume that is why they opened up 2 more interview dates in April.

Hey no worries at all mspeedwagon. I appreciate you dropping by and helping out even though you've already gone through the process and are in medical school. I have an April interview and this would be a dream school to go into. My brother went here and I loved it everytime I visited. I know the interview is crazy late, but I'm hoping since my application was "complete" pretty late and they still granted me an interview; they like my stats on paper. I just have to win them over in the real thing lol. I'd love any advice from anyone who has already interviewed. What type of atmosphere was it, how should I prepare for it, etc. etc.

If anybody has lived or is living in Rolling Hills can you pm me? I have some questions about the rooms and I want the opinion of somebody that has actually lived there thanks guys! :)

How much is everyone expecting rent to be? I was looking at renting a house. With roommates its about 900$ per month.

I live behind Centro with a roommate and pay $820 including utilities/internet. I don't like my roommate (though she's nice). I should say, the main reason I don't like her is because she is a grad student and has an eternal amount of free time (i.e. is noisy). I STRONGLY recommend that you only consider living with another med student.

How much is everyone expecting rent to be? I was looking at renting a house. With roommates its about 900$ per month.

Last edited:
I recently looked at a bunch of places and if you rent a 2/2 apartment it's around 850-920 per person and if you do a 3/2 it's around 750-840. I haven't looked at homes though so can't compare.
Is the 850-920 including utilities by any chance?

Is the 850-920 including utilities by any chance?

There are cheaper apartments, albeit they may not be directly across the street from NOVA. I found a studio apartment available on forrent.com for $695.00 a month.

Last edited:
Hey no worries at all mspeedwagon. I appreciate you dropping by and helping out even though you've already gone through the process and are in medical school. I have an April interview and this would be a dream school to go into. My brother went here and I loved it everytime I visited. I know the interview is crazy late, but I'm hoping since my application was "complete" pretty late and they still granted me an interview; they like my stats on paper. I just have to win them over in the real thing lol. I'd love any advice from anyone who has already interviewed. What type of atmosphere was it, how should I prepare for it, etc. etc.

It's pretty laid back and conversational! I interviewed for about 15-20 minutes with two faculty members- one in an administrative role and one in a more clinical/research role. It was really interesting to hear about what they do and how NSU has helped them realize their dreams as well. The conversation was very back and forth, which took some of the pressure off of me :) I would definitely be prepared to answer specifically why you want to go to Nova, above any other medical school. I was so happy that I wasn't asked for the one millionth time why I want to be a doctor... Essentially they just want to have a personal encounter with you so that when they present you to the admissions committee, they will (hopefully) be able to advocate for you beyond what has already been presented on paper. Other than being prepared to answer "Why Nova?", I don't know as there is much prep work for this interview. Be on time, be rested, and be yourself! Good luck! An interview in April is still an interview- you have as good of a chance as anyone else

You're correct. There was a deposit day and a number of second deposits weren't made apparently (or that's what I've been told). I'll try and get an update tomorrow on how many more acceptances may go out. I'll update the thread if I find out.
were you able to find out how many more acceptances may be going out?

That's amazing.
Since the hospital has been approved nova is officially the #1 DO school in the country :D

Any word on how many beds the hospital is going to be?

That's amazing.
Since the hospital has been approved nova is officially the #1 DO school in the country :D
Here is the press release. Its certainly a very good school! Only a couple DO schools with hospitals (rowan, msucom, kcom, myb oucom/tcom?, pcom used to have one)

200 beds.

https://nsunews.nova.edu/hca-east-florida-received-state-approval-for-a-new-hospital-to-be-built-on-the-campus-of-nova-southeastern-university/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=social media&utm_campaign=HCA receives approval for hospital at NSU

When I spoke to the Dean she said they plan on buying out two nearby community hospitals to have sole royalties to them.
If that happens.....
Oh man..... the opportunities that would be bestowed upon us... lol

When they initially talked about the hospital a few years ago it was suppose to be a small community teaching hospital. It's not big enough to house all 3rd and 4th year students. I think they said 90 beds or less but that could have changed.

It's replacing plantation general hospital
I guess that's why they made it much larger!

Here is the press release. Its certainly a very good school! Only a couple DO schools with hospitals (rowan, msucom, kcom, myb oucom/tcom?, pcom used to have one)

200 beds.

https://nsunews.nova.edu/hca-east-florida-received-state-approval-for-a-new-hospital-to-be-built-on-the-campus-of-nova-southeastern-university/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=social media&utm_campaign=HCA receives approval for hospital at NSU
When they initially talked about the hospital a few years ago it was suppose to be a small community teaching hospital. It's not big enough to house all 3rd and 4th year students. I think they said 90 beds or less but that could have changed.
So does this hospital (seems like a small community teaching hospital) have a leg up on other hospitals in the region? I know that one of the big differences between MD and DO education is the quality of rotation sites/education that students receive. I believe that Ohio's DO school has a teaching hospital, thus making it a competitive school with a great clinical curriculum attached with it. How does this new teaching hospital compare with schools that have their own teaching hospitals as well?
How does this new and upcoming hospital compare with a bigger bed hospital but isn't a "teaching" hospital? I'm sure it's hard to compare as well.
I'm just unsure of where and how this new 200-bed teaching hospital compares with other hospitals. I will probably try to apply for a spot to rotate there and maybe apply for PGY-1 positions there, but want to know what the other options and the quality of those options are.

When I spoke to the Dean she said they plan on buying out two nearby community hospitals to have sole royalties to them.
If that happens.....
Oh man..... the opportunities that would be bestowed upon us... lol

I spoke to the president about it. There where zoning issues, lots of legislative problems. They fought for it. The hospital it is replacing is plantation up university drive. I don't know when this will be complete so don't bank on having this when you attend Nsu com btw.

Honestly the only good thing a new hospital is adept at is teaching students how the infrastructure works from the bottom up.
Since its new everyone has to carry their own weight, and your going to pick up on a lot of things you ordinarily wouldn't at an established place.
Will the curriculum be great off the bat?
Prbly not
Is is a good idea to rotate their and network?
He'll yeah!

So does this hospital (seems like a small community teaching hospital) have a leg up on other hospitals in the region? I know that one of the big differences between MD and DO education is the quality of rotation sites/education that students receive. I believe that Ohio's DO school has a teaching hospital, thus making it a competitive school with a great clinical curriculum attached with it. How does this new teaching hospital compare with schools that have their own teaching hospitals as well?
How does this new and upcoming hospital compare with a bigger bed hospital but isn't a "teaching" hospital? I'm sure it's hard to compare as well.
I'm just unsure of where and how this new 200-bed teaching hospital compares with other hospitals. I will probably try to apply for a spot to rotate there and maybe apply for PGY-1 positions there, but want to know what the other options and the quality of those options are.

Hard to say at this point it hasn't ven been built yet. It's not going to be Jackson. A couple schools have hospitals (osu, msu, rowan, kcom, Tcom and ucom myb not sure)

Last edited:
To be clear it's replacing plantation that already existed. Nova already rotated at plantation I don't think moving it physically on campus will all of the sudden turn NSU into Harvard. It's a nice move though.