Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am not being negative.
The only people who were taken off the wait list last year were locals who lived in very close proximity to nova. And 3 of them were accepted the day before orientation.
Wait list doesn't move in June but will move end of july.
It is ranked on 2 things in respects to late wait list movement.
Your biology section of your mcat and your proximity to the school.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not being negative.
The only people who were taken off the wait list last year were locals who lived in very close proximity to nova. And 3 of them were accepted the day before orientation.

I know for a fact that this isn't true. Nova is a respectable medical school, aka they know that where you live has no bearing on the type of Doctor you'll become...
try telling every student who was accepted off the waitlist in June that movement doesn't happen until the end of July. I've had personal correspondence with the school, and have heard pretty much the opposite of everything you've said thus far. also funny how you know exactly how the waitlist is ranked given that this is the first year they've done it?

as rjk4d3 said, please stop replying to this thread.

I am not being negative.

Where did you get this information from?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Since they are a respectable medical school they know that someone can't simply pack everything and move the night before orientation which is why they pick people who live nearby.
I'm not trying to discourage you, or be negative.
What I'm saying is the truth.

Since they are a respectable medical school they know that someone can't simply pack everything and move the night before orientation which is why they pick people who live nearby.
I'm not trying to discourage you, or be negative.
What I'm saying is the truth.
actually, that's exactly what they expect. it would be idiotic to exclude a more qualify candidate because of geographical location. that's not the truth whatsoever.

Go In the thread for last year and look at the last posts if you don't believe me.
Everyone taken of the list last min was a local.

Take the information as you want it.

Anyone here interested/accepted in the DO/DMD program? Was curious about the admissions process for the dual degree for next cycle. Thanks for the help!

For current students, how is the sizing on the white coats? Just got an email stating we need to order ours online.
I'm around a 36 chest (mens), fit into small size dress shirts with some room, but have heard to size down as the white coats run big.
I'm hesitant to order a 34 and was just wondering if any current students wear a 34 or a 36 and what your true chest size is.

for those of you on the waitlist, how long are you going to wait until it's realistically too late? i have an acceptance at another school, and will in reality need to start looking for a place and applying for financial aid there or else risk both those things falling through which would be a disaster. i very much want to attend Nova but with no timeline or news about the waitlist, I am hesistant it will come to fruition.
if you have another acceptance, I would just run with it. there really doesn't appear to be a timeline delineated. give it as much time as you are feasibly able to without compromising your opportunity for scholarships at the other school you were accepted to. Best of luck

have you had any correspondence with the school since you were placed on the waitlist?

Anyone here interested/accepted in the DO/DMD program? Was curious about the admissions process for the dual degree for next cycle. Thanks for the help!

I'm not exactly sure how the admissions process works, but at our graduation this past May only one person graduated from the program which I think is 6 years. The other two that were in the program decided to just do the dental program and the DO program. Best of luck if you decide to do it!

for those of you on the waitlist, how long are you going to wait until it's realistically too late? i have an acceptance at another school, and will in reality need to start looking for a place and applying for financial aid there or else risk both those things falling through which would be a disaster. i very much want to attend Nova but with no timeline or news about the waitlist, I am hesistant it will come to fruition.
If it were me, I'd contact Maricela and let her know your status with the acceptance and how you'd prefer to attend NOVA. I've read here where that has helped others before.

Let us know what she says please!
I've heard back and all my response was, "Thanks for your update. I'll add it to your application." I'm just happy to at least gotten a response to my update/intent letter.

What courses can count as the English/Humanities prereq?
I have English reading and writing courses, and plenty of psych.... would social psych cover this?

Members don't see this ad :)
What courses can count as the English/Humanities prereq?
I have English reading and writing courses, and plenty of psych.... would social psych cover this?

The requirement for NSUCOM is 6 units of English/Humanities with at least 3 units in English. Most schools consider social psych as a social science, but two English course would suffice this requirement!

I've heard back and all my response was, "Thanks for your update. I'll add it to your application." I'm just happy to at least gotten a response to my update/intent letter.
Waitlist movement has begun at NSU. Accepted this morning. Keep the faith peeps! Also, I am from out of state, so those of you stressing about being out of state, don't fret! I live on the other coast, so distance doesn't matter. They don't weigh your location that much. Don't get caught up in the hoopla above. Good luck y'all and GO SHARKS!!

Reactions: 8 users
Waitlist movement has begun at NSU. Accepted this morning. Keep the faith peeps! Also, I am from out of state, so those of you stressing about being out of state, don't fret! I live on the other coast, so distance doesn't matter. They don't weigh your location that much. Don't get caught up in the hoopla above. Good luck y'all and GO SHARKS!!

You give me hope so THANK YOU! Hopefully some of us on here will hear some good news soon...

What day did you interview? And do you mind sharing your stats with us?

You give me hope so THANK YOU! Hopefully some of us on here will hear some good news soon...

PM'd you. Hope my info helps you gain some perspective. Happy to share as much information as I can. I have been on the side of not knowing for the past 3 years, so I know the feeling all too well :/

Hey guys. I was also accepted off the waitlist yesterday but I will be giving up my seat. Just as DO_DoctorOfOpportunity previously said don't listen to the crazy posted earlier about location mattering to get off the waitlist, I'm from the Midwest. I interviewed at Nova end of February. I emailed Maricela my decision tonight so hopefully one of you guys will get some good news soon. Best of luck to all!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Hey guys. I was also accepted off the waitlist yesterday but I will be giving up my seat. Just as DO_DoctorOfOpportunity previously said don't listin to the crazy posted earlier about location mattering to get off the waitlist, I'm from the Midwest. I interviewed at Nova end of February. I emailed Maricela my decision tonight so hopefully one of you guys will get some good news soon. Best of luck to all!
thank you so much for this, best of luck to you with wherever you end up!

Congrats! When did you interview?

For those accepted, is there information sent by mail/email for any entrance requirements (white coat, background check, etc.) and setting up financial aid, housing.

For those accepted, is there information sent by mail/email for any entrance requirements (white coat, background check, etc.) and setting up financial aid, housing.

Just wondering, where you accepted off the WL?

Does anyone know the range of MCAT scores that were accepted in the 2015-16 cycle?

Last edited:
Hey guys ... I have made a to do list for accepted students ... Am I missing anything?

Sign code of conduct (at interview)
Submit deposit $2000 and Intent to Enroll, technical standards and dress code
Set up NSU email
Fill out Fafsa and send it to NSU .... OTHER SCHOOLS REQUIRE PARENTAL INFO IN ORDER TO QUALIFY FOR SCHOOL SCHOLASHIPS ANYBODY KNOW IF THIS HOLDS TRUE FOR NSU??
Make and account with Castle Branch and pay for background check and upload immunization reports
Order a white coat
Submit a housing contract and a $500 deposit if living on campus (Rolling Hills)

I'm still wondering when do we order scrubs and when do we get IDs
Any input on things I have missed? Thanks guys! Working as a team takes us farther

Hey guys ... I have made a to do list for accepted students ... Am I missing anything?

Sign code of conduct (at interview)
Submit deposit $2000 and Intent to Enroll, technical standards and dress code
Set up NSU email
Fill out Fafsa and send it to NSU .... OTHER SCHOOLS REQUIRE PARENTAL INFO IN ORDER TO QUALIFY FOR SCHOOL SCHOLASHIPS ANYBODY KNOW IF THIS HOLDS TRUE FOR NSU??
Make and account with Castle Branch and pay for background check and upload immunization reports
Order a white coat
Submit a housing contract and a $500 deposit if living on campus (Rolling Hills)

I'm still wondering when do we order scrubs and when do we get IDs
Any input on things I have missed? Thanks guys! Working as a team takes us farther
Don't forget to buy your shorts for opp and a stethoscope. You will receive an email for the required pdx equipment soon.

I'm not sure what you mean by order your scrubs. You can just go to any scrub shop or just buy them online. You don't need to wait to order those.

Everything else looks good to me.

Anyone with under a 500 MCAT mind sharing if you were accepted and what your GPA was and if there was anything "unusual"/ nontraditional about your app?

Last edited:
Don't forget to buy your shorts for opp and a stethoscope. You will receive an email for the required pdx equipment soon.

I'm not sure what you mean by order your scrubs. You can just go to any scrub shop or just buy them online. You don't need to wait to order those.

Everything else looks good to me.

What about the color? Will it change?

any recent WL movement? the silence is painful..

There is waitlist movement. I got accepted yesterday! 3.3 and a 27 oos can't wait to get to Florida. Good luck to everyone. If you have any questions PM me.

Reactions: 5 users
When does Nova start interviewing? I just submitted my secondary for the 2017-2018 incoming class

So I am on the WL and received a voicemail and email yesterday that I may be in the next round of acceptances. Did anyone else get this email or could shed some light on the chances of actually getting an acceptance after such news? NSU is my #1 choice, but I am flying out tomorrow to a different state as the other school I was accepted to starts in 2 weeks. I already rented a house and put all of my deposits down... Decisions decisions.

So I am on the WL and received a voicemail and email yesterday that I may be in the next round of acceptances. Did anyone else get this email or could shed some light on the chances of actually getting an acceptance after such news? NSU is my #1 choice, but I am flying out tomorrow to a different state as the other school I was accepted to starts in 2 weeks. I already rented a house and put all of my deposits down... Decisions decisions.

There has been some WL movement these past two weeks and it's possible that you end up getting off the waitlist. If you prefer to go to Nova, I recommend to get in touch with the admission office asap regarding your situation. You should probably follow your old plan for now and decide later if it's worth it to give up the deposit for NSU.

Will be giving up my spot here! Hopefully you will see some movement from the waitlist soon

Reactions: 1 users
I got accepted off the waitlist today so there is definitely movement going on. As I'm sitting here deciding whether or not to bail on my lease in a different state, can someone who goes to Nova provide some information regarding how much time is spent in class and how much direct class time is mandatory? How easy is it to get involved in research? Average board scores? Is there a dedicated study period given for boards? Any additional information would be helpful as well!

Reactions: 1 users
I got accepted off the waitlist today so there is definitely movement going on. As I'm sitting here deciding whether or not to bail on my lease in a different state, can someone who goes to Nova provide some information regarding how much time is spent in class and how much direct class time is mandatory? How easy is it to get involved in research? Average board scores? Is there a dedicated study period given for boards? Any additional information would be helpful as well!
There are a lot more current M1/M2s on the FB group who could help answer those questions
https://www.facebook.com/groups/276204512582120/

Last edited:

Congrats! Let us know what you decide please.
Btw, how much time did they give you to make your decision?

Congrats! Let us know what you decide please.
Btw, how much time did they give you to make your decision?
I need to accept by 5pm today and send in a deposit within 1 week. It's definitely not an easy decision but I'm leaning towards accepting