Nova Southeastern University (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so did Nova drop off the face of the planet? Have they sent any other II's except that one original batch that people seem to have gotten?
Exactly! It seems this way. I've only noticed 1 mass interview batch.

Members don't see this ad.

So there's no online portal for NSU where we can check our admissions status?

if you submitted your secondary in Jan... you must have had some crazy stats. Because from what I have read - this is pretty late. Mind sharing your stats?

Yes. I was fairly late, but keep in mind Nova interviews into April. When I interviewed, the class was approximately 60% full. My stats were 30 on old MCAT, 3.65 GPA, and 3.4 science along with research w/ pub and couple years experience working with a unique population.

So there's no online portal for NSU where we can check our admissions status?

If you mean checking to see if they received all of the required items: yes (webster.nova.edu). If you mean to see if you are under review or invited for an interview: no

Members don't see this ad :)
I am confused about the minimum GPA requirement and the "everybody gets a secondary" here:
If the minimum GPA required is 3.0, and one received a secondary with a sub 3.0 GPA, does it worth it/necessary to complete the secondary?

M1 here ... First interview was today I saw the interviewees during lunch I felt like a zoo animal since they purposely bring u around lunch time when its lively in the cafeteria lol ... It seems just like yesterday I did my interview time flies by!
I'll try to post about every interview I see for those of u trying to count the dates times the number of interviewers to calculate acceptances lol honestly tho you need to have said something inappropriate or alarming to not get in this early if u get an interview right now it's because they really like you on paper good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
So a little late to the game but finishing up my secondary. For the how did you learn about osteopathic medicine, did those of you who have gotten interviews write essays, or just briefly mention???

Mine is like 900 characters, because I learned about it through a conversation with a doctor. I feel like elaborating on the minor details of the conversation or how it came up is just fluff, and all I did after that was my own research on the field.

If they are truly looking for an essay w/ some sort of anecdote about why we feel like after learning about it, we want to pursue a career in it, I want to make sure I elaborate on that. Otherwise, I am just going to leave it as simply "here's how I learned about it"

So a little late to the game but finishing up my secondary. For the how did you learn about osteopathic medicine, did those of you who have gotten interviews write essays, or just briefly mention???

Mine is like 900 characters, because I learned about it through a conversation with a doctor. I feel like elaborating on the minor details of the conversation or how it came up is just fluff, and all I did after that was my own research on the field.

If they are truly looking for an essay w/ some sort of anecdote about why we feel like after learning about it, we want to pursue a career in it, I want to make sure I elaborate on that. Otherwise, I am just going to leave it as simply "here's how I learned about it"

I wrote an essay, but I think it's personal preference and depends on how it fits into the rest of your application/who you are as a person.

I'm a pretty anecdotal writer and that showed in my personal statement I think, so I continued that by attacking this question in essay form. outside of mentioning how I learned about osteopathic medicine initially, I also elaborated on how I kept being interested in it and pursuing more exposure continuously. I guess another way to interpret the question is "how are you continuously learning about osteopathic medicine."

I got called for an II, but the only available dates were next week, I couldnt attend those, and she said she'll let me know about other possible dates in the future. Does that mean I'm going to have to get reconsidered for an interview invite? anyone have this happen to them yet?

I got called for an II, but the only available dates were next week, I couldnt attend those, and she said she'll let me know about other possible dates in the future. Does that mean I'm going to have to get reconsidered for an interview invite? anyone have this happen to them yet?

i got an II 2 weeks ago and the earliest date i could get was october 11 when i scheduled through their website. i never got a call for an II

Do you guys know if we can get a request of our application on the secondary? I think I forgot to mention one of my community service on there. So, I would like to see my submitted secondary again.

Do you guys know if we can get a request of our application on the secondary? I think I forgot to mention one of my community service on there. So, I would like to see my submitted secondary again.
They sent you a pdf version of your secondary right after you submitted it.

Not late in the game at all! I wrote 3-4 sentences about how I learned about it, and I have a II coming up next month. Others have written an essay and have a II.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I have an additional letter of recommendation (beside 2 science, 1 non-science, 1 physician) which I want NOVA to receive then what should I do? Should I just send them directly via Interfolio?

Reactions: 1 user
Anybody else interviewing next week (08/25). I'm pretty excited i like this school :)

Reactions: 1 users
Anybody else interviewing next week (08/25). I'm pretty excited i like this school :)

8/23 for me! super excited to visit Florida :)

Did all of you have a traditional non-science reference letter? The last non-science course I took was a couple of years ago... I don't think I'll be able to get one submitted.

Did all of you have a traditional non-science reference letter? The last non-science course I took was a couple of years ago... I don't think I'll be able to get one submitted.

Speak with admissions. I had a similar scenario and they let me use my supervisor as a replacement.

"If the applicant has been out of school for at least two years, the applicant should contact an admissions counselor for the College of Osteopathic Medicine for further guidance."
http://osteopathic.nova.edu/do/admissions/procedures.html

Same here..I am missing a letter in Touro as well because they did not accept letter from computer science professor who only mentored me during my research but did not teach me any class.

Speak with admissions. I had a similar scenario and they let me use my supervisor as a replacement.

"If the applicant has been out of school for at least two years, the applicant should contact an admissions counselor for the College of Osteopathic Medicine for further guidance."
http://osteopathic.nova.edu/do/admissions/procedures.html
Did you apply to Touro Nevada? If so did they accept same thing in there as well?

Good luck to everyone that received interview invites! Has there been a "second batch" of II recently or have they been quiet? My application was complete 7/16

Reactions: 2 users
Good luck to everyone that received interview invites! Has there been a "second batch" of II recently or have they been quiet? My application was complete 7/16
I don't believe so...

Interview days today and Thursday! They usually do them Tuesdays and Thursdays best of luck I'll prob see you guys looking at me while I eat lunch lol

Interview days today and Thursday! They usually do them Tuesdays and Thursdays best of luck I'll prob see you guys looking at me while I eat lunch lol
How do you like Nova? why did you chose to go there?

anyone know what the practical experience is during interview day? it says it on the schedule online

Does NOVA will call/email you if your file is completed for review? Mine has been silence since I submitted my secondary which was on July 29th.

Does NOVA will call/email you if your file is completed for review? Mine has been silence since I submitted my secondary which was on July 29th.
Yes, once your file is complete for review you should get a call.

Yes, once your file is complete for review you should get a call.
I have not received any calls. Last email I recieved was that "you materials have been received'.

I have not received any calls. Last email I recieved was that "you materials have been received'.
Check your status on webstar.nova.edu. I never got an email saying that so maybe that email you got is equivalent to a call.

Interviewed here today. Really like what I saw! Fairly chill interview.

Last edited:
Can you post a reflection when you get a chance. (What you liked, disliked, tips for those interviewing soon).

Thanks a lot!

I'll post my impressions later on this evening, but I cannot discuss anything question related due to the ethical issues involved in that.

What I liked:
- First and foremost, I really dug the energy of the students there and campus as a whole. Very friendly and upbeat!
- The campus is much larger than expected and the facilities are really nice! Especially the library which is apparently the largest library in the state of Florida.
- The Dean was very knowledgeable and is a "straight shooter". She emphasized the importance of finding a school that felt right for each of us, whether it be Nova or some other school. I appreciated hearing that.
- Nova is building its own hospital!
- Nova is partnered with 25+ hospitals.
- Rotations are set up for you. No calling , no hassle.
- Lots of opportunities for community service projects serving abroad.
- Very friendly and helpful staff members.

What I disliked:
The issues I personally had were very minor to be honest.
- The humidity takes some getting used to. (Especially when in interview clothing)
- Library is not 24 hours. Not that we should be doing all nighters in med school anyways.
- Haven't experienced hurricanes yet, but I'm sure that'll be something thats no fun.

Tips for those interviewing:
Honestly guys its nothing you haven't heard before, be confident and be yourself. The interviews are not stressful nor are they long (<20 mins), they just really want to get to know you and your motivations regarding medicine. Articulate those as well as you can. Relax!

Overall, I'm digging this campus and wouldn't mind gettin some love! Hope this helps out guys.

Reactions: 10 users
What I liked:
- First and foremost, I really dug the energy of the students there and campus as a whole. Very friendly and upbeat!
- The campus is much larger than expected and the facilities are really nice! Especially the library which is apparently the largest library in the state of Florida.
- The Dean was very knowledgeable and is a "straight shooter". She emphasized the importance of finding a school that felt right for each of us, whether it be Nova or some other school. I appreciated hearing that.
- Nova is building its own hospital!
- Nova is partnered with 25+ hospitals.
- Rotations are set up for you. No calling , no hassle.
- Lots of opportunities for community service projects serving abroad.
- Very friendly and helpful staff members.

What I disliked:
The issues I personally had were very minor to be honest.
- The humidity takes some getting used to. (Especially when in interview clothing)
- Library is not 24 hours. Not that we should be doing all nighters in med school anyways.
- Haven't experienced hurricanes yet, but I'm sure that'll be something thats no fun.

Tips for those interviewing:
Honestly guys its nothing you haven't heard before, be confident and be yourself. The interviews are not stressful nor are they long (<20 mins), they just really want to get to know you and your motivations regarding medicine. Articulate those as well as you can. Relax!

Overall, I'm digging this campus and wouldn't mind gettin some love! Hope this helps out guys.

Glad you had a positive experience! Did you guys get to tour the new research building yet? It will be up and running in October - there are A LOT of opportunities available for everyone.

Also, we have night owl study rooms available on campus for those who wants to study past midnight. Good luck!

interview day was fun! a bit belated since I knocked out cause west coast to east coast time difference really sucks, but thoughts:

general overview of interview day:
- check-in at 8am, will wait with other interviewees before being taken into a conference room.
- admissions counselors will make introductions, then will go around the room and introduce yourselves.
- there are two split interview groups; one will take a tour with student ambassadors while the other group interviews, then switch.
- entire group will reconvene for tour of simulation lab and demonstration of OMT by OPP fellows.
- lunch will be served in the conference room, and a faculty member will give a presentation about NSU-COM.
- meet with the dean and ask questions (she's such an interesting storyteller and a very genuine person).
- campus tour via shuttles with undergraduate representatives, including graduate housing, main campus, gym etc.

about the actual interview (please keep in mind this is my personal experience and yours may vary):
- ranges from 15-25 minutes or so; some student ambassadors told us that usually it's 15-20, but some may have been a little longer this first run since we were the first interview group of the season.
- two faculty for each interview, very conversational but VERY thorough.
- know your application well, including timelines, significant events, volunteering and research experiences, and possible questionable areas.
- both my interviewers were incredibly engaged and thought-provoking, and I felt like a lot of ethical implications were sort of tied into their interview questions even though they were all about me. I personally enjoy this method of getting to know someone as opposed to asking MMI-style ethical questions, but of course it's different for everyone.
- don't worry if you don't get a chance to ask the interviewers any questions (especially since the interview is so short, I'd recommend focusing on yourself more), and there are plenty of chances later to ask the dean, student ambassadors, lunchtime presenter, admissions counselors etc.

general thoughts and tidbits:
- give yourself an extra 10-15 minutes if you're driving in; traffic is awful and the parking garages are a bit cramped. also make sure to print out the interview parking pass so you can park in the leveled parking garages for free.
- tip (for ladies especially): wear comfortable shoes! there's quite a bit of walking even though the tour at the end is via shuttle.
- NSU is a huge campus compared to many others, as it houses an undergraduate campus, a lot of other graduate programs, and many other health professional programs like nursing etc. this can be both good and bad, as you really get that large-campus feel and there are more resources and things going on, but it can be a bit distracting and very bustling. I do like the fact that you're really immersed in interprofessionalism though.
- this program is VERY supportive of student groups and students helping each other. the internal resources seem to be really amazing, especially the way our student ambassadors described it. that camaraderie is really impressive, and there seem to be a good focus on not letting anyone fall through the cracks even though the 200+ class is relatively large every year.
- lots and lots of student groups, so numerous opportunities for outreach and community service and volunteering (there's also a community service requirement).
- good resources for research because of how extensive the campus is and how many faculty there are actually on campus, which is great.
- lecture attendance is not mandatory, and all lectures are recorded and uploaded online. can be good or bad, but up to each person's individual learning style.
- exams are multiple choice for the most part, and the grading is a number grade for most courses (such as 85% = 0.85 x credits of that class). I find this a bit intimidating, but 70% is passing and I was told it's not that bad.
- lots of established rotation sites, especially for core rotations. seem to be lots of affiliated residency spots as well. majority of these are in Florida, understandably.

.. and of course, I wrote a novel without meaning to. please let me know if anyone has more questions!
good luck to everyone with upcoming interviews! @getfat @BruceWayneJr

Reactions: 9 users
interview day was fun! a bit belated since I knocked out cause west coast to east coast time difference really sucks, but thoughts:

general overview of interview day:
- check-in at 8am, will wait with other interviewees before being taken into a conference room.
- admissions counselors will make introductions, then will go around the room and introduce yourselves.
- there are two split interview groups; one will take a tour with student ambassadors while the other group interviews, then switch.
- entire group will reconvene for tour of simulation lab and demonstration of OMT by OPP fellows.
- lunch will be served in the conference room, and a faculty member will give a presentation about NSU-COM.
- meet with the dean and ask questions (she's such an interesting storyteller and a very genuine person).
- campus tour via shuttles with undergraduate representatives, including graduate housing, main campus, gym etc.

about the actual interview (please keep in mind this is my personal experience and yours may vary):
- ranges from 15-25 minutes or so; some student ambassadors told us that usually it's 15-20, but some may have been a little longer this first run since we were the first interview group of the season.
- two faculty for each interview, very conversational but VERY thorough.
- know your application well, including timelines, significant events, volunteering and research experiences, and possible questionable areas.
- both my interviewers were incredibly engaged and thought-provoking, and I felt like a lot of ethical implications were sort of tied into their interview questions even though they were all about me. I personally enjoy this method of getting to know someone as opposed to asking MMI-style ethical questions, but of course it's different for everyone.
- don't worry if you don't get a chance to ask the interviewers any questions (especially since the interview is so short, I'd recommend focusing on yourself more), and there are plenty of chances later to ask the dean, student ambassadors, lunchtime presenter, admissions counselors etc.

general thoughts and tidbits:
- give yourself an extra 10-15 minutes if you're driving in; traffic is awful and the parking garages are a bit cramped. also make sure to print out the interview parking pass so you can park in the leveled parking garages for free.
- tip (for ladies especially): wear comfortable shoes! there's quite a bit of walking even though the tour at the end is via shuttle.
- NSU is a huge campus compared to many others, as it houses an undergraduate campus, a lot of other graduate programs, and many other health professional programs like nursing etc. this can be both good and bad, as you really get that large-campus feel and there are more resources and things going on, but it can be a bit distracting and very bustling. I do like the fact that you're really immersed in interprofessionalism though.
- this program is VERY supportive of student groups and students helping each other. the internal resources seem to be really amazing, especially the way our student ambassadors described it. that camaraderie is really impressive, and there seem to be a good focus on not letting anyone fall through the cracks even though the 200+ class is relatively large every year.
- lots and lots of student groups, so numerous opportunities for outreach and community service and volunteering (there's also a community service requirement).
- good resources for research because of how extensive the campus is and how many faculty there are actually on campus, which is great.
- lecture attendance is not mandatory, and all lectures are recorded and uploaded online. can be good or bad, but up to each person's individual learning style.
- exams are multiple choice for the most part, and the grading is a number grade for most courses (such as 85% = 0.85 x credits of that class). I find this a bit intimidating, but 70% is passing and I was told it's not that bad.
- lots of established rotation sites, especially for core rotations. seem to be lots of affiliated residency spots as well. majority of these are in Florida, understandably.

.. and of course, I wrote a novel without meaning to. please let me know if anyone has more questions!
good luck to everyone with upcoming interviews! @getfat @BruceWayneJr

Great summary! Couldn't have said it better myself.

The know your app tidbit was spot on, I didn't personally get hit with ethics but my experiences on the app were brought up multiple times.

See you on 9/12 and 9/16! @gamieg

Glad you had a positive experience! Did you guys get to tour the new research building yet? It will be up and running in October - there are A LOT of opportunities available for everyone.

Also, we have night owl study rooms available on campus for those who wants to study past midnight. Good luck!

Thanks bud. Aaaah ok thanks for clearing that up! No we didn't actually get a chance to go into the research building (It was the one that's right by the gym right?).

Last edited:
Great summary! Couldn't have said it better myself.

The know your app tidbit was spot on, I didn't personally get hit with ethics but my experiences on the app were brought up multiple times.

See you on 9/12 and 9/16! @gamieg

Thanks bud. Aaaah ok thanks for clearing that up! No we didn't actually get a chance to go into the research building (It was the one that's right by the gym right?).

Aww I see. It's right next to the HPD Building and the parking structure (See below).

ccr-render.jpg

is it just me or does that look like some presidential 5 star hotel lol

Reactions: 5 users
Anybody have issues contacting the admissions office via email? I sent a question to the HPDadmissionsinfo email address on the 16th and haven't heard anything back yet.

How are the athletic/fitness facilities at or nearby NSU?

How do you like Nova? why did you chose to go there?
I love it here the environment is great and I'm not just saying Florida beach and whatnot since we really don't have time to go out but definitely amazing ... The M2 are super helpful and so are the master students (they took the main sciences classes during their masters so they tutor us the M1)

Btw I saw a few of you on Tuesday some of you dropped by the OPP lecture which was nice Dr. Boesler is awesome and super nice and said hi to some of you ... Another group that was touring with Tyler saw our biochem lecture (sorry u saw that!) People don't like to go to biochem plus everybody is crazy studying for the anatomy test which is coming up on Monday!!!! >.<

Anywho lol nova is awesome and with great resources! :)

This is for everybody feel free to PM with any questions don't chat me because it goes to my alerts and I can miss the message ... Ur free to copy and share anything I say to u but I'm just asking for this so I don't miss ur msg :) happy interviewing!