Official 2014-2015 Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is worse than last year. A few programs have not even retrieved my application.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure when last year they started sending out int. but most of the people I asked, they said they got their interviews around August, second week or so.....

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Invite from Duke.

Interview List
BIDMC: 07/18
Duke: 07/28
Moffit/USF: 07/18
Michigan: 07/18
University of Rochester: 7/23
Vanderbilt: 07/23
Virginia Commonwealth: 07/22

Reactions: 5 users
Browsing through last year's thread, I don't see much feedback post-interview from people. Any way to know what people's impressions were of programs post-interview? I, personally, am finding it difficult to distinguish between many programs based on website alone..

Invite from Duke.

Interview List

Congrats on the invite!

AMG. Large academic residency. Couple pubs/posters/decent scores (99/99/was alive for step 3)/assume decent LORs/ unlike now interspersed verbs with nouns in PS.

Just Updating the List. Let us know about invites, hopefully this list helps others next year. Once the season moves along, we should create a master interview impressions thread. Nothing to deep, just some important facts for future applicants (i.e. months of research, balance between heme and onc, etc). Congrats to all of those with interviews so far and good luck to everyone waiting for invites (including me ;))

Interview List
ECU: 07/25
NYU: 07/28

Reactions: 2 users
hey y'all, i've been lurking so gd hard the last few weeks thought i should let you guys know that I got an interview invite today from Fox Chase.

Hey guys,

Not a frequent poster but just wanted to contribute since this forum has been a huge help to me...got an invite from Orlando Health today

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Not a frequent poster but just wanted to contribute since this forum has been a huge help to me...got an invite from Orlando Health today

Congrats to Preester and Sunitinib!!

Interview List
Fox Chase: 07/29
Orlando Health: 07/29

UCLA-harbor invite today

Hey guys,

Congrats preetster. If you don't mind, would you be kind to post ur credentials. Thanks!

Hey there. Just like Sunitinib, posting for the first time, but stalking for a long time. Received UCLA-Harbor and UCSF invites today!

Congrats on ucsf!!

I wonder how many programs sent out interviews that we don't know about?

Just Updating the List:

Interview List
UCLA-Harbor-07/29
UCSF-07/29

Last edited:
Congrats on ucsf!!

I wonder how many programs sent out interviews that we don't know about?

I think we have a decent number of good applicants in this forum ... if any of the big places send invites, we'll probably know.

Looking again at last year's invite thread, it seems like mid-August is the time to get concerned if we don't get enough invites by then. This's starting to get somewhat stressful. best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats RNCS1234 and Oncolious, mind posting your credentials.
Looks like the Interview pace is picking up!. hope to get some thing soon :/

Brown IV today

AMG from mid-tier med school and residency program, above avg exam scores, decent letters, PS, moderate research etc.
Hope the next 2 weeks are very active!

Brown as well. Updated the list below.

Brown: 07/30
Georgetown: 07/30
UCLA-Harbor: 07/29
UCSF: 07/29
UNC: 07/30

Congrats to the above!

0/8. Anxiety starting to set back in. Did the ERAS fee come with a PRN ativan?

Yale: 07/30

Hello friends, i am an IMG and on J1 visa. No interview so far. I know it is early but i have already started getting sleepless nights :)

I need a sincere advice from you guys especially someone who obtained fellowship on J1. I want to know if with my credentials i have a chance to get into any program or not. I am talking about probability, obviously no body can predict it. I am in a university affiliated community program, will be finishing my residency soon and will be starting chief residency in another institute. My scores are 99,99, 88. I have 4 research poster presentations (three 3rd authors at ASCO and an International conference, one 1st author at local ACP meeting which won 2nd place), Several case reports posters/oral presentations (>10) at local meetings, Have 4 submitted publications, two 1st author , two 2nd author. Two more publications will be submitted very soon (One 1st author, one 3rd author), Also won institutional grant for junior investigator for one of my projects although this project will not be finished before the interview season. I have couple of quality improvement projects.

I have great lor's and my PD and faculty have already contacted the places of their origin for me but no response yet.

I have several weak points in my application: IMG, need visa, no true publications just submitted and residency from university affiliated community program. That's why i have applied broadly (>90 programs).
So far i have 1 rejection, No IV.

Will really appreciate if i can get some advice regarding my application and what will be the best alternative if i do not get into the heme-onc? Doing waiver, get GC and reapply with more research experience (For that i will have to wait for 4-5 years to reapply) or do one year fellowship like palliative care/transfusion medicine/leukemia/lymphoma and/or preventive oncology?

Thanks a lot

Just a confirmation guys; emails will always come to my personal mailbox either directly or notifying that I got a message in the message center. I don't have to keep checking my message center as well as my email all the time right?

Just a confirmation guys; emails will always come to my personal mailbox either directly or notifying that I got a message in the message center. I don't have to keep checking my message center as well as my email all the time right?

Correct. Either way you'll get an email in your personal email.

Hello friends, i am an IMG and on J1 visa. No interview so far. I know it is early but i have already started getting sleepless nights :)

I need a sincere advice from you guys especially someone who obtained fellowship on J1. I want to know if with my credentials i have a chance to get into any program or not. I am talking about probability, obviously no body can predict it. I am in a university affiliated community program, will be finishing my residency soon and will be starting chief residency in another institute. My scores are 99,99, 88. I have 4 research poster presentations (three 3rd authors at ASCO and an International conference, one 1st author at local ACP meeting which won 2nd place), Several case reports posters/oral presentations (>10) at local meetings, Have 4 submitted publications, two 1st author , two 2nd author. Two more publications will be submitted very soon (One 1st author, one 3rd author), Also won institutional grant for junior investigator for one of my projects although this project will not be finished before the interview season. I have couple of quality improvement projects.

I have great lor's and my PD and faculty have already contacted the places of their origin for me but no response yet.

I have several weak points in my application: IMG, need visa, no true publications just submitted and residency from university affiliated community program. That's why i have applied broadly (>90 programs).
So far i have 1 rejection, No IV.

Will really appreciate if i can get some advice regarding my application and what will be the best alternative if i do not get into the heme-onc? Doing waiver, get GC and reapply with more research experience (For that i will have to wait for 4-5 years to reapply) or do one year fellowship like palliative care/transfusion medicine/leukemia/lymphoma and/or preventive oncology?

Thanks a lot

I'll be honest with you such posts just don't help anybody unless you are asking for some assurance. I don't see any real objective benefit of giving probabilty to match thing! If anyone told you won't match or your chances are slim, you aren't gonna cancel these 90 applications, are you?

BUT to make you happy read the rest
Yout resume is strong for an IMG who needs visa/from a community program.

Those fellowships will help, still you already applied this year! Wait and see.....

On some occasions a message might be delivered to the inbox but not your email. This has been reported by others in past years. This happened to me once during residency. I usually check my inbox once in the afternoon and once at night.

I'll be honest with you such posts just don't help anybody unless you are asking for some assurance. I don't see any real objective benefit of giving probabilty to match thing! If anyone told you won't match or your chances are slim, you aren't gonna cancel these 90 applications, are you?

BUT to make you happy read the rest
Yout resume is strong for an IMG who needs visa/from a community program.

Those fellowships will help, still you already applied this year! Wait and see.....

Thank you dron3man for your honest response.
I totally understand that such posts do not help anyway and i will still continue to wait and hope. But at least i will also start working on my plan B relatively early as getting waiver/ non accredited fellowships take some time. I do not want to be left with nothing in the end.

And when we are frustrated, a little bit of assurance/encouragement might help.

Thanks again

Congrats preetster. If you don't mind, would you be kind to post ur credentials. Thanks!

Nothing crazy, IMG (US citizen) at a University prog, average boards, a few first author publications, poster presentations.
Hope we all start seeing some invites flowing in the next couple of weeks! I'm sure we'll all start hearing things soon :)

every time I have a new email I get a few PVCs, just to find out that there are primary care job openings in Wyoming :bang:

Reactions: 6 users
Nothing crazy, IMG (US citizen) at a University prog, average boards, a few first author publications, poster presentations.
Hope we all start seeing some invites flowing in the next couple of weeks! I'm sure we'll all start hearing things soon :)
Yes, I hope so too! all the best and congrats once again!! :)

On some occasions a message might be delivered to the inbox but not your email. This has been reported by others in past years. This happened to me once during residency. I usually check my inbox once in the afternoon and once at night.

I wish I had the patience to only check twice a day!

Received IV from Texas Tech Lubbock 2 days back. IMG requiring visa.

Uneventful day... updated list below (with TTech added)

Texas Tech Lubbock: 7/29

Received IV from Texas Tech Lubbock 2 days back. IMG requiring visa.
Congrats ! credentials please ?
I am IMG working as hospitalist for 2 years. Residency from community hospital, chief resident, scores in 240-250's, 2 pubs 2 submitted, green card,
applied to 100. No interviews yet !

PGY-3 currently, community based - university affiliated program. 2 articles published and 2 case reports. 4 poster presentations ( 2 in ASCO/ASH).
Need J-1 visa.

August 1st tomorrow. My gut feeling is that tomorrow will be quiet. No one wants to review apps on a Friday :poke:

Reactions: 1 users
USC invite today, updating the list

USC: 07/31

Any tips on accessing eras on an iPhone? Foxbrowser not syncing and uc browser just logs me out of eras. Thanks!

Apollo browser app is working on my iphone

USC: 07/31
Loma Linda: 7/31

Happy August everyone. By the sdn count 20 programs sent their first wave of interviews. So we have 120 more programs to hear from. By last years measures, the second week of August was huge and things tempered down a bit by the first week of September. I think the last interview sent out last year was around September 26th from OHSU. Hopefully this is a great month for us all. Enjoy your Friday!

Reactions: 7 users
Status
Not open for further replies.