Official 2014-2015 "Please help me rank these IM Programs" Megathread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Trying again, tell me what you think...

UCLA
MSSM
UTSW
UC Denver
Emory
U Miami

Members don't see this ad :)
Thought I'd throw this out there for some extra input, that I assure you will be taken with a gigantic SDN sized grain of salt. Torn between University of Kansas and Indiana University. Any thoughts?

Location, for both, is actually a plus for me. I'm more looking at quality of training/education.

Similar to above, any insight into ranking of Indiana U vs. Rush?

Care to elaborate, Gutonc?
Indiana had a few negatives for me when I visited. First off, I noticed residents didn't know eachother well. Also having to rotate between four hospitals with different EMRs was also a negative. However, education wise it seemed good and fellowship match was good (besides gi).

Indiana had a few negatives for me when I visited. First off, I noticed residents didn't know eachother well. Also having to rotate between four hospitals with different EMRs was also a negative. However, education wise it seemed good and fellowship match was good (besides gi).

Just an FYI, I'm not sure when you interviewed, but their GI match this year sent one to Mayo and the other stayed at Indiana. Just wanted to make sure you had all the information.

I would take into consideration the 53-55k salary at MSSM and the high cost of living in Manhattan.

Trying again, tell me what you think...

UCLA
MSSM
UTSW
UC Denver
Emory
U Miami

Members don't see this ad :)
I would take into consideration the 53-55k salary at MSSM and the high cost of living in Manhattan.

Thanks all for the input! So the stipend at MSSM per their brochure went to 60-66 for PGY1-3, and they have subsidized housing, so I figured I could swing it. I also don't have any debt, so I won't have to factor that in either. However, if there are any MSSM residents out there, I would love to hear more about housing and living on that budget.

I guess my real doubt is between UC Denver and Emory... I know UC Denver is a better program, but I am just not sure I will like Denver as a city. Im not a skier and my impression is that otherwise Atlanta has more to offer. Struggling here...

Just an FYI, I'm not sure when you interviewed, but their GI match this year sent one to Mayo and the other stayed at Indiana. Just wanted to make sure you had all the information.
Last year, Interesting they typically dont take their own, unless a spot opens up.

Thanks all for the input! So the stipend at MSSM per their brochure went to 60-66 for PGY1-3, and they have subsidized housing, so I figured I could swing it. I also don't have any debt, so I won't have to factor that in either. However, if there are any MSSM residents out there, I would love to hear more about housing and living on that budget.

I guess my real doubt is between UC Denver and Emory... I know UC Denver is a better program, but I am just not sure I will like Denver as a city. Im not a skier and my impression is that otherwise Atlanta has more to offer. Struggling here...

I would definitely choose Denver over Atlanta any day.

Can anyone comment on reputation of Baystate/Tufts?
How does it compare with lower-tier university programs like UBuffalo or Jacobi?

I am trying to decide UIC versus USC. Are they very similar in academic strength and reputation? As far as location, I like both LA and Chicago.
And would most people say Baylor>UIC and USC?

Throwaway account for this:

I am trying to hash out the middle of my list. Basically how to rank UConn. Right now I have:

Real Monte
UConn
Case
Thomas Jefferson

But think I'm a little crazy for putting UConn above Case and Jeff. I am originally from the area and would like to stay, but it seems like I would have much better options coming out of Monte/Case. I am definitely interested in fellowship (cards/pulm/renal) and hope to stay in the northeast.
I liked Uconn's PD, their elective time, and got along with the residents. I just didn't get the strongest vibe from their didactic and educational side.
Anyone else have a similar situation with UConn?
Thanks

I have two general areas of debate:

UIC vs Rush vs Loyola vs Temple.

And then whether to put UMass above or below that grouping (my PD and Dean seem to think UMass is a cut above those programs...but is it so far above that it would be worth living in Worcester?)

And then lower down the list:

Ohio State vs Utah vs University of Arizona

And then once again whether to put University of Iowa above or below this grouping (it seems like a better program...but much worse location). Although my PD seems to think Ohio State is worse than Utah, UofA, and Iowa.

Last edited:
Hi. If I'm interested in CC or heme-onc, how does the middle of my list look as far as program reputation and fellowship positioning? Is one of these significantly stronger than the others??
I liked the PD's at all, with Case probably the standout; friendly residents at all too.

Brown: main show in town/state, seems like fair amount of flexibility/electives, fun city but RIH older hospital in so-so part of town
Case: good people all around, Cleveland
Tufts: +/- reputation for malignancy? per another applicant
NYU: +/- Bellevue (zebras and horses; support staff?), strong CC exposure

I'm pretty solid on my #1 and 2, but having trouble choosing my 3 & 4. Planning on doing GI and I am having trouble interpreting fellowship match lists (I know we should be weary about using this as a criteria for ranking, but c'mon...)

Boston U: who can argue with living in Boston? 3+1 schedule is nice. However, it seems that not many residents stay for fellowship which was rather concerning to me? Seems like it's split with some going to higher reputation fellowships (B&W, Yale) and the others going to lower ranked places. Also, Boston is freaking expensive.
U Wisconsin: Madison has a progressive/liberal/foodie/outdoorsy vibe that fits me, though not sure if I want to live in a city that small. Also, no X+1 scheduling. Seems like most GI people stay there for fellowship (good that they have the security of knowing they have in, but don't seem to go to as many higher ranked places)

And then whether to put UMass above or below that grouping (my PD and Dean seem to think UMass is a cut above those programs...but is it so far above that it would be worth living in Worcester?)

And then once again whether to put University of Iowa above or below this grouping (it seems like a better program...but much worse location). Although my PD seems to think Ohio State is worse than Utah, UofA, and Iowa.
Sorry but your PD knows jack****.
UMass below all these. Iowa above.

Another one looking for some help/thoughts :). Can't believe ETA is around a week
Big question for me - Tufts vs Jefferson. Got a good feeling from both programs - residents/PD were content, friendly and seemed supportive. Both NE programs in large cities with tons of academic medical centers
Tufts - 3+1 scheduling, full EMR. Small class. Specialty led teams. Matchlist not really disclosed - but looks fine. Area pretty much oversaturated with hospitals.
Jeff - Middle size program. Much, much more affordable city (I do like both). Solid match. Paper charts. VA time (positive and negative I guess)

Plan is for fellowship - undecided but looking to keep options open.

Thanks and good luck to all!

Hi all, I think I have the top of my list 1-4 figured out; I'd like some help with the middle/bottom of my list; I have an East-coast bias...

Please help me rank these programs as someone who is strongly interested in GI vs. Critical Care.

4-7. Brown = Jefferson = Wake Forest = Georgetown (this is tough!!)
Brown
: Pros: friendly program, decent match list, residents seemed happy, EMR (Epic), Cons: Super cold in the NE, RI seems not very diverse (?)
Jefferson: Pros: Philly, stellar GI match list, decent research, short commute time, Cons: $$ expensive, **paper charts/hand-written notes***
Wake Forest: Pros: Low cost of living, fast commute, ..okay..match list, residents seemed happy, EMR (Epic), Closer to family (not a deal breaker though), Cons: Seems to have more of a regional than a national reputation, small town - not good for a single guy (?)
Georgetown: Pros: DC is nice, good in-house fellowhips (better for Cards vs. GI though...) Cons: DC is $$$$, multiple hospitals - increasing commute time, paper charts

8-11 U of Colorado> MUSC = UMD = Einstein
University of Colorado (Am I crazy for not ranking this higher?):
Pros: Very strong research (basic/clinical), very strong match; great national reputation, Cons: Very big program, Denver seems doesn't seem very diverse, isolated, dark and cold, **paper charts at at least 1 hospital**
MUSC: Pros: Charleston; Cons: not a very good match list in comparison to others on the list
University of Maryland: Pros: okay match list, Cons: Baltimore, residents seemed very tired
Albert Einstein: Pros: NYC/Manhattan is close (?), Cons: Bronx, very tough schedule, NY scut work, residents seemed very tired

Thanks!

Lol aren't Utah and Iowa on a whole other level compared to the Chicago programs and Temple?

Hi all, I think I have the top of my list 1-4 figured out; I'd like some help with the middle/bottom of my list; I have an East-coast bias...

Please help me rank these programs as someone who is strongly interested in GI vs. Critical Care.

Brown
: Pros: friendly program, decent match list, residents seemed happy, EMR (Epic), Cons: Super cold in the NE, RI seems not very diverse (?)
Jefferson: Pros: Philly, stellar GI match list, decent research, short commute time, Cons: $$ expensive, **paper charts/hand-written notes***
Wake Forest: Pros: Low cost of living, fast commute, ..okay..match list, residents seemed happy, EMR (Epic), Closer to family (not a deal breaker though), Cons: Seems to have more of a regional than a national reputation, small town - not good for a single guy (?)
Georgetown: Pros: DC is nice, good in-house fellowhips (better for Cards vs. GI though...) Cons: DC is $$$$, multiple hospitals - increasing commute time, paper charts

Pros: Very strong research (basic/clinical), very strong match; great national reputation, Cons: Very big program, Denver seems doesn't seem very diverse, isolated, dark and cold, **paper charts at at least 1 hospital**
MUSC: Pros: Charleston; Cons: not a very good match list in comparison to others on the list
University of Maryland: Pros: okay match list, Cons: Baltimore, residents seemed very tired
Albert Einstein: Pros: NYC/Manhattan is close (?), Cons: Bronx, very tough schedule, NY scut work, residents seemed very tired

Thanks!

You won't go down below your top 7 so really doesnt matter how you rank the last bunch. I'm no expert but it doesn't seem like there's much going for Monte in your opinion. The only pro for you is that it is 45minutes drive from Manhattan?

It's fine as it is. Einstein philly has a decently strong fellowship match.
I looked at their fellowship and it doesn't make any sense...it's crazy good isn't it? Better than a ton of mid tier university programs it seems like
The stronger fellowship match come from the chiefs, that can inflate their match a little bit.
I have a friend who rotated at Einstein, and he was amazed by the clinical acumen of some of the Einstein's residents.
Thanks guys for your reply.. Do you think that St. Lukes/Roosevelt is OK as my number 1 ?? or should I move Jacobi or Einstein Phili up into my list.. Which programs do you think should be my top 3 between this 3 programs??.. thanks in advance..

Lol aren't Utah and Iowa on a whole other level compared to the Chicago programs and Temple?

My PD thinks Iowa, Utah, and Arizona are all stronger programs than the 3 Chicago programs and Temple, but he thinks within this general grouping there isnt a huge difference, so my ranking is based on city. And frankly when I look at the match lists all 3 are pretty similar to me. Same percentage cards/gi, hardly any residents ever go to top 20 programs, but they dont go to community programs either.

Sorry but your PD knows jack****.
UMass below all these. Iowa above.

I'll let him know that random internet poster #2926 disagrees with him. I mean, my PD probably doesnt have nearly your sdn forum trolling experience to help him with these rankings...

You're asking a lot of different questions here and it's not really clear what YOU think about all this. UMass is a shade "better" than the Chicago programs and Temple. Worcester's not the end of the world but it's not exactly an awesome place to live either. Now, why you would pass up programs like Iowa, Utah and tOSU just so you could live in Chicago or Philly is beyond me, but whatever, it's not my list.

And UAz should be in the same tier with UMass and the big city programs, not Utah, Iowa and tOSU.

You're asking a lot of different questions here and it's not really clear what YOU think about all this. UMass is a shade "better" than the Chicago programs and Temple. Worcester's not the end of the world but it's not exactly an awesome place to live either. Now, why you would pass up programs like Iowa, Utah and tOSU just so you could live in Chicago or Philly is beyond me, but whatever, it's not my list.

And UAz should be in the same tier with UMass and the big city programs, not Utah, Iowa and tOSU.

Thanks for the reply!! I am ranking on only 2 criteria: fellowship chances and location. I think other considerations are either unimportant for me (salary, perks, schedule details), sample size issues ("feel", friendliness of residents), difficult to determine significance (4+1 or not, team structure), or not available info (breaking duty hrs, malignancy).

My PD (and dean of students) actually considers umass better than all those, followed by iowa/arizona/utah, and then the rest (including osu to my surprise) below and grouped together.

Looking at the match lists, umass is the only program of those that occasionally has residents go to top 20 programs for competitive specialties which supports his view. I would rank utah/arizona above the chicago/philly programs...but i just really dont see a meaningful difference in the match lists. Maybe i will look again. I think maybe i should loom at how many residents go to lower tier fellowships vs how many go to upper tier fellowships. That could be the difference that Im missing.

And yes, being in a big city is important to me but I know it isnt for everyone haha.

Thanks again for the thoughtful reply!

My PD (and dean of students) actually considers umass better than all those, followed by iowa/arizona/utah, and then the rest (including osu to my surprise) below and grouped together.
Looking at the match lists, umass is the only program of those that occasionally has residents go to top 20 programs for competitive specialties which supports his view

:wtf:

Thanks for the reply!! I am ranking on only 2 criteria: fellowship chances and location. I think other considerations are either unimportant for me (salary, perks, schedule details), sample size issues ("feel", friendliness of residents), difficult to determine significance (4+1 or not, team structure), or not available info (breaking duty hrs, malignancy).

Looking at the match lists, umass is the only program of those that occasionally has residents go to top 20 programs for competitive specialties which supports his view. I would rank utah/arizona above the chicago/philly programs...but i just really dont see a meaningful difference in the match lists. Maybe i will look again. I think maybe i should loom at how many residents go to lower tier fellowships vs how many go to upper tier fellowships. That could be the difference that Im missing.

And yes, being in a big city is important to me but I know it isnt for everyone haha.

Thanks again for the thoughtful reply!

Just so you know, Iowa sent someone to UCSF for pulm CC and Wash U for Cards this year alone. Yes, a lot of people match at Iowa, but my sense is a large majority of those (like 95% this year) want to stay at Iowa because the fellowships are legit. Top 20 programs happen for the people that really want to leave.

Good luck with whatever you choose! I'm sure you will be happy wherever you end up :)

What seems off? I do wonder since the im program at my med school is really really competitive whether the people i ask just have no exposure to any programs that aren't as competitive.

Thanks for the info hawksfan!!!! Yeah, my impression of Iowa is very high...but living in a college town in the midwest is a little daunting for me!

Brown

Thanks!

Georgetown at the bottom of that fist grouping. Otherwise not a huge difference in that first group.

Sounds like you want to put Colorado first in the second group. After that Maryland is strongest followed by musc and then Einstein

Thanks for the reply!! I am ranking on only 2 criteria: fellowship chances and location.
So you're basically ranking on location then. Which is fine. Just be honest about it.

Because, for any given applicant, within a certain range of programs (yours fits in that range), the program itself has very little to do with fellowship options. I harp on this every year and get ignored, but I'll do it again. When you look at a program's fellowship match list, all you see is the end product. You don't see where people applied and interviewed and could have potentially matched, only where they did match.

As an example, I matched fellowship at my home program. It's a fine place and I got good training, but it's certainly not a "Top X" program in my specialty. At the same time, I interviewed at UCSF, MSKCC, Northwestern, UW/Fred Hutchinson, etc, all "Top X" programs. But I ranked them lower for personal reasons, which I was up front with myself about at the time.

So, as long as you're honest with yourself about why you're ranking these places where you are (which is location alone), then fine. Own it. Be an adult and make your own decisions based on your wants and needs.

Reactions: 1 user
So you're basically ranking on location then. Which is fine. Just be honest about it.

Because, for any given applicant, within a certain range of programs (yours fits in that range), the program itself has very little to do with fellowship options. I harp on this every year and get ignored, but I'll do it again. When you look at a program's fellowship match list, all you see is the end product. You don't see where people applied and interviewed and could have potentially matched, only where they did match.

As an example, I matched fellowship at my home program. It's a fine place and I got good training, but it's certainly not a "Top X" program in my specialty. At the same time, I interviewed at UCSF, MSKCC, Northwestern, UW/Fred Hutchinson, etc, all "Top X" programs. But I ranked them lower for personal reasons, which I was up front with myself about at the time.

So, as long as you're honest with yourself about why you're ranking these places where you are (which is location alone), then fine. Own it. Be an adult and make your own decisions based on your wants and needs.

I actually strongly disagree with this and I see this error in reasoning all the time. INDIVIDUALS might choose to go to a lesser name place for personal reasons. However, if all else is equal, these individuals should randomly distribute to programs, so when looking at the match list as a whole, the difference in match quality is reflective of the reputation of the program/research opportunities. Its hard for me to imagine that out of 4 years of match lists, none of those 120 individuals had any interest in going into a top ranked program in a competitive specialty. Why would that be...when like half of the residents at top 5 programs seem to want this?

If the reputation and research opportunities at for instance Utah are way better than Temple, then the fellowship match list should refleft this, unless there is another driving force that exists at utah but not temple pushing residents away from wanting competitive fellowships...which is hard for me to imagine.

People say stuff like this because they dont like stereotypes. They feel bad if someone chooses to go to a lesser known program amd everyone judges him and thinks he couldnt cut it. And I agree with that for an individual you shouldnt do that because you dont know. But for a program as a whole? For a program you do know...

Last edited:
I actually strongly disagree with this and I see this error in reasoning all the time. INDIVIDUALS might choose to go to a lesser name place for personal reasons. However, if all else is equal,
All else is never equal. And, at the fellowship level, (much more so than the residency level) "personal reasons" are a major factor.

Look, you can sit here and argue with somebody who has experience as an applicant for residency and fellowship and who sits on a fellowship admissions committee, or you can do what you want. The latter is probably the better choice overall. But the former will get you more "internet points". Your call.

Hey everyone, I would appreciate any feedback you're able to provide with helping me rank my 3rd-6th choices. I'm interested in pursuing Hospital Medicine or Cardiology after residency, and I do not have a geographic preference. My first and second choices are Duke and UTSW respectively. My options are:

UCSD
Wash U
BU
Colorado

Thanks for your help and best of luck!

Hey everyone, I would appreciate any feedback you're able to provide with helping me rank my 3rd-6th choices. I'm interested in pursuing Hospital Medicine or Cardiology after residency, and I do not have a geographic preference. My first and second choices are Duke and UTSW respectively. My options are:

UCSD
Wash U
BU
Colorado

Thanks for your help and best of luck!

From a reputation standpoint i think it would be:

washu
colorado/ucsd
bu

In terms of program details all I have for you is that i have heard that ucsd and bu residents work very hard...not directly from residents at these programs...so this is probably just hearsay.

IMG Here.

I only have 2 choices that I really think I have a shot at for Internal medicine categorial:

1) Pennsylvania Hospital
2) Lankenau Medical Center

I'm still hoping to do a fellowship in cards after.

Please help me as im really not sure which one to rank higher. I interviewed at both places and really liked them both.

Torn because Lankenau had in house cardiology fellowships but Pennsylvania hospital has access to great faculty for research.
I've also previously did an elective at UPENN and while it is the University Hospital, I found Pennsylvania Hospital to be very similar to what I had experienced previously.

What's the best way to go if the future plan is to match in a cards fellowship down the road?

Thanks!

Feb 25th is coming up y'all. Don't forget to certify your list (you can always go back, edit and recertify)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
IMG Here.

I only have 2 choices that I really think I have a shot at for Internal medicine categorial:

1) Pennsylvania Hospital
2) Lankenau Medical Center

I'm still hoping to do a fellowship in cards after.

Please help me as im really not sure which one to rank higher. I interviewed at both places and really liked them both.

Torn because Lankenau had in house cardiology fellowships but Pennsylvania hospital has access to great faculty for research.
I've also previously did an elective at UPENN and while it is the University Hospital, I found Pennsylvania Hospital to be very similar to what I had experienced previously.

What's the best way to go if the future plan is to match in a cards fellowship down the road?

Thanks!
I would say the one with in-house cards. Especially if they take their own

How come people delete their old posts with a period? If anyone responded and quoted them you can still see it, and it seems like it must not be too private if posted on the thread..

Sorry just noticed that on earlier pages and was curious. Not trying to derail this thread

IMG Here.

Thanks!
Pick the place that places people into cardiology better. Whether in-house or outside.

Hi, to give you my situation, I am engaged to someone who currently works as a teacher in the Chicago area. Hence, the list is somewhat Chicago/Midwest biased. Is this an egregious list? Please let me know if there are any glaring issues. This is just my gut.

1. Northwestern
2. Michigan
3. Vanderbilt
4. Wash U
5. UChicago
6. Stanford
7. BID
8. OHSU
9. Mayo
10. Wisconsin
11. UVA
12. Minnesota
13. UIC

Hi, to give you my situation, I am engaged to someone who currently works as a teacher in the Chicago area. Hence, the list is somewhat Chicago/Midwest biased. Is this an egregious list? Please let me know if there are any glaring issues. This is just my gut.

1. Northwestern
2. Michigan
3. Vanderbilt
4. Wash U
5. UChicago
6. Stanford
7. BID
8. OHSU
9. Mayo
10. Wisconsin
11. UVA
12. Minnesota
13. UIC
Not sure why you'd put Vandy so high if you want to be near Chicago. I'd switch it with UChicago given your needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.