Official 2015-2016: Oh no, I don't have a single Interview Invite thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This morning I wake up, check my phone, see two emails from Ohio State. The first one says "status change' and tells me to login. I'm thinking this could be my first interview. I frantically figure out their password scheme while half awake, heartbeat rising. I login, see that my application is complete, thinking "wtf what's new then". I go back and check the second email: "This morning an email was sent in error to all applicants in our system. We do apologize for the inconvenience." D'oh!! >.<

The "sent to all applicants" makes me nervous because I did not get that email.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My email went down for about 8 hours the other night and got an email after stating that all mail sent during that time would not be able to be recovered...
Even though it's been weeks of silence I'm certain that all my schools sent II's during that time and I'll never know...
Alcohol is my friend too.

That is a slightly morbid profile picture considering... ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like waiting for med school news involves 1/10 of the pain a woman feels when her husband goes to war. Never knowing if he'll come back alive or if he is safe. The outcome a mystery with no news.

If I feel so awful with this wait, I can only imagine the torture when the news is life and death. I have a newfound appreciation for these women.

I feel like waiting for med school news involves 1/10 of the pain a woman feels when her husband goes to war. Never knowing if he'll come back alive or if he is safe. The outcome a mystery with no news.

If I feel so awful with this wait, I can only imagine the torture when the news is life and death. I have a newfound appreciation for these women.
I'm sensing you could use this as a possible update letter, hmm :nod:

:bang::bang::bang:

Reactions: 1 users
Dear (any) med school I pretended to have a specific interest in,

I check the (internet) mailbox all day, even when I know the letters are done for the day. I'm terrified that any news will reveal you reject me. Although most letters I get are for recruitment events which make no sense to me, given the high number already applying. I lie awake at night wondering why you won't answer me. All my hobbies seem dumb, constantly clouded by this feeling that one letter recommender was out to get me.

Please write,
Your beloved.

Reactions: 8 users
Tomorrow is Friday..another week goes by and nada.+pissed+

Reactions: 6 users

Eh?

Not only men deploy, brah.

Reactions: 2 users
Modern-day waiting is a sucky metaphor, brah. Med schools send no news in months. The metaphor is analogous to a time when only men served, where women waited months for news.

In modern times, when women serve as well, you don't wait months for news. You can hear quite frequently if someone is okay or if they died.

If modern times were analogous, I'd get an email every so often, or even a skype from the med school saying, "No worries, we're swamped there are no red flags with your app!"

Members don't see this ad :)
Not really if he was referring to front line combat positions such as infantry, no need to get PC.
Hm, true. The numbers of women are increasing in those areas (as well as a whole) and that post comes off as very patriarchal (esp. if looking in the modern sense versus past). I could see it being flame bait & offending us Millennials :D

This is why I hate the cult of feminism and PCness. You completely ignored my explanation. Modern day combat doesn't make the metaphor work at all.

ONLY men served when the metaphor makes sense. Modern day correspondence between spouses does not metaphorically match med school correspondence. Historical correspondence, when only men served, matches the metaphor of waiting months for news.

PCness always ignores logic. They see, "In WW2, women frequently waited months for correspondence to see if their husband died in battle."

They then want to change it to, "In WW2, a man or women waited months for correspondence to see if their wife or husband died in battle or survived."

They then nod their heads and pat themselves on the back.

Last edited:
My sincere advice to those without any MD school IIs. ( I also have no MD IIs)

Apply DO now unless you are hellbent on MD and want to go through this hell again that is the "Application Cycle."

The only problem with DO is that you will probably have to work much harder to get the same specialty as your MD counterpart because of the inane bias some residency program PDs have against DOs. But hey its better than re applying to MD programs where the competition is unreasonably brutal. If only we were in this point in our lives 10 years ago when your average MCAT at your typical state MD school was a 28, (And the test didn't get any easier lol) and you weren't competing with applicants who all seem to have "did peace corps for 100 years" and "beat Alvin York's military record"on their applications.

Competition is too strong.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
This is why I hate feminism. You completely ignored my explanation. Modern day combat doesn't make the metaphor work at all.

ONLY men served when the metaphor makes sense.
Don't throw the feminist hammer down; I didn't ignore your explanation. Your previous post did not construe what you are saying here. Regardless, the statement you made is something many people still believe, especially in red states. There's no reason to accuse ideologies when you said something to be viewed at face value.

This is why I hate the cult of feminism and PCness. You completely ignored my explanation. Modern day combat doesn't make the metaphor work at all.

ONLY men served when the metaphor makes sense. Modern day correspondence between spouses does not metaphorically match med school correspondence. Historical correspondence, when only men served, matches the metaphor of waiting months for news.

PCness always ignores logic. They see, "In WW2, women frequently waited months for correspondence to see if their husband died in battle."

They then want to change it to, "In WW2, a man or women waited months for correspondence to see if their wife or husband died in battle or survived."

They then nod their heads and pat themselves on the back.

Don't throw the feminist hammer down; I didn't ignore your explanation. Your previous post did not construe what you are saying here. Regardless, the statement you made is something many people still believe, especially in red states. There's no reason to accuse ideologies when you said something to be viewed at face value.

Stop, this isn't the place to be talking ideologies. Let's leave such things out of a medical school application forum.

Reactions: 3 users

Apply DO now unless you are hellbent on MD and want to go through this hell again that is the "Application Cycle."

The only problem with DO is that you will probably have to work much harder to get the same specialty as your MD counterpart because of the inane bias some residency program PDs have against DOs. But hey its better than re applying to MD programs where the competition is unreasonably brutal. If only we were in this point in our lives 10 years ago when your average MCAT at your typical state MD school was a 28, (And the test didn't get any easier lol) and you weren't competing with applicants who all seem to have "did peace corps for 100 years" and "beat Alvin York's military record"on their applications.

Amen, brother!

+2

I may have 0 MD II's, but I've already secured a DO acceptance and know that I will definitely be a doctor. For those with borderline stats or red flags, truly research osteopathic medicine and think about why you want to become a doctor.

Reactions: 5 users
I feel that as future physicians, hopefully, regardless of whether we are DO or MD we should foster greater camaraderie between the two communities. In the end, it's all about providing the best healthcare for our patients not the prestige or honor behind a title.

Reactions: 4 users
+2

I may have 0 MD II's, but I've already secured a DO acceptance and know that I will definitely be a doctor. For those with borderline stats or red flags, truly research osteopathic medicine and think about why you want to become a doctor.

Getting discriminated in residency match because you went DO is really the absolute worst for people with borderline MD stats because they still put in a lot of work but barely missed that unspoken , undefined academic cutoff, but as I said, its better than chasing the MD for years.

I would consider myself a borderline applicant. :) All other parts of my app are strong aside from my MCAT, but I'd be extremely luckily to get into an MD school. I want to be a doctor no matter what and know several successful DO's who got into competitive residencies that previously shirked DO's. Maybe the merger will change things for the better...

Yes we can only hope friend

Oh, I also applied DO about a month ago and no news (II or rejection). I keep seeing people from my home state with worse stats who were complete after me getting interviews and wondering why I'm being ignored? If there was something terrible I didn't notice, you'd think I'd at least get a rejection.

this is the only thread i have the email notification on haha

we did it guys! we made it into october without a single II

Reactions: 10 users
I had an interview in a dream last night.

It was me and two other guys seated around the desk. We were all wearing glasses and I never wore glasses a day in my life. The interviewer kept asking them questions like, "What do you do for fun?" "Why medicine?" And then when he got to me, he'd point to an anatomy diagram and ask me the name of this or that, and the function, and I had zero idea.

He later asked me how I planned to cure cancer and scribbled a passive-aggressive looking note when I said I thought a cure-all for cancer was near-impossible, discounting nanotechnology, and that the best option was genetic screening and personalized treatment.

He hated me! :(

I woke up, glad it was a dream, swiped refresh on my phone's email AND . . . still nothing.

Reactions: 7 users
Yes!! Finally happened!! First II...you only need one!! Keep the faith everyone!!!!

Reactions: 13 users
I had an interview in a dream last night.

It was me and two other guys seated around the desk. We were all wearing glasses and I never wore glasses a day in my life. The interviewer kept asking them questions like, "What do you do for fun?" "Why medicine?" And then when he got to me, he'd point to an anatomy diagram and ask me the name of this or that, and the function, and I had zero idea.

He later asked me how I planned to cure cancer and scribbled a passive-aggressive looking note when I said I thought a cure-all for cancer was near-impossible, discounting nanotechnology, and that the best option was genetic screening and personalized treatment.

He hated me! :(

I woke up, glad it was a dream, swiped refresh on my phone's email AND . . . still nothing.

I had a similar dream but instead I had a great interview and the doctor across from me congratulated me on making it into medical school. I was so happy but then I woke up and realized it was a dream. Reality became the nightmare. :eek:

Joining this thread.
0 II and 0 rejections
1 hold, 1 mayo LOR request and secondaries from a few Cali schools that screen.
The silence is killing me :(

Joining this thread.
0 II and 0 rejections
1 hold, 1 mayo LOR request and secondaries from a few Cali schools that screen.
The silence is killing me :(

OMG it's like we are the same person.

Same, I got secondaries from schools that screen, and although I got two rejections, they were from schools with a large regional preference. Everything else is silence, no interview nor a rejection.

Same, I got secondaries from schools that screen, and although I got two rejections, they were from schools with a large regional preference. Everything else is silence, no interview nor a rejection.

Death by silence.

Well, I read on school's website that if it has been a long time since you have been complete, it is because they look at you favorably, but not as favorably, and our waiting to see other competitive students first. If an interview opens up, then they might send it to you. The lack of rejection means they don't hate you.

But the fact that the only way I'm getting an interview is if an interview "just happens" to come up, inspires zero confidence and make me nervous I won't get one at any of these places if they all look at me the same way. It is one thing to get waitlisted post-interview, another to get waitlisted pre-interview . . .

Well, I read on school's website that if it has been a long time since you have been complete, it is because they look at you favorably, but not as favorably, and our waiting to see other competitive students first. If an interview opens up, then they might send it to you. The lack of rejection means they don't hate you.

But the fact that the only way I'm getting an interview is if an interview "just happens" to come up, inspires zero confidence and make me nervous I won't get one at any of these places if they all look at me the same way. It is one thing to get waitlisted post-interview, another to get waitlisted pre-interview . . .

Or it could be silent rejection.

At every single school? I thought only a few do that.

Is there a list of schools known for silent rejections?

Given your signature, I think you might be a bit biased. I'm also getting silences from DO schools and I am slightly above their average stats.

Given your signature, I think you might be a bit biased. I'm also getting silences from DO schools and I am slightly above their average stats.

True. True, although most of my rejections are actually pre-interview holds.

I'm just not that optimistic that I would think that schools that haven't told me anything in a while would actually favor me as you propose.

Also true, but I don't have a 40 on my MCAT, and experience with Peace Corps. I realize no one will be fighting to get me, I just hope they let me wiggle in. :angelic:

Also true, but I don't have a 40 on my MCAT, and experience with Peace Corps. I realize no one will be fighting to get me, I just hope they let me wiggle in. :angelic:

I've been complete at 1 DO school for 2 months, and at 3 for a little less than a month. I have a handful of MD schools between 1 and 2 months of silence. Not feeling jazzed. I'm now betting on the Oct 15 rumor going around (schools holding out until acceptances go out to minimize unnecessary interview invite cancelations).

They say not to wish time away, but I'll happily skip the next month...

Still waiting impatiently. Complete at most of my 22 schools for almost two months now. I feel like one II would lift such a burden off my shoulders and make me much more optimistic. Oh well, maybe tomorrow...

Man, I'm tired of worrying over applications. I'm going to just forget all about it and focus on studying for my courses instead. Sayonara SDN.