Official 2015-2016: Oh no, I don't have a single Interview Invite thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Getting seriously worried now.

Assuming some schools have already passed you up on a chance for an interview, is it more likely not to get an interview from other ones too?

32 MCAT, 3.8 cGPA, Indian, decent EC's, research (1 yr w/1 publication).

Getting highly anxious now. Some friends of mine have gotten 2 II's and I'm sitting here empty.

What worries me is that if other schools think I suck, would the schools that haven't started interviewing think I suck too?

please try not to worry so much. it is still VERY early in the cycle!
don't focus on your friends that have 2 II's already. many people don't have any invites yet. it's too early to freak out.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
^ I don't really think the point of this thread is to argue about who has it worse.....

No its not, but someone with a 32 and 3.8 probably shouldnt be worried about not having an II right now.

Edit: what this thread is designed for is the "support of applicants without interviews though" and I'm telling this person who has A 32 MCAT and a 3.8 gpa that they are actually fine.

Last edited:
Seriously I'm trying to recall how the hell I ended up here. I was on this website since my junior year of college, merely a lurker in the shadows. I felt no neuroses whatsoever, I was just your average happygolucky premed enjoying life. Then one day I made an account, and made about ten posts. Next thing you know, 5 months has passed and I'm stuck here. At this point, I couldn't even leave if I wanted to. Somebody please kick me off this island so I can have my life back

too real

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No interviews yet! I was complete at most schools around 7/21. I turned most of my secondaries around within a few days since I pre-wrote them. My rate limiting step in the process so far has been the pre-med committee at my school. They wanted proof that I received 4 secondaries before sending out my committee packet LOR lol...

I'm just going to leave this here...

DSM 5 criteria for Generalized Anxiety Disorder:

A. Excessive anxiety and worry (apprehensive expectation), occurring more days than not for at least 6 months, about a number of events or activities (such as work or school performance).
B. The individual finds it difficult to control the worry.
C. The anxiety and worry are associated with three (or more) of the following six symptoms (with at least some symptoms having been present for more days than not for the past 6 months):
Note: Only one item is required in children.
  1. Restlessness or feeling keyed up or on edge.
  2. Being easily fatigued.
  3. Difficulty concentrating or mind going blank.
  4. Irritability.
  5. Muscle tension.
  6. Sleep disturbance (difficulty falling or staying asleep, or restless, unsatisfying sleep).
D. The anxiety, worry, or physical symptoms cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.
E. The disturbance is not attributable to the physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, a medication) or another medical condition (e.g., hyperthyroidism).
F. The disturbance is not better explained by another mental disorder

I'm just going to leave this here...

DSM 5 criteria for Generalized Anxiety Disorder:

A. Excessive anxiety and worry (apprehensive expectation), occurring more days than not for at least 6 months, about a number of events or activities (such as work or school performance).
B. The individual finds it difficult to control the worry.
C. The anxiety and worry are associated with three (or more) of the following six symptoms (with at least some symptoms having been present for more days than not for the past 6 months):
Note: Only one item is required in children.
  1. Restlessness or feeling keyed up or on edge.
  2. Being easily fatigued.
  3. Difficulty concentrating or mind going blank.
  4. Irritability.
  5. Muscle tension.
  6. Sleep disturbance (difficulty falling or staying asleep, or restless, unsatisfying sleep).
D. The anxiety, worry, or physical symptoms cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.
E. The disturbance is not attributable to the physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, a medication) or another medical condition (e.g., hyperthyroidism).
F. The disturbance is not better explained by another mental disorder
I'm just gonna put this out there, but if the application process to medical school makes someone feel this way I think they should seriously reevaluate what their quality of life will be as a physician...

I'm just gonna put this out there, but if the application process to medical school makes someone feel this way I think they should seriously reevaluate what their quality of life will be as a physician...

Meh, lots of people say getting in is the hardest part. Many people have to completely change their career paths and their last 4-7 years of their educational life are essentially wasted since many pre-meds major in something that has no market value in the real world. Such as biology.... I should have not majored in biology... :bang:

No interviews yet! I was complete at most schools around 7/21. I turned most of my secondaries around within a few days since I pre-wrote them. My rate limiting step in the process so far has been the pre-med committee at my school. They wanted proof that I received 4 secondaries before sending out my committee packet LOR lol...

This is absurd!

Meh, lots of people say getting in is the hardest part. Many people have to completely change their career paths and their last 4-7 years of their educational life are essentially wasted since many pre-meds major in something that has no market value in the real world. Such as biology.... I should have not majored in biology... :bang:
They're wrong.

I think you're in the wrong thread bro

Yea, its not even a humblebrag... its literally like this: Hey guys I know you guys have no MD II's yet, but hey I have 5. Cool right?

Reactions: 3 users
This is absurd!
Dear Applicant,

Please submit unequivocal evidence that you have received no less that four (4) secondaries. Your options include:
a) Notary public
b) Affidavit signed by yourself, and the Dean of each issuing medical school
c) Crossing your heart and hoping to die
d) Swearing on your firstborn

Please remember that the application cycle is a stressful time for us all, especially us- your pre-medical committee. We balance our workload by not investing in lost causes.

Thank you and good luck,
The Committee

Reactions: 4 users
Dear Applicant,

Please submit unequivocal evidence that you have received no less that four (4) secondaries. Your options include:
a) Notary public

Please remember that the application cycle is a stressful time for us all, especially us- your pre-medical committee. We balance our workload by not investing in lost causes.

Thank you and good luck,
The Committee

lol

Members don't see this ad :)
It's going to be okay and I know it's tough knowing your friends have gotten interview invites from 7 different places while you're over here getting emails from Groupon. But just keep yourself busy.. only check your email 5 times a day instead of 10 and if you find yourself waking up numerous times during the night to refresh your email try this great herbal tea right before bed. <3

Reactions: 7 users
Thanks for the confidence again guys.

Since I'm a reapplicant the worry is just worse than last year I guess. It's just that I don't want schools to pass me up because of affirmative action and look at me like... "oh, an Asian with a 32?? Meh... we got a bunch of 35's we can call.."

At the end of the day it truly is about patience. I want to contribute to the medical field greatly and do whatever it takes to succeed. I just wish there were other ways than just writing on paper that I could show med schools how. Like a video submission would be awesome lol.

I appreciate you guys telling me to relax though. Honestly, you guys truly help.

...If my partner isn't home on time and not answering their phone, it's clearly because they got in a car accident!
Can you tell my boyfriend this? Pretty sure he's convinced I'm the only one in the world to ever think that

Not gonna lie, I got my first (and only) II in the last few days of July, but the neuroticism hasn't left me.
Why do the rest of schools hate me?!

Reactions: 2 users
Dear Applicant,

a) Notary public

Thank you and good luck,
The Committee
lost causes?! wow

Nobody does this.
I was under the impression that candidates are put into categories and based on the charts I reviewed, Asians and Caucasians tend to be more competitive for the MCAT and GPA range. I guess I'm overthinking, but all of the pre-meds at my university thought my MCAT was average for my race lol.

I was under the impression that candidates are put into categories and based on the charts I reviewed, Asians and Caucasians tend to be more competitive for the MCAT and GPA range. I guess I'm overthinking, but all of the pre-meds at my university thought my MCAT was average for my race lol.
Absolutely not.
The charts are made from pooled post hoc data.

LizzyM ~ 70, Canadian, 0 IIs, 6 rejections
30 mcat - I wish I waited a year and retook the mcat

Another week of silence and another empty-inbox Monday. Complete at most schools around 7/21. I keep telling myself that THIS will be the week. Hopefully that comes true sooner or later :)

Good luck everyone.

I'm with you guys. 2 Rej and 0 II's so far.

^^ The week just started! Maybe some schools will send you a II later on in the week. We just gotta keep believing!

I completed my secondaries around 8/11. So I won't hear anything until mid September at the earliest. Luckily I have Canadian applications to keep me head on straight :D... :arghh:

2 Rej and 3 IIs; its been silent for about a week at this point. I hope it doesn't imply silent rejections for some rolling admissions :(

2 Rej and 3 IIs; its been silent for about a week at this point. I hope it doesn't imply silent rejections for some rolling admissions :(
you read the title of this thread right....

you read the title of this thread right....

I was part of this at one point, my goal is to say go with the tide and drink a beer/tea/whatever to whoozaaa. Stuff will come, there's no reason for neurotic posts until after Nov 1.

Have faith in yourselves :) Chances are if you're on here, you're doing things 20x more right than the average applicant.

For all of us who haven't received any IIs, let's just start our own med school... with blackjack.

And hookers.

In fact, forget med school.

Everyone's reaction once they start receiving responses from schools:
7d9caa9406295f8986089c56c7c32e13.jpg

Well a 519 is the same percentile score as a 37 so I'd say your LM is ~74. I think the general consensus is that absolutely everyone is being neurotic right now and the real time to worry about not having interviews comes much later.
Your name seems familiar...

Which schools have sent rejections so far?
U Chicago, Indiana University, USC Keck, U Wisconsin...
I'm sure there are more, but of the schools I've applied to, these are the only that have begun rejections to my knowledge

Tulane and Georgetown. I believe George Washington as well, but not sure.

Just received my first II. It really puts your mind at ease a bit. Good luck to the rest of you!

Tulane and Georgetown. I believe George Washington as well, but not sure.
I think GW just does a "hold for re-review" thing. I'm pretty sure it means they're passing you up but not 100% sure...

So U Chicago and USC Keck are insanely difficult to get into. I wish schools could at least establish a timeline as to when they will send out II's, how many students they've screened, and how many II's have been sent out. That would be so much more convenient.

I think GW just does a "hold for re-review" thing. I'm pretty sure it means they're passing you up but not 100% sure...

So U Chicago and USC Keck are insanely difficult to get into. I wish schools could at least establish a timeline as to when they will send out II's, how many students they've screened, and how many II's have been sent out. That would be so much more convenient.
U Michigan ftw. Because they do exactly that :love:
...Although they haven't sent me one :(

U Michigan ftw. Because they do exactly that :love:
...Although they haven't sent me one :(

Holy crap 143/3925.... I have a feeling we're not the only ones worried about not getting II's.

I guess since my Master's program hasn't started I haven't met with a lot of people that are going through the same things I am so I feel like I'm the only one waiting.

Gonna guess my future for the rest of the month: Silence and more silence. I really wouldn't be surprised if this were the case, though, since it's still early. But so far: 0 IIs and 2 rejections (although one was from UWash and I'm OOS). And to everyone posting in here all like, "omg got 20 IIs," obviously we are happy for y'all, but doesn't it seem a little rude considering the title of this thread?! Lolwut.

3.93/514, 0 IIs and 2 rejections from UChicago and Mayo. One minute I'm like "whatever, it's early, I'm sure the invites are on their way!" and then the next minute I'm like "eff I'm never getting into medical school, time to come up with a backup plan".

Reactions: 4 users
Gonna guess my future for the rest of the month: Silence and more silence. I really wouldn't be surprised if this were the case, though, since it's still early. But so far: 0 IIs and 2 rejections (although one was from UWash and I'm OOS). And to everyone posting in here all like, "omg got 20 IIs," obviously we are happy for y'all, but doesn't it seem a little rude considering the title of this thread?! Lolwut.

that is life. we shall just wait

I don't really belong in this thread but just had to bump this up to remind people to please be considerate. We can have a separate celebration thread if you wish but don't come and talk about what II's you have because then it just sounds like you're trying to rub salt on the wound and sound like an a**hole. Just being honest.