Official 2015-2016: Oh no, I don't have a single Interview Invite thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Another week of silence... :whistle:

Members don't see this ad.

So quiet on any SDN thread here this Friday night, I guess people have lives after all!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is probably the worst part of the whole process :sick:

Reactions: 1 user
So quiet on any SDN thread here this Friday night, I guess people have lives after all!

I'm actually at work right now in a patient's room as my doc discusses plan for discharge lol

I am almost done with #14/21 secondaries, have a stress free weekend everyone! There will be no news till Monday, although from a personal experience, sometimes rejections come on Saturday?!

Rival school checking in here ;) basically the same story, but I found as I got into my upper division classes everyone started to become a lot more collaborative and actually helping. Same case for you? I remember the gunners were so strong during freshman/sophomore year in those huge lecture halls. Ugh.

So not exactly. Most of my upper division classmates just liked working alone and would never really collab with anything. The best thing we could do is quizzed in the same room, but nothing more. I would even send out notes to people about classes like Parasitology or Pathogens, but never got anything back.

Hoping med school is a lot different. I'm in a Master's program at USF now for medical sciences, so maybe this will be a little better!

F those gunners though. One actually tried to scare me into thinking that one of the biochem exams had an average of 55 on it. I was like... lol please go scare someone else. The class average ended up being 72 for that test anyways. I hate people like that, thinking that their tactics will get them to the top.

So let's put the facts out there guys...

1) Some ADCOMs are just getting started and may take a while to reply back.
2) Some ADCOMs are trying to get the highest MCAT/highest GPA combo students first (I confirmed this for a school because that med student was on the admissions committee last year and he told me that's EXACTLY what they do for the first 2-3 weeks)
3) Some schools are just low yield so applying there was a waste of time unless you did community service like you were in jail (lol jk) [Lookin at you Gtown]

So we can do 2 things rn.... Wait and be miserable (Which I did for the first 2 weeks of August) or live your life as best as you can rn (Which im doing rn)

Either way 1/2 things happen --> You get a II or you don't

If you define A as waiting/miserable and B as living life to the best, and define 1 as receipt of a II and 2 as no II, you are left with 4 outcomes..
A1, A2, B1, and B2.

If you are really dedicated to the medical field, A2 or B2 would mean you're going to reapply again. So, you can be happy and reapply or be miserable and reapply.

If you are A1 or B1, you're lucky enough to get a II. Either you can be happy and get a II and be miserable and get a II.

In all 4 outcomes, being miserable or feeling down doesn't really get you anywhere does it? Took me a while to think of these things. Perhaps they were in the back of my mind but I've been so flooded with depressing thoughts I couldn't really see things clearly.

To anyone who is tired of waiting..........don't wait. Do what you want and enjoy yourself. If it comes, it comes. If it doesn't, what are you just gonna quit? Probably not if you're on this website.

Reactions: 3 users
So let's put the facts out there guys...

1) Some ADCOMs are just getting started and may take a while to reply back.
2) Some ADCOMs are trying to get the highest MCAT/highest GPA combo students first (I confirmed this for a school because that med student was on the admissions committee last year and he told me that's EXACTLY what they do for the first 2-3 weeks)
3) Some schools are just low yield so applying there was a waste of time unless you did community service like you were in jail (lol jk) [Lookin at you Gtown]

So we can do 2 things rn.... Wait and be miserable (Which I did for the first 2 weeks of August) or live your life as best as you can rn (Which im doing rn)

Either way 1/2 things happen --> You get a II or you don't

If you define A as waiting/miserable and B as living life to the best, and define 1 as receipt of a II and 2 as no II, you are left with 4 outcomes..
A1, A2, B1, and B2.

If you are really dedicated to the medical field, A2 or B2 would mean you're going to reapply again. So, you can be happy and reapply or be miserable and reapply.

If you are A1 or B1, you're lucky enough to get a II. Either you can be happy and get a II and be miserable and get a II.

In all 4 outcomes, being miserable or feeling down doesn't really get you anywhere does it? Took me a while to think of these things. Perhaps they were in the back of my mind but I've been so flooded with depressing thoughts I couldn't really see things clearly.

To anyone who is tired of waiting..........don't wait. Do what you want and enjoy yourself. If it comes, it comes. If it doesn't, what are you just gonna quit? Probably not if you're on this website.
As a re-applicant who was always worried and checking SDN and all of my portals last year, here is my advice: FORGET ABOUT IT!!! It is only August! You will have a miserable next couple months (or longer if you have to reapply, are waitlisted, etc). Just live your life and don't let it bother you. It is one of those things that the more you keep checking and looking, the more it is going to look like you are not doing well! On the other hand, you can live your life and get an email one random day with an II, and you will feel successful because you wont have spent all of your time overanalyzing!

Learn to live YOUR life, not have your life be dictated by correspondence from medical schools. Think about it, this is just one step in the process, if not having an II now truly discourages you, what do you think losing a patient will do to you down the road. It is all a part of the process. The process (which continues throughout med school and residency) that hardens you to have faith and to focus on what actually has substance (ie. not checking on your app status all day).

Work your A*sses off in the meantime

Members don't see this ad :)
No II. No rejections. Slowly working to a state of zen acceptance

Reactions: 1 users
No II. No rejections. Slowly working to a state of zen acceptance

Embracing the yin of no II and the yang of no rejections. Oh sweet and infinite purgatory..

Wondering when the first wave of rejections starts...:rolleyes: October, may be....?

Wondering when the first wave of rejections starts...:rolleyes: October, may be....?

lots of schools (tulane, gtown, mayo, etc) have been sending out lots of rejections for weeks now. There isnt really a "rejection wave"

Have one interview at the MD school where I did a post-bacc. It was a guaranteed interview. Still excited. One DO school interview invite came last week. Radio silence is maddening. Beginning to hear transmissions that aren't there. Debating on wearing a velvet suit to interview on Monday.

I'm going to make the "Oh no, I got three early interviews this cycle and struck out at each one!" thread. 2 rejections and 1 WL in case you were wondering.

Have one interview at the MD school where I did a post-bacc. It was a guaranteed interview. Still excited. One DO school interview invite came last week. Radio silence is maddening. Beginning to hear transmissions that aren't there. Debating on wearing a velvet suit to interview on Monday.
151013-danrad.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
lots of schools (tulane, gtown, mayo, etc) have been sending out lots of rejections for weeks now. There isnt really a "rejection wave"
Rejection wave today at LUCOM, including 10+ people on this forum, that's what I meant by "wave"...

I didn't mean to sound so preachy in my previous post, I apologize. But do try to go about your day to day without thinking about the IIs

Another week of silence on all fronts, another week of med school trolling. This time duke thought it'd be nice to send me a newsletter about their Singapore program.

Reactions: 6 users
1) Its not even Labor Day yet, I dont consider the term in full swing yet
2) medical schools are still getting the thousands of primaries and secondaries in order for reading, review, etc.
3) Having a file complete (primary, secondary, MCAT, LOR/LOE) by end of August is early; by end of September is normal
4) Adcoms do not necessarily review/invite in a linear manner: Outstanding Candidates, Alumni, Linked Programs, Feeder Campuses, URM, etc may be looked at and interviewed first.

Good to know ... thanks!

Another week of silence on all fronts, another week of med school trolling. This time duke thought it'd be nice to send me a newsletter about their Singapore program.

But you need to know about the Singapore program though!

I'm not worried that I don't have any interviews yet.

That being said, last night I had a dream that Tufts sent me an e-mail saying that my application was so strong that I don't have to interview, I'm just accepted. That was pretty *****y to wake up from.

Reactions: 6 users

That being said, last night I had a dream that Tufts sent me an e-mail saying that my application was so strong that I don't have to interview, I'm just accepted. That was pretty *****y to wake up from.

Those kind of dreams are the worst. You feel so bad the first 5 mins you are awake.

I had a dream once I was accepted to Northwestern, although I have not even applied to this school... Weirdo_O

I just feel disheartened right now. I completely understand that it's too early to really get worried. However, my peers are getting interviews (one guy I know already has 6), and I'm a decent applicant - I wonder "what's wrong?" Is the worrying helping me? No, it's making me feel horrible, I'm trying to find ways to distract myself, but my mind keeps circling back. I haven't had any rejections, but this space of not knowing hurts.

Out of curiosity, what do Hold statuses mean at this point in time? It seems like hold statuses later on in the cycle = silent rejection but what about at this point?

I just feel disheartened right now. I completely understand that it's too early to really get worried. However, my peers are getting interviews (one guy I know already has 6), and I'm a decent applicant - I wonder "what's wrong?" Is the worrying helping me? No, it's making me feel horrible, I'm trying to find ways to distract myself, but my mind keeps circling back. I haven't had any rejections, but this space of not knowing hurts.

You need to get used to it, as waiting and uncertainty is a fact of life that you and everyone else will deal with throughout the entirety of our lives and in many different ways. This goes for everyone, but you need to just be happy in the moment you are in and with the life you have. Sorry this is getting philosophical, but life, believe it or not, is more than the medical profession, and if for some reason you don't get in, are you going to live the rest of your life unhappy?

Stop comparing yourself to others. There are thousand of applicants and the process is as much a numbers and chance game as it is one based on merit. Take solace in this fact, and you can dissolve your anxiety. Be happy, focus on friends and family, love, experiences, be passionate about something else, go outside and become absorbed in nature, and things will work out. You'll see :)

Reactions: 2 users
Out of curiosity, what do Hold statuses mean at this point in time? It seems like hold statuses later on in the cycle = silent rejection but what about at this point?
I am wondering about the same thing, my file is on-hold at like 5 schools

and if for some reason you don't get in, are you going to live the rest of your life unhappy?

From my experience, every conversation I have with old people who ask what I do:

"I'm a pre-med student." -me
"Oh really? I was pre-med once." -old person
"What happened with that?" -me
"Well.... it just didn't work out." -old person
*old person stares off into the distance*
*me, backing away slowly*

I don't wanna become someone who stares off into the distance.

From my experience, every conversation I have with old people who ask what I do:

"I'm a pre-med student." -me
"Oh really? I was pre-med once." -old person
"What happened with that?" -me
"Well.... it just didn't work out." -old person
*old person stares off into the distance*
*me, backing away slowly*

I don't wanna become someone who stares off into the distance.

People who's happiness is only contingent on becoming a doctor will have a hard time living a fulfilled life, even when they achieve their career goals.

You need to get used to it, as waiting and uncertainty is a fact of life that you and everyone else will deal with throughout the entirety of our lives and in many different ways. This goes for everyone, but you need to just be happy in the moment you are in and with the life you have. Sorry this is getting philosophical, but life, believe it or not, is more than the medical profession, and if for some reason you don't get in, are you going to live the rest of your life unhappy?

Stop comparing yourself to others. There are thousand of applicants and the process is as much a numbers and chance game as it is one based on merit. Take solace in this fact, and you can dissolve your anxiety. Be happy, focus on friends and family, love, experiences, be passionate about something else, go outside and become absorbed in nature, and things will work out. You'll see :)

You're completely right. It's not a constant sadness, but I do think about what's going on, an am a little worried. I'm trying to be positive and I am more than willing to apply as many times as it takes to get accepted. I'm going to take it one day at a time.

Reactions: 4 users
You're completely right. It's not a constant sadness, but I do think about what's going on, an am a little worried. I'm trying to be positive and I am more than willing to apply as many times as it takes to get accepted. I'm going to take it one day at a time.
If it helps, i'm in the same boat as you. I was complete at most schools between July 21st and 27th and haven't heard anything from any of them. I have above average stats and above average ECs and letters. And still nothing. It is definitely making me a bit crazy to see all of these other applicants get IIs, sometimes within a week of submitting their secondaries. I'm doing my best to keep perspective and trust what everyone is saying, that the bulk of the IIs are yet to come. (although Tulane being full through January is quite distressing).

Good luck, i hope you hear good news soon! And until we do hear good news, at least we aren't getting rejections.