Official 2016-2017 Help Me Rank Megathread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
quote-the-time-has-come-the-walrus-said-to-talk-of-many-things-of-shoes-and-ships-and-sealing-wax-of-lewis-carroll-339923.jpg

But you guys probably want to ask how you should rank programs. So go ahead and do that I guess.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Edit. Deleted to post with full rank list later this month.

Last edited by a moderator:
If nobody else will, I'll get this started!

Need some help hashing out my top 5. Obviously strong midwest bias, interested in gi. In particular I am wondering if I am shooting myself in the foot by not having Wisconsin higher.

1. Mayo
2. Utah
3. U Wisconsin
4. Minnesota
5. Iowa

Members don't see this ad :)
Please help with any suggestions/advice. Have completed all interviews. Looking for best IM training with best people that will set me up for fellowship later. Location slight preference to Dallas, but otherwise no preference. I'm not that great of an applicant but was fortunate to receive invitations to programs that are indeed wonderful. List below is based on my opinion. Thanks.

1. Baylor Dallas
2. Dartmouth
3. Utah
4. UF Gainesville
5. Iowa
6. Einstein Montefiore
7. Indiana
8. Miami Jackson
9. Cincinnati
10. UIC
11. UT Houston
12. Loyola
13. Henry Ford
14. UT San Antonio

Hey guys I am currently appying to internal medicine residency in hopes of going into cardiology. I am not set on going into academia but would like a solid fellowship site. Long story short, I know that university based programs and community programs with strong track record of placing into competitive fellowships are best. Problem is most of my programs seem very similar on paper. Please let me know what you think about potential rank order list for these programs!

I know that of these programs Monte has the best reputation but some of the other places actually do better in cards placement in terms of locations and numbers(Cedars for example).

Rutgers NJMS: This program had a good work-life balance with solid research opportunities. I recognize that reputation wise it is not the best on the list but seems like a well-rounded program with university, private, and VA exposure. Former PD is still active in GME and has done some great things with the program.
Cedars-Sinai: Community program but much more similar to tertiary care site. They do extremely well in Cards and GI.
Montefiore: This program has the best reputation on the list. Seems like statistically they don't do as well in Cards for the number of residents but doors will definitely be open if the work is put in. Probably will work the hardest here.
University of Arizona Tucson: Solid university program, main campus. A lot of residents tend to stay for fellowship which is a little concerning. I would like to have options of going elsewhere.
Einstein Philly: In a bad part of philly but they do amazing in fellowship and publications. Also among the highest board pass rates for a program of its size along with only a few others including UCSF, Stanford, UCLA, etc. PD has been around for 16 years.
St. Lukes-Roosevelt: Decent fellowship placement but had a weird vibe on interview day. Mixed quality of residents from what I have heard.
Lenox Hill: This program had an amazing vibe on interview day, everyone was happy. I know it is not the best choice on the list for career but some of them go onto fellowship, a lot stay.
Cooper: Right near philly, new medical school, beautiful hospital. Take a lot of their own for fellowship but that is about it.
University of Arizona Phoenix: not the main campus. People stay for fellowship, very few go elsewhere.
Winthrop: Strong community program with fellowships in house and people going elsewhere.
SUNY Downstate: Literally have never heard a good thing about this program
Beth Israel NYC: Hospital will be downsizing to another site by 2020. They said residents would potentially be placed at another mount sinai site if any problems arose. It is definitely worrisome, don't know if I should rank at all.

I don't want to go anywhere malignant just so I can get a fellowship. I have enough research and will continue anywhere I go just need some feedback about these places. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey guys I am currently appying to internal medicine residency in hopes of going into cardiology. Long story short, I know that university based programs and community programs with strong track record of placing into competitive fellowships are best. Problem is most of my programs seem very similar on paper. Please let me know what you think about potential rank order list for these programs!

Rutgers NJMS (decent placement)
Cedars-Sinai (place into great institutions)
U of Arizona Tucson (Inhouse placement)
Montefiore (great rep, horrible hours)
St. Lukes-Roosevelt (decent placement)
Einstein Philly (place into great institutions)
Cooper (inhouse placement)
U of Arizona Phoenix (inhouse placement)
Lenox Hill (not great placement)
Beth Israel NYC (downsizing/closing 2020)
Winthrop (strong comm program)
SUNY Downstate (malignant)

I don't want to go anywhere malignant just so I can get a fellowship. I have enough research and will continue anywhere I go just need some feedback about these places. Thanks!

Monte the best program by a pretty fair margin on that list. You need to be happy wherever you go though so fit is really important. If you don't think you'd be happy at monte then I'd consider ranking it lower. As far as the cardiology placement goes, which programs have the best track record for cardiology matches? I'm a monte resident and the last couple years have had fairly solid matches, although nothing spectacular. Many of the programs on your list are community programs and they will not set you up well for an academic cardiology fellowship.

As for monte, here are the last 3 yrs cards matches--- only 1 cardiology match at a community program and no one unmatched

Monte x2
Yale
Drexel

Monte x3
NYU
Nslij x2
UC-irvine
Methodist NY

CCF
Monte
Umdnj
Umass

As for the other programs, I would 100% remove BI. You're asking for trouble by ending up there given all that's going on. The only other obviously good program on your list is cedars-Sinai. Definitely some solid community programs though in SLR, Einstein Philly. SUNY downstate is an academic program but should be low on your list. NJMS has a good reputation and probably has a decent fellowship match

Monte the best program by a pretty fair margin on that list. You need to be happy wherever you go though so fit is really important. If you don't think you'd be happy at monte then I'd consider ranking it lower. As far as the cardiology placement goes, which programs have the best track record for cardiology matches? I'm a monte resident and the last couple years have had fairly solid matches, although nothing spectacular. Many of the programs on your list are community programs and they will not set you up well for an academic cardiology fellowship.

As for monte, here are the last 3 yrs cards matches--- only 1 cardiology match at a community program and no one unmatched

Monte x2
Yale
Drexel

Monte x3
NYU
Nslij x2
UC-irvine
Methodist NY

CCF
Monte
Umdnj
Umass

As for the other programs, I would 100% remove BI. You're asking for trouble by ending up there given all that's going on. The only other obviously good program on your list is cedars-Sinai. Definitely some solid community programs though in SLR, Einstein Philly. SUNY downstate is an academic program but should be low on your list. NJMS has a good reputation and probably has a decent fellowship match
Thank you for your reply. Could you tell me a little bit about your experience at monte?

Thank you for your reply. Could you tell me a little bit about your experience at monte?

You can PM me if you have more specific questions;

My experience has been great. Intern year is tough with a lot of nights (~3 months, which is actually down from about 4 months when I was an intern!). The 6+2 block system is also new since my intern year and that is majorly beneficial to the schedule having a break (as opposed to being on wards for 2-3-4 months straight which could happen before the block schedule). The clinical training and teaching from faculty is excellent and you get a ton of autonomy and responsibility to build your confidence. 2nd and 3rd year are massively easier than intern year, with 3rd year being very nice, with no units and only 10-12 wks of wards. The camaraderie between residents and residents and faculty is great. There is a very cooperative feel with most residents always willing to help eachother out (whether its a schedule swap, an admission on a busy night or even discussing a complicated case). The "academic" feel of the program has been improving and over the course of my time here has been steadily on the rise. Research opportunities are plentiful but require a very motivated resident, nobody will drop a project on your lap. Things will only continue to improve with Montefiore buying out AECOM from Yeshiva University.

The fellowship placement is fairly representative of most mid tier academic programs, with the only caveat being that almost all residents want to stay in NY after residency so they often will settle for a less prestigious fellowship to be to remain in NY (which could be similarly said about people staying in NYC for residency). Nearly all matches are at academic programs, many are in the 5 boroughs (this year 3 people to cornell (h/o x2, pulmcc), 1 to MSKCC (h/o), 1 at NYU (rheum), 1 at NSLIJ (GI), 5 at Monte (allergy, rhuem, cards x 2, onc), 1 at downstate(GI)).

Without a doubt its a rigorous training program and you have to be honest with yourself if you see yourself happy here. Its definitely not for everyone and I've seen tons of people struggle here. I'd recommend a second look if your deciding about either ranking it very highly or lower down on your list.

Reactions: 1 user
Please help with any suggestions/advice. Have completed all interviews. Looking for best IM training with best people that will set me up for fellowship later. Location slight preference to Dallas, but otherwise no preference. I'm not that great of an applicant but was fortunate to receive invitations to programs that are indeed wonderful. List below is based on my opinion. Thanks.

1. Baylor Dallas
2. Dartmouth
3. Utah
4. UF Gainesville
5. Iowa
6. Einstein Montefiore
7. Indiana
8. Miami Jackson
9. Cincinnati
10. UIC
11. UT Houston
12. Loyola
13. Henry Ford
14. UT San Antonio

My reservations with your #1 is that you would be in a residency program that operates somewhat different than the traditional academic program and in a way takes away from your full training potential I feel like. PM me if you want to further discuss the program specifically. There are other programs on your list including the ones in Texas that I would rank higher than BUMC

Trying to rank:

University of Nebraska
University of Oklahoma
University of Mississippi
University of Missouri (Mizzou)
Rush

Trying to rank:

University of Nebraska
University of Oklahoma
University of Mississippi
University of Missouri (Mizzou)
Rush

I'd try to rank them on your own first based on what's important to you, and then crowdsource opinions. But here's a fellow applicant's take:

Rush > Nebraska = Missy > Oklahoma > Mizzou

I'd try to rank them on your own first based on what's important to you, and then crowdsource opinions. But here's a fellow applicant's take:

Rush > Nebraska = Missy > Oklahoma > Mizzou

Thanks. I had it like:

1. OK
2. Nebraska
3. Miss
4. Mizzou
5. Rush

The reason for Rush being #5 is I would hate living in the heart of downtown Chicago.

Thanks. I had it like:

1. OK
2. Nebraska
3. Miss
4. Mizzou
5. Rush

The reason for Rush being #5 is I would hate living in the heart of downtown Chicago.
Do you understand why we ask you to rank them your way before you ask us? Everybody else is going to rank based on "prestige" or something similar. But here you come and tell us that the "strongest" program on your list is a place you wouldn't live if you could avoid it.

Your list is fine. I'd personally put Nebraska on top (assuming you hate Chicago...why did you apply then?). But whatever.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you understand why we ask you to rank them your way before you ask us? Everybody else is going to rank based on "prestige" or something similar. But here you come and tell us that the "strongest" program on your list is a place you wouldn't live if you could avoid it.

Your list is fine. I'd personally put Nebraska on top (assuming you hate Chicago...why did you apply then?). But whatever.
Yes, sir, I understand and thank you.

I was really trying to get a feel for what ya'll thought was the strongest program.

Do you think Rush is significantly stronger than those other programs? I could suffer living in the city is the program is far and away better than the others.

Hi everyone,

Was hoping you could help me rank the following programs. This is my tentative list:

1. Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA
2. Mount Auburn Hospital, Cambridge, MA
3. Baystate Medical Center, Springfield, MA (Posts on this website have me a little worried about this program)
4. Medstar Washington Hospital Center, D.C
5. St Vincent Hospital, Worcester, MA
6. MacNeal Hospital, Berwyn, IL
7. Trinitas Regional Medical Center, Elizabeth, NJ
8. UPMC McKeepsport, PA
9. Conemaugh Memorial Medical Center, Johnstown, PA (Considering not ranking this program)

I realize that this isn't the greatest 'portfolio' so to speak, but I'd appreciate input if anyone had any input, especially with my 2nd, 3rd and 4th choice.

Thank you!

Hi everyone,

Was hoping you could help me rank the following programs. This is my tentative list:

1. Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA
2. Mount Auburn Hospital, Cambridge, MA
3. Baystate Medical Center, Springfield, MA (Posts on this website have me a little worried about this program)
4. Medstar Washington Hospital Center, D.C
5. St Vincent Hospital, Worcester, MA
6. MacNeal Hospital, Berwyn, IL
7. Trinitas Regional Medical Center, Elizabeth, NJ
8. UPMC McKeepsport, PA
9. Conemaugh Memorial Medical Center, Johnstown, PA (Considering not ranking this program)

I realize that this isn't the greatest 'portfolio' so to speak, but I'd appreciate input if anyone had any input, especially with my 2nd, 3rd and 4th choice.

Thank you!
AGH is a solid program, lots of opportunities there, but their MD program has tons of IMG's. They have a parallel DO IM program there so you'll get to work with them too.

I've got a lot of interviews this season, but there are 5 IM programs that really have garnered my interest and I'd appreciate your opinions:

Lenox Hill
Winthrop University Hospital
Cooper University Hospital (of CMSRU)
University of Connecticut
University at Buffalo

AGH is a solid program, lots of opportunities there, but their MD program has tons of IMG's. They have a parallel DO IM program there so you'll get to work with them too.

Hey, thanks for getting back to me. So, would you rank it further down? Or is it still the best of the lot?

non us img...no visa needed...interested in GI...my top places are...
UPMC (main campus) , iowa , mayo rochester , rutgers njms , UH/Case wester , cleveland clinic , metrohealth case western ,uconn, Einstein philly ,suny upstate syracuse , tufts ,utmb galveston, saint luke roosevelt..

upmc is top choice...unsure about the rest...

priorities: solid clinical training..fellowship...good social life as i am a single..

UTSW, UVA, UAB, Vandy, IU, Wake Forest, UNC, Colorado, Wash U, UF, USF, MUSC

Priorities: Strong clinical training, strong fellowship match

I think all those programs satisfy your priorities. Can't go wrong with those top 4.

non us img...no visa needed...interested in GI...my top places are...
UPMC (main campus) , iowa , mayo rochester , rutgers njms , UH/Case wester , cleveland clinic , metrohealth case western ,uconn, Einstein philly ,suny upstate syracuse , tufts ,utmb galveston, saint luke roosevelt..

upmc is top choice...unsure about the rest...

priorities: solid clinical training..fellowship...good social life as i am a single..

having interviewed there, mayo would definitely get you the clinical training and fellowship. obviously not great social life in rochester, but the twin cities aren't too far away

Which program is stronger/more prestigious: IU or Wake Forest?

I am interested in Cards and would like to be at a program that provides solid training and sets myself up for cards fellowship. Duke is a solid #1 for me but after that things start to get blurry. Not sure if any of the programs after Yale should be higher on my list. Any input is greatly appreciated.

1. Duke
2. Vanderbilt
3. Wash U
4. Yale
5. University of Chicago
6. Northwestern
7. BIDMC
8. Cornell
9. UPMC
10. UNC
11. Emory
12. Baylor
13. University of Colorado

Which program is stronger/more prestigious: IU or Wake Forest?

There is a fellow at my med school who graduate from Wake. He told me it is very much a "resident run" program - great autonomy. I think IU is also a solid program. They have strong fellowship programs so I think going to residency there sets you up nicely to stay on for fellowship if that's what you want.

I am interested in Cards and would like to be at a program that provides solid training and sets myself up for cards fellowship. Duke is a solid #1 for me but after that things start to get blurry. Not sure if any of the programs after Yale should be higher on my list. Any input is greatly appreciated.

1. Duke
2. Vanderbilt
3. Wash U
4. Yale
5. University of Chicago
6. Northwestern
7. BIDMC
8. Cornell
9. UPMC
10. UNC
11. Emory
12. Baylor
Pretty much every program after Yale should he higher (by at least 1 spot) than Yale.

But you won't match that far down anyway, so whatever's cool.

Got some feedback earlier about a couple of programs, but wanted to now get thoughts on my overall rank list. Interested in cards fellowship and a career in academics so both solid clinical training and research is important. A few of the places on my list include option for PSTP with a guaranteed cards fellowship with the initial match. Thanks ahead of time. I regionally prefer the southeast but am really open to anything if one of the more northern schools is that much better.

1. Emory - PSTP w/cards fellowship guaranteed
2. UAB - PSTP w/cards fellowship guaranteed
3. UT Houston - PSTP w/cards fellowship (thinking about moving this higher because of their rep for doing more aggressive procedures i.e. structural/TAVR/ECMO)
4. "Real" Case Western - PSTP w/cards fellowship guaranteed
5. UTSW - preference is making me rank lower
6. Baylor - PSTP
7. Cleveland Clinic
8. Wake Forest
9. USF

The first 3 are really a toss up. I like all of them for different reasons. I guess my big question is if I did decide to put UT Houston #1, anyone think it would shut doors completely for higher academic ambitions?

Thanks!

I've got a lot of interviews this season, but there are 5 IM programs that really have garnered my interest and I'd appreciate your opinions:

Lenox Hill
University at Buffalo
What are your career goals?

Got some feedback earlier about a couple of programs, but wanted to now get thoughts on my overall rank list. Interested in cards fellowship and a career in academics so both solid clinical training and research is important. A few of the places on my list include option for PSTP with a guaranteed cards fellowship with the initial match. Thanks ahead of time. I regionally prefer the southeast but am really open to anything if one of the more northern schools is that much better.

3. UT Houston - PSTP w/cards fellowship (thinking about moving this higher because of their rep for doing more aggressive procedures i.e. structural/TAVR/ECMO)
6. Baylor - PSTP
7. Cleveland Clinic
8. Wake Forest
9. USF

The first 3 are really a toss up. I like all of them for different reasons. I guess my big question is if I did decide to put UT Houston #1, anyone think it would shut doors completely for higher academic ambitions?

Thanks!

i know very little about most of these programs, and even less about UT Houston, but: if you are truly doing PSTP for the purposes of launching a physician-scientist career, academic opportunities (and research mentorship opportunities) should be one of your highest priorities in your ranking (things like geography/finances/family concerns notwithstanding)

Hey guys, having a tough time ranking these four traditional programs: 1) Icahn Mt. Sinai, 2) NYU, 3) Yale, 4) BIDMC -- priority is fellowship placement/competitiveness (likely going for cards or GI). Location isn't important to me. Thanks for your help!!

UTSW, Vandy and WashU would be at the top, closely followed by UVA then maybe UNC and colorado (especially if you like the outdoors), and the rest is up to you.

1. Duke
2. Vanderbilt
3. Wash U
4. Yale
5. University of Chicago
6. Northwestern
7. BIDMC
8. Cornell
9. UPMC
10. UNC
11. Emory
12. Baylor

BIDMC should be in the mix with WashU and Vandy, but the rest look ok.

Hey guys, having a tough time ranking these four traditional programs: 1) Icahn Mt. Sinai, 2) NYU, 3) Yale, 4) BIDMC -- priority is fellowship placement/competitiveness (likely going for cards or GI). Location isn't important to me. Thanks for your help!!

Which felt best? All those programs will set you up for fellowship, the NYC programs may give you an edge for NYC fellowships. Yale seemed pretty researchy, which helps its match list and BIDMC is clinically robust and has a diverse match list. I'd put BIDMC at the top followed by the rest.

6. Baylor - PSTP
7. Cleveland Clinic
8. Wake Forest
9. USF

Thanks!

i know very little about most of these programs, and even less about UT Houston, but: if you are truly doing PSTP for the purposes of launching a physician-scientist career, academic opportunities (and research mentorship opportunities) should be one of your highest priorities in your ranking (things like geography/finances/family concerns notwithstanding)

If you are interested in research and a career as a physician-scientist, you should pick based on strength of clinical education in your fellowship of choice, research strength, particular mentors in your area of interest, and support for early career development/ retention rate. It makes no sense to me to pick a program just because cards fellowship is guaranteed. If you want to pursue a career as a scientist, you should go to the program that sets you up for this. Most likely huge academic institutions. I would pick UTSW first hands down, then consider UAB vs Emory. You will have no problem getting into cards from UTSW, so you need no guarantees.

If you are interested in research and a career as a physician-scientist, you should pick based on strength of clinical education in your fellowship of choice, research strength, particular mentors in your area of interest, and support for early career development/ retention rate. It makes no sense to me to pick a program just because cards fellowship is guaranteed. If you want to pursue a career as a scientist, you should go to the program that sets you up for this. Most likely huge academic institutions. I would pick UTSW first hands down, then consider UAB vs Emory. You will have no problem getting into cards from UTSW, so you need no guarantees.

Thanks for the comments. What you said regarding the importance of a guaranteed cards fellowship is part of the reason I'm deliberating some of these programs. I also don't feel it is necessary and am strongly considering doing the traditional categorical path at one of these programs and leaving fellowship open. I agree from a prestige standpoint UTSW is the best choice, but I didn't feel that I fit in as well there as other places (in fact I left a couple other highly ranked programs off my rank list for this same reason). The programs at the top of my list are what I feel are the best mix between fit for my research, available mentors, geographic interests and feeling of fit during my interview. Granted they are more mid-level, but I felt that I could develop better in their training environment. My main struggle right now is if I should follow my instinct right now and rank the categorical spots higher than the PSTP spots, even for the same program, and do the traditional physician scientist route. And if mid-level programs would completely close the door for moving up the academic ladder. Thoughts?

i know this has been beaten to death in various threads over the years...but for cleveland programs UH > Metrohealth > CCF , right ?

How would UT-Houston compare with the 3 cleveland programs if location is not a consideration ?

Thanks for the comments. What you said regarding the importance of a guaranteed cards fellowship is part of the reason I'm deliberating some of these programs. I also don't feel it is necessary and am strongly considering doing the traditional categorical path at one of these programs and leaving fellowship open. I agree from a prestige standpoint UTSW is the best choice, but I didn't feel that I fit in as well there as other places (in fact I left a couple other highly ranked programs off my rank list for this same reason). The programs at the top of my list are what I feel are the best mix between fit for my research, available mentors, geographic interests and feeling of fit during my interview. Granted they are more mid-level, but I felt that I could develop better in their training environment. My main struggle right now is if I should follow my instinct right now and rank the categorical spots higher than the PSTP spots, even for the same program, and do the traditional physician scientist route. And if mid-level programs would completely close the door for moving up the academic ladder. Thoughts?

With the PSTP spots, isn't it where you only have to do 2 years before moving onwards to fellowship?

i doubt Emory or UAB is going to hold you back much. i also think that's a reasonable reason not to put a program higher; UTSW may be technically a little more favorably looked upon than either Emory or UAB but i think it's fairly minimal (again, assuming the kinds of research opportunities/mentors you're hoping to have are available at those places). my hesitancy is over UT Houston - i don't know how strong a program that is, especially research-wise. keep in mind too that guaranteed fellowship through PSTP is a one-way street: you are not required to stay for fellowship, and there are certainly people who switch institutions from PSTPs

With the PSTP spots, isn't it where you only have to do 2 years before moving onwards to fellowship?

many PSTPs are extensions of the ABIM research pathway, where you do two years of residency followed by fellowship (with the extra time going to an additional year of research). however, based on what i saw on the interview trail, it is not all that uncommon to do three years of IM residency within PSTPs, and most are flexible if that is what the trainee chooses to do (or, rarely, has to do...)

'm starting to make my ROL and I am having trouble ranking these hospitals. My interest after residency is cardiology or Heme/Onc, so fellowship placement and research are important factors. Since I am an IMG I am unsure about a program's "reputation" (how strong is it, the name, etc) and wouldn't want to make a decision without taking that into account. I already have my top 3 choices but I am unsure where to go from there with the following programs:

Einstein Health in Philly
St. Luke's Roosevelt in NYC
Jacobi (AECOM associated) in the Bronx
Bridgeport Hospital (Yale Associated)
Memorial Hospital of Rhode Island (Brown associated)
Mount Sinai Miami (this one is the one i feel should go in the bottom but I am willing to hear other opinions)

I'll appreciate any input I can get. Thanks in advance!

'm starting to make my ROL and I am having trouble ranking these hospitals. My interest after residency is cardiology or Heme/Onc, so fellowship placement and research are important factors. Since I am an IMG I am unsure about a program's "reputation" (how strong is it, the name, etc) and wouldn't want to make a decision without taking that into account. I already have my top 3 choices but I am unsure where to go from there with the following programs:

Einstein Health in Philly
St. Luke's Roosevelt in NYC
Jacobi (AECOM associated) in the Bronx
Bridgeport Hospital (Yale Associated)
Memorial Hospital of Rhode Island (Brown associated)
Mount Sinai Miami (this one is the one i feel should go in the bottom but I am willing to hear other opinions)

I'll appreciate any input I can get. Thanks in advance!

You have a pretty good handle on the reputations of the programs on your list. The top 3 could be put in pretty much any order and you'd be okay.

Pretty much every program after Yale should he higher (by at least 1 spot) than Yale.

But you won't match that far down anyway, so whatever's cool.

I would put Yale's IM program above every program on your list aside from Duke for somebody interested in Cardiology. My opinion is based on fellowship match lists and available research mentors, coming from a cardiology fellow at a top tier program who recently went through the interview process. With that said, Wash U and Vandy are great too and you won't go wrong with any of the places on that list. Best of luck to you.

You have a pretty good handle on the reputations of the programs on your list. The top 3 could be put in pretty much any order and you'd be okay.

Thanks! that's my problem. They'all seem too similar to put one over the other!

Hey, thanks for getting back to me. So, would you rank it further down? Or is it still the best of the lot?
Honestly I'm not sure where exactly, but definitely not at the bottom. I'm not familiar with other programs on your list.

Lenox Hill
University at Buffalo
B-lo
UConn
Lenox Hill (solely for the opportunity to rotate at MSKCC...assuming that still exists, it's been >10 years since I cared about NYC IM programs...if that no longer exists, then keep it here for location)
Winthrop
Cooper

Planning on doing GI. No real geographic preference besides liking Seattle and Chicago. Will probably eventually try to make my way back to the east coast for or after fellowship. Liked the culture at BIDMC a lot. Liked NYU the best out of those NYC programs, but would probably like to stay out of NYC if possible.

University of Washington
Northwestern
University of Chicago
BIDMC
Michigan
UTSW
Yale
NYU
Cornell
Mt. Sinai
UNC
Colorado

Planning on doing GI. No real geographic preference besides liking Seattle and Chicago. Will probably eventually try to make my way back to the east coast for or after fellowship. Liked the culture at BIDMC a lot. Liked NYU the best out of those NYC programs, but would probably like to stay out of NYC if possible.

University of Washington
Northwestern
University of Chicago
BIDMC
Michigan
UTSW
Yale
NYU
Cornell
Mt. Sinai
UNC
Colorado
None of those places is going to hold you back WRT getting a GI fellowship spot. It would be easy to sit around and nitpick the precise order of this list, but the reality is that, these are all great programs and if you happen to fall to #12 on your list, you're still going to be just fine.

Thanks. I had it like:

1. OK
2. Nebraska
3. Miss
4. Mizzou
5. Rush

gutonc, where do you think Univ of Kentucky belongs in relation to these 5 other programs? It is known as a stronger program than the others?

gutonc, where do you think Univ of Kentucky belongs in relation to these 5 other programs? It is known as a stronger program than the others?
Sweet Jaby Besus...could you ask all the questions at once and get it over with?

Name all the programs on your list.

Status
Not open for further replies.