Official 2016-2017 Help Me Rank Megathread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very preliminary list:
1-6 (??order): Cornell, UCLA, UPMC, UTSW, Vanderbilt, Yale
7/8. UCSD/Colorado
9/10/11. Northwestern/NYU/Michigan
12. OHSU

More info:
  • Undecided on fellowship plans. Looking for a program that will have a diverse intern year experience to help me explore a few possibilities (including GI and heme/onc). Not sure if going to the "biggest name possible" will make up for deciding on a competitive specialty as a PG2 instead of a PG1?
  • Ideally I'd like to know I could match for fellowship in other parts of the country -- it's always hard to tell from fellowship match lists because most people want to stay in the same region.
  • Access to the outdoors is a plus

Members don't see this ad.

Very preliminary list:
7/8. UCSD/Colorado
12. OHSU

More info:
  • Undecided on fellowship plans. Looking for a program that will have a diverse intern year experience to help me explore a few possibilities (including GI and heme/onc). Not sure if going to the "biggest name possible" will make up for deciding on a competitive specialty as a PG2 instead of a PG1?
  • Ideally I'd like to know I could match for fellowship in other parts of the country -- it's always hard to tell from fellowship match lists because most people want to stay in the same region.

Hey, I'm curious (just cause I've got some similar considerations to make): what was your thinking in putting UCSD/Colorado lower than say UPMC, UTSW, Vanderbilt, Yale?

could you ask all the questions at once and get it over with?

Name all the programs on your list.
Sorry, here they are (in my tentative ROL):

University of Oklahoma
University of Nebraska
Rush
University of Mississippi
University of Kentucky
University of Illinois at Peoria
University of Arizona-Phoenix
University of Missouri-Columbia (Mizzou)
University of Tennessee-Nashville
Lutheran General Hospital (Illinois)

My long-term goal is a fellowship in Pulmonary/CCM.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, here they are (in my tentative ROL):

University of Oklahoma
University of Nebraska
Rush
University of Mississippi
University of Kentucky
University of Illinois at Peoria
University of Arizona-Phoenix
University of Missouri-Columbia (Mizzou)
University of Tennessee-Nashville
Lutheran General Hospital (Illinois)

My long-term goal is a fellowship in Pulmonary/CCM.
Looks fine. Except I remember you saying you'd rather die than live in Chicago.

See how easy that was? You had 1 question. Just ask it...no need for 6 posts to get there.

Reactions: 1 user
Very preliminary list:
7/8. UCSD/Colorado
12. OHSU

More info:
-none of those places will hold you back for either fellowship you're interested in. even if you decide on a fellowship in PGY2 instead of PGY1, you'll be fine. is deciding in PGY1 better? sure, but not a prerequisite.
-hard to say, there's a regional bias anywhere you go. but if you're a good applicant when applying and if your program has faculty that are known nationwide (which all of those programs should), then it becomes less of an issue.
-what does "access to outdoors is a plus" mean? all of the hospitals you named have doors and windows.
...sarcasm aside, do you like the urban jungle? Cornell/UCLA/UTSW/NYU. do you like surfing or beaches? UCSD/UCLA. do you like skiing? Colorado.

Interested in GI, really appreciate input.

1. University of Chicago
2. WashU
3. Mayo Rochester
4. University of Wisconsin Madison
5. Case
6. Yale
7. University of Minnesota
8. University of Cincinnati
9. Brown
10. Loyola
11. Rush
12. UAB
13. Ohio State
14. University of Iowa
15. University of Illinois Chicago

Hey, I'm curious (just cause I've got some similar considerations to make): what was your thinking in putting UCSD/Colorado lower than say UPMC, UTSW, Vanderbilt, Yale?

UCSD - I actually really liked the people, but I'm considering GI and several residents I met said the GI faculty seemed reluctant to mentor/include residents in research. Expected to be wowed by SD and felt ambivalent about the city.

Colorado - after the interview dinner, got the feeling that many residents ranked colorado highly for the location rather than anything specific about the program (which is also probably why it's not lower on my list). residents seemed more overworked than elsewhere (longer hours on inpatient) and the hospitals are 20 mins apart. also they have an interim PD so who knows who'll be leading the program next year.

-what does "access to outdoors is a plus" mean? all of the hospitals you named have doors and windows.

Ha. I should've known someone would take that too literally.

Last edited:
Please help me decide whether I should rank BIDMC or Cornell higher. I'm interested in heme/onc (most likely in an academic setting - I'm very interested in research).

BIDMC: I really liked the program when I was at the interview day. The residents seemed happy and there was definitely a collegial atmosphere. It has a reputation for great teaching. There is also high autonomy, which is a plus. I liked how wellness seemed to be a priority: twilight shift, x+y, etc. There are lots of research opportunities within the Harvard system, and their new physician-scientist track seems to set you up pretty well for an academic career. However, the housing options around the area are not great and Boston is getting more expensive. I also don't know if there's any competition from the other hospitals in the area and how that could affect the residency training.

Cornell: I have strong ties to the program and area, including an SO in NYC, which for me means a great support system and much higher quality of life. I'm also one of those people who really likes NYC. Cornell has incredibly strong heme/onc, and research opportunities abound, especially at MSK across the street. Technology is well-integrated into the program, which is very cool, and overall, NYP-Cornell has a lot of resources. Conferences were pretty good as well. There is more of a push for resident well-being now with the x+y system, but it's not a "warm and fuzzy" program. There is also less autonomy as teams are more attending-driven.

Very preliminary list:
7/8. UCSD/Colorado
12. OHSU

More info:

I'd drop UPMC near the bottom and NW/NYU/Michigan higher. As for broad fellowship opportunities you'd probably do ok coming from any of those residencies. However, if you want to end up in California, UCLA and UCSD might give you an edge for California fellowships, same can be said of NYC and NYU, Cornell and maybe Yale.

1. University of Chicago
2. WashU
3. Mayo Rochester
5. Case
6. Yale
9. Brown
10. Loyola
11. Rush
12. UAB
13. Ohio State
14. University of Iowa

I'd put WashU #1 and Yale ahead of Mayo, maybe bump up OSU a few notches (but doubtful you'd go that low anyways).

Please help me decide whether I should rank BIDMC or Cornell higher. I'm interested in heme/onc (most likely in an academic setting - I'm very interested in research).

BIDMC: I really liked the program when I was at the interview day. The residents seemed happy and there was definitely a collegial atmosphere. It has a reputation for great teaching. There is also high autonomy, which is a plus. I liked how wellness seemed to be a priority: twilight shift, x+y, etc. There are lots of research opportunities within the Harvard system, and their new physician-scientist track seems to set you up pretty well for an academic career. However, the housing options around the area are not great and Boston is getting more expensive. I also don't know if there's any competition from the other hospitals in the area and how that could affect the residency training.

Cornell: I have strong ties to the program and area, including an SO in NYC, which for me means a great support system and much higher quality of life. I'm also one of those people who really likes NYC. Cornell has incredibly strong heme/onc, and research opportunities abound, especially at MSK across the street. Technology is well-integrated into the program, which is very cool, and overall, NYP-Cornell has a lot of resources. Conferences were pretty good as well. There is more of a push for resident well-being now with the x+y system, but it's not a "warm and fuzzy" program. There is also less autonomy as teams are more attending-driven.

Generally speaking, I'd give the slight edge to BIDMC over Cornell, but given your personal situation and preference to NYC, I'd go Cornell.

Reactions: 1 users

1. University of Chicago
2. WashU
3. Mayo Rochester
5. Case
6. Yale
9. Brown
10. Loyola
11. Rush
12. UAB
13. Ohio State
14. University of Iowa

Yale, Wash U and Mayo are in a different class than the other programs here in terms of fellowship competitiveness. It looks like you have midwest ties based on the programs you have on your list so I would probably put Wash U first.

Very preliminary list:
7/8. UCSD/Colorado
12. OHSU

More info:

All of these programs are in a similar tier and should offer similar fellowship opportunities. For whatever its worth, my favorites on this list were Vandy, Yale, Cornell, Northwestern, NYU and Michigan

My impression is that Cornell and BID are on par with each other overall for IM, but Cornell's ties to MSK and your support system in NYC would suggest Cornell>BID. I'm not familiar with the recent match lists in heme onc from either program so you might look into that as well. You can't go wrong with either one though!

Right now interested in hospitalist medicine possibly palliative however keeping my options open. Applied tri-state. Please help me rank.
Albert Einstein
Downstate
Jacobi
Lenox Hill
North Shore
Rutgers
Staten Island
Winthrop

Right now interested in hospitalist medicine possibly palliative however keeping my options open. Applied tri-state. Please help me rank.
Albert Einstein
Downstate
Jacobi
Lenox Hill
North Shore
Rutgers
Staten Island
Winthrop
Which Rutgers?

Assuming it's NJMS, NS #2 or 3, Rutgers 4 or 5 and Downstate above SI.

Members don't see this ad :)
non us img...no visa needed...interested in GI...my top places are...
UPMC (main campus) , iowa , mayo rochester , rutgers njms , UH/Case wester , cleveland clinic , metrohealth case western ,uconn, Einstein philly ,suny upstate syracuse , tufts ,utmb galveston, saint luke roosevelt..

upmc is top choice...unsure about the rest...

priorities: solid clinical training..fellowship...good social life as i am a single..

bump!!

specific question... how do I rank cleveland programs? (UH,METRO,CCF) If I ranked the cleveland programs for above mayo just for the social life thing would that be a big mistake?

If nobody else will, I'll get this started!

Need some help hashing out my top 5. Obviously strong midwest bias, interested in gi. In particular I am wondering if I am shooting myself in the foot by not having Wisconsin higher.

1. Mayo
2. Utah
3. U Wisconsin
4. Minnesota
5. Iowa

Just replying to this since I didn't receive any responses earlier and my post got buried -- any thoughts on this list/order?

I'm still early in the process of figuring out what I want in a program. I want to keep the opportunity open for a prestigious fellowship (cards, GI) but for now I'm leaning towards women's health/primary care or pulm crit care (I know, literally opposites). My very very tentative list right now is.

1. Emory (seems strong in Cards and reputation, I like the crazy community hospital they work at, I like that it's warm but I only have a superficial feel for the city)
2. UChicago (My hometown. Strong reputation.)
3. UPMC (strong women's health. but I have a feeling it's ranked higher than its prestige)
4. Michigan (cons: small town. cold. But a really strong program)

then, loosely ordered:
Rush, Tufts, Kaiser SF, Loyola, Maryland, UIC

Any advice, for either portion of the list? Am I over estimating Emory's prestige? What do people think about Tufts? During my interview, it seemed like a pretty decent place that has a poor reputation because it's overshadowed by the Harvards... but it was hard to tell (and one of my fellow interviewees left a bad taste in my mouth, which is unfair to the program). Any thoughts at all about Kaiser? (it is the smallest program by far--10 residents per class!! and I don't know what to make of it)

If anyone can rank all those programs I listed I would greatly appreciate it.
Albert Einstein
North Shore
Rutgers
Downstate
Winthrop
Lenox Hill
Staten Island
Jacobi

If "Albert Einstein" is referring to the Montefiore IM program then I would put that 1, North Shore LIJ at 2, Lenox Hill at 3, then the rest.

Just replying to this since I didn't receive any responses earlier and my post got buried -- any thoughts on this list/order?

Solid list, could consider swapping Utah and Wisconsin but I'm not sure there is a a dramatic difference there.

I'm still early in the process of figuring out what I want in a program. I want to keep the opportunity open for a prestigious fellowship (cards, GI) but for now I'm leaning towards women's health/primary care or pulm crit care (I know, literally opposites). My very very tentative list right now is.

1. Emory (seems strong in Cards and reputation, I like the crazy community hospital they work at, I like that it's warm but I only have a superficial feel for the city)
2. UChicago (My hometown. Strong reputation.)
3. UPMC (strong women's health. but I have a feeling it's ranked higher than its prestige)
4. Michigan (cons: small town. cold. But a really strong program)

then, loosely ordered:
Rush, Tufts, Kaiser SF, Loyola, Maryland, UIC

Any advice, for either portion of the list? Am I over estimating Emory's prestige? What do people think about Tufts? During my interview, it seemed like a pretty decent place that has a poor reputation because it's overshadowed by the Harvards... but it was hard to tell (and one of my fellow interviewees left a bad taste in my mouth, which is unfair to the program). Any thoughts at all about Kaiser? (it is the smallest program by far--10 residents per class!! and I don't know what to make of it)

Your top four are all good programs. Michigan may have the strongest reputation of that group in IM, but they are all pretty close. I have heard that UPMC has one of the elite PCCM departments in the country (large transplant center) so if they are also strong in women's health, you might lean that way (given your stated interests). Ultimately, let your gut feel and location preference guide you when sorting through those top four.

I'm most interested in Cards, see myself going into academics, and believe education will be a significant part of my career. Any thoughts on the following programs (alphabetized) would be much appreciated.

Michigan
UTSW
Vandy
WashU

I'm most interested in Cards, see myself going into academics, and believe education will be a significant part of my career. Any thoughts on the following programs (alphabetized) would be much appreciated.

Michigan
UTSW
Vandy
WashU
If you like 'em alphabetized, I guess there are worse ways to rank them.

My preliminary list. Interested in cardiology fellowship. Northeast preference for family/significant other
Would appreciate some input! Thanks guys

Cleveland clinic
UMass
Drexel
UConn
Georgetown
Rutgers njms
Mt Sinai SLR
Suny Upstate
Jacobi
Downstate
Jacobi
NYMC Westchester

Having a very hard time deciding Bewteen my top 2 choices: u of Chicago and northwestern. Any help would be appreciated

Any idea of what you want to do after residency?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
No I have no clue. I think that's why it's so difficult. U Chicago is 4+2 whereas northwestern is not idk how much that matters in the long run though. Any info you have on the two schools would helpful

No I have no clue. I think that's why it's so difficult. U Chicago is 4+2 whereas northwestern is not idk how much that matters in the long run though. Any info you have on the two schools would helpful
IMO Northwestern>U Chicago. Better leadership and more dynamic program. But that's one person's opinion, and they're both overall really strong programs. As always, depends a bit on what you want to ultimately do, but as you're not sure, I would go for Northwestern if I were you.

Re: 4+2 and other call schedule details, I would highly urge you not to make decisions on such trivialities unless residents there cited one system or the other as a problem. No right or wrong answer to that anyway - depends a lot on the logistics/specifics of a particular hospital/health care system. Focus on the big picture!

Good luck!

Any help would be appreciated. I'd like to go into cardiology.

UPMC
Michigan
University Hospitals- Case
Ohio State
Rochester
Cincinnati
George Washington
Jefferson
Rush
Montefiore
Maryland

UPMC
Michigan
Ohio State
Rochester
Cincinnati
George Washington
Jefferson
Rush
Montefiore
Maryland

Umich
Upmc
Ohio state
Jefferson=monte=Maryland
Rochester
Cincinnati
Gw

Don't know much about case but probably in the top half and same about Rush but probably below Jeff/monte/umd

Would love to hear people's take on how they'd rank the following: (interested in GI; tend to prefer midwest but wouldn't mind east)

Mayo Rochester
University of Wisconsin Madison
Case-University Hospitals
Yale

Thanks so much for the insight!

Michigan
UTSW
Vandy
WashU

These programs are all pretty even. You will be well trained at all four and none of them will hold you back from cards fellowship. Figure out where you want to live and which program you feel the most comfortable with and go with that. I would have ranked 1. Wash U 2. Vandy 3. Michigan 4. UTSW because the Cardinals are great, Nashville is awesome, Ann Arbor is too cold and Texas is too hot.

My preliminary list. Interested in cardiology fellowship. Northeast preference for family/significant other
Would appreciate some input! Thanks guys

Cleveland clinic
UMass
Drexel
UConn
Georgetown
Rutgers njms
Mt Sinai SLR
Suny Upstate
Jacobi
Downstate
Jacobi
NYMC Westchester

For cards, Cleveland clinic then everyone else. It's true that the medicine program is not in the same class as the cardiology fellowship but you'll have access to world class mentors and research opportunities that will open doors for fellowship. Beyond that, University programs > community programs/loosely affiliated programs if your goal is an academic cards career.

I would agree that NW is slightly > U of Chicago but they are comparable. Agree that the schedule shouldn't factor in too much, it often will change anyway.

UPMC
Michigan
Ohio State
Rochester
Cincinnati
George Washington
Jefferson
Rush
Montefiore
Maryland

If your plan is cards, Michigan > UPMC > the rest. They all look like well-respected university programs so you will be in good shape for getting a fellowship regardless.

Would love to hear people's take on how they'd rank the following: (interested in GI; tend to prefer midwest but wouldn't mind east)

Mayo Rochester
University of Wisconsin Madison
Case-University Hospitals
Yale

Thanks so much for the insight!

Yale = Mayo > the rest. Yale and Mayo are very different programs, you should have a sense of which one fits your style better.

Reactions: 1 users
Planning on doing GI. No real geographic preference besides liking Seattle and Chicago. Will probably eventually try to make my way back to the east coast for or after fellowship. Liked the culture at BIDMC a lot. Liked NYU the best out of those NYC programs, but would probably like to stay out of NYC if possible.

University of Washington
Northwestern
University of Chicago
BIDMC
Michigan
UTSW
Yale
NYU
Cornell
Mt. Sinai
UNC
Colorado

they discovered crohns disease at sinai so id say go there maybe?

For cards, Cleveland clinic then everyone else. It's true that the medicine program is not in the same class as the cardiology fellowship but you'll have access to world class mentors and research opportunities that will open doors for fellowship. Beyond that, University programs > community programs/loosely affiliated programs if your goal is an academic cards career.

Yeah CCF is a clear front runner on my list. Any thoughts on how you'd rank the following university programs though? Thats where I'm running into more uncertainty
Appreciate the help

IMO Northwestern>U Chicago. Better leadership and more dynamic program. But that's one person's opinion, and they're both overall really strong programs. As always, depends a bit on what you want to ultimately do, but as you're not sure, I would go for Northwestern if I were you.

Re: 4+2 and other call schedule details, I would highly urge you not to make decisions on such trivialities unless residents there cited one system or the other as a problem. No right or wrong answer to that anyway - depends a lot on the logistics/specifics of a particular hospital/health care system. Focus on the big picture!

Good luck!

To add onto this, both seemed like great programs! Below are some of my thoughts.

U Chicago stood out to me as having strong Pulm/CC and Onc training. It also serves the population of south Chicago that otherwise would have few options for healthcare and has the benefit of block scheduling. There are many tracks/pathways to explore outside interests (research, education, etc). The CCD recently opened and is a beautiful facility built to capture data for future QI projects. The location is such that many residents are able to have/afford/use a car.

Northwestern was described as front loaded, with 8 inpatient months as a PGY-1 and then 9 total as a PGY-2 + PGY-3. The result is fewer golden weekends as an intern with more later on in residency (while on consult/elective months), and the ability to explore more during the later years. Residents emphasized how strong the fellows and fellowships are across the subspecialties. When I asked program leadership about their different tracks/pathways (e.g. QI, education, etc) they stated it was not an option to informally sample these but rather a resident should commit to one. However, residents described the ability to make electives in these fields without being directly involved in the tracks/pathways. Being in downtown Chicago it is more of a burden to have a car rather than use public transportation.

Please help rank these. Hoping to pursue a Cards fellowship, no location preference. Thank you.

My thoughts: Cinci, VCU, Wake, U of Rochester, UMaryland, CCF, Penn State, U of Buffalo, MetroHealth

Hey guys! what do you think of Rush vs UTH? which one would you rank higher for fellowship in cards or heme/onc?

Thanks!

Hey guys! what do you think of Rush vs UTH? which one would you rank higher for fellowship in cards or heme/onc?

Thanks!
Not even a legit question. Houston has md Anderson and it seems at least over the last few years one resident matches at Texas heart. On the flip side you have Chicago, it's weather, traffic, and the ghetto ness of the general medical center area.

Michigan
UTSW
Vandy
WashU

Can't go wrong with any of those programs. With respect to cardiology, just thought you might be interested to know that the publication Circulation is now based out of UTSW so you could be working alongside editors of the magazine during your CCU months

Albert Einstein
Downstate
Jacobi
Lenox Hill
North Shore
Rutgers
Staten Island
Winthrop

Downstate should be MUCH lower on your list. The only program it may beat is Staten Island.
#1: Einstein (if this is the "moses and weiler" program in the bronx) vs North Shore (if this is the Hofstra North Shore-LIJ program) depending on how hard you want to work and how interested you are in underserved population. If you have no interest in the latter and just want to get through residency and become a community hospitalist with no interest in academics I would strongly consider taking the $$$, subsidized housing and easier schedule at north shore.

For anyone familir with the programs, how would you compare St. Lukes Roosevelt in NYC with Lenox Hill? I am looking to go into cards and the matches from both programs are pretty similar. Any firsthand knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone can rank all those programs I listed I would greatly appreciate it.
Albert Einstein
North Shore
Rutgers
Downstate
Winthrop
Lenox Hill
Staten Island
Jacobi

Hey I actually interviewed at all of these places and a few more. Do you want rankinga based purely on reputation or what?

For anyone familir with the programs, how would you compare St. Lukes Roosevelt in NYC with Lenox Hill? I am looking to go into cards and the matches from both programs are pretty similar. Any firsthand knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
SLR>>>>Lenox hill

SLR more imgs Lenox hill more do/Caribbean grads

SLR>>>>Lenox hill

SLR more imgs Lenox hill more do/Caribbean grads
What are you basing this off of? The cards match is essentially equal between the two even with Lenox having a smaller class. I an aware SLR is more img and Lenox is DO/IMG but im not as concerned about this because it doesnt have anything to do with fellowship possibilities. Just curious why you consider SLR better when on paper it doesnt seem any better

Last edited:
What are you basing this off of? The cards match is essentially equal between the two even with Lenox having a smaller class. I an aware SLR is more img and Lenox is DO/IMG but im not as concerned about this because it doesnt have anything to do with fellowship possibilities. Just curious why you consider SLR better when on paper it doesnt seem any better

Interviewed at both rotated as a med student at both have a great understanding of each of their reputations and SLR is just a better program. You're basing your opinion off of a cardiology match and that's far from how you should be evaluating a program's reputation. Granted my experience rotating and interviewing was 4 yrs ago but from my understanding not much has changed besides SLR being mount Sinai associated now instead of Columbia.

ultimately the reputation of a program isn't the only determinant of how you should rank them, fit is important as well as where you'd see yourself happiest.

Interviewed at both rotated as a med student at both have a great understanding of each of their reputations and SLR is just a better program. You're basing your opinion off of a cardiology match and that's far from how you should be evaluating a program's reputation. Granted my experience rotating and interviewing was 4 yrs ago but from my understanding not much has changed besides SLR being mount Sinai associated now instead of Columbia.

ultimately the reputation of a program isn't the only determinant of how you should rank them, fit is important as well as where you'd see yourself happiest.
I understand what youre saying. There are very few objective ways to evaulate a program you have never been to. I realize that fellowship match is by no means completely objective as it depends on the applicants and other factors but you can see trends. Thanks for the reply

I'm interested in Cardiology, but mostly open to anything. Mainly looking for a program with solid clinical training and good fellowship/research opportunities.

Duke/UTSW
Yale
Vanderbilt
Emory
Northwestern
U Chicago
Colorado
UNC
Wash U
OHSU
Wisconsin

Any help teasing this out is appreciated. Good luck ya'll.

Status
Not open for further replies.