Official 2018/2019 "Help Me Rank" Megathread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone,

I plan to pursue cardiology, and strength of in-house fellowship plus placement at outside programs is my biggest consideration. No geographic limitations, though I would like to live in a bit more of an urban area all else equal (hence my top two). Just want to make sure my perception of relative program strength isn't totally off base.

Baylor/Tufts
Case Western/UAB
OSU
Brown
U Wisconsin

Any insight appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I plan to pursue cardiology, and strength of in-house fellowship plus placement at outside programs is my biggest consideration. No geographic limitations, though I would like to live in a bit more of an urban area all else equal (hence my top two). Just want to make sure my perception of relative program strength isn't totally off base.

Baylor/Tufts
Case Western/UAB
OSU
Brown
U Wisconsin

Any insight appreciated!
I'm curious what others would say but I'd argue that UAB is likely the strongest program on your list. Baylor may have a small advantage in placing residents into more prestigious cards fellowships given Texas Heart's proximity. I also think Wisconsin could be moved up either above or equal to OSU. And, I think Tufts may be the weakest of these programs

@GastriqueGraffin I'm hoping to match into GI after residency. Pretty uncertain about the top of my rank list at this point but here's the programs will make the top 7: USC, UAB, Louisville, UT Houston, Baylor Scott White, Utah, U of AZ-PHX.

Prioritizing a solid residency that will help me reach my goal of matching GI. Would be nice to be in a good place for a family of 3 soon to be 4.
You can get fellowship from any of those without too much difficulty so just think where you want to live. Just assume you will end up in your own program or at least the same region for fellowship. That’s at least 6 years from the time you start (assuming you don’t do a Chief year or a advance year). Might be worthwhile to ask your spouse or family where they would like to live for that reason

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

Baylor/Tufts
Case Western/UAB
OSU
Brown
U Wisconsin

Any insight appreciated!

Wisco osu uab case all better than tufts and brown. Brown is a good program in a bad location (IMO) and their match list was unimpressive when I was interviewing several years ago, with more of a focus of primary care. Tufts is a good program in a great location but still reputation wise is below the other programs.

Hello,

Please help me rank these programs, pursuing GI. My preliminary order. No geographic preference. Thank you.

Case
Tufts
Maryland
George Washington
Utah

Would appreciate any insight on which programs are more reputable?

Hey everyone,

Baylor/Tufts
Case Western/UAB
OSU
Brown
U Wisconsin

Any insight appreciated!
UAB/Wisco
Baylor/tOSU
Case/Tufts
Brown

Hello, there! I am a Non-US Need Visa IMG interested in ID. In descending order:

Texas Tech, Lubbock
AEMC, PA
UTRGV DHR, TX
UTRGV VBMC, TX
Jacobi, NY
MacNeal, IL

I´ve got the rest of my list figured out, but I am struggling with this section. I know Jacobi is a good program for IMGs but I like Texas a lot, and although FREIDA lists University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV) programs as "community programs" they are pretty much University programs. I think UTRGV does not have its own University Hospital, so that is why.

Thanks.

I spent better part of yesterday morning looking at places, and it's far more difficult than even NYC, where I can pretty easily find reasonable places next to Columbia and Cornell.

Because you've thought about this decision before, may I ask a follow-up - do you think it would be reasonable to put these places above UCSF almost solely based on the cost of living: Columbia, Cornell, Duke, and Yale? Goal is heme-onc with a predominantly basic science lab career.

First world problem. This is again like deciding between a Ferrari and Lamborghini for your third car

Hey guys, would like your take on my rank list. Pretty sure about my 1-3 but after that it gets a bit murky. I'm looking to do academic cardiology so I'm prioritizing academics above everything.

1) Mount Sinai
2) Montefiore
3) USC
4) Georgetown
5) Rutgers - RWJ
6) UIC
7) Stony Brook
8) GWU
9) Harbor-UCLA
10) Temple
11) Northwell-NSLIJ
12) Lankenau

Hey guys, would like your take on my rank list. Pretty sure about my 1-3 but after that it gets a bit murky. I'm looking to do academic cardiology so I'm prioritizing academics above everything.

1) Mount Sinai
2) Montefiore
3) USC
4) Georgetown
5) Rutgers - RWJ
6) UIC
7) Stony Brook
8) GWU
9) Harbor-UCLA
10) Temple
11) Northwell-NSLIJ
12) Lankenau

Don’t really see a problem with your list as you have it.

Didn't see a reply so trying again......interested in cardiology fellowship eventually. 4-8 is where I'm primarily struggling
1. UConn
2. UMass
3. UVM
4. Lahey
5. Einstein, Philadelphia
6. Albany
7. Maine Med
8. Winthrop
9. Geisinger
10. St. Luke's Bethlehem
11. St. Vincent's Worcester

Thanks for any input.

Trying it again ....

Any thoughts on these program ranking ?

1) St. Luke Chesterfield, MO
2) Marshfield Clinic, Wisconsin
3) Metropolitan NYC
4) St. Luke Anderson, PA
5) Flushing, NY

Please help me rank if anyone knows about these programs. Not able to find much details...
Thanks

I have the number 1 spot on my list sorted out and needed help with my number 2 and 3.
The options that I have are University of Tennessee (Memphis) and University of Arkansas. What should be the order that I rank these programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello guys! I'm an IMG and need visa (prefer H1b). I'd appreciate any input on my rank list.

3- Tufts
4- Mount Sinai/ St. Luke’s
5- University of Arkansas
6- UMass
7- Penn State University
8- University of Arizona
9- Albert Einstein Philly
10- Beaumount - RO
11- MetroHealth
12- UMKC
13- University of Toledo
14- Medstar Washington Hospital Center
15- Oklahoma University
16- University of Missouri
17- Creighton University
18- Albany Medical Center
19- Ascension St. John Hospital

Hi everyone, I am having nightmares on ranking my top 3. I got great feelings in all of them so need your help. How would you rank:

U of Minnesota, CCF, and Rush?

I plan to pursue cardiology and location doesn't matter for me. I value the resident autonomy a lot and would like to be somewhere where I am hands-on. However, having the prestige (esp. CCF) would be sweet as well. Is the resident autonomy really different between CCF and the others?

Thanks!

You're in a good spot with those programs if you want to do GI. You can't really go wrong, because at the end of the day, you control how good of an application you have (research is the biggest selling point of the whole process). None of those programs will close any doors (maybe AZ-Phx will if you are an average applicant). A few things to keep in mind:

Fellowships are very regional. Doing residency at USC and getting solid letters puts you in good standing for GI fellowship not only at USC, but for a number of southern california programs, as they all tend to interview any solid candidate from the southern california area from academic centers. UAB, in my opinion, is a very underrated IM program. I have had multiple friends go there who have matched into great fellowships across the southeast and east coast, and met a lot of their residents on the GI interview trail. I think they have had a 100% match list for all fellowships over the last few years. Utah is a great place as well, and you'd probably get solid west coast interviews coming from there. All in all, I would keep in mind WHERE you and your family want you to do fellowship, as the fellowship match (especially GI) and fellowship interviews are extremely regional.

I am currently a chief resident at a major IM program who just matched GI and looked at a few of those programs for GI, and UAB, USC, Baylor and Utah are awesome. UT Houston is good but those fellows get worked to the bone. Dont know much about Louisville, but im sure its good, although may be a little geographically limiting unless you are just a killer applicant.
Wow, I really appreciate the response! Thank you for taking the time to do that. That is quite helpful. Congratulations on your match btw! Super cool

You can get fellowship from any of those without too much difficulty so just think where you want to live. Just assume you will end up in your own program or at least the same region for fellowship. That’s at least 6 years from the time you start (assuming you don’t do a Chief year or a advance year). Might be worthwhile to ask your spouse or family where they would like to live for that reason
Thank you! Much appreciated

Hi everyone, I am having nightmares on ranking my top 3. I got great feelings in all of them so need your help. How would you rank:

U of Minnesota, CCF, and Rush?

I plan to pursue cardiology and location doesn't matter for me. I value the resident autonomy a lot and would like to be somewhere where I am hands-on. However, having the prestige (esp. CCF) would be sweet as well. Is the resident autonomy really different between CCF and the others?

Thanks!
I'd personally rank them in that order.

Awesome, thank you so much! That’s kind of the feeling that I got as well. I really liked it there and finally decided I’m definitely ranking them 1 and then it’s the 2/3 I’m struggling with. I’ve flipped those about 5 times in the past week, now.
UofL prided itself on the idea of "supervised autonomy" and the residents all reported feeling they got excellent training. At the same time I got the sense that their work load and rigor was higher than quite a few other programs I liked (UT Houston for example). You get that impression?

Hi everyone! Hoping you can help, especially in regard to the reputation of these programs since I don't think I have a great sense of that right now. East coaster hoping to stay on the east coast but somewhat flexible for location. I'm not 100% sure of career goals, but thinking hospitalist vs ID or endocrine (unlikely to do GI/cards/heme onc). These are my top 5 in order of what I perceive as reputation:

1. OSU - Strong program that will prepare me for whatever I choose. Columbus is nice.
2. UMaryland - Probably nearly as strong as OSU, but Baltimore doesn't seem the best.
3. Rochester - Strength seemed comparable to Maryland but Rochester's weather and location is rough.
4. Georgetown - Love the location. Probably less strong than OSU/Maryland but wouldn't close any doors.
5. UMass - Got a great vibe from the residents. Maybe not as high reputation as the others but teaching seems second to none. I honestly think I'd be happy in Worcester.
6. VCU - Loved Richmond and their PD but perhaps lower reputation.

Do you agree with the program strength of OSU>UMaryland=Rochester>GT>UMass>VCU? I think my ranking will be more like 1/2. OSU and GT, 3. UMass, 4. Maryland, 5. Rochester 6. VCU but want to see whether that sounds reasonable to others.

Last edited:
I have already my number 1 decided. Please help me rank 2-4. I am interested in cardiology, hence looking for strong training, research availability, and decently prestigious/a-good-name program.
USC vs UCLA-Olive View vs UC Davis.

Hi everyone! Hoping you can help, especially in regard to the reputation of these programs since I don't think I have a great sense of that right now. East coaster hoping to stay on the east coast but somewhat flexible for location. I'm not 100% sure of career goals, but thinking hospitalist vs ID or endocrine (unlikely to do GI/cards/heme onc). These are my top 5 in order of what I perceive as reputation:

1. OSU - Strong program that will prepare me for whatever I choose. Columbus is nice.
2. UMaryland - Probably nearly as strong as OSU, but Baltimore doesn't seem the best.
3. Rochester - Strength seemed comparable to Maryland but Rochester's weather and location is rough.
4. Georgetown - Love the location. Probably less strong than OSU/Maryland but wouldn't close any doors.
5. UMass - Got a great vibe from the residents. Maybe not as high reputation as the others but teaching seems second to none. I honestly think I'd be happy in Worcester.
6. VCU - Loved Richmond and their PD but perhaps lower reputation.

Do you agree with the program strength of OSU>UMaryland=Rochester>GT>UMass>VCU? I think my ranking will be more like 1/2. OSU and GT, 3. UMass, 4. Maryland, 5. Rochester 6. VCU but want to see whether that sounds reasonable to others.

This seems reasonable

Trying to finalize my list but it's giving me undue amounts of stress. Have my top 4 down pat but

This block of programs I have no idea how to order.

SUNY Upstate
Uni. of Toledo
Wayne State
Uni. of Vermont
Mount Sinai Beth Israel
West Virginia U

I was thinking of doing:

University of Vermont
Mount Sinai Beth Israel
SUNY Upstate
West Virginia U
Wayne State
Uni of Toledo

Any thoughts? Would appreciate any input here.

I'm especially struggling with Vermont vs Upstate. Syracuse is a way more diverse and popping town but I have no idea how to gauge the programs. Vermont is almost all AMG's whereas Upstate's program is like 60% FMGs + IMGs but Upstate definitely sees the more diverse pathology with a more diverse patient population.

Last edited:
How would you rank these programs?

my initial rank: Am MD/PhD looking for Heme/Onc and Cancer Genetics research

1. UAB (Has a very specific project and program type that I want. )
2. WashU (Optimal Location as my sig other is there + good name recognition)
3. Indiana (Best interview Experience)
4. Rochester (Most enthusiastic research PIs)
5. Cincinnati (I like the QI and education model)
6. Tulane (I loved the people I interviewed with, I thought this program was pretty meh, but everyone keeps telling me it is super strong)
7. Scripps Green (San Diego is really nice, and Research is top notch, worried about its reputation)
8. SLU (Optimal Location, great culture and I really really want to rank it higher, but not sure if I should)
9. LSU-New Orleans (I liked the other residents)

6. Tulane (I loved the people I interviewed with, I thought this program was pretty meh, but everyone keeps telling me it is super strong)
7. Scripps Green (San Diego is really nice, and Research is top notch, worried about its reputation)
8. SLU (Optimal Location, great culture and I really really want to rank it higher, but not sure if I should)

UAB, WashU and IU are probably the best, with WashU probably being the top. I would but Cincy/Tulane/Rochester on the nex tier, although I dont know a whole lot about West coast programs. Also, your sig other is in St Louis? That seems to me like it would dictate a lot of your ranking, no? I feel that at the end of the day you gotta go off location.

UAB, WashU and IU are probably the best, with WashU probably being the top. I would but Cincy/Tulane/Rochester on the nex tier, although I dont know a whole lot about West coast programs. Also, your sig other is in St Louis? That seems to me like it would dictate a lot of your ranking, no? I feel that at the end of the day you gotta go off location.

True, I probably should do WashU #1 but I was definitely more impressed with UAB and its program. It really flips on the minute... SO said UAB is nice as she is M3 looking to match next year. St. Louis programs are preferable but could definitely follow as well

My other question is that how much higher should I be ranking St. Louis University even if its reputation is not as high as a lot of the other programs?

Last edited:
True, I probably should do WashU #1 but I was definitely more impressed with UAB and its program. It really flips on the minute... SO said UAB is nice as she is M3 looking to match next year. St. Louis programs are preferable but could definitely follow as well

My other question is that how much higher should I be ranking St. Louis University even if its reputation is not as high as a lot of the other programs?

Just my opinion, but from a career standpoint, you need to keep in mind where you want to do fellowship. If you want to match at a big time Heme Onc fellowship (meaning a top 5-top 10 program), you need to go to a top flight residency, which in your case would be UAB or WashU. Indiana would give you a lot of options too, but primarily in the midwest. SLU is a fine program, you just have better ones on your list. So I would think about your priorities; if being at one of the best heme onc research centers in the country is your primary goal, then SLU shouldnt be as high. If your primary goal is being near your SO, I would say rank SLU higher. One thing I wish I had known when applying for IM residency (i just matched fellowship this year), is that fellowship match is very regional, so I would keep in mind where you want to do fellowship before picking a residency. For example, (and im just making this up), if you are from the east coast, you might not want to do residency at Scripps if you want go back to the east coast for fellowship.

However, from a personal standpoint, you have to do what you have to do to keep your SO happy. UAB is an awesome program, but UAB is pretty much all there is in Birmingham and Alabama, so if you match there, you sort of pigeonhole your SO into matching in Birmingham. And they may be able to match there, but if they don't, you are living apart for 3-4 years. SLU is not as prestigious as those other programs, but there are more programs in St Louis than Birmingham which gives your SO more options, and being an MD/Phd, if you really kick butt in research during residiency or if you are a chief, you will still be a strong fellowship candidate coming from SLU.

Just my opinion, but from a career standpoint, you need to keep in mind where you want to do fellowship. If you want to match at a big time Heme Onc fellowship (meaning a top 5-top 10 program), you need to go to a top flight residency, which in your case would be UAB or WashU. Indiana would give you a lot of options too, but primarily in the midwest. SLU is a fine program, you just have better ones on your list. So I would think about your priorities; if being at one of the best heme onc research centers in the country is your primary goal, then SLU shouldnt be as high. If your primary goal is being near your SO, I would say rank SLU higher. One thing I wish I had known when applying for IM residency (i just matched fellowship this year), is that fellowship match is very regional, so I would keep in mind where you want to do fellowship before picking a residency. For example, (and im just making this up), if you are from the east coast, you might not want to do residency at Scripps if you want go back to the east coast for fellowship.

However, from a personal standpoint, you have to do what you have to do to keep your SO happy. UAB is an awesome program, but UAB is pretty much all there is in Birmingham and Alabama, so if you match there, you sort of pigeonhole your SO into matching in Birmingham. And they may be able to match there, but if they don't, you are living apart for 3-4 years. SLU is not as prestigious as those other programs, but there are more programs in St Louis than Birmingham which gives your SO more options, and being an MD/Phd, if you really kick butt in research during residiency or if you are a chief, you will still be a strong fellowship candidate coming from SLU.

Congrats on the match btw.

I think the big decision is that essentially all the programs ranked above SLU (except Tulane) are PSTP programs where fellowship in Heme/Onc is already guaranteed, and they can be converted to a categorical program if I want to match elsewhere for fellowship or not do Heme/Onc... matching to SLU would mean having to match again, and that is not a dealbreaker, but it is a painful decision to give up fellowship offers.

Hey everyone, been reading a lot of posts on this thread and was hoping to get some advice. My 1-3 are set but now I’m trying to decide on my 4-6. Right now it’s Downstate, Stony Brook and Beth Israel in that order. I prefer NYC over Long Island, but I’ve grown up on LI so I can definitely be happy staying.

Hey also md/phd applicant - I would just say don't count on a single project or a single PI being there in a couple of years. Instead, I would focus on deciding which institution will best help you reach your goals.

Congrats on the match btw.

I think the big decision is that essentially all the programs ranked above SLU (except Tulane) are PSTP programs where fellowship in Heme/Onc is already guaranteed, and they can be converted to a categorical program if I want to match elsewhere for fellowship or not do Heme/Onc... matching to SLU would mean having to match again, and that is not a dealbreaker, but it is a painful decision to give up fellowship offers.
That's a valid point. A guaranteed fellowship spot at your home institution is not only great because you don't have to apply, but your capacity to publish more meaningful research significantly goes up if you have 6-7 years at a place as opposed to 3 years (obviously). But still, if you an MD/PhD candidate with good research on your application, you still will match heme onc from SLU, you just may have a tougher time going to a really top program (top 5 or top 10 heme onc fellowships)

That's a valid point. A guaranteed fellowship spot at your home institution is not only great because you don't have to apply, but your capacity to publish more meaningful research significantly goes up if you have 6-7 years at a place as opposed to 3 years (obviously). But still, if you an MD/PhD candidate with good research on your application, you still will match heme onc from SLU, you just may have a tougher time going to a really top program (top 5 or top 10 heme onc fellowships)

That is a good point. I think the appropriate follow-up is: what would be the difference between a top tier heme once program vs a mid tier program be if I were to pursue an academic career?

Trying to finalize my list but it's giving me undue amounts of stress. Have my top 4 down pat but

This block of programs I have no idea how to order.

SUNY Upstate
Uni. of Toledo
Wayne State
Uni. of Vermont
Mount Sinai Beth Israel
West Virginia U

I was thinking of doing:

University of Vermont
Mount Sinai Beth Israel
SUNY Upstate
West Virginia U
Wayne State
Uni of Toledo

Any thoughts? Would appreciate any input here.

I'm especially struggling with Vermont vs Upstate. Syracuse is a way more diverse and popping town but I have no idea how to gauge the programs. Vermont is almost all AMG's whereas Upstate's program is like 60% FMGs + IMGs but Upstate definitely sees the more diverse pathology with a more diverse patient population.
Can't really comment on the UVM/Upstate issue, but MSBI should be last on your list, if it's on there at all.

Can't really comment on the UVM/Upstate issue, but MSBI should be last on your list, if it's on there at all.

So I'm like so confused by this. Their residents come from some pretty good schools and their match list is like very good, like better than every other program I have on this list.

Do you mind just elaborating on why they should be ranked dead last?

That is a good point. I think the appropriate follow-up is: what would be the difference between a top tier heme once program vs a mid tier program be if I were to pursue an academic career?
Well its hard to generalize, but I think the long and short of it is this: There are certain fellowships that carry so much weight, that you are pretty much guaranteed an academic heme onc job coming out (pending 1. thats what you want to do and 2. your not a complete screw-up at that program). This is true for all the most competitive fellowships (GI, Cards, Heme Onc). But these are the top dogs, probably the top 5-10 programs in the country. When you interview at these places, they use this as their biggest selling point. That isnt to say you cant get a good academic job from a mid-tier heme onc program, you just have to have a much better resume, as you can't get by on name alone. Also, usually the "higher tier" fellowships have better research opportunities, making research easier to find and more impactful, and therefore your academic resume looks better.

So I'm like so confused by this. Their residents come from some pretty good schools and their match list is like very good, like better than every other program I have on this list.

Do you mind just elaborating on why they should be ranked dead last?
Because the program/hospital is in the midst of shutting down. The fact that they're still trying to recruit residency classes is appalling.

Because the program/hospital is in the midst of shutting down. The fact that they're still trying to recruit residency classes is appalling.
They used the term "downsizing" but point taken lol.

Thank you for the input. If I take out BI, do you think the rest of my list looks okay in terms of how I ordered it?

They used the term "downsizing" but point taken lol.

Thank you for the input. If I take out BI, do you think the rest of my list looks okay in terms of how I ordered it?
Yeah...downsizing. Just like St. V's did many years back. Know any other 50 bed hospitals that support a robust IM residency program? Me neither.

The rest of you list looks fine.

Hello everyone. I am a Non-US Need Visa IMG interested in Hem-Onc fellowship.

Goal: Hem-Onc fellowship and opportunity for research, and prefer big cities.

These are a preliminary ranking of the programs I got.
1. Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh
2. Jacobi
3. UCSF-fresno
4. UCF/HCA orlando
5. Roger William Medical Center, Providence
6. St Banabas, Livingston, NJ
7. St Mary, Waterbury, Yale
8. SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital, St. Louis
9. Seton Hall University Saint Francis, Trenton, NJ
10. Lincohn Medical Center, NYC

Please help me rank those programs. Thank you very much!

In no particular order, but leaning towards UPMC first. Wondering about UC Davis and BU having medical/path complexity: does it all go to MGH/BW and UCSF/Stanford, respectively? Hoping to do Primary Care at an academic center somewhere that sets me up well to as an attending right out of residency. Enjoy mountains and nature with decent QoL, but not afraid of tough/busy/demanding residency esp intern year.

UPMC (GH, Cat)
UC Davis (PC, Cat)
Emory (PC, Cat)
Boston U (PC, Cat)
U Michigan
UCSD
Yale (Trad)
Yale (PC)
OHSU
U Wisconsin (PC, Cat)
Utah

In no particular order, but leaning towards UPMC first. Wondering about UC Davis and BU having medical/path complexity: does it all go to MGH/BW and UCSF/Stanford, respectively? Hoping to do Primary Care at an academic center somewhere that sets me up well to as an attending right out of residency. Enjoy mountains and nature with decent QoL, but not afraid of tough/busy/demanding residency esp intern year.

UPMC (GH, Cat)
UC Davis (PC, Cat)
Emory (PC, Cat)
Boston U (PC, Cat)
U Michigan
UCSD
Yale (Trad)
Yale (PC)
OHSU
U Wisconsin (PC, Cat)
Utah
Put them in order. Random order is useless.

UPMC (GH, Cat)
UC Davis (PC, Cat)
Emory (PC, Cat)
Boston U (PC, Cat)
U Michigan
UCSD
Yale (Trad)
Yale (PC)
OHSU
U Wisconsin (PC, Cat)
Utah

If your goal is to do Primary Care, then you are set coming from anyone of those places. Getting an academic job in primary care and/or hospitalist medicine is not hard if you come from a top 50 residency, which all of those are. You would get good training at any of them. If you want to keep your doors open for fellowship, I personally think Michigan, Emory or UPMC are the best on there, but honestly, they are all good programs where you would get good training. I think the secondary factors (location, climate, lifestyle) matter more with your list.

Hello everyone! I'd be grateful for anyone to take a look at my rank list. I'm a US grad with a preference to stay near NYC, but I might consider leaving if there is a compelling reason. I am interested in a Rheumatology fellowship

Is there that great of a different in terms of academics or training between these programs? I am thinking about practicing in NYC in the end, but would there be an advantage to leave in order to have better ancillary services and being exposed to different things (I trained in an inner city hospital)?

1. NSLIJ - Close to family and I got along well with the residents. I just wish it was more academic and got a better EMR. The Rheum fellowship seems more academic at least

2. Stony Brook- Farther from family. I know people there and am familiar with the area. Liked the people/academics

3. Rutgers RWJ- Really liked the people/academics/environment. I don't know anyone in the area though. Rent is surprisingly expensive

4. University of Vermont- Liked the people and academics. Very different patient population that what I'm used to. I can see myself enjoying Burlington though

5. Penn State- Was pleasantly surprised by the hospital and how everyone seems happy. The academics/facilities are solid. The location however prevented me from ranking this program higher

6. Rutgers NJMS- Close to family. In the rough side in terms of facilities. The academics seemed decent. They just started a Rheum fellowship last year. I've been told by others to rank the previous programs above this one. Perhaps that's unfairly influencing my perception of this program and that this need to be higher up?

Hello everyone! I'd be grateful for anyone to take a look at my rank list. I'm a US grad with a preference to stay near NYC, but I might consider leaving if there is a compelling reason. I am interested in a Rheumatology fellowship

Is there that great of a different in terms of academics or training between these programs? I am thinking about practicing in NYC in the end, but would there be an advantage to leave in order to have better ancillary services and being exposed to different things (I trained in an inner city hospital)?

1. NSLIJ - Close to family and I got along well with the residents. I just wish it was more academic and got a better EMR. The Rheum fellowship seems more academic at least

2. Stony Brook- Farther from family. I know people there and am familiar with the area. Liked the people/academics

3. Rutgers RWJ- Really liked the people/academics/environment. I don't know anyone in the area though. Rent is surprisingly expensive

4. University of Vermont- Liked the people and academics. Very different patient population that what I'm used to. I can see myself enjoying Burlington though

5. Penn State- Was pleasantly surprised by the hospital and how everyone seems happy. The academics/facilities are solid. The location however prevented me from ranking this program higher

6. Rutgers NJMS- Close to family. In the rough side in terms of facilities. The academics seemed decent. They just started a Rheum fellowship last year. I've been told by others to rank the previous programs above this one. Perhaps that's unfairly influencing my perception of this program and that this need to be higher up?

This seems reasonable. You know you can always move somewhere else and come back to NYC right? It’s three years and the furthest program on that list is UVM and Hershey - the latter which is like maximum 2 hours away

Hello everyone. I am a Non-US Need Visa IMG interested in Hem-Onc fellowship.

Goal: Hem-Onc fellowship and opportunity for research, and prefer big cities.

These are a preliminary ranking of the programs I got.
1. Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh
2. Jacobi
3. UCSF-fresno
4. UCF/HCA orlando
5. Roger William Medical Center, Providence
6. St Banabas, Livingston, NJ
7. St Mary, Waterbury, Yale
8. SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital, St. Louis
9. Seton Hall University Saint Francis, Trenton, NJ
10. Lincohn Medical Center, NYC

Please help me rank those programs. Thank you very much!

This seems reasonable but I know nothing about the NJ community programs other than anecdotally about the hospitals

Really going back and forth on my ROL now... particularly the middle. I would like to be in the West to be closer to family now that my sister is pregnant, but I'm afraid the IVs I got in the West are less prestigious and won't open as many doors as the others farther away (interested in academic medicine, 90% sure I want to do GI). So far:

1. UC San Diego
2. Vanderbilt
3. U Chicago
4. Icahn/Mount Sinai
5. Cedars-Sinai
6. Baylor
7. UC Irvine
8. Utah
9. NYU Tisch-Kimmel
10. NYU Trad

I loved UCSD and have no issue ranking it 1 even though I like the programs at Vandy and UChicago slightly better (that X+Y scheduling... hrrghhh). But I'm struggling with where to place Cedars the most, to be honest. I get the impression it is a lower-mid tier IM residency and you'll always be second banana to UCLA, plus the impression I got that many patients aren't even seen/touched by residents due to the high number of private physicians affiliated with Cedars. But I'd also really like to be in LA, at least, more than NYC or Houston. And while I liked the people at UC Irvine, and I thought the program coordinator and program director were awesome, I felt strange vibes from the residents (although they were all exceptionally nice, I ended up getting the impression that it is much more of a workhorse program than the others on my list). Utah I also really enjoyed (TBH, I liked all of the places I ended up interviewing at, so I guess that's a good thing), although I worry what life would be like as a gay man in SLC.

I suppose I'm just really hoping I get my top choice at this point... but you never know.

Really going back and forth on my ROL now... particularly the middle. I would like to be in the West to be closer to family now that my sister is pregnant, but I'm afraid the IVs I got in the West are less prestigious and won't open as many doors as the others farther away (interested in academic medicine, 90% sure I want to do GI). So far:

1. UC San Diego
2. Vanderbilt
3. U Chicago
4. Icahn/Mount Sinai
5. Cedars-Sinai
6. Baylor
7. UC Irvine
8. Utah
9. NYU Tisch-Kimmel
10. NYU Trad

I loved UCSD and have no issue ranking it 1 even though I like the programs at Vandy and UChicago slightly better (that X+Y scheduling... hrrghhh). But I'm struggling with where to place Cedars the most, to be honest. I get the impression it is a lower-mid tier IM residency and you'll always be second banana to UCLA, plus the impression I got that many patients aren't even seen/touched by residents due to the high number of private physicians affiliated with Cedars. But I'd also really like to be in LA, at least, more than NYC or Houston. And while I liked the people at UC Irvine, and I thought the program coordinator and program director were awesome, I felt strange vibes from the residents (although they were all exceptionally nice, I ended up getting the impression that it is much more of a workhorse program than the others on my list). Utah I also really enjoyed (TBH, I liked all of the places I ended up interviewing at, so I guess that's a good thing), although I worry what life would be like as a gay man in SLC.

I suppose I'm just really hoping I get my top choice at this point... but you never know.

First off, you got an excellent list and are going to be just fine. Second, I would not use the fact that a program has an X+Y scheduling as a significant factor in your rank list. I can tell you that it doesn't make a huge difference in your residency experience, and there are so many more important factors to consider. If you want to do GI, Vanderbilt and UChicago are the best on your list. I interviewed at both these places for GI and they are incredible. U Chicago does a very impressive job in matching people into awesome GI fellowships, probably due to their strong GI research, especially in IBD. Vanderbilt is similar. If you go to one of these places, you are pretty guaranteed to match GI at a good spot. These programs are better than UCSD, but if your goal is to be on the west coast and you want to do fellowship on the west coast, its still a good option. I think your opinion of Cedars is correct, but that doesn't mean you wont get good training there. UC Irvine has a very underrated GI program, especially in terms of advanced endoscopy and interventional GI. Utah is also a strong program in placing residents into GI fellowships. I am focusing on your programs fellowship potential simply because your medicine training will be fine at any of these places, you have an excellent list to choose from. You have a great problem, you are going to be just fine.

This seems reasonable but I know nothing about the NJ community programs other than anecdotally about the hospitals
Thank you for your reply. Can you also give me some advice regarding whether Allegheny or Jacobi is better for future Hemonc fellowship application please?