Official 2018 Rank Order Lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is getting to be a little far from the scope of topic of the OP. You felt it was harsh. Thats okay. Time to move on.

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t care where I end up on my ROL as long as I don’t end up with Batman’s underwear. Cheers everyone

Reactions: 1 user
For clarification,
1st-8th: So happy and thankful
9th-12th: thankful

I think it was this Wednesday that I saw my classmate who had far better score and far better person for sure. That individual did not match into psychiatry.
I was heartbroken not only by the fact that the individual did no match but also by randomness in our world that could make good people suffer and bad(?) people happy.
While I was trying my best to comfort the individual, I asked a question to myself whether I would be willing to give up my categorical position to that individual if it is possible.
Shamefully, rightfully and honestly, my answer was no.

I truly felted like I dodged the bullet coming straight to my head this Monday, and I have to admit that I might have been too happy to post something on public that could be seen inconsiderate. If I were to read my post again in different shoes other than the ones that I am currently one, I would have left the same comment or if not harsher one.

My sincerely apologies:cryi:

Dude, enjoy your match day. Don’t feed the sdn trolls. We’d all be happier if we ended up at our #1 than our #10 or we wouldn’t have ranked them that way.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am super grateful I found a position in the SOAP and still sad and disappointed I did not match to psych. I'm going to show up and work hard and try to be the best doctor I can be regardless. That isn't to say I'm excited or thrilled. Sometimes I am excited...others I'm devastated...sometimes even both at the same time. There is room for all of those feelings and plenty of room to feel grateful about matching and a little disappointed about not matching to the place you loved. That has nothing to do with entitlement and nothing to do with how eager you will be or how hard you will work. A friend of mine matched to the last place on her list, was super upset, and yet went there, worked super hard, and ended up loving the place. Some people try to box emotions into black and white but there is a lot of gray in this process and feeling things over the next few weeks or whatever about where you end up does not equate to attitude and actions when you show up for your first day. It's a huge step in this process with lots of implications on your professional and personal life. You'll have many feelings...feel them, express them when you need to and know most people are going through the same thing no matter where they end up.

Reactions: 5 users
Just wanted to pop in here and wish everyone the best and ask that we all be gentle with one another. This is an emotional week for many reasons. No matter what your match status today, know that you have made it so far and you are amazing. You should be truly proud of yourselves.

Last year, I found out that I matched to a program that was not my top choice and I was pretty devastated. I actually cried about it for a few days. Understand that, yes, you are incredibly fortunate to have matched, but you ARE also entitled to your feelings about the outcome of the match (which may be quite complicated) and THAT IS OKAY. We are humans — we have preferences and life situations that complicate a process where we do not get to fully choose where we spend the next several years of our lives.

Do not allow yourself to be shamed about this and do not shame anyone else — maybe you didn’t match and had to SOAP, maybe you were fortunate and got a position in SOAP, maybe you did not get a position in SOAP, maybe you are thrilled with where you matched, or maybe you are disappointed with your match. You are allowed to feel whatever you are feeling, and I hope you have people supporting you that you can discuss these feelings with.

Please lift those around you up. I am now half way finished with my first year (at the program that made me cry when I opened my envelope) and now I can’t even imagine wanting to match somewhere else. I am so fortunate to with work with such amazing people. Somehow “it all works out”. I can’t wait to find out who’s joining my program next year!

Take a deep breath and open your mind. The journey will surprise you. PM me if you want to talk.

Reactions: 6 users
Just wanted to pop in here and wish everyone the best and ask that we all be gentle with one another. This is an emotional week for many reasons. No matter what your match status today, know that you have made it so far and you are amazing. You should be truly proud of yourselves.

Last year, I found out that I matched to a program that was not my top choice and I was pretty devastated. I actually cried about it for a few days. Understand that, yes, you are incredibly fortunate to have matched, but you ARE also entitled to your feelings about the outcome of the match (which may be quite complicated) and THAT IS OKAY. We are humans — we have preferences and life situations that complicate a process where we do not get to fully choose where we spend the next several years of our lives.

Do not allow yourself to be shamed about this and do not shame anyone else — maybe you didn’t match and had to SOAP, maybe you were fortunate and got a position in SOAP, maybe you did not get a position in SOAP, maybe you are thrilled with where you matched, or maybe you are disappointed with your match. You are allowed to feel whatever you are feeling, and I hope you have people supporting you that you can discuss these feelings with.

Please lift those around you up. I am now half way finished with my first year (at the program that made me cry when I opened my envelope) and now I can’t even imagine wanting to match somewhere else. I am so fortunate to with work with such amazing people. Somehow “it all works out”. I can’t wait to find out who’s joining my program next year!

Take a deep breath and open your mind. The journey will surprise you. PM me if you want to talk.

Clearly you are a good psychiatrist. Thanks for the awesome post. Couldn’t agree more!

Oh, I see, they get to see R3 and we get the results by rank list in 45 minutes.

You should take a hard look at the schedule of the double/ triple board residencies. Also ask about the vacation time etc specifically. Some programs such as UPMC will say that you have 4 weeks vacation time, but they will not build in the schedule, so you can never take it. It's because you fall through the cracks between the two residencies. You may have to work 3 weeks non-stop wih one day off to go 3 weeks non-stop. I don't know about other places, but based on the UPMC triple board, I can say it is torturous to work that.
One other thing to look for - if the program has built a balance between the hard and easy rotations - that gives you time to do the laundry and get groceries. Some of the combined programs (again my experience is at Pittsburgh triple board) may not be designed to give any breather. It may be perfectly okay to have such schedule - it's just that you should know before ranking what you are getting into.

Reactions: 1 user
You should take a hard look at the schedule of the double/ triple board residencies. Also ask about the vacation time etc specifically. Some programs such as UPMC will say that you have 4 weeks vacation time, but they will not build in the schedule, so you can never take it. It's because you fall through the cracks between the two residencies. You may have to work 3 weeks non-stop with one day off to go 3 weeks non-stop. I don't know about other places, but based on the UPMC triple board, I can say it is torturous to work that.
One other thing to look for - if the program has built a balance between the hard and easy rotations - that gives you time to do the laundry and get groceries. Some of the combined programs (again my experience is at Pittsburgh triple board) may not be designed to give any breather. It may be perfectly okay to have such schedule - it's just that you should know before ranking what you are getting into.

You should take a hard look at the schedule of the double/ triple board residencies. Also ask about the vacation time etc specifically. Some programs such as UPMC will say that you have 4 weeks vacation time, but they will not build in the schedule, so you can never take it. It's because you fall through the cracks between the two residencies. You may have to work 3 weeks non-stop with one day off to go 3 weeks non-stop. I don't know about other places, but based on the UPMC triple board, I can say it is torturous to work that.

I'm a little puzzled, you guys rotate on the 9th floor. How is being able to leave the building by noon not a breather?