Official 2018 Rank Order Lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Best of luck everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Time for Batman to change his underwear.
Congratulations.

Reactions: 11 users
MATCHED!! omg it feels so good to be able to type that!

Reactions: 6 users
Matched

Hello, fellow psychiatrists :)

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Gonna be a psychiatrist! Best of luck to those SOAPing, we're pulling hard for you!

Reactions: 9 users
Programs include filling with SOAP as filling in the match. Applicants should too. Getting in is getting in, no one will ask or care how. Good luck everyone.

Reactions: 3 users
Programs include filling with SOAP as filling in the match. Applicants should too. Getting in is getting in, no one will ask or care how. Good luck everyone.
Yep, nobody (other than people helping you SOAP) will have to know on the Match Day.

Last edited:
What we can talk about are the regional statistics by specialty.
Psychiatry had 260 spots in the West and all filled. 320 Central and all filled, 463 in the South and 13 unfilled, 513 in the North East and 3 went unfilled
Total were 1556 spots with 16 unfilled. (1%)

Of note,
Family Medicine had 119 unfilled of 3629 (3.3%)
Internal Medicine had 302 unfilled of 9799 or 3.1%
Peds had 66 unfilled out of 2877 for 2.3%
General Surgery 480 of 2682 for 17.9%

I didn't match. 225/239 DO passed CS, no obvious red flags I can think of. Can anybody help please.

I didn't match. 225/239 DO passed CS, no obvious red flags I can think of. Can anybody help please.

I am just a fellow applicant with nothing to do today but can try to help.

PM me if you need, even to vent. Priority #1 should be submitting for the SOAP before 3 EST today

Edit: there is a more active SOAP thread on reddit may be good for general SOAP advice but remember not to share info on the available programs.

Advice from my school to all of us: use all of your interviews first round. If you'd only be happy in psych (it's ok if you wouldn't be!) I'd apply to those 16 psych programs and possibly.. prelim medicine? I've known people to match into PGY-1 psych from prelims and they get electives during their IM months. Unless prelim spots are competitive I am not sure (someone chime in if I'm wrong?)

Last edited:
What we can talk about are the regional statistics by specialty.
Psychiatry had 260 spots in the West and all filled. 320 Central and all filled, 463 in the South and 13 unfilled, 513 in the North East and 3 went unfilled
Total were 1556 spots with 16 unfilled. (1%)

Of note,
Family Medicine had 119 unfilled of 3629 (3.3%)
Internal Medicine had 302 unfilled of 9799 or 3.1%
Peds had 66 unfilled out of 2877 for 2.3%
General Surgery 480 of 2682 for 17.9%

Well, 16 spots is better than last year’s 3....

Reactions: 1 users
So...are my program reviews a possible reason why I am SOAPing? I didn't think any were very negative. I really can't figure out why I didn't match otherwise. And to think I canceled an interview this year.

Unlikely to be program reviews. I met exactly one person affiliated with a program I was applying to along the interview trail last year who seemed even aware of SDN, much less especially cared. I think I did interview with someone who used to be a regular around here but has been inactive for a while, though. Regardless, if you did not get ranked high enough it almost certainly did not come down to leaving reviews programs didn't like.

There are 70 transitional year spots unfilled. You could get back into psych as a PGY-II.

Matched. Thankfully. Best of luck to those of you who are SOAPing.

My administration did not inform me this was a good path to take. I figured if I didn't match this year, why would I be any more competitive next year? Anyway, I listened to them. Applied to the remaining psychiatry, neurology, & family medicine programs.

I applied to all remaining psych, some IM, some prelim IM, and some FM. used up all 45 of my spots. I'm now terrified and petrified. Haven't heard anything from anybody yet. I'm freaking scared. I don't know what's wrong with me that made me not match. I wish I knew

A year of medicine would make you more competitive than you are now.

Reactions: 2 users
When do program directors find out who they matched? Is it early in the day on Thursday?

Well f*ck me sideways.

No, you got this. This is your comeback story.

The SOAP seems like a s'storm you made your best judgement with the limited time you had. It may have been the right one, we don't know.

And if you match into FM I know people who have reapplied successfully into psych from FM. I think there are multiple pathways if psych is what is right for you. There are also options post-soap. My school will provide internal prelims for those who do not match. I won't pretend like this is ideal for you, but you've made it through med school and you'll make it through this and come out a psychiatrist if that's you're dream.

Reactions: 7 users
Congratulations to everyone who matched, good luck on Friday!

Sorry to everyone who didn't get good news today, best of luck during the next few days. We'll all be rooting for you.

I’m not sure, but there will be spots because of the new program opening in Florida. Good luck

I believe the Broadlawns program in Iowa is also going to have positions available post-SOAP, as I received an e-mail saying they were trying to start their first residency class this year and would be looking to accept DOs and IMGs (as they are able to accept positions outside the match). Their info is available on Freida. I'd also be happy to forward it if people are interested.

So...are my program reviews a possible reason why I am SOAPing? I didn't think any were very negative. I really can't figure out why I didn't match otherwise. And to think I canceled an interview this year.

Check your social media and make things as private as possible/make sure there's nothing that looks bad or is political there. At this point I don't think you can really do much more other than possibly writing up a new personal statement tomorrow morning, really hope everything works out for you.

can't imagine it's related to reviews. did you interview at your home program? try reaching out to the PD. explain what happened and ask for some honest feedback. actually I'd suggest doing that for a few programs to get input from different perspectives. good luck & keep strong.

If it comes down to it on Wednesday & I'm only offered family medicine programs (I've used all 45 apps), do I suck it up & just take it? I have 1 psych interview & had 1 neuro last night, otherwise all family medicine.
idk man, that's a hard call for someone to make for someone else. personally I'd probably take it, as long as the program seemed decent. I'd go into it giving it an honest shot but keeping the possibility of applying to psych for pgy-2 if it turns out I hated it. or possibly stay the course if it turned out I liked it. I've run into several psych programs that have pgy-2 spots but have no idea where a full list is at.

If it comes down to it on Wednesday & I'm only offered family medicine programs (I've used all 45 apps), do I suck it up & just take it? I have 1 psych interview & had 1 neuro last night, otherwise all family medicine.

Family medicine appears to be your safest statistical option. If choosing whether or not to match, I think you have to go with match, to anything! You might even find you enjoy FM. If not, it’s easier to get in somewhere after a year of residency than getting in with a failed match and a year out of medical school. I say go for it and don’t look back.

I'd take whatever you can get. As terrible as this may feel today, being an intern is going to be a hell of a lot better than being a med student regardless of where you end up.

I only applied to psych SOAP positions since all my CV, PS and LoRs are psych-specific. Did you guys write separate PS and had letters to apply other specialties?

I think just being in SOAP probably forgives any appearance of changing specialties. Not matching is a fairly solid reason for doing this and unfilled programs are also feeling a little beaten up and forgiving. Best of luck everyone.

I think just being in SOAP probably forgives any appearance of changing specialties. Not matching is a fairly solid reason for doing this and unfilled programs are also feeling a little beaten up and forgiving. Best of luck everyone.
Can I apply without Personal Statement?

Doubt that, but you could be honest and say that unfortunately your plans have been changed for you and that you fully embrace radical acceptance of the situation and are ready to excel at X.

I luckily had a neurology letter that I had prepared prior to interview season. I had friends tweak my psych/neuro letters to make a pretty good family medicine letter while I was desperately/randomly choosing programs. I'd bet it's not a huge deal though.

I can't send you a PM, can you send one to me?

I would agree with this thought. PDs, who did not fill, are going to be more concerned with filling; so if it is something related -- IM, FM, transitional, peds, neuro - I would think that it will not be a critical issue. A surgery PD might give is much more pause.

I would agree with this thought. PDs, who did not fill, are going to be more concerned with filling; so if it is something related -- IM, FM, transitional, peds, neuro - I would think that it will not be a critical issue. A surgery PD might give is much more pause.
Then I literally did everything I could for this match season. Thanks everyone for the valuable recommendations!

Last edited:
I'm thinking if I don't SOAP of deferring graduation and trying to do research psychiatrically related as well as community service stuff more psychiatrically related. I really want to do psychiatry and just... helping people remove obstacles from their life is something that brings me great joy. Can somebody provide insight on this? As well as how to contact people for research? I already sent one email out but am too scared to send another out in case somebody perceives it as a match violation

I am also wondering about trying to find a research year or something instead of doing a random intern year. My experience was kind of fluky though and I explain it more in a few of the top threads on here now.
I think the consensus here has been to advice those who didn’t match to pursue the soap as it would make one more competitive for next cycle. I think in general, I think would be better than doing research/taking a year off.

Read the last two pages of this thread.

I only applied to psych SOAP positions since all my CV, PS and LoRs are psych-specific. Did you guys write separate PS and had letters to apply other specialties?
Per the PDs for IM and TY programs at my school, and an IM PD I know at another program using your psych PS and just adding a bit explaining how a year of medicine will benefit you as a future psychiatrist is good enough (for prelim IM spots anyway). Best of luck!

Well f*ck me sideways.

If it's any consolation, I think you made the right decision. While there may be a good chance you match into a PGY-2 spot for Psych, theres no guarantee and no solid backup plan in doing a transitional year if things don't end up well. While doing FM/peds/IM/etc may not be ideal, your ultimate goal is to become a board certified physician so you have a stable job and a plan to pay off your loans. You can always apply to psych after your intern year or even later. It might be a longer road, but if you want to be a Psychiatrist one day, it will happen.

EDIT: Also, alot of transitional programs don't have a lot of support and work residents really hard. There are exceptions tho--esp at your home program where there are administration that are willing to go the extra mile to help an alumni match.

Last edited:
I have a question. I have been thinking the reason why I didn't match. I am an FMG, Yog 2015, 235 Step1, 241 CK, Passed Cs, all in the first attempt. Red flag: Have a year of the gap. Three strong LoRs from US psychiatrists, two of them very reputable psychiatrists. I did some research and volunteer activities in psych. Psych specific CV, letters, good Personal Statement. I had seven interviews; some from upper/mid-tier residency programs. I also needed a visa which I thought might hurt me.

I did mock interviews with psychiatrists beforehand. None of my interviews felt bad. Had good feedbacks afterward. I don't know what I did wrong. Did I blow all my interviews? Can we say it is more likely caused because of bad interviewing skills?