**Official 2020 Ortho PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BRush49

Reaction score
Hey ortho enthusiasts,

I haven’t seen a thread for this application cycle. I’m not sure how it all works but I’m okay if this becomes that thread. Either way, I have a few questions that I haven’t been able to sniff out answers for yet. Let me know what you think.

I’ve seen a few comments regarding match programs not wanting applicants to apply to non-match programs. I personally spoke to someone at UCLA who said they didn’t care where else we apply, but I know that’s not the case everywhere. Does anyone know what program are NOT okay with us spreading our net to the non-match programs?

This may be a dumb question, but do you need to acquire a dental license for the state of whatever program you end up attending? I am in the Air Force and thus it never mattered where my license was from. (I have a Utah license because it was cheap and easy).

From your experience, do many programs care what dental associations you are a part of? Is it a bad thing if I let me ADA membership lapse? Is it silly for me to become an AAO member just to put it on my CV for this application?

I’m sure I’ll have more questions to add if this thread picks up. Just wanted to get the ball rolling. Good luck to everyone applying along with me!

Members don't see this ad.

The website IgniteDDS has a short residency guide in ortho programs, I believe that it has info on which programs only accept applicants that only apply to MATCH schools.

Generally, I don’t think programs require you to get a full license (unless you plan to moonlight, if it’s allowed by the program). They might ask you to get a limited license for that state. You have to check with each individual program on that info. Feel free for others to chime in.

Programs don’t care at all about which associations you are a part of.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My question is why would you want to apply to non-match programs?
Honestly, just keeping my options open at this point. Haven't finalized my list of programs to apply to. That will happen soon though. Sounds like you think non-match is a bad idea overall?

I personally spoke to someone at UCLA who said they didn’t care where else we apply, but I know that’s not the case everywhere. Does anyone know what program are NOT okay with us spreading our net to the non-match programs?

This may be a dumb question, but do you need to acquire a dental license for the state of whatever program you end up attending? I am in the Air Force and thus it never mattered where my license was from. (I have a Utah license because it was cheap and easy).

From your experience, do many programs care what dental associations you are a part of? Is it a bad thing if I let me ADA membership lapse? Is it silly for me to become an AAO member just to put it on my CV for this application?

UCLA is non-match, so of course they do not care where you apply. I remember Harvard, UIC, and VCU (all match programs) requesting a contractual agreement stating that you weren't applying to any non-match schools when I was applying a few years ago. My program required at least a limited license in the state of the school, but you'll need a full license if you moonlight as a GP. No schools ever mentioned associations; I don't think it matters.

Reactions: 1 user
UCLA is non-match, so of course they do not care where you apply. I remember Harvard, UIC, and VCU (all match programs) requesting a contractual agreement stating that you weren't applying to any non-match schools when I was applying a few years ago. My program required at least a limited license in the state of the school, but you'll need a full license if you moonlight as a GP. No schools ever mentioned associations; I don't think it matters.
So I think UCLA actually joined the match this year. And the AAO website says that Harvard is a non-match program?? Where did you end up going? (if you don't mind me asking)

So I think UCLA actually joined the match this year. And the AAO website says that Harvard is a non-match program?? Where did you end up going? (if you don't mind me asking)

Oh, it's good they've finally got on board. Harvard is still a match program to my knowledge. No offense, but I don't think my program is relevant to the topic, but it is a match program.

Does Harvard still make you bend wires?

I did not interview at Harvard as I applied to a few non-match programs as well and did not sign their contract. My friends who interviewed did have to bend wires though.

Last edited:
I remember a book I used when applying to dental school that broke down statistics for the many different programs including average GPA, DAT scores, bachelor's degree requirement, etc. for the students they accepted. Does anything like that exist for ortho programs? If not, does anyone out there have any personal knowledge about the following:

Which programs prefer applicants straight out of dental school vs. those with a few years of experience?

What programs (if any) look favorably on applicants who served in the military?

Which programs weight research heavily when looking at applicants? Which don't?

Let me know what you think.

Hey ortho enthusiasts,

I haven’t seen a thread for this application cycle. I’m not sure how it all works but I’m okay if this becomes that thread. Either way, I have a few questions that I haven’t been able to sniff out answers for yet. Let me know what you think.

I’ve seen a few comments regarding match programs not wanting applicants to apply to non-match programs. I personally spoke to someone at UCLA who said they didn’t care where else we apply, but I know that’s not the case everywhere. Does anyone know what program are NOT okay with us spreading our net to the non-match programs?

I’m sure I’ll have more questions to add if this thread picks up. Just wanted to get the ball rolling. Good luck to everyone applying along with me!
I remember a book I used when applying to dental school that broke down statistics for the many different programs including average GPA, DAT scores, bachelor's degree requirement, etc. for the students they accepted. Does anything like that exist for ortho programs? If not, does anyone out there have any personal knowledge about the following:

Which programs prefer applicants straight out of dental school vs. those with a few years of experience?

What programs (if any) look favorably on applicants who served in the military?

Which programs weight research heavily when looking at applicants? Which don't?

Let me know what you think.
Most programs I think prefer applicants straight out of school. To my knowledge, I’ve heard the hospital programs and Jacksonville appreciate applicants with experience.

Pretty much all programs have a research component in their curriculum so pretty much all look favorably on research. The programs that offer an MS degree prob look more heavily on that.

Hi all! I'm applying for the 2021 cycle, but I had a question on the importance of externships. I will be on vacation in the area of a program, but due to travel constraints, I could only extern there a half day. This program is one top of my list. Are there any cons to going in for a half day? Thank you all!

Does anyone know which schools REQUIRE the ADAT?
Please and thank you.
I haven’t found an [accurate] exhaustive list, but I have found that searching the programs through the PASS search engine is helpful to find out these details. Here is that website:

Hi everyone
Do you know which programs does NOT require NBDE?

Also, what do you think of CTOR Academy program?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, what do you think of CTOR Academy program?
It can’t be good when one of their application requirements states, “To meet the financial requirement, you may provide an official bank statement/letter showing sufficient funding for at least one year's total cost. Only liquid accounts (such as savings, checking) can be used as proof; non-liquid funding (such as stocks, bonds, other investments) can not be used as proof of financial funds.” Looks an awful lot like a money laundering operation.

Big Hoss

And they aren’t even listed as an accredited program on the AAO website... but I bet they still will get applicants

Hey guys
Did anyone hear back from BU regarding payment of supplemental application fees?
I got an email that they are struggling with the system and will be in touch hopefully by the end of June with the supplemental and the link for the app fee, but I haven't heard back from them yet.

Anyone have a list of schools that are won't interview us if we do non-match schools? Also is that really a thing....leveraging applicants against the non-match schools?
So far I got Kentucky, Indiana, Chicago, Louisiana....
The PASS search engine I posted above is pretty good for finding that out for most schools.

Hi everyone ! Just stopping in to say good luck and stay positive as we approach our first deadline :)

Hi everyone,

Did anyone apply to Jacksonville University? I'm trying go submit my online payment but the link they provided is not working
Also I don't know to what email we should send our NBDE score report to!
I tried contacting them by email and they haven't responded

Hi everyone,

Did anyone apply to Jacksonville University? I'm trying go submit my online payment but the link they provided is not working
Also I don't know to what email we should send our NBDE score report to!
I tried contacting them by email and they haven't responded
have you tried moving on to the next step in the flow chart and calling the school?

Does anyone know how long it takes for mailed GRE scores to be received. I put the request in with the correct code July 10th but my school is still reporting they have not received the proper documents.

Does anyone know how long it takes for mailed GRE scores to be received. I put the request in with the correct code July 10th but my school is still reporting they have not received the proper documents.
I spoke to a customer service agent from ETS, and was told delivery time is 5 business days if the school is set up to receive them electronically. Else, 10-15 business days if they can only receive paper copies. There is no tracking available for the paper or electronic reports, the only way to confirm is to check with the recipient.

I spoke to a customer service agent from ETS, and was told delivery time is 5 business days if the school is set up to receive them electronically. Else, 10-15 business days if they can only receive paper copies. There is no tracking available for the paper or electronic reports, the only way to confirm is to check with the recipient.
thank you so much !

Just got done reading last year’s thread and decided there needs to be an official thread for this year so we can start hearing about interview invites etc. Let me know if there is some protocol for making it the official thread.

Does anyone have a list of programs that don't require the GRE for admission?

Has anyone been contacted for an interview yet? I would be curious to hear when people do. I imagine the first calls should be coming out soon, base on previous threads. Good luck to everyone!

From what I've gathered from previous threads, the bulk of the interviews start coming out in early september? Definitely getting antsy myself haha

Has anyone been contacted for an interview yet? I would be curious to hear when people do. I imagine the first calls should be coming out soon, base on previous threads. Good luck to everyone!

I received an invite from Iowa yesterday and the interview date is 10/4 with a social the night before

are you a traditional applicant meaning applied straight from dental school?

btw congrats to the above two on the invite. i know iowa is one of the most competitive ortho programs out there

Thanks! I am a traditional applicant I’m a D4 right now. I submitted my app In mid-July.

Congratulations. How were you contacted from Iowa?

Email

1. 8/15 University of Iowa (email) 10/4 with social the night before
2. 8/20 Loma Linda University (phone) 10/7 or 10/8 no social

1. 8/15 University of Iowa (email) 10/4 with social the night before
2. 8/20 Loma Linda University (phone) 10/7 or 10/8 no social
3. 8/22 University of British Colombia (email) 11/2 with social the night before

Reactions: 2 users
1. 7/26 Oklahoma (phone) 10/25 or 11/1 with social the night before
2. 8/15 University of Iowa (email) 10/4 with social the night before
3. 8/20 Loma Linda University (phone) 10/7 or 10/8 no social
4. 8/22 University of British Colombia (email) 11/2 with social the night before

Reactions: 2 users
2. 8/15 University of Iowa (email) 10/4 with social the night before
4. 8/22 University of British Colombia (email) 11/2 with social the night before
5. 8/26 Tufts University School of Dental Medicine (email) 9/24 with social the night before

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone!

Is anyone interviewing at Iowa interested in switching dates? I was offered an interview 10/24-10/25 but would like to switch to 10/3-10/4 or any other dates offered! Please message me if so :)

Thank you so much!

On the ADEA pass check status tab, do you guys just have 1 standardized test that was received (NBDE) and then the GRE is self-reported correct? Or obviously for individual schools that want it we sent it, but there wasn't an official score sending process to ADEA PASS right? Thanks.

On the ADEA pass check status tab, do you guys just have 1 standardized test that was received (NBDE) and then the GRE is self-reported correct? Or obviously for individual schools that want it we sent it, but there wasn't an official score sending process to ADEA PASS right? Thanks.
That is correct. Just self-reported GRE through PASS and then officials sent to whoever requires them. NBDE is all I have in standardized tests on PASS.

Hey everybody, I'm also wondering if someone would be willing to switch me dates for the Iowa interview. I got invited for the 24th-25th of October and am really trying to switch to the 3rd-4th. Please message me or just reply to this comment if you are willing or able, or even if you know someone who is not on SDN who may be able to help. I would really appreciate it. Thank you for any help in advance! Best wishes!

Last edited:
That is correct. Just self-reported GRE through PASS and then officials sent to whoever requires them. NBDE is all I have in standardized tests on PASS.
Awesome thanks.

Hey guys! I got offered an interview at OU for 10/25 with a social the night before and if anyone would be willing to switch with me for the 11/1 date let me know! Thanks so much and best of luck to everyone.

Hey guys! I got offered an interview at OU for 10/25 with a social the night before and if anyone would be willing to switch with me for the 11/1 date let me know! Thanks so much and best of luck to everyone.

Hey! I have the same offer and am hoping to switch to the 11/1 interview as well! If there is anyone else willing to switch also that would be so incredible!

I also have an interview at Iowa 10/25 with a social the night before. Would anyone be willing to switch me for the 10/4 interview date? Thank you!! PM me asap and we can talk details!

Hey guys!
Did anyone ever get confirmation from Pitt or Rochester that their application was complete?
Or has anyone heard from them for interviews?

Hey guys!
Did anyone ever get confirmation from Pitt or Rochester that their application was complete?
Or has anyone heard from them for interviews?
I did get a confirmation from Rochester, but only once I prompted them ... no confirmation from Pitt. Haven’t heard of anyone else getting a confirmation from Pitt. Haven’t heard anything from either yet !

I did get a confirmation from Rochester, but only once I prompted them ... no confirmation from Pitt. Haven’t heard of anyone else getting a confirmation from Pitt. Haven’t heard anything from either yet !
Ok thank you! Did you call or email Rochester?

2. 8/15 University of Iowa (email) 10/4 with social the night before, 10/25 with social the night before
5. 8/26 Tufts University School of Dental Medicine (email) 9/24 with social the night before
6. 8/30 University of Illinois at Chicago (email) 10/03 or 10/10 with social the night before