D

deleted988806

Name of Ortho Program: Southern School
Dental School Attended: Southern School
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2020
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: No
International Student (yes/no): Yes (graduated from international dental school in 2014, currently enrolled in a CODA accredited DMD program)
NBDE Part I/II scores: Pass/Pass
TOEFL: 119/120
ADAT Score: 620 (95th Percentile) - Bio: 640, Cli: 600, DRI: 630
GRE Score: 169 verbal, 161 quant, 5 w
GPA/Class Rank: US: 3.93 overall, 2/~ 75
International: 3.89 (ECE), no rank but had honors for high scores in different subjects
Match/Non-Match: Applied exclusively to Match
Externship(s)/where: None
Research: Two posters presented in dental school (non-ortho), One dental publication in Compendium (non-ortho), Assisted in two orthodontic systematic reviews (not published), One presentation at an international conference (medical related, non-dental)
Extracurriculars: US dental school: Leadership in a few clubs, Student tutor, volunteering and the like, worked as dental assistant in a clinic on weekends.
International dental school:Class representative, volunteering, magazine editor
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 23/10/8/8

All the very best to everyone applying. I know it seems daunting but if I could make it, so can you. There were a good number of non traditional applicants that I met on the interview, who had worked a few years and then were applying to ortho- so I don’t believe programs in general prefer fresh / traditional graduates. As long as you work hard and show interest, you’ve got as strong a chance as anyone. As for the GRE and ADAT, my scores were brought up in three interviews- it doesn’t do any harm to do well in these, and while I don’t know what got me the interviews, I can’t say these extra exams didn’t help. DM me and I’ll my best to answer any questions you have. Hope this helps someone, I know previous posts like these really helped me!

hahaharhar

7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
Name of Ortho Program: West Coast
Dental School Attended: West Coast
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2020 DDS
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: NONE
International Student (yes/no): NO
NBDE Part I/II scores: PASS/TBD
ADAT Score: NONE
GRE Score: 162V/163Q/4W
Class Rank: 5/mid100s
Match/Non-Match: Match and 1 non-match
Externship(s)/where: NONE
Research: Undergrad experience with public health study and 2 clinical studies. Dental school research related to orthodontics. Poster presentation. No publications.
Extracurriculars: Lots of undergrad volunteer experience (medically-related). Lots of meaningful leadership in both undergrad and dental school. Created own club in dental school. 10+ years of work experience (part + full time). Honor society. Scholarships.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 17/6/1/0

Honestly, I found this application process relatively easier compared to applying to dental school. The GRE is very doable. The ADAT is a chance for you to stand out even more. Work closely with your clinical faculty for great letters of rec. I even finished my applications really late, almost the day before or day of. I was expecting to match when I had applied. But, my first interview was the only non-match school I had applied to. I chose to accept the non-match offer and ended up declining the following interviews. I chose to opt out of match because the freedom of choice was a big factor for me. Although the interview invites for the match schools were in great locations and had great programs, my priorities were location, family, and lifestyle and the non-match school just happened to satisfy those criteria. Congrats to everyone! Good luck to the rest!

About the Ads

e00z

10+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2008
Status
Name of Ortho Program: West coast
Dental School Attended: Midwest
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2017
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: GPR
International Student (yes/no): No
ADAT Score: 600 overall, 570 bio, 620 cli, 630 dri
GRE Score: 163V/164Q/5W
Class Rank: top 30%
Match/Non-Match: Applied to both
Research: Research in undergrad. 1 publication.
Extracurriculars: Lots of volunteer experience over the years
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 28/9/6/0

I’ve been out of school for 2 years, so you could say I’m a non-traditional applicant. Did 1 year GPR and 1 year private practice. Accepted a nonmatch position. Surprised by how many interviews I got. I’m proof that you don’t need to be in the top 10-20% to make it, so to all those in similar positions with ortho dreams, go for it.

I think what stood out in my application were my GRE scores and personal statement. Both were touched upon during interviews. In particular, I think personal statement is a huge chance for you to stand out among the crowd, and that’s really what it’s all about, having something in your application that makes it easy for the adcoms to give you a second look. I must have rewrote my essay two dozen times.

Make sure you prepare for the interviews like your life depends on it. I slacked on that aspect and crashed and burned on my first few, and it took a couple under my belt before I started feeling good coming out of the interview. One more tip for the interviews is that in general, be passionate about the activities that you pursue and care about, it will allow you to have material to talk about during the interview and allow you to really express yourself.

Lastly...keep faith in yourself. The whole process sucks. You’ll feel real down at points, but keep pushing. Keep working at it. Every mistake leads to growth and experience. With that attitude I guarantee you’ll get in too.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019
Status
Dental Student
Name of Ortho Program: Midwest
Dental School Attended: East Coast
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: None
ADAT Score: None
GRE Score: 168V/164Q/5W
Class Rank: 1 or 2/low 100s
Match/Non-Match: Exclusively match
Externship(s)/where: 4 northeast programs, 3 invited for interviews
Research: Health policy-related study in undergrad. Basic science, pathology case report, literature review, educational research in dental school. Poster presentations. No publications.
Extracurriculars: Non-traditional applicant - 4 years of work experience in different industry, full-time. 5 years tutoring part-time. Hospital-based undergrad volunteer experience. Some leadership experience in undergrad and a lot in dental school. Created own club, chaired/spear-headed school-wide activities, involved with an organization on national level.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 32/12/10/10

Coming from a relatively new dental school, I was told to apply to 30+ programs. The application process is expensive and requires good organization to keep track of all the required supplemental pieces. Start working on your CV and personal statement early. Try to avoid cliches, i.e. "my orthodontist changed my life and that's why I want to be an orthodontist" -- directors are tired of reading this, even if it's genuine. Find faculty who write well and can speak to your academic strengths, clinical skill, and personal qualities. Also cozy up to an orthodontics professor who can write one of your recs, because some programs require this. The GRE is like the SATs on steroids: recommend Manhattan Review 5lb book, Magoosh, and Crunchprep. I finished my applications, including supplementals, 2 weeks prior to first deadline.

For program selection, I used this thread for reference: Orthodontics Program Rankings. Make sure you know how many spots are in each program, tuition, and whether an MS is included. During the interview process, I tried to make it to all the socials even if I was late to them. Residents understand this can happen due to travel logistics, and appreciate the effort. For me, location was not a major criteria; program quality and value for the tuition were.

I prepared for each interview like it was a test. I kept files of all the information I could find on each program, including all resident bios/information. It helps you recognize them and remember their names. I even searched for mutual friends on Facebook, because this was a good conversation starter. Some programs give a lot of weight to how much the residents like/get along with you, while at others it is mostly the prerogative of the faculty admissions committee. As soon as they introduced themselves in the morning session, I found all the information I could on these faculty and mentioned their research interests and casually brought up any personal interests we had in common during interviews. I asked detailed questions about the clinical experience (variety/scope and number of cases started, transferred, finished), didactics (what techniques are taught, curriculum), and research (basic? clinical? areas of interest?). All but 1 of my programs violated rules of the match and probed how many and specifically which other programs I was interviewing at. It's okay to say, "I'm sorry but I don't feel comfortable answering this question."

I ranked all the programs I felt were acceptable, heavily considering tuition and living costs. I didn't try to game the system, because I believe the system favors the applicant. Matched with my second choice school.

The whole process was exhilarating, although kind of exhausting. I also met quality human beings with inspiring stories of trying multiple times before finally matching with their ortho program. Don't give up! Persistence pays off.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2019
Status
Dental Student
Name of Ortho Program: east coast
Dental School Attended: west coast
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: None
ADAT Score: None
GRE Score: 150V/156Q/4W
Class Rank: no gpa, no rank
Match/Non-Match: match
Externship(s)/where: none
Research: 1 pub during dental school + few other research projects
Extracurriculars: lots of club involvements
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 30+ / 7 / 7 / 7

I highlighted a weakness which was my GRE score (below 70th percentile). I also didnt have any ortho experience since I applied last minute. No one ever asked me about about it and I still got plenty of interviews and I matched. I think what made me stand out were my letters of rec. I know this now bc in every interview they'd ask me about my letter writers. Clearly, a number is not a measure of who people are and its certainly not the main predictor for success in residents.

As a side note... for people who know details about MOONLIGHTING while in residency, I started a thread here! please share advice for some of us that will be 1 million in debt...

Nov 22, 2019
I stalked previous posts when applying and found these to be helpful, so here we go...

Name of Ortho Program: Southern school
Dental School Attended: Southern school
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2016
ADAT Score: N/A
GRE Score: 159V/157Q/4.5W
Class Rank: Unknown - graduated a few years ago, didn't remember and didn't want to ask (ignorance is bliss, right?)
Match/Non-Match: Match
Research: R&D intern during undergrad, nothing during dental school.
Extracurriculars: Non-traditional applicant, 3.5 years experience as GP (private practice, corporate, and community health), post-grad clinical faculty, lots of clubs and involvement throughout undergrad and dental school.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 14/1/1/1

"It only takes one" was my motto of throughout the application cycle.

I decided I wanted to apply somewhat late (April-May) so staying hyper organized to make up for lost time was imperative. Making sure all the programs received the supplemental applications, transcripts, etc is time consuming and confusing - use a spreadsheet! I definitely recommend getting tracking on every piece of mail sent - I had to resend transcripts several times because some were showing they were never delivered and the stress of not knowing wasn't worth the savings on postage.

Academically, I'm probably a pretty average ortho applicant, so I think it really came down to my personal statement, which was the first part of my application I worked on and continued to refine throughout the process until I submitted my application. I initially wrote my personal statement similar to a diary post by letting it all spill onto paper, and then pared it back - to me this made it very approachable and from the heart. Like everyone else says, be your genuine self on interview day and it'll all work out in the end.

I was pretty selective when choosing programs because if I was going to pull myself out of the workforce for a few years, it would have to be for a program I really liked and could envisage myself going to. The application process is arduous (mostly the waiting parts in between), but it's worth it!

Apply early!

Last edited:
Reactions: livefastdieyoung

livefastdieyoung

2+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2017
Status
Dental Student
Name of Ortho Program: West coast
Dental School Attended: Midwest
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2017
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: GPR
ADAT Score: 600 overall, 570 bio, 620 cli, 630 dri
GRE Score: 163V/164Q/5W
Class Rank: top 30%
Match/Non-Match: Applied to both
Research: Research in undergrad. 1 publication.
Extracurriculars: Lots of volunteer experience over the years
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 28/9/6/0

I’ve been out of school for 2 years, so you could say I’m a non-traditional applicant. Did 1 year GPR and 1 year private practice. Accepted a nonmatch position. Surprised by how many interviews I got. I’m proof that you don’t need to be in the top 10-20% to make it, so to all those in similar positions with ortho dreams, go for it.

I think what stood out in my application were my GRE scores and personal statement. Both were touched upon during interviews. In particular, I think personal statement is a huge chance for you to stand out among the crowd, and that’s really what it’s all about, having something in your application that makes it easy for the adcoms to give you a second look. I must have rewrote my essay two dozen times.

Make sure you prepare for the interviews like your life depends on it. I slacked on that aspect and crashed and burned on my first few, and it took a couple under my belt before I started feeling good coming out of the interview. One more tip for the interviews is that in general, be passionate about the activities that you pursue and care about, it will allow you to have material to talk about during the interview and allow you to really express yourself.

Lastly...keep faith in yourself. The whole process sucks. You’ll feel real down at points, but keep pushing. Keep working at it. Every mistake leads to growth and experience. With that attitude I guarantee you’ll get in too.
Did you inform match programs that you were also applying to non match programs? I've heard you can only do one or the other. I'm really not sure what is protocol. Any advice appreciated.

quetzales

2+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2015
Name of Ortho Program: Boston school
Dental School Attended: Boston school
NBDE Part I/II scores: P/P
ADAT Score: Did not take
GRE Score: 154V / 160 QR / 5 W
Class Rank: 16 / 193
Match/Non-Match: Match and Non match
Research: Undergraduate thesis in plant cell and molec. Approved dental project but never went through with it. No publications
Extracurriculars: E-board of volunteer dental screening program. Dental service trips, Give kids a smile, pediatric outreach, private dental school tutor, clinical TA. Dental assisting and dental insurance coordinator at two local dental offices. Apartment listing broker.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 25/4/4/4
-- I only applied to 2 year programs and 3 year programs cheaper than 200k.--

Congrats to all that matched and good luck to all the future applicants reading. This process was a lot more stressful than I had anticipated so definitely start planning early and stay organized. Keeping up with all the supplemental apps was a nightmare. Have your app complete and submitted early, I almost missed the early deadlines since I was waiting on 1 letter of rec. Letters of rec are extremely important and they should be from people you know very well. Getting a letter from ortho faculty is tricky since most curriculum barely have ortho, but some schools require it so plan ahead! You really need to plan out when you will take boards/GRE, I really wished I took it sooner. I honestly think the entire GRE thing is fake just shoot for 155+ in both sections, it’s one of those things that can only help you if you do REALLY well. I used Magoosh and took 5 practice tests.

I know it’s expensive to apply to schools, but definitely apply to more than you think. If you really want to do ortho you should be willing to do it anywhere, you never know where you will get an interview as the entire process can pan out differently than expected. Also don’t waste your money applying to certain schools that notoriously only accept international students or students from their own dental program. Look at the list of current residents-- it’s crucial! Focus on rank/GPA and curate your essays/letters of rec to showcase yourself. Utilize the interests and hobbies as a conversational hook as interviewers almost always gravitate to that section when reviewing your app.

Like everyone else has been saying don’t be discouraged if you’re rank isn’t top 10 or if you’ve been in private practice for a bit. There were many excellent applicants that I met at interviews with non-traditional applications and backgrounds. If you’re worried about rank make sure you stand out somehow, especially research. Some programs are really research heavy so good research experience can go a long way.

e00z

10+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2008
Status
Did you inform match programs that you were also applying to non match programs? I've heard you can only do one or the other. I'm really not sure what is protocol. Any advice appreciated.
Pretty much all schools ask you where else you are interviewing. I was just upfront with my answer, and schools did not pursue the question any further. I didn't specifically say whether each school was match/non-match.

Some schools are match only and will say so on their website. I did not apply to these.

Reactions: livefastdieyoung

CaliDDS1986

7+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2011
Status
Dentist
Has anyone heard/interviewed/accepted the post match positions at Saint Barnabas or Bronx Lebanon yet?

About the Ads
Jun 19, 2019
Status
Dentist
St Barnabas has interviewed and filled their empty spot. Haven't heard from Bronx. I am curious about OHSU. I swore they had an unfilled position up to few hours after match. Now match doesn't list it at all..
Has anyone heard/interviewed/accepted the post match positions at Saint Barnabas or Bronx Lebanon yet?
Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

Dec 3, 2019
Bronx is currently accepting applications for their remaining spots. OHSU filled their spot.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019
Your intel is fresher than mine so it looks like their decision is made. That just leaves Georgia School of Ortho.......

mmc12

2+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2016
Status
Dentist
Your intel is fresher than mine so it looks like their decision is made. That just leaves Georgia School of Ortho.......
How many postmatch spots did Georgia have this year? I remember they had like around 8 last year...

Jun 19, 2019
Status
Dentist
They emailed me on tuesday and said they actually have 5 not 6. However, match still said six a few days ago. So somewhere between 5 and 6 I guess
How many postmatch spots did Georgia have this year? I remember they had like around 8 last year...
Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

vk223

5+ Year Member
May 16, 2013
Status
Dental Student
Name of Ortho Program: Midwest school
Dental School Attended: Midwest school
NBDE Part I/II scores: Pass/n/a
GRE Score: 155V/169Q/3.5W
Class Rank: 1/70
Research: 3 years of neuroscience research in undergrad, co-authored in 2 publications. Oral biology related research in dental school and ortho research.
Extracurriculars: Multiple leadership positions and lots of extracurricular involvement in dental school.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 17/8/6/6

Overall I'm happy with my match results. It was a long and exhausting process more than I imagined. English is my second language, and I've been always struggling with grammar/writing which was reflected in my GRE score. I studied a long time for GRE- about 4 months in total, mainly for the verbal section, but underestimated the writing section and got a relatively low score on that. I was pretty worried about my GRE score but I was told by faculties and residents that you are looked at as a whole package, so it may balance out since I got a pretty high score in math section. However, I also heard the writing section may be heavily weighed at programs requiring a master degree. I would recommend be well prepared for the GRE (magoosh is a good resource), especially if your grade is not high. I met so many other amazing candidates along the way and appreciate the fact that I was able to match at a school that I like.
Also I initially applied to 12 programs, but was anxious towards the deadline and added 5 more.. all the interviews I got were the programs I applied early for, kind of wasted all the money for the other schools. So moral of the story is to apply early, do not take any risks :) I feel like some schools sent out interview invites before their actual deadline. Also research helped a lot. I feel like most candidates I met along the way has some kind of research under their belt, and every school asked about my ortho or dental research experience. If you do have research experience, make sure you know what you are doing and can explain well, as sometimes the faculties may ask very specific questions. Good letter of recs help a lot as well.

Reactions: Ninna

Zartye

2+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Name of Ortho Program: Midwest school
Dental School Attended: Midwest school
NBDE Part I/II scores: Pass/n/a
GRE Score: 155V/169Q/3.5W
Class Rank: 1/70
Research: 3 years of neuroscience research in undergrad, co-authored in 2 publications. Oral biology related research in dental school and ortho research.
Extracurriculars: Multiple leadership positions and lots of extracurricular involvement in dental school.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 17/8/6/6

Overall I'm happy with my match results. It was a long and exhausting process more than I imagined. English is my second language, and I've been always struggling with grammar/writing which was reflected in my GRE score. I studied a long time for GRE- about 4 months in total, mainly for the verbal section, but underestimated the writing section and got a relatively low score on that. I was pretty worried about my GRE score but I was told by faculties and residents that you are looked at as a whole package, so it may balance out since I got a pretty high score in math section. However, I also heard the writing section may be heavily weighed at programs requiring a master degree. I would recommend be well prepared for the GRE (magoosh is a good resource), especially if your grade is not high. I met so many other amazing candidates along the way and appreciate the fact that I was able to match at a school that I like.
Also I initially applied to 12 programs, but was anxious towards the deadline and added 5 more.. all the interviews I got were the programs I applied early for, kind of wasted all the money for the other schools. So moral of the story is to apply early, do not take any risks :) I feel like some schools sent out interview invites before their actual deadline. Also research helped a lot. I feel like most candidates I met along the way has some kind of research under their belt, and every school asked about my ortho or dental research experience. If you do have research experience, make sure you know what you are doing and can explain well, as sometimes the faculties may ask very specific questions. Good letter of recs help a lot as well.
Hey vk223 could I message you or vice versa?

Reactions: vk223

Tooth

Orthodontist
10+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2005
Status
Non-Student
Jeez, these threads have really gone down hill. Board scores used to be massively important and now it's all "pass" which is worthless. Why even post that? Clearly that doesn't matter any more. Then everyone's putting "west coast" or "southern school" etc. You know, people used to actually post their school's name. If you can't name your school you might as well just say "somewhere". Lame. I pity the DDS class of 2021.

Reactions: 011110
About the Ads

5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2014
Status
Dentist
Jeez, these threads have really gone down hill. Board scores used to be massively important and now it's all "pass" which is worthless. Why even post that? Clearly that doesn't matter any more. Then everyone's putting "west coast" or "southern school" etc. You know, people used to actually post their school's name. If you can't name your school you might as well just say "somewhere". Lame. I pity the DDS class of 2021.
@Tooth

how’s life as an ortho man? I remember you getting into residency on the boards years ago super enthusiastic. Has the market for ortho been as tough as they say it is or u making mad $$$$??!

Tooth

Orthodontist
10+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2005
Status
Non-Student
@Tooth

how’s life as an ortho man? I remember you getting into residency on the boards years ago super enthusiastic. Has the market for ortho been as tough as they say it is or u making mad $$$$??!
I left my chain gig due to non-commensurate compensation and bought a business. Can’t say I’m super enthusiastic about the future of the profession though, primarily due to direct-to-consumer corporations. Always grateful for what I have though.

Last edited:

2TH MVR

Orthodontist
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2017
North Scottsdale, Arizona
Status
Dentist
I left my chain gig due to non-commensurate compensation and bought a business. Business was down 18% in 2019, but it’s said that’s pretty normal in transitions so finding the reason why is elusive. Can’t say I’m super enthusiastic about the future of the profession though, primarily due to direct-to-consumer corporations. Always grateful for what I have though.
Was the business (practice) full time which doesn't seem likely? If not .... why not keep the chain gig as PT just to keep revenue up?

Curious about your comment about "non-commensurate compensation". Same compensation with no raises .... or did they actually lower your compensation? Just curious.

Tooth

Orthodontist
10+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2005
Status
Non-Student
Was the business (practice) full time which doesn't seem likely? If not .... why not keep the chain gig as PT just to keep revenue up?

Curious about your comment about "non-commensurate compensation". Same compensation with no raises .... or did they actually lower your compensation? Just curious.
I was looking at 28% of collections and believe 35% is where it should have been. Would have settled for 30-32% but they wouldn't budge. I thought long-term 28% would affect my self-esteem. I later heard from a friend who was getting just 22% offer. I'm guessing over-population of orthos isn't helping the profession and my area was right next to a university pumping out 15/year with a new 19/year program just 5 hours away. Had to get out of there.

Trout_Bum

5+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2014
Status
Dental Student
I was looking at 28% of collections and believe 35% is where it should have been. Would have settled for 30-32% but they wouldn't budge. I thought long-term 28% would affect my self-esteem. I later heard from a friend who was getting just 22% offer. I'm guessing over-population of orthos isn't helping the profession and my area was right next to a university pumping out 15/year with a new 19/year program just 5 hours away. Had to get out of there.
Based on your classmates’ experiences is this a common problem? Or is it more dependent on where in the country you live and whether DSO’s have a strong foothold in the area?

2TH MVR

Orthodontist
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2017
North Scottsdale, Arizona
Status
Dentist
Agree with the saturation and the DIY stuff. Hang in there. Sounds like your doing ok

charlestweed

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2007
SoCal
us.i1.yimg.com
Status
Dentist
28% of the collection is actually very good. You can easily make $1500-1700/day if you can handle 50-60 patients/day and produce for them $6-7k (assuming that each patient pays $100-150 per office visit) a day. And the assistants do 90% of the work for you. Making something is better than staying home. Treating more cases (by working more days) also allows you to gain more clinical experience and to become a better faster orthodontist.

Reactions: gumtee
Nov 21, 2019
Status
Dentist
Does anyone know if/when GSO will be sending out interview invitations for their post match spots?

thx

Mar 10, 2020
Status
Dental Student
Hi all, prospective ortho applicant here. Did anyone here feel that their GRE score was a big factor in their acceptance/rejection? Trying to figure out if my low GRE score (low 150's per section) warrants another try at the exam.. My other stats are good in terms of grades/rank/extracurriculars

Reactions: 4thgen
About the Ads