**Official 2020 Ortho PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you inform match programs that you were also applying to non match programs? I've heard you can only do one or the other. I'm really not sure what is protocol. Any advice appreciated.

Pretty much all schools ask you where else you are interviewing. I was just upfront with my answer, and schools did not pursue the question any further. I didn't specifically say whether each school was match/non-match.

Some schools are match only and will say so on their website. I did not apply to these.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard/interviewed/accepted the post match positions at Saint Barnabas or Bronx Lebanon yet?

Bronx is currently accepting applications for their remaining spots. OHSU filled their spot.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was just told yesterday by Bronx that they already selected two for their interview...hmm.
Bronx is currently accepting applications for their remaining spots. OHSU filled their spot.

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

Your intel is fresher than mine so it looks like their decision is made. That just leaves Georgia School of Ortho.......

Your intel is fresher than mine so it looks like their decision is made. That just leaves Georgia School of Ortho.......
How many postmatch spots did Georgia have this year? I remember they had like around 8 last year...

Name of Ortho Program: Midwest school
Dental School Attended: Midwest school
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2020
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: No
International Student (yes/no): No
NBDE Part I/II scores: Pass/n/a
ADAT Score: N/A
GRE Score: 155V/169Q/3.5W
Class Rank: 1/70
Match/Non-Match: Match
Externship(s)/where: None
Research: 3 years of neuroscience research in undergrad, co-authored in 2 publications. Oral biology related research in dental school and ortho research.
Extracurriculars: Multiple leadership positions and lots of extracurricular involvement in dental school.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 17/8/6/6

Overall I'm happy with my match results. It was a long and exhausting process more than I imagined. English is my second language, and I've been always struggling with grammar/writing which was reflected in my GRE score. I studied a long time for GRE- about 4 months in total, mainly for the verbal section, but underestimated the writing section and got a relatively low score on that. I was pretty worried about my GRE score but I was told by faculties and residents that you are looked at as a whole package, so it may balance out since I got a pretty high score in math section. However, I also heard the writing section may be heavily weighed at programs requiring a master degree. I would recommend be well prepared for the GRE (magoosh is a good resource), especially if your grade is not high. I met so many other amazing candidates along the way and appreciate the fact that I was able to match at a school that I like.
Also I initially applied to 12 programs, but was anxious towards the deadline and added 5 more.. all the interviews I got were the programs I applied early for, kind of wasted all the money for the other schools. So moral of the story is to apply early, do not take any risks :) I feel like some schools sent out interview invites before their actual deadline. Also research helped a lot. I feel like most candidates I met along the way has some kind of research under their belt, and every school asked about my ortho or dental research experience. If you do have research experience, make sure you know what you are doing and can explain well, as sometimes the faculties may ask very specific questions. Good letter of recs help a lot as well.

Name of Ortho Program: Midwest school
Dental School Attended: Midwest school
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2020
AEGD/GPR/Fellowship/Residency: No
International Student (yes/no): No
NBDE Part I/II scores: Pass/n/a
ADAT Score: N/A
GRE Score: 155V/169Q/3.5W
Class Rank: 1/70
Match/Non-Match: Match
Externship(s)/where: None
Research: 3 years of neuroscience research in undergrad, co-authored in 2 publications. Oral biology related research in dental school and ortho research.
Extracurriculars: Multiple leadership positions and lots of extracurricular involvement in dental school.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked: 17/8/6/6

Overall I'm happy with my match results. It was a long and exhausting process more than I imagined. English is my second language, and I've been always struggling with grammar/writing which was reflected in my GRE score. I studied a long time for GRE- about 4 months in total, mainly for the verbal section, but underestimated the writing section and got a relatively low score on that. I was pretty worried about my GRE score but I was told by faculties and residents that you are looked at as a whole package, so it may balance out since I got a pretty high score in math section. However, I also heard the writing section may be heavily weighed at programs requiring a master degree. I would recommend be well prepared for the GRE (magoosh is a good resource), especially if your grade is not high. I met so many other amazing candidates along the way and appreciate the fact that I was able to match at a school that I like.
Also I initially applied to 12 programs, but was anxious towards the deadline and added 5 more.. all the interviews I got were the programs I applied early for, kind of wasted all the money for the other schools. So moral of the story is to apply early, do not take any risks :) I feel like some schools sent out interview invites before their actual deadline. Also research helped a lot. I feel like most candidates I met along the way has some kind of research under their belt, and every school asked about my ortho or dental research experience. If you do have research experience, make sure you know what you are doing and can explain well, as sometimes the faculties may ask very specific questions. Good letter of recs help a lot as well.

Hey vk223 could I message you or vice versa?

Jeez, these threads have really gone down hill. Board scores used to be massively important and now it's all "pass" which is worthless. Why even post that? Clearly that doesn't matter any more. Then everyone's putting "west coast" or "southern school" etc. You know, people used to actually post their school's name. If you can't name your school you might as well just say "somewhere". Lame. I pity the DDS class of 2021.

Reactions: 2 users
Jeez, these threads have really gone down hill. Board scores used to be massively important and now it's all "pass" which is worthless. Why even post that? Clearly that doesn't matter any more. Then everyone's putting "west coast" or "southern school" etc. You know, people used to actually post their school's name. If you can't name your school you might as well just say "somewhere". Lame. I pity the DDS class of 2021.

@Tooth

how’s life as an ortho man? I remember you getting into residency on the boards years ago super enthusiastic. Has the market for ortho been as tough as they say it is or u making mad $$$$??!

Reactions: 1 users
@Tooth

how’s life as an ortho man? I remember you getting into residency on the boards years ago super enthusiastic. Has the market for ortho been as tough as they say it is or u making mad $$$$??!

I left my chain gig due to non-commensurate compensation and bought a business. Can’t say I’m super enthusiastic about the future of the profession though, primarily due to direct-to-consumer corporations. Always grateful for what I have though.

Last edited:
I left my chain gig due to non-commensurate compensation and bought a business. Business was down 18% in 2019, but it’s said that’s pretty normal in transitions so finding the reason why is elusive. Can’t say I’m super enthusiastic about the future of the profession though, primarily due to direct-to-consumer corporations. Always grateful for what I have though.
Was the business (practice) full time which doesn't seem likely? If not .... why not keep the chain gig as PT just to keep revenue up?

Curious about your comment about "non-commensurate compensation". Same compensation with no raises .... or did they actually lower your compensation? Just curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was the business (practice) full time which doesn't seem likely? If not .... why not keep the chain gig as PT just to keep revenue up?

Curious about your comment about "non-commensurate compensation". Same compensation with no raises .... or did they actually lower your compensation? Just curious.
I was looking at 28% of collections and believe 35% is where it should have been. Would have settled for 30-32% but they wouldn't budge. I thought long-term 28% would affect my self-esteem. I later heard from a friend who was getting just 22% offer. I'm guessing over-population of orthos isn't helping the profession and my area was right next to a university pumping out 15/year with a new 19/year program just 5 hours away. Had to get out of there.

I was looking at 28% of collections and believe 35% is where it should have been. Would have settled for 30-32% but they wouldn't budge. I thought long-term 28% would affect my self-esteem. I later heard from a friend who was getting just 22% offer. I'm guessing over-population of orthos isn't helping the profession and my area was right next to a university pumping out 15/year with a new 19/year program just 5 hours away. Had to get out of there.
Based on your classmates’ experiences is this a common problem? Or is it more dependent on where in the country you live and whether DSO’s have a strong foothold in the area?

Agree with the saturation and the DIY stuff. Hang in there. Sounds like your doing ok

28% of the collection is actually very good. You can easily make $1500-1700/day if you can handle 50-60 patients/day and produce for them $6-7k (assuming that each patient pays $100-150 per office visit) a day. And the assistants do 90% of the work for you. Making something is better than staying home. Treating more cases (by working more days) also allows you to gain more clinical experience and to become a better faster orthodontist.

Does anyone know if/when GSO will be sending out interview invitations for their post match spots?

thx

Is ortho paying that much for it even worth it?

How long was individuals personal statement. I know ADEA said 4500 characters for those applying to dental school, but I didn't see anything about Graduate programs. Did anyone locate any rules for submitting to PASS?

How long was individuals personal statement. I know ADEA said 4500 characters for those applying to dental school, but I didn't see anything about Graduate programs. Did anyone locate any rules for submitting to PASS?

I think as long as it's no more than 2 pages you'll be ok.

Does anyone know if there are any current unfilled residency programs for 2020 post match?

Also don’t waste your money applying to certain schools that notoriously only accept international students
Which programs would you say mostly accept international students or are particularly inclined to do so? Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know of someone getting in to ortho with a 3.22 GPA?

Does anyone know of someone getting in to ortho with a 3.22
Uphill battle for sure. Research, killer GRE score, great LOR. Apply broadly including 3 year expensive programs. Give it a shot if you believe ortho is your passion, but know that schools have a Gpa/class rank cut off where they won’t even look at the application.

Does anyone know of someone getting in to ortho with a 3.22 GPA?
Is that person interested in attending the esteemed Georgia School of Orthodontics?