justanotherpredent

5+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
Has anyone heard from MD/TN's NYU Langone programs?
Any idea why they have so many seats available this year for post-match? :thinking:

About the Ads
Feb 3, 2020
Status
Dentist
(I already posted about this on a different thread, but I wanted to ask the Pedo 2020 pool) :

Is it common for schools to add a post-match position just for an applicant?

This cycle, I interviewed at a decent number of spots, but ended up needing to post match. In the end, I recently accepted a GPR position in NYC. I am planning on re-applying to Peds next year.

I have a couple classmates and friends who also applied this year. They told me that one of their friends has a classmate who got “accepted” to a school program last minute. The interesting part, is that the school initially never had a post-match spot open, and just accepted an extra, for one of their students who didn’t get in on the day of match. During the interview cycle, the school program advertised the initial number of spots to be opened. If people knew of that school offering post-match, I know that many people would have applied, myself included.

Most students of that school seem to know of this case, and told my friend that it doesn’t seem fair for that program to suddenly accept another spot - maybe the student has connections? Or money? All assumptions, but still not fair, for those who matched or post-matched or was looking to match. Is it just me that knows of this case, and feels that it devalues the point of match and post-matching?
I can kind of guess which school it is, seeing that it's a 8 person program. Why wouldn't the school offer the extra spot as a post match option? If this is the school I'm thinking of, in New York, it wasn't a part of the post match list. That's not fair to anyone who is looking for post-match programs...all these people are looking for options!

Oct 6, 2019
Status
Dentist
Did someone matched at UofMichigan? Anyone knows when the results for international applicants are announced? They said "after match results are out" but haven't heard anything from them.

Feb 8, 2020
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I unfortunately didn’t match, but I’m still planning on applying next round:) I was wondering, would anyone recommend doing a one-year pediatric fellowship over working in a private practice Peds clinic while reapplying? I get the feeling that they both would be great experiences. I also have the feeling that a fellowship might look better on my resume. Thanks in advance for your advice.

paradisedesert

10+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2008
Status
Dentist
I unfortunately didn’t match, but I’m still planning on applying next round:) I was wondering, would anyone recommend doing a one-year pediatric fellowship over working in a private practice Peds clinic while reapplying? I get the feeling that they both would be great experiences. I also have the feeling that a fellowship might look better on my resume. Thanks in advance for your advice.
I think both would look great. Comes down to finances.

Reactions: TheDentGent
Mar 12, 2019
Does anyone know a good resource to find out information on programs? More of the details you can only get from people who were in programs... specifically I'm interested in programs with very light on call component

Oct 19, 2018
I think you're confusing Missouri with another location because the Missouri site has been open for around 6 years or so....and they did not have post match spots this year.
I called them and they said they took post match spots already!
And yes they just opened!

Jan 24, 2020
I think you're confusing Missouri with another location because the Missouri site has been open for around 6 years or so....and they did not have post match spots this year.
There is a Springfield site that has been open, and a Columbia site that just got accredited.

Oct 19, 2018
Does anyone know how long will it take for the fellowship programs to tell us if we are accepted or not after the interviews?

About the Ads