*~*~* Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2012-2013 *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I spent a year in Europe as an exchange student. I lived, ate, and slept there... so it adds up to 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for many months. It comes out to something like 8000 hrs, 168 hrs a week. Is that how I should list it on AACOMAS? I can't think of any other way.

Members don't see this ad.

I spent a year in Europe as an exchange student. I lived, ate, and slept there... so it adds up to 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for many months. It comes out to something like 8000 hrs, 168 hrs a week. Is that how I should list it on AACOMAS? I can't think of any other way.

Out of curiosity, what section are you listing it under? 8,000 hours, 168 hrs/week is fine. They'll know what an exchange student is, so the hours make sense. :)

Is it really that important to list total hours? I thought just listing hrs/week to be sufficient.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it really that important to list total hours? I thought just listing hrs/week to be sufficient.

I can't remember if it asks for total hours or not. If it does, put it if you can. If not, hours/week is sufficient.

Out of curiosity, what section are you listing it under? 8,000 hours, 168 hrs/week is fine. They'll know what an exchange student is, so the hours make sense. :)

I put it under EC/Volunteer/etc. Is there another section I could have put it under?

I can't remember if it asks for total hours or not. If it does, put it if you can. If not, hours/week is sufficient.

For work experience, it doesn't ask for total hours. It just asks for a weekly average. On the extracurricular section, it asks for both.

I put it under EC/Volunteer/etc. Is there another section I could have put it under?

For work experience, it doesn't ask for total hours. It just asks for a weekly average. On the extracurricular section, it asks for both.

Nope, EC/Volunteer is fine. And in that case, put the total hours as well like you were going to. :)

There is going to be alot here, so I thank you ahead of time for being patient. My first question is do all DO schools allow for grade replacement? And if so, how does this work? They just calculate the highest grade you have in a course, regardless of how many times you have taken it?

I quickly calculated my science GPA taking my highest grades in Bio 1 and 2, Chem 1 and 2, Orgo 1 and 2, and Physics 1 and 2, and it came out to be a 3.15. This did not factor is Calc 1, Stat, and Calc 2, in which I got an A, A, and C- respectively.

Needless to say, my undergrad grades were very poor. I almost failed out and spent 6 years at my college. I then transfered to University of Phoenix online ( yes it is acreditted), and finished in a year. I did much better taking those online courses.

Alot of those online courses were retakes, but I'm curious as to how they will be factored in because they might go by a slightly different name. For example, at my old school, MKT 201 Intro to Marketing might be called MKT 224 Marketing Principles at the Online University. Will this count as a retake? ( All my science classes were done at my old university).

I also took a community college class for Biology 2 years back and got a B in it. However, it was 3 credits. If I retake Orgo 1 and a community college, it will be 3 credits vs the 4 credits it was at my old university.

I also took my Mcat on June 21st, so I'm waiting for those results. I was scoring 30 -32 on practice tests. I'm hoping this grade replacement thing works out and then maybe Ill have a shot? If there is no grade replacement, my gpa is around a 2.4. I may even reconsider taking some community college classes to up the GPA if retakes come into play. So I appreciate any advice on this guys, thanks!

Although University of Phoenix is accredited, it's looked down upon by many employers and other educational institutions. You will probably have a hard time being taken seriously with the classes taken there, or at any online university. How many credits did you take with UoP? Would it be completely improbable for you to retake those courses at a local university?

Hm... well AK raised an important issue about UoP online classes. You should've tried to retake it at a CC. But what's done is done.

Grade replacement works by replacing a new grade with the old grade for the same course. So if you had a class called 1001 Basket Weaving at one school, and retook it at a CC which called it 1234 Basket Weaving Basics... as long as the two overlap in content and credit hours, the grade replacement will be successful.

A 3 credit class cannot replace a 4 credit class, unless the lab and lecture are separate (so the lecture is 3 credit, lab is 1 credit=4). Even so, eyebrows will be raised because it was an online course. Is there anyway you can do all your retakes at a CC? Remember, you have to have a lab component, which is impossible to do online.

Well, my science classes were all taken at an actual university ( not online or at CC), except for Bio 2 which was at a CC.

If I do take a class at a CC, they are all 3 credit classes, vs the 4 credit classes I took at my old university. The UOP classes were 3 credits so that just sucks!

Btw, will any of this matter if I somehow get a 35 + on the MCAT?

Also, I am wondering, if my overall ends up being around a 2.5- 2.6 with a Science GPA of 3.1ish, would it make more sense to try to do an SMP or to retake some F's and take some upper level science classes on my own, like Biochem, Anatomy and Phys, Microbiology.

Btw, will any of this matter if I somehow get a 35 + on the MCAT?
Yes. Medical schools emphasize longevity of success in their evaluation (GPA), not just scientific capacity (MCAT).

While in undergrad I took a course called "Human Anatomy and Physiology II" (second semester) and earned a pathetic "D". It was four semester credits. If I retake a course online with the same title/similar course description will AACOMAS still allow for grade replacement? I live in PA and the school a distance part of NJ.

I have already completed all pre-reqs NOT online.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's up with all these online courses? Jesus Christ

I know I know.

If I can work something out with my employer (come in and leave 30 min earlier two days a week) and take it at a local university with tuition reimbursement I will! Hopefully that will work out.

There is going to be alot here, so I thank you ahead of time for being patient.
1)My first question is do all DO schools allow for grade replacement? And if so, how does this work? They just calculate the highest grade you have in a course, regardless of how many times you have taken it?

2) I quickly calculated my science GPA taking my highest grades in Bio 1 and 2, Chem 1 and 2, Orgo 1 and 2, and Physics 1 and 2, and it came out to be a 3.15. This did not factor is Calc 1, Stat, and Calc 2, in which I got an A, A, and C- respectively.

Needless to say, my undergrad grades were very poor. I almost failed out and spent 6 years at my college.

3) Alot of those online courses were retakes, but I'm curious as to how they will be factored in because they might go by a slightly different name. For example, at my old school, MKT 201 Intro to Marketing might be called MKT 224 Marketing Principles at the Online University. Will this count as a retake? ( All my science classes were done at my old university).

I also took a community college class for Biology 2 years back and got a B in it. However, it was 3 credits. If I retake Orgo 1 and a community college, it will be 3 credits vs the 4 credits it was at my old university.

I also took my Mcat on June 21st, so I'm waiting for those results. I was scoring 30 -32 on practice tests. I'm hoping this grade replacement thing works out and then maybe Ill have a shot? If there is no grade replacement, my gpa is around a 2.4. I may even reconsider taking some community college classes to up the GPA if retakes come into play. So I appreciate any advice on this guys, thanks!

1) DO school count the latest grade not the highest, regardless of how many times you have taken it.
2) Math course are not calcuated as science GPA anyway at DO schools, it counts in your cumGPA.
3) Many schools will not accept online classes as retakes unless the first course was also online. Also most schools will not accept pre-recs that were taken online.

Well, my science classes were all taken at an actual university ( not online or at CC), except for Bio 2 which was at a CC.

1) If I do take a class at a CC, they are all 3 credit classes, vs the 4 credit classes I took at my old university. The UOP classes were 3 credits so that just sucks!

2)Btw, will any of this matter if I somehow get a 35 + on the MCAT?[/QUOTE]

1) School expect retakes to be the same or a very similar class, I have heard them taking 4 credit classes to replace a 3 but never vise versa.

2) If you get a 35 MCAT it will increase your chances, however it will not make up for bad grades or classes they will not accept.

Also, I am wondering, if my overall ends up being around a 2.5- 2.6 with a Science GPA of 3.1ish, would it make more sense to try to do an SMP or to retake some F's and take some upper level science classes on my own, like Biochem, Anatomy and Phys, Microbiology.

If you GPA is a 2.5- 2.6 without grade forgiveness you most likely will not get into an SMP unless you have something else to show the SMP. People in this situation commonly do UG post bacc until there grades are up around 3.0 or they do a hard science masters while applying to medical school and if they don't get in they apply to an SMP.
You need to first: 1) retake all courses on equal level to the first class all courses you have a grade less then a C+ in.
2) Either do more UG until your gpa is around a 3.0 or try to get into a hard science masters program.
3) Think about an SMP will applying to medical school if you fail to get into medical school on your first shot.

I am assuming you land a good MCAT (27 plus), have all your EC in order and you are willing to put in all this work to get into medical school.

NM.

I mixed up the map of the city I live in. I can take the course at a local university two evenings a week.

What's up with all these online courses? Jesus Christ

:thumbup:

I know I know.

If I can work something out with my employer (come in and leave 30 min earlier two days a week) and take it at a local university with tuition reimbursement I will! Hopefully that will work out.

Online courses ( that are noted on the transcript as online) will not be accepted by most schools as a replacement. Contant the medical schools of your interest to get their policy.

If your transcript says "online," don't count on it. Otherwise, yes.

Thanks. Forgive me but I thought a SMP was a science masters progam. What I was referring to was a Master of Biomedical Sciences program at UMDNJ. I would be applying to that, trying to maintain a great GPA there, and then applying to DO schools with hopefully a better MCAT.

At the same time, Id have a poor undergrad GPA ( 2.5) although my Science would be 3.1 with grade forgiveness. And none of my science classes were taken online. However, my degree ended up being from the University of Phoenix online classes since I transferred over all my previous credits. I only needed a year to complete this. I only took business classes online so why wouldnt they accept this? All the science was done at Penn State.

Thanks. Forgive me but I thought a SMP was a science masters progam. What I was referring to was a Master of Biomedical Sciences program at UMDNJ. I would be applying to that, trying to maintain a great GPA there, and then applying to DO schools with hopefully a better MCAT.

At the same time, Id have a poor undergrad GPA ( 2.5) although my Science would be 3.1 with grade forgiveness. And none of my science classes were taken online. However, my degree ended up being from the University of Phoenix online classes since I transferred over all my previous credits. I only needed a year to complete this. I only took business classes online so why wouldnt they accept this? All the science was done at Penn State.

Is your only degree from Phoenix? I'm kind of worried about that...seems like that would be some sort of red flag. You might want to look into that...

Because UoP has a universal reputation of being a degree mill and a degree from there is not even worth the paper it is printed on because you can't even use the sheet again because there's useless writing all over it. The only professional people you will find that do not look askance at a UoP degree are those who have one themselves-I know of entire corporate HR departments who use a UoP degree as one of their first-round elimination criteria because they feel it shows poor judgement and a lack of the ability to do basic on-line research. This is all going to sound extremely critical, and it should. I can't say enough bad things about UoP and have enemies I wouldn't wish it on. Far too many people get suckered into their programs and it breaks my heart a little every time I hear of an acquaintance who fell into that morass.

On the subject of a Master's degree (other than an SMP which is a rigorous program that is designed specifically for people who are trying to get into med school) the short answer is: med schools won't care. All that matters for GPA when they look at your app are undergraduate credits. It might help a bit if you can pass initial screening and get to an interview, but overall it will have very little impact on your application process, especially in the pre-interview screening process.

If your only degree is from "university" of Phoenix you're hosed. No medical school will take you with that as your only degree. You need to go back to UG and get a real degree from a real university or college, if you don't have one.

If your only degree is from "university" of Phoenix you're hosed. No medical school will take you with that as your only degree. You need to go back to UG and get a real degree from a real university or college, if you don't have one.

Even the big 4 in the Carib?

Do you know for sure that the grade replacement won't accept a 3 credit course for a 4? I am waiting to be verified so I guess I'll find out soon enough, but it seems to me that the credit hour distinction varies based on which university you are at. I did my undergrad at post bac at top 50 universities and the classes didn't differ terribly, but the first school, all science classes were 4 credits, the second all are 3. It just kind of seems like that gives an unfair advantage to people who do a post-bac or retake the classes at the exact same university as they have the best shot of the classes being accepted for the grade replacement policy. Oh well!

Do you know for sure that the grade replacement won't accept a 3 credit course for a 4? I am waiting to be verified so I guess I'll find out soon enough, but it seems to me that the credit hour distinction varies based on which university you are at. I did my undergrad at post bac at top 50 universities and the classes didn't differ terribly, but the first school, all science classes were 4 credits, the second all are 3. It just kind of seems like that gives an unfair advantage to people who do a post-bac or retake the classes at the exact same university as they have the best shot of the classes being accepted for the grade replacement policy. Oh well!

It always depends on the medical school, some will most won't. For a final answer call the medical schools and ask but for the most part it really does need to be an equal class. It also depends on how AACOMAS classifies it too, some times they let it ride, most of the time they count them both as separate classes and let the school sort it out.
See the issue with most 4 credit classes is the lab is a part of the grade, if they let you replace with a 3 credit hour class that didn't have a lab that would not be fair...

Hmm.. Well for the courses with a lab I can understand that and I don't think I'll see an issue, but I took Molecular in undergrad and it was four credits with no lab and then retook it at a different (higher ranked, not like that matters) university and it was only three, even though it was 500 level class. I did have my advisor submit a letter saying she had reviewed the course descriptions and found them to be equivalent so maybe that will help? Hoping to find out soon!

Hmm.. Well for the courses with a lab I can understand that and I don't think I'll see an issue, but I took Molecular in undergrad and it was four credits with no lab and then retook it at a different (higher ranked, not like that matters) university and it was only three, even though it was 500 level class. I did have my advisor submit a letter saying she had reviewed the course descriptions and found them to be equivalent so maybe that will help? Hoping to find out soon!

Yeah if you did this my money is on you are going to be just fine. I see alot of people on this forum that try to slide by useing a 3 cred class to cover a 4 and skate by not doing the lab again and when it doesn't work they are often not too happy. One guy tried to replace a 4 cred with a 3 and he took the lab. He got an A in the class but a C+ in the lab, so AACOMAS adjusted his gpa calculation by merging the two classes and changing his gpa earned for that class to a B+... not a bad deal if I do say so myself( He had a D in the original class). The peeps that work over at AACOMAS are really on top of things.

Hey guys, a few questions:

1. Is it mandatory to list the number of hours shadowed? I have not shadowed my physicians for extensive number of hours, and those that I shadowed said that one day (half-day) shadowing would be enough. Therefore my number of shadowing hours are really low and thus was thinking about not mentioning it.

2. Do the LORs have to be submitted through Interfolio? My campus has their own system that collects and organizes LORs, and I am using that for the AMCAS application.

3. When we put multiple entries for ECs (like putting different volunteering experiences under one topic), do I just give the contact info of one of the organizations, or list the numbers of all of them?

4. What would be the best title to put for tutoring? Also, I have only tutored students independently (ie not through any organizations). In that case, can I put the contact info of one of my students, or would that make it illegitimate?

Thanks again.

Never considered listing my abroad experience as a whole unit... although I guess I mention it enough in my other ECs :D

Few of my classes were done online including one retake and it counted just fine.

I am really sick of hearing people put down distance learning, online courses, etc. What the heck do you think is so different about them? You are expected to learn the same material and if done through a quality program are challenged the same as a live course. Most medical schools you download the powerpoints and are not required to attend classroom lectures. Really it's not that much different. It is all about self-directed learning. Plus if you don't learn the material well, it will show including on the MCAT. I think if anything online learning increases the amount of self-reliance needed to succeed. And if you think exams, quizzes, etc are easier they are not. My biochemistry professor at a major university allowed a one page cheat sheet for each exam where my online course did not allow open book/notes or a cheat sheet. And to clarify, they required a proctor to administer the exam.

So please do a little objective research regarding distance learning. I would think we all would like to be well informed on such things considering the profession we are trying to break into requires as much.

Few of my classes were done online including one retake and it counted just fine.

I am really sick of hearing people put down distance learning, online courses, etc. What the heck do you think is so different about them? You are expected to learn the same material and if done through a quality program are challenged the same as a live course. Most medical schools you download the powerpoints and are not required to attend classroom lectures. Really it's not that much different. It is all about self-directed learning. Plus if you don't learn the material well, it will show including on the MCAT. I think if anything online learning increases the amount of self-reliance needed to succeed. And if you think exams, quizzes, etc are easier they are not. My biochemistry professor at a major university allowed a one page cheat sheet for each exam where my online course did not allow open book/notes or a cheat sheet. And to clarify, they required a proctor to administer the exam.

So please do a little objective research regarding distance learning. I would think we all would like to be well informed on such things considering the profession we are trying to break into requires as much.

I took online classes too so I don't have anything against them and nobody said they wouldn't count. We are just saying you can not replace live class grades with online class grades. First off, I say this because I know people that have tried and they failed. So i warn others and think about it the concern of most medical school is somebody getting an unfair advantage. UGs that have online classes that they feel are equivalent don't list that it was taken online. No where is it listed on my transcript that I took a single online class but I can tell you this I took a ton of them. SO if it is not listed as an online course then who cares right? When they are listed as a online course this commonly means that the UG feels the course was different in some way then a live course and therefore it should be noted. These are usually courses that don't have a direct instructor and are completely self directed. These are very different. This is what schools worry about and why they commonly don't accepted them as replacements or as pre-reqs.

The best way to tell if an online class will count is if you can go to a regular professor and talk with them about the course. If the course has an instructor listed the class is the same thing as a live course and should not be listed on transcripts as online. Stay away from courses that don't have an instructor that directs the class online in someway, these are the classes that grade replacement and pre reqs will not count in.

I have nothing against them. I'm in an online psych class now and the tests are pretty damn hard even though they are openbook. I was under the impression that you can't replace classroom with online (for AACOMAS), that's all.

I have nothing against them. I'm in an online psych class now and the tests are pretty damn hard even though they are openbook. I was under the impression that you can't replace classroom with online (for AACOMAS), that's all.

From my understanding and experience, as long as the course equals the credit hours and is similar in course description then it will count. Usually, in fact almost never, is the course listed as "distance" or "online" on transcripts.

And if you think exams, quizzes, etc are easier they are not.

Strongly disagree.

After college, I went into a specialized job program in which we were required to take Microbiology + 30 other credits of classes related to the field (no other "objective research" necessary). All of the lectures, tests, quizzes, etc. were online with the exception of the required labs. I thought this would be great because I was working/volunteering and now I was becoming a full time student in addition to everything else. Needless to say, I hated it. The content (including the "upper level" bio courses) was so intellectually unstimulating and I easily surpassed every test average with minimal effort. Sure, this is just my experience and others may differ (not saying your classes were easy).

Online learning is a wonderful opportunity for some people looking to advance their education when their time/funds are severely limited. However, it was much, much easier than my experience in undergrad.

Hey guys, a few questions:

1. Is it mandatory to list the number of hours shadowed? I have not shadowed my physicians for extensive number of hours, and those that I shadowed said that one day (half-day) shadowing would be enough. Therefore my number of shadowing hours are really low and thus was thinking about not mentioning it.

2. Do the LORs have to be submitted through Interfolio? My campus has their own system that collects and organizes LORs, and I am using that for the AMCAS application.

3. When we put multiple entries for ECs (like putting different volunteering experiences under one topic), do I just give the contact info of one of the organizations, or list the numbers of all of them?

4. What would be the best title to put for tutoring? Also, I have only tutored students independently (ie not through any organizations). In that case, can I put the contact info of one of my students, or would that make it illegitimate?

Thanks again.

1. Isn't that one of the fields you have to fill out? If not, then don't worry about reporting it.

2. For DO schools, you submit your LORs to each school with your secondary. So AACOMAS doesn't collect the LORs and submit it to each school for you... you have to do it. Interfolio makes it easy to send the LORs to various schools quickly. So no you don't have to use Interfolio... but if you don't, then you have to manually mail a separate copy to each school.

3. I'm starting to think you're asking about AMCAS... AACOMAS doesn't require contact information. In any case, put one contact name.

4. Call it "independent tutoring"... for contact, put one of the students.

Strongly disagree.

After college, I went into a specialized job program in which we were required to take Microbiology + 30 other credits of classes related to the field (no other "objective research" necessary). All of the lectures, tests, quizzes, etc. were online with the exception of the required labs. I thought this would be great because I was working/volunteering and now I was becoming a full time student in addition to everything else. Needless to say, I hated it. The content (including the "upper level" bio courses) was so intellectually unstimulating and I easily surpassed every test average with minimal effort. Sure, this is just my experience and others may differ (not saying your classes were easy).

Online learning is a wonderful opportunity for some people looking to advance their education when their time/funds are severely limited. However, it was much, much easier than my experience in undergrad.

I truly think that is a very fair point. Obviously it is strictly anecdotal but like you said, others experience may differ. I have taken one or two easy online courses such as pharmacology and medical terminology. I also agree that online learning can provide a wonderful opportunity. Eventually I see a majority of students choosing this educational route. But with that being said, I also see a decline in social skills and missing out on the "college experience".

The best way to tell if an online class will count is if you can go to a regular professor and talk with them about the course. If the course has an instructor listed the class is the same thing as a live course and should not be listed on transcripts as online. Stay away from courses that don't have an instructor that directs the class online in someway, these are the classes that grade replacement and pre reqs will not count in.

This. At my school, I took a few online classes (mostly English classes) because they just wouldn't fit into my schedule any other way without taking an extra year. The teachers were always ones who had other 'live' classes and we had the exact same amount of assignments and tests-the only difference really was that our "in class" discussions took place on a message board instead of in a classroom-we had minimum participation requirements for those discussions, as well. I took English Comp I/II from a professor who had the reputation of being the toughest grader on the campus and got all As on my papers-there were other (remedial) English professors at the school who said they would have trouble pulling consistent As from his grading and were doubly shocked because they had never seen me in the writing lab getting help (to which I thought "why would I go to someone for help when they just admitted they weren't sure they could write A papers for this guy?") The only difference in course designation was that the online classes had a section number that ran in the 100s versus starting at 001 (ie: ENG 101-100 instead of ENG 101-001).

If you're taking a course structured like that, you should be fine. Add in the fact that "names" like MIT are pushing more and more into the online learning arena and I believe it's fair to say that there will be more and more of a shift to acceptance of distance learning in the coming years.

How much revision do/did you all put into the descriptions of your EC's/work experiences? I'm kind of obsessing over the, but at the same time realize that I can't spend as much time as I did on my PS.

OP here.

I am retaking the course in a regular classroom fashion. Before I worked that out I emailed asking if a 4 semester credit class taken online can replace one taken regularly.
Response:

If your school can provide a transcript reflecting those courses, they should be considered as repeats.
Note that in order for a course to be considered as a repeat, the repeated course credits must be the same or greater than the original course credits.

Sounds like they can't guarantee it with the "should". Regardless, adcoms will have their own opinions if a class was taken online even if online isn't in the title and even if AACOMAS replaces the grade. Some DO schools do not accept online pr-reqs.

I live/work far from the school I was planning to take it online from.

How much revision do/did you all put into the descriptions of your EC's/work experiences? I'm kind of obsessing over the, but at the same time realize that I can't spend as much time as I did on my PS.

Just briefly look over it a couple times, then go over all of them before submitting as if you were an adcom reading it.

Don't spend so much time on them. Of course, make sure all the details are there and nothing is misspelled. But content is more important than whether you decide to use a list format or sentence format. Just don't delay your application for a long time because of it.

Is there a notation on your transcript that says it was exempted? I have a similar situation where I retook a class, got a grade on my transcript, but my school didn't give me credit for it. I noticed a code next to the grade. When I looked it up, it said something like "no credit given for retaking a C- or better grade." I asked AACOMAS how I should classify the grade, and they said not to put anything, "None." I haven't been verified yet, so I'm not sure what will wind up happening.

For this section can we put a writing sample or a research project we did? What did everyone do?

Thanks!

For this section can we put a writing sample or a research project we did? What did everyone do?

Thanks!

Most people leave that section blank. It's just more reading for the adcoms. The only thing you should add under this section are fee waivers or MAYBE a brief explanation of a misdemeanor or something. But I never heard of anyone doing anything else.

Just my $0.02

I thought of the "Other Documents" section as "don't post something here unless you were told to". Maybe some schools want a resume/CV or GRE scores for some programs.