*~*~* Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2012-2013 *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I thought of the "Other Documents" section as "don't post something here unless you were told to". Maybe some schools want a resume/CV or GRE scores for some programs.

Some schools ask you to attach a CV to your secondary. Almost everyone leaves the "Other Documents" section completely blank.

Members don't see this ad.

Today I checked my AACOMAS application and it states it is "processing". How long does it usually take to process?

I submitted around 6/22/2012

Members don't see this ad :)
Today I checked my AACOMAS application and it states it is "processing". How long does it usually take to process?

I submitted around 6/22/2012

I submitted 6/25, and I was verified today. Did you send in all of your transcripts? If so, when did they arrive?

I am planning on taking biochem this fall since some schools require it, but I haven't decided where I will be taking it (I've graduated from college). How do I list this as future coursework? Seems like I have to list an institution.

I am planning on taking biochem this fall since some schools require it, but I haven't decided where I will be taking it (I've graduated from college). How do I list this as future coursework? Seems like I have to list an institution.

I think you're gonna have to narrow that down first. I suppose you could try to predict where you'll choose... but I'd probably just wait until it was figured out.

i put that i will be taking it in my undergrad university because i still dont know which CC offers the courses i need to take. I think as long as you take and pass the course, then thats all that matters. If someone asks me why i didnt take it in my univ. as it is listed on my application, then i'll just say due to financial reasons I had to take at a CC (which is the truth). I already have all my pre-reqs completed so I dont think any school will care as much about me taking a class at a CC.

Does anyone know what they are specifically looking for in a LOR from a DO?
I only shadowed my DO a couple of times and he's asking me what they need in the letter.

I'm verified... but where is my GPA calculation?

Does anyone know the answer to this? Do you have to wait until the app is released to schools to see this? I'd like to know if they accepted my grade replacement stuff to see if I should add more schools or not. Thanks!

Does anyone know the answer to this? Do you have to wait until the app is released to schools to see this? I'd like to know if they accepted my grade replacement stuff to see if I should add more schools or not. Thanks!

i havent been verified yet but i have read on here that its in the pdf files. Thats all i know.

Apologies if this topic has been brought up in the past, I searched the forums and couldn't find anyone with my particular situation.
My study abroad credits are only listed as transfer credits which leads me to believe that I must go through the whole process of getting them converted etc.
I hesitate to do this because I actually failed one of my classes and as such I never received credit for it at my home institution so it doesn't even really show up. I hate to call attention to this fact and have it bring down my GPA so I'm tempted to just request a waiver.
I've requested the transcript before but it takes forever and $100 for a courier.
I hate to make excuses but I studied abroad in South Africa and they use the British way of teaching, as in 2 exams for the whole semester determine your grade but you don't get your midterm grade until your final (by the way the exams consisted of 5 multiple choice questions and an essay).
I've also asked my pre-health advisor this question a million times but he is terrible at getting in contact with me and if I really have to get my transcript sent to the US to get converted I'd rather not wait the week it takes for him to get back to my emails which is how I ended up here!
I would be grateful for suggestions and advice!

you have to wait until its released to the schools and then you can view the pdf with all of the gpa stuff

Members don't see this ad :)
I received 2 secondaries today but the status still says "Submitted to AACOMAS" next to the schools.

My status says: Current: Verified.

Does this mean it was released, but AACOMAS didn't update it?

I received 2 secondaries today but the status still says "Submitted to AACOMAS" next to the schools.

My status says: Current: Verified.

Does this mean it was released, but AACOMAS didn't update it?

Same here my app was verified last week and I received a secondary today and email from the school I applied to that they received my primary yet AACOMAS has not updated it. Should we call tomorrow?

You can call, but most likely AACOMAS just hasn't updated the status.

Apologies if this topic has been brought up in the past, I searched the forums and couldn't find anyone with my particular situation.
My study abroad credits are only listed as transfer credits which leads me to believe that I must go through the whole process of getting them converted etc.
I hesitate to do this because I actually failed one of my classes and as such I never received credit for it at my home institution so it doesn't even really show up. I hate to call attention to this fact and have it bring down my GPA so I'm tempted to just request a waiver.
I've requested the transcript before but it takes forever and $100 for a courier.
I hate to make excuses but I studied abroad in South Africa and they use the British way of teaching, as in 2 exams for the whole semester determine your grade but you don't get your midterm grade until your final (by the way the exams consisted of 5 multiple choice questions and an essay).
I've also asked my pre-health advisor this question a million times but he is terrible at getting in contact with me and if I really have to get my transcript sent to the US to get converted I'd rather not wait the week it takes for him to get back to my emails which is how I ended up here!
I would be grateful for suggestions and advice!

Mine were listed as study abroad credits (13 semester hours), so I just entered them that way since that's how they appear on my transcript. If your transfer credits show up on your transcript, just enter them exactly how they appear. If not, consider it a blessing since you failed a course, as I'm pretty sure you don't have to disclose them to AACOMAS.

I had to retake two courses because I transferred schools. However, the problem is the two courses that I had to retake I did worse the second time. Does AACOMAS still take the second grade even if I had to retake it because of the school?
Another question, if I had taken pre-calculus, then calculus, will AACOMAS still take the pre-calc grade into consideration?
Thanks

I had to retake two courses because I transferred schools. However, the problem is the two courses that I had to retake I did worse the second time. Does AACOMAS still take the second grade even if I had to retake it because of the school?
Yes, AACOMAS only counts the last instance of the class in the grade calculation.

Another question, if I had taken pre-calculus, then calculus, will AACOMAS still take the pre-calc grade into consideration?
Thanks
Yes, pre-calculus and calculus are two very different courses and they will use both grades in your GPA calculation.

So, I wasn't aware of the 6 hours of behavioural sciences requirement for the schools I applied to. Do you think this will cause them to screen me out, or can I take the classes in the spring/summer before matriculation (I'm post-bacc).

So, I wasn't aware of the 6 hours of behavioural sciences requirement for the schools I applied to. Do you think this will cause them to screen me out, or can I take the classes in the spring/summer before matriculation (I'm post-bacc).

You don't have to have all your courses finished before applying. As long as you complete it before matriculation, you'll be fine. :)

is there a new behavioral science credit hour req of 6.00 hrs this year? I noticed that last year, my AACOMAS had no "required" hours for that category...

however, this year it's showing that I'm deficient 6.00 hours...even though I took courses. Not all my courses are listed under the pre-req category. Is that normal?

Hey guys, a quick question.
Since AACOMAS does not require you to list contact info as a reference for your Work Activity section, is it still recommended to list it?
For some of my experience, I do not have anyone to list, so thought it would be better to just not mention any reference.

Also, since they don't require reference, how do they "verify" that what you listed are in fact true?

Thanks.

How long after the app is verified do the secondaries usually get sent out?

Hey guys, a quick question.
Since AACOMAS does not require you to list contact info as a reference for your Work Activity section, is it still recommended to list it?
For some of my experience, I do not have anyone to list, so thought it would be better to just not mention any reference.

Also, since they don't require reference, how do they "verify" that what you listed are in fact true?

Thanks.

If the experience was significant either in length of time (at LEAST 6 months) or in developing your character (should prob still be 6 months in length) then I would list on AACOMAS and find contact info for it if possible. Many secondaries do not ask for the contact info, but some do.

How long after the app is verified do the secondaries usually get sent out?

My primary was released 6/24 and I have received most of my secondaries. It depends on the school, some send them out a week or two later and some havent sent them to anyone yet. Yes pcom, I'm talking about you....

If the experience was significant either in length of time (at LEAST 6 months) or in developing your character (should prob still be 6 months in length) then I would list on AACOMAS and find contact info for it if possible. Many secondaries do not ask for the contact info, but some do.

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it. :thumbup:

Does anyone know why, when I go to the AACOMAS Application Review (to print, save as PDF, etc.), the extracurricular/employment descriptions don't come up? Like the 750 character little paragraphs.
Schools will still get these correct?

Some small (stupid questions)...

Do the names of the course have to be exact as in the transcript? Some of my classes have real long names so they don't fully show up in the transcript, but I wrote full names on the application.

Also, they don't have "Chemistry" as an option on the Subject category (quite unusual thing I should say :laugh:). Do I just put "Other Science" for that?

Thanks!

I'm already verified, but I took a philosophy class as an undergraduate and I didn't label it as "behavioral science", which means that I'm missing the credit requisites for some schools that require 6 credits. Is there a way I can change this classification in AACOMAS?

I'm already verified, but I took a philosophy class as an undergraduate and I didn't label it as "behavioral science", which means that I'm missing the credit requisites for some schools that require 6 credits. Is there a way I can change this classification in AACOMAS?

AACOMAS told me they would update coursework provided a transcript. Perhaps they will allow you to make the change.

Some small (stupid questions)...

Do the names of the course have to be exact as in the transcript? Some of my classes have real long names so they don't fully show up in the transcript, but I wrote full names on the application.

Also, they don't have "Chemistry" as an option on the Subject category (quite unusual thing I should say :laugh:). Do I just put "Other Science" for that?

Thanks!

It's safest to put it as is on the transcript. My transcript had 1-2 typos that I fixed, but I don't recommend taking any chances.

I believe Inorganic Chemistry is a subject?

Can someone copy and paste his/her personal statement from word document to AACOMAS?

AACOMAS asks for Total hrs and Average weekly hours. One of my volunteer experiences is 100 hrs spanning 4 years. Do I really need to break that total into weekly hrs or can I just leave that field blank?

Thx. And, no need to speculate as to the "quality" of this volunteer work, by nature the work was blocks of time spread few and far between, but substantial nonetheless. Thanks!:laugh:

AACOMAS asks for Total hrs and Average weekly hours. One of my volunteer experiences is 100 hrs spanning 4 years. Do I really need to break that total into weekly hrs or can I just leave that field blank?

Thx. And, no need to speculate as to the "quality" of this volunteer work, by nature the work was blocks of time spread few and far between, but substantial nonetheless. Thanks!:laugh:

I had the same problem when entering my research info. One week, I could be in the lab for 20+ hours, and others I could be in there for only 2 or 3, depending on what my bacteria felt like doing that week. So, I just picked a number in between 20 and 2 and put 12. I then explained in the summary section that I was in the lab anywhere from 2 to 20 hours. Not sure if this is the best way to handle it, but that's how I tackled it.

I had the same problem when entering my research info. One week, I could be in the lab for 20+ hours, and others I could be in there for only 2 or 3, depending on what my bacteria felt like doing that week. So, I just picked a number in between 20 and 2 and put 12. I then explained in the summary section that I was in the lab anywhere from 2 to 20 hours. Not sure if this is the best way to handle it, but that's how I tackled it.

I think this is a good way to do it. Or if you had a typical week, that could be your 'average' weekly hours, then explain in the summary any fluctuations

I took a class titled "Research" through the biology department at my school and it involved doing research in a lab.

Would this be listed as a biology course? Does it count as a science course?

I took a class titled "Research" through the biology department at my school and it involved doing research in a lab.

Would this be listed as a biology course? Does it count as a science course?

List it as such. If anything, AACOMAS will remove it and list it where appropriate... but don't count yourself out of raising your sGPA (if it can indeed raise it).

I was in a joint-enrolled pharmacy tech program at my local technical college. Since it is part of pharmacy, should I list them as science classes? The classes are PHAR#### Thanks..

I just received my first mcat score today, and I plan on retaking on August 10th. If I submit my score from today and put that I'm planning on retaking, will most schools wait until my second set of scores come through, or will they send out rejections based on my first score? I submitted my primary app without my scores already, just need to add them.

I noticed some areas where I made a mistake and have already been verified.

1. I shadowed a DO periodically from October to January. I left it open ended initially because I was going to go back, but couldn't because I moved. I copied over my last application and forgot to make changes properly.

2. I moved in July. I volunteered at a place from Nov to June 2012. I had already submitted before my move and again didn't think to change back after my move.

Now I am already verified and recieving secondaries. What should I do?

I submitted my application, but it seems i made a slight mistake on the semester hours for one of my classes. Can I change it now, or will the whole process has to restart?

Thanks.

i submitted my primary on 7/22, how long will it take me to get verified? i am worried that I applied too late, am I still okay?

Did those of you who submitted get a confirmation email? I got one from TMDSAS and AMCAS, but not one from AACOMAS. It says that I am "processing." Seems like it is taking a while to get verified.

I just received my first mcat score today, and I plan on retaking on August 10th. If I submit my score from today and put that I'm planning on retaking, will most schools wait until my second set of scores come through, or will they send out rejections based on my first score? I submitted my primary app without my scores already, just need to add them.
I'm pretty sure it depends on the school. I'm in the same boat as you...hoping that my application goes to the bottom of the list to get re-reviewed and not just tossed in the trash.

Hey guys.

I just wanted to pop in and remind you to double and triple check your coursework (and everything else). I forgot to input my physics 2 class and grade onto AACOMAS and ended up getting verified without it. It is clearly on my transcript, so AACOMAS should've caught it, but I should've seen it as well. This is probably delaying my application, so I wanted to save you all the trouble.

Did those of you who submitted get a confirmation email? I got one from TMDSAS and AMCAS, but not one from AACOMAS. It says that I am "processing." Seems like it is taking a while to get verified.

No, there is no email. They email you an update (verified or not-verified) and that's it.