*~*~* Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2012-2013 *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When I'm describing my volunteer activities that are still ongoing, should I write in the past or present tense? The past tense feels more natural and sounds better to me, but they're still ongoing so using the present tense would make sense. What tense did you guys use for activities that are still ongoing?

Members don't see this ad.

When I'm describing my volunteer activities that are still ongoing, should I write in the past or present tense? The past tense feels more natural and sounds better to me, but they're still ongoing so using the present tense would make sense. What tense did you guys use for activities that are still ongoing?

I used present tense for ongoing activities... but I worded it like: "Responsibilities include taking meeting minutes, hosting events..." etc. I tried to avoid using words like "my" or "I". It helps neutralize the past/present tense stuff, if that makes sense.

Is it ok to leave the amount of hours you've done blank if you just became elected to a position? I have recently been elected for a club but I have not began my duties yet? Also, Do college classes count if they were taken in high school towards my college degree?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if I did my grade replacement entries correctly? :/

the 1st time u took it is repeat 01, the retake u list as last repeat 01...

I know that, but what if the replacement isn't the same format? I listed it on the previous page of this thread, but I'll add it here again.

So during undergrad my Physics 1 looked like this:

Physics 1 Lecture; credits=3; grade=C
Physics 1 Lab; credits=1; grade=B

And my retake physics 1 looks like this:

Physics 1; credits=4; grade=A. <-- This school combined lecture and lab into one 4 credit course, whereas my undergraduate school separated them on the transcript.

So right now on my AACOMAS I have Physics 1 Lecture AND Physics 1 Lab as repeat01 and Physics 1 retake as last repeat01. Is that correct? I can't think of another way to do it, but I don't know if doing it this way is replacing my 3 credit physics lecture with a 4 credit class AND replacing my 1 credit physics lab with a 4 credit class.

Hi, I did research with one of the professors in my department. I did get credit for it so I was wondering whether this counts as an extra-curricular activity or not.

Also, where does shadowing go?

Last edited:
Hi, I did research with one of the professors in my department. I did get credit for it so I was wondering whether this counts as an extra-curricular activity or not.

Thanks for all the help.

Yeah I'd put it as EC.

Thanks, what about shadowing? Does that count as an EC? It's not paid after all...

I'm putting it as an EC. Everything besides school and work are going in my ECs.

Nobody else is wondering how to put in retakes where the transcript format is different? :/

For the subject, just put Dean's List... then for the description, list the semesters, like "Dean's List awarded for Spring 2009, Fall 2009, Spring 2010, Fall 2010 semesters".

I don't see a description section on the awards section? I want to put deans list for the different semesters as an award but all it asks is:

Name of award:
Organization:
Month received or awarded:
Year received or awarded:

Thanks, what about shadowing? Does that count as an EC? It's not paid after all...

Yup, it's an EC. Most of your entries will be under the EC/Volunteer tab. Shadowing, clinicals, research (unless it's paid... then it's work), community service, leadership, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see a description section on the awards section? I want to put deans list for the different semesters as an award but all it asks is:

Name of award:
Organization:
Month received or awarded:
Year received or awarded:

For name of award, put "Dean's List x [how many times you got it]"

They'll be able to see it on your transcript anyway.

Okay, I think I got all of my ECs in. I just described basically what I did in all of them, should I write a sentence about what I learned form these experiences? That's what my adviser told me to do but I kinda feel like it's just going to turn into some PS repetition. Should I be more concerned with conveying all the skills sets I have through my ECs/work experience?

Most of my clinical hours (face to face interaction vs. observation) are paid as I was an autism line therapist, but this is still legit, right?

Getting antsy and not getting any love in the official AACOMAS thread. Hoping someone with the answer just hasn't ventured into that thread yet, but will see this one.

So I retook Physics 1 at a different school. My undergrad transcript shows the following.

Physics 1 Lecture; 3 Credits; Grade=C
Physics 1 Lab; 1 Credit; Grade=B

The school I did the retake at groups the lecture and lab together, so that transcript shows the following.

Physics 1; 4 credits; Grade=A

Now, I understand the whole retake 01/last retake 01 thing, but how do I fill it out if the classes don't line up exactly on two separate transcripts? Right now my AACOMAS looks like this.

Physics 1 Lecture; 3 credits; grade=C == retake01
Physics 1 Lab; 1 credit; grade=B == retake01

Physics 1; 4 credits; grade=A == last retake 01

It seems logical to do it that way, but I don't know if it is doubling my retake credit (if that makes sense)? In other words, does AACOMAS think that I retook Physics 1 lecture and got it replaced with 4 credits AND retook physics 1 lab and got it replaced with 4 credits too?

Okay, I think I got all of my ECs in. I just described basically what I did in all of them, should I write a sentence about what I learned form these experiences? That's what my adviser told me to do but I kinda feel like it's just going to turn into some PS repetition. Should I be more concerned with conveying all the skills sets I have through my ECs/work experience?

Most of my clinical hours (face to face interaction vs. observation) are paid as I was an autism line therapist, but this is still legit, right?

I would put anything you got paid for in work experience.

I don't think clinical work gets weighed any differently than clinical volunteering...?

No, don't bother going into what you learned from the experience. You're right, it's just PS repetition. Just list what your responsibilities were... I think your skill sets will automatically be evident based on your responsibilities.

Yes, your clinical experience is still legit, lol. It might help to get some hospital experience though... since part of the goodness of hospital volunteering is getting used to the hospital culture/environment.

Yes, your clinical experience is still legit, lol. It might help to get some hospital experience though... since part of the goodness of hospital volunteering is getting used to the hospital culture/environment.

I did some shadowing in a hospital/clinical setting...madness, I tell you. I was just as happy as the doctor was when it was "paperwork time". LOL! :) Patients are intense, they asked me a lot of questions when I was sitting there all :eek:. Good practice for interviews!!! :)

Also, for paid experience, should I include mundane jobs aka working at college library, prime outlet store (gahhhh!!!!)...you get the idea!

I used grade replacement for about 4 grades and during 0 interviews was it even brought up. I received interviews at 7 schools, so it can't have been all that big of a deal to adcoms...

I did some shadowing in a hospital/clinical setting...madness, I tell you. I was just as happy as the doctor was when it was "paperwork time". LOL! :) Patients are intense, they asked me a lot of questions when I was sitting there all :eek:. Good practice for interviews!!! :)

Also, for paid experience, should I include mundane jobs aka working at college library, prime outlet store (gahhhh!!!!)...you get the idea!

Lol, welcome to what the profession is going to be like. I actually enjoyed talking with the patients... so many weird, cool stories.

Yes, mundane jobs count as work experience... assuming you spent a decent amount of time there.

Ha I was wondering the same thing. I worked at a bookstore one summer and it was miserable. Some of the non-medical experiences are the ones that made me work harder in school and in my medical experiences.

I used grade replacement for about 4 grades and during 0 interviews was it even brought up. I received interviews at 7 schools, so it can't have been all that big of a deal to adcoms...

I have a feeling mine will come up because my GPA was so low to begin with. What did you replace?

Lol, welcome to what the profession is going to be like. I actually enjoyed talking with the patients... so many weird, cool stories.

Yes, mundane jobs count as work experience... assuming you spent a decent amount of time there.

Thanks a lot! It is very patient of you to sit here and answer all of my pre-med questions!

I enjoy patient interaction as well, I am just the type of person who has to stare at the wall for about 45 min after I spend hours intensely listening to what people are saying to me/trying to problem solve/being randomly tested by the doctor on A&P. After 45 min I can rinse and repeat, I just need some alone time for contemplating, that's all.

Thanks a lot! It is very patient of you to sit here and answer all of my pre-med questions!

I enjoy patient interaction as well, I am just the type of person who has to stare at the wall for about 45 min after I spend hours intensely listening to what people are saying to me/trying to problem solve/being randomly tested by the doctor on A&P. After 45 min I can rinse and repeat, I just need some alone time for contemplating, that's all.

Ha, that's an interesting way to put it.

Honestly, I don't remember what they were anymore. I believe that it brought my sgpa up to 3.3 which isn't too far off from yours. I'd prepare responses to any questions that might come up (of course), but I don't think having used grade replacement is as big of a deal as it may seem. Best of luck with your applications!

I know that, but what if the replacement isn't the same format? I listed it on the previous page of this thread, but I'll add it here again.

So during undergrad my Physics 1 looked like this:

Physics 1 Lecture; credits=3; grade=C
Physics 1 Lab; credits=1; grade=B

And my retake physics 1 looks like this:

Physics 1; credits=4; grade=A. <-- This school combined lecture and lab into one 4 credit course, whereas my undergraduate school separated them on the transcript.

So right now on my AACOMAS I have Physics 1 Lecture AND Physics 1 Lab as repeat01 and Physics 1 retake as last repeat01. Is that correct? I can't think of another way to do it, but I don't know if doing it this way is replacing my 3 credit physics lecture with a 4 credit class AND replacing my 1 credit physics lab with a 4 credit class.

same with my ochem retake, the lab was combined the 2nd time. i figure when u turn in ur app to be processed, accomas will figure it out. There really isn't much we can do. As long as the repeat is the same # of units or more than the one u r trying to replace then we should be fine!

same with my ochem retake, the lab was combined the 2nd time. i figure when u turn in ur app to be processed, accomas will figure it out. There really isn't much we can do. As long as the repeat is the same # of units or more than the one u r trying to replace then we should be fine!

Ok thanks, I hope it works out!

My friend wrote what he learned from each experience and how it helped him acquire skills that will be used as a doctor. He now goes to Davis med school. I'm sure you didn't list all of these in your PS, so it doesn't hurt to go into detail.

I plan on submitting on June 1st and just applying to one school until I finish up with my MCAT in july. In the meantime I only have around 70 hours of research and was hoping to have 100 on my application when I applied. I will have 100 by august, will accomas let me change the number of hours, or add any new EC in the beginning of august after I receive my scores and decide to apply to other schools?

Not sure, but an additional 30 hours (4 days) won't make or break your application.

Not sure, but an additional 30 hours (4 days) won't make or break your application.

I just feel like 100 sounds better than 70, It's not much of a difference in reality, but on paper I feel like it may just seem better.

i had to edit some things and resubmit last cycle. when i called aacomas the woman i spoke to told me they resend an updated version of the primary to schools.

i had to edit some things and resubmit last cycle. when i called aacomas the woman i spoke to told me they resend an updated version of the primary to schools.

does it automatically send once you edit it? Because I am only applying to one school at first, then after I edit it, the rest of the schools should have my primary saying that i did 100hrs right?
Or must you call and have them do it?

does it automatically send once you edit it? Because I am only applying to one school at first, then after I edit it, the rest of the schools should have my primary saying that i did 100hrs right?
Or must you call and have them do it?

No need to call. It happens automatically from what I understand. If you need confirmation call the AACOMAS hotline -- they are very helpful.

I updated my app multiple times from when I applied. It was all because of the release of grades at the end of the semester. It was very easy and the schools got the updates automatically no problem.

Some people are saying to wait to submit until your spring grades, but you guys are saying that you submitted and just had it edited later no problem?

I would wait to submit till you have your spring grades. (since most students have their grades back by the end of May). If you have summer classes or fall classes those grades will (for summer) and may (for fall) play a huge role in acceptance. I was required to send in my summer grades before interviews were issued and my fall grades were of interest to multiple schools.

I used present tense for ongoing activities... but I worded it like: "Responsibilities include taking meeting minutes, hosting events..." etc. I tried to avoid using words like "my" or "I". It helps neutralize the past/present tense stuff, if that makes sense.

Iliketoytles I wanted to ask you if it would be ok to leave the "end date" section of the ongoing activity completely blank? Also, in the total hours completed box, are we able to type something like "50 hours (ongoing)" or do we have to explain in the description that we will be continuing with this activity for x amount of additional months.
i noticed you provided some examples of how you listed some of your EC activities, would you mind sharing an example of an in-progress activity with its description.

really? but fall grades do not come out until december? Also, Do I put in my future classes, such as classes for fall and spring 2013? or just stop at my summer classes?

Put your future classes. The reason why fall grades play a factor is that for all of us who are unfortunate to have had at one point or will have a wait list position fall can be a make or break semester. Plus remember that interviews go through spring semester so adding fall grades will help.

Iliketoytles I wanted to ask you if it would be ok to leave the "end date" section of the ongoing activity completely blank? Also, in the total hours completed box, are we able to type something like "50 hours (ongoing)" or do we have to explain in the description that we will be continuing with this activity for x amount of additional months.
i noticed you provided some examples of how you listed some of your EC activities, would you mind sharing an example of an in-progress activity with its description.

Yes, if it's an ongoing activity you leave the end-date blank. For total hours, put the amount of time you have accumulated thus far. When they see it's an ongoing activity, they'll know that you'll be getting more hours (and you can always send them update letters later on). You don't need to add anything special in the description if it's ongoing... they can tell it is because you didn't put an end date.

An in-progress activity would have the same type of description. Nothing different about it... just put what it is and what your responsibilities are.

Example...

Position Title: President

Name of Organization: Chemistry society

Description: This organization helps promote chemistry by hosting speakers, participating in campus activities, and emphasizing chemistry research. President responsibilities include [blah blah]

Total hours: 95
Weekly hours: 3
Start date/year: May 2012
End date/year: [blank]

Just made that up real quick... but you get the idea.

Thank you!

yes, if it's an ongoing activity you leave the end-date blank. For total hours, put the amount of time you have accumulated thus far. When they see it's an ongoing activity, they'll know that you'll be getting more hours (and you can always send them update letters later on). You don't need to add anything special in the description if it's ongoing... They can tell it is because you didn't put an end date.

An in-progress activity would have the same type of description. Nothing different about it... Just put what it is and what your responsibilities are.

Example...

position title: President

name of organization: Chemistry society

description: This organization helps promote chemistry by hosting speakers, participating in campus activities, and emphasizing chemistry research. President responsibilities include [blah blah]

total hours: 95
weekly hours: 3
start date/year: May 2012
end date/year: [blank]

just made that up real quick... But you get the idea.

What do you put when your course includes the lab? Do you just put the number of hours, or do you end the the course name with a "(with lab)" attached?

What do you put when your course includes the lab? Do you just put the number of hours, or do you end the the course name with a "(with lab)" attached?

I put it in exactly as it appears on my transcript. When I applied in 2011 my AMCAS/AACOMAS got verified and I (presumably) was given credit for completing the lab even though I didn't fill out "lab" on the application. I think it's common enough for schools to combine lecture/lab that AMCAS/AACOMAS know what a 4 credit physics class or 5 credit gen chem class mean.

I also went to a pretty well known pre-med school, so maybe they just assumed that school grouped lab together sometimes. I don't know for sure, but it worked when I applied two years ago.

Edit: So here's what a few of my classes look like.

Introduction to Chemistry I: 4 credits
General Chemistry II Lecture: 3 credits
General Chemistry II Lab: 1 credit
Physics 1 Lecture: 3 credits
Physics 1 Lab: 1 credit

For whatever reason my undergrad changed the name of the chem class from "intro to chem" to "general chem" even though they were both the pre-med chem class. As you can see, my hem 1 was lab+lecture combined and chem 2 was separate.

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm thinking about taking some courses at my city college after I graduate, but I'm still unsure of what exactly I'm going to take. Should I still list that on my AACOMAS? If its not opened when I register, I obviously won't take it...so if I put it on, can I take it off later after submission? Or if I don't put it on, can I add it on after submission?

Thank you!

Hi all, I'm thinking about taking some courses at my city college after I graduate, but I'm still unsure of what exactly I'm going to take. Should I still list that on my AACOMAS? If its not opened when I register, I obviously won't take it...so if I put it on, can I take it off later after submission? Or if I don't put it on, can I add it on after submission?

Thank you!

I think you can put classes as "pending" or "planned."