*~*~* Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2012-2013 *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you do that you will be lying.

50laugh.gif

Members don't see this ad.

You can list psychology classes as a behavioral science. Look in the instruction manual https://aacomas.aacom.org/survey/views/client/aacomas/collegesInstructions7.html Psychology is under that category.

If it's cross-listed with Neuro you might be able to try listing it as an "other science". Which listing appears on your transcript? Both?

I took American Sign language. Most all American universities count that as a foreign language now. Kind of strange though because there's nothing foreign about it. American Sign language is an American language.

While not foreign in the traditional sense, it is a distinct, separate language and this is what's important, much more than whether it's genuinely foreign or not.

If you do that you will be lying.

When you shadow you do not volunteer. Shadowing is not work. It is not extracurricular either as its not an educational program or a part of any educational program. So I do not understand how you can add it under that section without lying.

Who told you that? This is complete misinformation and a ridiculous reason to leave off shadowing hours on your primary. AdComs will not only find it acceptable but I expect they'll want to see it there. I agree that it doesn't match the label used by AACOMAS, but this is the best possible fit.

To answer that guy's other questions, you don't have to include contact info with every experience, as it is highly unlikely they will take the time to verify each one individually. But certainly be safe and have them ready in case you're asked for them.

I would like to know the same. Can someone answer this?

What exactly do you guys mean by "hours spent for the class"? Still, I'm pretty sure you use the credit hours earned. Avoid using something off the unofficial transcript when there's a discrepancy/confusion as AACOMAS only gets your officials.

When you shadow you do not volunteer. Shadowing is not work. It is not extracurricular either as its not an educational program or a part of any educational program. So I do not understand how you can add it under that section without lying.

Calm down there chief. I've been shadowing a physician all summer, and every 2-3 weeks they give me a mini research assignment based on a patient we had that day; could be the link between a certain condition and the patients, therapeutic trends, pharmacologic interactions, etc. I would give mini presentations on what I found after patient rounds. I got a lot more than I bargained for.

I also had the opportunity to shadow a neuropathologist, and when not seeing patients, they are teaching me diagnostics on the microscope. You need to slow your role and realize that not all "shadowing" is merely shadowing, and that in many cases, it warrants much more merit than you assert.

Good day to you sir.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. was just saying what is in the instructional manual. In the aacomas instruction manual it has psychology listed in the category under "behavioral sciences".

2. American Sign Language is a language. William C. Stokoe, Jr. did extensive research on the language proving it is a language.

3. I never said he should leave off shadowing. I just merely stated he should not lie by listing it as something its not. I also asked how it should be listed; how he can list it without the possibility of there being lying perceived.

Basically, all I am saying is we should be careful how we fill out our aacomas application. Submitting an aacomas application with false or misleading information can get you into trouble.

4. "hours spent for the class"?? I also have no idea what that means. I do believe though, whoever posted that means "hours in class". If that's the case then that one is self-explanatory. Nevertheless, I would like an answer to that as well. I am curious what is meant by that.

* Well, it could go either way. It really just depends on which listing is on his transcript.

* Precisely.

* I agree that you should be as forthcoming as possible on your application. But this is the generally accepted spot to put shadowing in, and will in no way be considered lying to any AdCom. Even ignoring that, I don't see how listing shadowing as an EC would be lying. It is an activity significant to this application, which you chose to do outside of your regular academic and work obligations.

* Yeah, always go with what they can see on your official transcript.

Please at least know the definitions of words before posting. Extracurricular means NOT related to education, which is why shadowing belongs in that section.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extracurricular_activity

I know you're trying to help but you're spreading quite a bit of misinformation on this thread.

I do not have tax returns as I am not, legally, required to file.

If you have no taxable income, then I don't know what kind of proof aacomas would require to verify how much you are making or whatever. Your best bet, as in most cases with primary application questions, is to call it email them. They respond quickly, and can give you much more definitive answers than other pre-mess on a Internet forum can.
As for the whole ASL matter, all I meant to say was that ASL=\=English, therefore it is a foreign language. We could discuss the historic roots of ASL all day long but that's beside the point.
I think the idea that shadowing is an extracurricular activity has been pretty well explained. It IS meant to be a learning activity outside of a normal classroom setting.
Good luck to you and others who are applying this cycle.

If you have no taxable income, then I don't know what kind of proof aacomas would require to verify how much you are making or whatever. Your best bet, as in most cases with primary application questions, is to call it email them. They respond quickly, and can give you much more definitive answers than other pre-mess on a Internet forum can.
As for the whole ASL matter, all I meant to say was that ASL=\=English, therefore it is a foreign language. We could discuss the historic roots of ASL all day long but that's beside the point.
I think the idea that shadowing is an extracurricular activity has been pretty well explained. It IS meant to be a learning activity outside of a normal classroom setting.
Good luck to you and others who are applying this cycle.

Not a foreign language. Different mode of communication. Deaf people can still read and write English. Deaf persons think in english when they want to communicate in ASL. Not a foreign language. Different mode of communication.

Not a foreign language. Different mode of communication. Deaf people can still read and write English. Deaf persons think in english when they want to communicate in ASL. Not a foreign language. Different mode of communication.

Quick question for you. Are you
Deaf? If not, how could you have any idea what language they think in? Also, while it may be true that many Deaf people know how to read and write English, for many it is a second language to them. Also, ASL is a complete and full language independent of English. I'm afraid your comment shows how little experience you actually have with Deaf culture and language.

No. You and I -just- agreed that ASL qualifies as a language. Now it's just a different mode of communication?

While I agree that using French origins is a stretch for defining ASL as a foreign language, it makes perfect sense that it's considered such, particularly by AdComs, as it demonstrates many qualities about you as a candidate. I feel like you're getting really hung up on semantics.

When is the last "acceptable" date for a prospective student to submit the AACOMAS? Not the actual deadline, but the date when I should be starting to fill out the application?

Well the general consensus is to fill it out and submit as soon as you possibly can. Most schools use rolling admissions, which basically means first come first served. When is the latest you can turn it in? March or whenever the "official" deadline is, but the longer you wait, the harder it is to get into schools. Good luck

"Extracurricular activities are opportunities to engage in extensions of academic activities and/or non-academic activities under school auspices."
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-extracurricular-activities.htm

That's the definition I was paraphrasing. The content of my post is consistent with that definition.

Furthermore, your statement is wrong about I am only giving false information. Everything I stated, for example, about American Sign language has been factual and true.
That's one definition of "extracurricular." Colloquially, "extracurricular" carries a more general definition that includes anything done outside of normal schoolwork.

You should define your extracurricular activities in broad terms -- many applicants make the mistake of thinking of them solely as school-sponsored groups such as yearbook, band or football. Not so. Most community and family activities are also "extracurricular."
Source

People have always put shadowing as an extracurricular experience. Do some searching. I don't disagree with your ASL stance, but you've made 3 posts now telling other applicants that they are lying for listing shadowing as extracurricular, which simply isn't true.

Psych courses classfied as bio? I have read a little bit here and maybe I should call but for amcas, you can classify them as bio if you feel that the majority of the content was bio and amcas will change them if they disagree. So for that there is no real penalty. I heard for amcas, psychobio but even abnormal psych was able to be classified as bio. Is aacomas different?

Quarter conversions? These seems odd to me, there is not scale
Quarter Hours Semester Hours
1 0.7
2 1.3
3 2.0
4 2.7
5 3.3
6 4.0
7 4.7
8 5.3
9 6.0
10 6.7

I calculated if there was a scale version and my science would be 3.08 but with this weird conversion it's a 3.0

Anyone else had this work out against them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

A couple questions:

1). For AACOMAS, is sociology (a behavorial science) included in the sgpa calculation?

2). Can the grade in a course such as "Human Heredity" (3 semesters hours) taken in the SMP replace a course such as "Genetics" (3 semester hours) taken in an undergraduate institution, assuming grade replacement?

Also, can the grade in "Embryology" (3 semester hours) taken in the SMP replace the same course (3 semester hours) taken in undergrad, also assuming grade replacement?

Thanks!

EDIT: The Embryology course taken at my undergraduate institution was a 4 semester hour class.

Hi guys,

A couple questions:

1). For AACOMAS, is sociology (a behavorial science) included in the sgpa calculation?

2). Can the grade in a course such as "Human Heredity" (3 semesters hours) taken in the SMP replace a course such as "Genetics" (3 semester hours) taken in an undergraduate institution, assuming grade replacement?

Also, can the grade in "Embryology" (3 semester hours) taken in the SMP replace the same course (3 semester hours) taken in undergrad, also assuming grade replacement?

Thanks!

EDIT: The Embryology course taken at my undergraduate institution was a 4 semester hour class.

Ok, as has been posted previously on this thread (I know, it's long, but reading through before asking questions will usually answer them for you) grade replacement only works if the content of the two classes is identical and the credits match up with or exceed the number of credits from the original class. AACOMAS is the final, and only, definitive word on what class can replace what other class. They answer the phone/emails pretty quickly in my experience. I would ask them for a real answer!

Psych courses classfied as bio? I have read a little bit here and maybe I should call but for amcas, you can classify them as bio if you feel that the majority of the content was bio and amcas will change them if they disagree. So for that there is no real penalty. I heard for amcas, psychobio but even abnormal psych was able to be classified as bio. Is aacomas different?

Quarter conversions? These seems odd to me, there is not scale
Quarter HoursSemester Hours

I calculated if there was a scale version and my science would be 3.08 but with this weird conversion it's a 3.0

Anyone else had this work out against them?

Whew! Quarter conversions! Not my strong suit, but there was a good scale conversion posted somewhere on this thread. I would just link it for you if I wasn't on my phone.
Also, about counting your psych class as bio, the AACOMAS instructions have a clear listing of what types of classes fall under which categories. Again, I can't link that for you, but it's there in the instructions! Good luck

Whew! Quarter conversions! Not my strong suit, but there was a good scale conversion posted somewhere on this thread. I would just link it for you if I wasn't on my phone.
Also, about counting your psych class as bio, the AACOMAS instructions have a clear listing of what types of classes fall under which categories. Again, I can't link that for you, but it's there in the instructions! Good luck

I copied and pasted it from there recommendation, I can't figure out why they would not scale it. It's disappointing to see that it actually hurts me.

I will try to call them to figure out what makes it a sciences. I was hoping it was similar to amcas but sounds like it is not.

Thanks for your repy

Where should I put shadowing in the application? Can someone provide examples on how to put them?

Where should I put shadowing in the application? Can someone provide examples on how to put them?
:laugh: I was debating a guy above whose posts mysteriously disappeared on this.

Shadowing goes in the EC, Volunteer, and Community Service section. This is what one of mine looks like:

Position Title: Trauma Surgery Job Shadow
Name of Organization: *hospital name*

Description: Carried a trauma pager 24/7. Responded to the emergency department for trauma pages when available. Observed the trauma process from arrival in the emergency department to hospital admittance. During the one year shadow I responded to approximately 30 pages and observed two trauma surgeries. Two out of the four trauma surgeons were osteopathic physicians and the majority of my experiences were with them. One of the surgeries I observed was performed by an osteopathic trauma surgeon.
Mine is pretty concise; you could spend more time explaining if needed.

:laugh: I was debating a guy above whose posts mysteriously disappeared on this.

Shadowing goes in the EC, Volunteer, and Community Service section. This is what one of mine looks like:

Mine is pretty concise; you could spend more time explaining if needed.
Thanks

Sorry if this is in the wrong section... I got a little lost in these threads.

But my question is: is it considered late to start applying to DO school now? When did it first come out? I have my PS and EC's and everything done. Just have to submit it and send my transcripts and MCAT score in. Also, I don't have a LOR from a DO. Is that going to hurt my chances?

Stats:
I'm from CA.
~3.10 GPA, 25 MCAT

Any help and guidance would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Sorry if this is in the wrong section... I got a little lost in these threads.

But my question is: is it considered late to start applying to DO school now? When did it first come out? I have my PS and EC's and everything done. Just have to submit it and send my transcripts and MCAT score in. Also, I don't have a LOR from a DO. Is that going to hurt my chances?

Stats:
I'm from CA.
~3.10 GPA, 25 MCAT

Any help and guidance would be really appreciated. Thanks!

You can always squeeze a few more opinions out of the What Are My Chances subsection... but I'll tell you that your numbers are similar to mine (~3.1 all around with a 27), and mine are considered low-end acceptable/reaching even after being praised for my ECs. Most people told me to apply widely and I'd have a decent shot... but I also asked this question back at the end of June. No DO LOR will mostly hurt you at schools that require/highly recommend one.

The way I see it, the higher your stats, the later you can risk applying. That's just the way rolling admissions work... earlier applicants tend to compete with fewer people for more seats. You can apply now, but know that you wouldn't be verified until mid-late September. I'm on the fence, but if money is an issue, I would wait. You would have to apply pretty widely (much like I did). Also, if you don't get in this cycle and you applied, you will be considered a reapplicant at many schools... this alters the process somehow, but someone who knows more would have to tell you.

Can someone tell me if that is OK?

This is the way I put my physician shadowing:

Position title: Physician Shadow

Name of Organization: John Doe Medical Clinic

Description: I observed for six days Dr. John Doe D.O. who is an internist treating patients by taking history, performing physical examinations, ordering treatments, doing patients' teaching about health maintenance, and making referrals if necessary.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me if that is OK?

This is the way I put my physician shadowing:

Position title: Physician Shadow

Name of Organization: John Doe Medical Clinic

Description: I observed Dr. John Doe D.O. who is an internist for four days treating patients by taking history, performing physical examinations, ordering treatments, doing patients' teaching about health maintenance, and making referrals if necessary.

Sounds decent enough. Personally I would maybe change the wording to sound a little clearer, but I'm not one to cramp someone's personal style so wrote it how you want. I would give you an example direct from my aacomas app but my stupid phone won't pull it up.
Basically what I put for the description was:
I observed Dr. So and So, who works in internal medicine at "clinic". I observed as he treated patients for a wide variety of illnesses such as hyperlipidemia, hypertension, diabetes, heart disease, seasonal allergies, and more. I was impressed by the way he was able to educate his patients about their bodies and make them equal partners in their own health care...blah blah blah.

Someone once told me that every field you fill out is a chance for you to set yourself apart, say who you are, and get them interested in knowing more about you. Some have said to hold back on the primary and that if you give up the best material to write about you won't have anything left for the secondaries. I think that if you are sure about your choice to go into medicine and have had sufficient experience to make that choice, you could sit and write pages and pages to explain everything that has shaped you into the kind of person that would make a good physician. The first and most important person you have to convince that you are ready for it is yourself, and if you're really convinced, it won't be hard to convince others.
Sorry, didn't mean to rant, but thats my $0.02. Lol

Sounds decent enough. Personally I would maybe change the wording to sound a little clearer, but I'm not one to cramp someone's personal style so wrote it how you want. I would give you an example direct from my aacomas app but my stupid phone won't pull it up.
Basically what I put for the description was:
I observed Dr. So and So, who works in internal medicine at "clinic". I observed as he treated patients for a wide variety of illnesses such as hyperlipidemia, hypertension, diabetes, heart disease, seasonal allergies, and more. I was impressed by the way he was able to educate his patients about their bodies and make them equal partners in their own health care...blah blah blah.

Someone once told me that every field you fill out is a chance for you to set yourself apart, say who you are, and get them interested in knowing more about you. Some have said to hold back on the primary and that if you give up the best material to write about you won't have anything left for the secondaries. I think that if you are sure about your choice to go into medicine and have had sufficient experience to make that choice, you could sit and write pages and pages to explain everything that has shaped you into the kind of person that would make a good physician. The first and most important person you have to convince that you are ready for it is yourself, and if you're really convinced, it won't be hard to convince others.
Sorry, didn't mean to rant, but thats my $0.02. Lol
Your suggestions sound even better...thanks

I searched through this thread (briefly) but didn't see an answer. Anyhow, does anyone know how to update my courses/grades while my application is still being processed? My official summer grades were finally posted last week and I would like to update my application since this was a retake. I emailed AACOMAS and all I was told was "you can update now."

Thanks.

I searched through this thread (briefly) but didn't see an answer. Anyhow, does anyone know how to update my courses/grades while my application is still being processed? My official summer grades were finally posted last week and I would like to update my application since this was a retake. I emailed AACOMAS and all I was told was "you can update now."

Thanks.

Pretty sure you can go and add/edit coursework under the coursework session just like you did to add classes in the first place. Then you just submit again (no new payment needed unless you add more schools) and the you wait for them to reverify and release again. Bingo

So I called aacomas today and I was shocked at how unhelpful they were. Aamc is a million times better.

I called inquiring about how to categorize community service in which I received a stipend. Aamc said I could classify it either so I put in under CS and stated that I received stipend.

Aacomas said she cannot provide with me more information, so I asked if it matter, and she said it does matter but she cannot tell me how to classify it. So does anyone know? If there is money involved, must it be considered work? If that is the case do I specify the stipend and total hours?

Is it officially true that until you have been verified you can make changes? Someone said that schools will receive multiple copies does that mean schools see the copy submitted before it is verified?

Im sure this has been asked before but i cant cant find the post.

I attended a different university for 2009-2010 and I am now at a newer one (from fall 2010-present). Must I also send the transcript from my previous institution to aacomas?

Thanks!

If there is money involved, must it be considered work? If that is the case do I specify the stipend and total hours?

Not necessarily. A lot of volunteer activities can involve a stipend or a small hourly wage. My volunteer ambulance service pays us a few dollars an hour to cover gas and food, but it's still definitely a volunteer activity. Take your stipend amount and divide it by how many hours you volunteered. If it's less than minimum wage, you should have no problems justifying it as a volunteer activity. You may want to list the fact that you were given a stipend just to be safe.

Im sure this has been asked before but i cant cant find the post.

I attended a different university for 2009-2010 and I am now at a newer one (from fall 2010-present). Must I also send the transcript from my previous institution to aacomas?

Thanks!

Yes, you need to send transcripts from all colleges/universities you attended.

So, my application was verified last week. If I understand correctly, the primary will (or should) be released to schools sometime today.

My new MCAT score was released today. So, if the app is sent to schools before the AACOMAS verifies the new numbers in the system, will it be a full week before schools are updated? Or is it an automatic kind of thing?

So, if the app is sent to schools before the AACOMAS verifies the new numbers in the system, will it be a full week before schools are updated?
Yep. Applications/updates are sent to schools every Tuesday morning, so anything that's not in by then has to wait a week. Same thing happened to me with my MCAT score.

I am unable to fit the names of my awards and scholarships in the aforementioned section of the application (you are only allotted 30 characters). Should I put them in the work experience or extracurricular sections or just shorten them with no explanation? I wouldn't mind putting an explanation of what each award is and how they are awarded as well. I feel like this section lacks any real information. For example the Swenson scholarship means nothing to somebody from outside my area but it's a 4 year full ride undergraduate scholarship.

These are the names -
Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Assistant Award: 2008
UMD Peterson Memorial Scholarship: 2009
Casmir Ilenda Award for Outstanding Undergraduate Research
Moses Passer Memorial Fellowship: 2010
John C. Cothran Memorial Fellowship: 2011
Departmental Honors: 2009

So I have tried twice to send my MCAT scores to AACOMAS, but it still says that they have not received my MCAT score. I definitely typed in the correct ID number. What do I do?

So I have tried twice to send my MCAT scores to AACOMAS, but it still says that they have not received my MCAT score. I definitely typed in the correct ID number. What do I do?

It's not instant, it can take a few days for them to process the score and post it to your application. If you sent it more than a week ago then you may want to contact them to check the status, but otherwise I'd just hang on.

I been trying to add my classes in chronological order as they appear on my transcript but when I log out and log back into AACOMAS the classes are out of order. Does this matter since it can be sorted by pressing the term year button? When I press the button it does sort it by term and year but the classes are still out of order in each term.

You submitted your scores fine, you just did not verify your scores. I made the same mistake. You need to go to the MCAT website (where you got your scores) and have them send your scores out to AACOMAS, AMCAS, and any other schools/programs you specify. It is easy, just check a few boxes and submit. After doing this, my scores appeared within 24 hours.

You submitted your scores fine, you just did not verify your scores. I made the same mistake. You need to go to the MCAT website (where you got your scores) and have them send your scores out to AACOMAS, AMCAS, and any other schools/programs you specify. It is easy, just check a few boxes and submit. After doing this, my scores appeared within 24 hours.

I submitted my application today. How long should I expect to wait before I hear back? (How long does the processing take?) Will schools email me secondary applications? Will they all come within a month or will they come periodically throughout the semester?

Thank you!
:xf::luck:

It's taking 5+ weeks to get verified and released. I submitted 8/10 and still haven't been verified. I think most secondaries get sent out within a week after being released.

Is it bad to leave the awards, honors etc part blank. Other than dean's list and some tiny scholarship I cannot think of anything meaningful to put into this section.

Does anyone know how long it takes after you submit your COMPLETE primary application to become verified?

... And after verification how long does it take for each school to review your application and send out secondaries?

Also can you send back secondaries before your letters of recommendation are sent out to each school?

Thanks...

Does anyone know how long it takes after you submit your COMPLETE primary application to become verified?

... And after verification how long does it take for each school to review your application and send out secondaries?

Also can you send back secondaries before your letters of recommendation are sent out to each school?

Thanks...

1. it can take up to 6 weeks to be verified (i was in about 4 weeks but i submitted first week or july for a first week of aug verification)

2. Depends on the school, some schools will send u an automatic secondary if u meet some cut off (i got some the day of), some will send u an automatic secondary for no reason at all, some can reject pre secondary, it just comes down to the school.

3. Depends on the school again, some schools prefer this method, but i havent run into too many problems with the order everything is received as long as they are close.

Hope i helped good luck! =)

Is it bad to leave the awards, honors etc part blank. Other than dean's list and some tiny scholarship I cannot think of anything meaningful to put into this section.

I listed Dean's list, couldn't hurt, ive seen others list it as well

I was rushing to submit my app for processing and noticed I put some dates in wrong (ie, college activity ending in 2012 when I graduated in 2011!) Do I email them to correct it?

I was rushing to submit my app for processing and noticed I put some dates in wrong (ie, college activity ending in 2012 when I graduated in 2011!) Do I email them to correct it?
Just now? I think you can go back and change it.

Quick Question: do Clinical Micro, Clinical biochem, clinical hematology, clinical cell and tissue belong in the biology section? Because my counselor said they do not count for sGPA in AAMC, but I don't know about AACOMAS. I filled them in as "other-science". I'm not sure if I can even fix it if i was wrong.

Quick Question: do Clinical Micro, Clinical biochem, clinical hematology, clinical cell and tissue belong in the biology section? Because my counselor said they do not count for sGPA in AAMC, but I don't know about AACOMAS. I filled them in as "other-science". I'm not sure if I can even fix it if i was wrong.

That's a very good question. I think that AACOMAS will be the best one to answer that particular question as I think it could possibly be described either way. Just shoot them an email or call them up. They are pretty helpful.