*~*~* Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2012-2013 *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone had their MCAT verified yet?

Not yet, but I got my score yesterday. AMCAS already verified it though.

Members don't see this ad.

Usually takes like 3-4 business days... but no worries if it hasn't shown up just yet, ACMAS has to release them to AACOMAS.

Even thought AACOMAS hasn't opened up for the next cycle yet can we send our transcripts in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Even thought AACOMAS hasn't opened up for the next cycle yet can we send our transcripts in?
AACOMAS has opened for the 2012-2013 cycle... Hence the thread. Send those transcripts, unless you are talking about 2013-2014 in which case don't...

when we list our extracurricular activities, do we need to list them in chronological order, like a resume? i ask this in case a new activity comes up recently, i would have to put it at the bottom instead of the time, thus breaking the chronological order

I just had to reschedule my MCAT (first time taking it) to mid-July because my grandfather just came down with a medical emergency. Should I simply apply on the first day or wait until the exam scores are released? Everything else on my application is ready.

when we list our extracurricular activities, do we need to list them in chronological order, like a resume? i ask this in case a new activity comes up recently, i would have to put it at the bottom instead of the time, thus breaking the chronological order

No, you don't have to put it in chronological order.

AAMC has already submit my MCAT scores to AACOMAS. I know this because the request for my score to be sent to AACOMAS has changed from "pending" to "completed". Is there a place on AACOMAS application, where it says that they received my scores?

AAMC has already submit my MCAT scores to AACOMAS. I know this because the request for my score to be sent to AACOMAS has changed from "pending" to "completed". Is there a place on AACOMAS application, where it says that they received my scores?

Nope.

Well there's a place on the application where you can see your MCAT scores. If the most recent score isn't on there yet, then AACOMAS hasn't received it.

Did anyone experience changes to their calculated GPA change after verification?
Edit:by calculated GPA, i meant the GPA that AACOMAS gives you after you input all your coursework.

When describing shadowing experience, should I write down the specific names and locations of the doctors I shadowed?

I just had to reschedule my MCAT (first time taking it) to mid-July because my grandfather just came down with a medical emergency. Should I simply apply on the first day or wait until the exam scores are released? Everything else on my application is ready.
You can still apply the same day with pending scores. With you sitting for your MCAT mid-July this means you will get secondaries late-August in a best case. Get ready to bust those out when they come around. Sorry to hear about your situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
When describing shadowing experience, should I write down the specific names and locations of the doctors I shadowed?
I would, at least thats what I did, I feel it adds credibility.

Sorry guys, easy question that I searched and received some answers, but because I am freaking out, feel the need to ask again... LOR's are for secondaries right? :scared:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't find detailed info and am looking for clarification.

What is the prompt for the AACOMAS personal statement? I know the AMCAS gives a specific prompt. I wasn't able to see one of the AACOMAS app.

The prompt is what ever you have to state about yourself, limited to 4500 characters... Make it count.

There even is a button on the application that gives you suggestions.

Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

Thanks, do most people simply revise what they stated in Amcas? Also, are there any tips on what to include regarding the DO aspect. Should the focus be on why medicine or why DO specifically?

If I receive a fee waiver, would I be considered economically disadvantaged? just curious. As a background, my mom doesn't work, dad have a job part-time so he doesn't make much around 30k/yr at most. I just moved to US with my family in 2008. Most of support/food/shelter are paid by my sisters (3 of them), they are all married though and are physicians. However, my sisters are not listed as guardian or supporter on legal papers/tax return. So technically my my parents and myself are living off my father's income.

I know it was briefly mentioned, but has anyone had their official MCAT scores show up on AACOMAS for this cycle? I released my scores on 5/3/12, and the status in completed on AAMC but AACOMAS still says I have no official scores on file...

Ok super curious about something. I'm going to take biology 2 from the community college I graduated from which I attended the years 2007-2009 and then I went to a university for two years. I want to put bio 2 as "planned" for next summer before matriculation in case some schools don't accept my a and p as a bio requirement. How would I do this? Because it won't let me select a term year for 2013 for my CC because i attended 2007-2009 and graduated 09. Do I have to change it where I attended to 2007-2013 even though I didn't attend from 2010 to 2012? any ideas?

or do I just add the community college as another school?

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry to ask such a silly/no-brainer question, but how many pages on Word is 4500 characters? is there a way to check character count?

sorry to ask such a silly/no-brainer question, but how many pages on Word is 4500 characters? is there a way to check character count?

Yes, click on Review tab on MS word and then Word Count Button - it would open a dialogue box which would show no. of characters

For me I used 4448 characters and it was a page and a half single spaced. To check it in word 2010 click on review and in the left hand corner you can click word count, or highlight selection and bottom left hand corner there is a word count not sure about charter count.

For me I used 4448 characters and it was a page and a half single spaced. To check it in word 2010 click on review and in the left hand corner you can click word count, or highlight selection and bottom left hand corner there is a word count not sure about charter count.

thanks. i hope someone can clarify the difference between word count and character count?

I really want to have my transcripts there by the time June first gets there. My school registrar is very slow.

Transcripts need to be submitted from your school's registrar. The only way to do this (at my school) is to fill out a transcript request form and wait for them to get around to it.

thanks. i hope someone can clarify the difference between word count and character count?

Character count includes punctuation, spaces, and letters. Word count counts words.

Ok super curious about something. I'm going to take biology 2 from the community college I graduated from which I attended the years 2007-2009 and then I went to a university for two years. I want to put bio 2 as "planned" for next summer before matriculation in case some schools don't accept my a and p as a bio requirement. How would I do this? Because it won't let me select a term year for 2013 for my CC because i attended 2007-2009 and graduated 09. Do I have to change it where I attended to 2007-2013 even though I didn't attend from 2010 to 2012? any ideas?

Sounds like you might have to add the school again or change the dates that you "attended" your original entry.

I know it was briefly mentioned, but has anyone had their official MCAT scores show up on AACOMAS for this cycle? I released my scores on 5/3/12, and the status in completed on AAMC but AACOMAS still says I have no official scores on file...

It's probably still processing. AACOMAS not only has to receive your status, but they have to update it to. Give it a couple more days, then call/email them just to make sure.

I would add as a new school, but just call AACOMAS to be safe. They aren't the happiest people for the next 6 months but you are paying them for a service so might as well be safe.

Does anyone else have troubles putting in their conferences/poster presentations? I honestly have no idea how to put them in. I am being really paranoid that I put everything in the wrong way. :scared:

Also, my transcript was marked as received, and my GPA stayed the same, does that mean that it is verified or will they only do it at the end when the app is submitted?

Does anyone else have troubles putting in their conferences/poster presentations? I honestly have no idea how to put them in. I am being really paranoid that I put everything in the wrong way. :scared:

Also, my transcript was marked as received, and my GPA stayed the same, does that mean that it is verified or will they only do it at the end when the app is submitted?

Transcript verification happens during the 3-6 week period after submitting.

For poster presentations, just put the name of the project, whether you were primary or secondary author, a brief summary (like 1 sentence) of the purpose of the project, and then just what your responsibilities were/what you did.

Transcript verification happens during the 3-6 week period after submitting.

For poster presentations, just put the name of the project, whether you were primary or secondary author, a brief summary (like 1 sentence) of the purpose of the project, and then just what your responsibilities were/what you did.

after citing the presentations, i end up with just enough characters for a 1 sentence summary.

basically:
Publication 1
Presented at 3 conferences

Conference 1
3 posters

conference 2
2 posters.

no idea how to write that

Question about entering grades...I have 5yrs of undergrad coursework. Is there any way I can make my first 2 yrs my freshman GPA? There are 29 cr the 1st yr and 35 the 2nd. If I have to instead make my last 2yrs my senior yr then how will they see my 2yr big upward trend since it will just show 1yr cgpa of 3.8 instead of junior 3.8 and senior 3.8? Make sense?

Question about entering grades...I have 5yrs of undergrad coursework. Is there any way I can make my first 2 yrs my freshman GPA? There are 29 cr the 1st yr and 35 the 2nd. If I have to instead make my last 2yrs my senior yr then how will they see my 2yr big upward trend since it will just show 1yr cgpa of 3.8 instead of junior 3.8 and senior 3.8? Make sense?

I wouldn't. The instructions say specifically that your freshman year is "approximately 0 - 32 semester hours completed," so trying to squeeze 64 credit hours in there would be seriously pushing it.

A lot of people have big improvements in their 5th or 6th years of undergrad, I'm sure adcoms are capable of counting the academic terms listed to see how many years are included under the "senior year" and evaluating any trends accordingly.

Thanks...yea that would be pushing it. I hope they look into my crappy GPA and see that it's all from 1yr in 2006-2007 :(

Hey all! Just wondering if any of your AACOMAS received your MCAT scores yet? I released them on the system on the 6th of May and it still hasn't been received yet......Are any of you guys having this problem?

Thank you!

Hey guys, I'm taking a few summer courses that will really jump my GPA (retakes). How do I go about adding this after applying? The summer grades come out late august, but I think I should apply earlier. Do I e-mail individual schools or go through the AACOMAS system?

Hey guys, I'm taking a few summer courses that will really jump my GPA (retakes). How do I go about adding this after applying? The summer grades come out late august, but I think I should apply earlier. Do I e-mail individual schools or go through the AACOMAS system?

I read some threads from last year and it seems like people forward new/updated transcripts directly to the schools to make sure that the ADCOM sees it.

I'm doing the same thing as you, but I'm still going to submit my AACOMAS as soon as my spring grades are put on my transcript or June 1 (whichever is later).

Edit: Also is June 1 the day? AMCAS is June 5.

I am shadowing a neurosurgical resident at the moment. I have yet to meet the 'big boss' that has been practicing for about 30 years because he seems to be busy. I know that residents, especially this one, do not have too much time on his hands, however, he already knows me pretty well and knows my character. Is a letter from a resident just as effective as a letter from the experienced physician or should I just wait?

Also, I am wondering about the timing of letters of recommendation. After I submit my application, how long should I wait to send my letters? I don't take my MCAT until after my app goes out so I already know they really won't look at my app until the score is sent a month later. Can I continue to gather letters until the day that I get my score and submit the LORs around that time? Or is it best to begin submitting a few letters by then? I know certain schools have a limit or recommend 3 letters and some have 5, but if I submit 2 to each school, would that pose a problem?

I am shadowing a neurosurgical resident at the moment. I have yet to meet the 'big boss' that has been practicing for about 30 years because he seems to be busy. I know that residents, especially this one, do not have too much time on his hands, however, he already knows me pretty well and knows my character. Is a letter from a resident just as effective as a letter from the experienced physician or should I just wait?

Also, I am wondering about the timing of letters of recommendation. After I submit my application, how long should I wait to send my letters? I don't take my MCAT until after my app goes out so I already know they really won't look at my app until the score is sent a month later. Can I continue to gather letters until the day that I get my score and submit the LORs around that time? Or is it best to begin submitting a few letters by then? I know certain schools have a limit or recommend 3 letters and some have 5, but if I submit 2 to each school, would that pose a problem?

A letter from a resident is still a letter from a doctor. Obviously if the "big boss" is someone that is known by ADCOMs his letter will carry more weight than another doctor, but the resident still has MD/DO next to his name. The ADCOM won't know (and probably won't care) if he is "just" a resident.

make sure you correctly label the old classes as "retake XX" and not as "last retake XX"

label your summer courses as "last retake" and as "in-progress/future" (if possible)

when I entered courses from my first school, it showed a very high GPA, and I can only assume it is because any retaken classes were not yet counted and I had not yet entered "last retake" from my undergraduate post-bacc.

hopefully, the first GPA they see will be high, with retakes planned, rather than low, with retakes planned. does that make sense?

make sure you correctly label the old classes as "retake XX" and not as "last retake XX"

label your summer courses as "last retake" and as "in-progress/future" (if possible)

when I entered courses from my first school, it showed a very high GPA, and I can only assume it is because any retaken classes were not yet counted and I had not yet entered "last retake" from my undergraduate post-bacc.

hopefully, the first GPA they see will be high, with retakes planned, rather than low, with retakes planned. does that make sense?

sorry, I didn't answer your question haha. I don't know the answer, but make sure you don't list the courses you're going to retake as last-retake and plan to change them later.

sorry, I didn't answer your question haha. I don't know the answer, but make sure you don't list the courses you're going to retake as last-retake and plan to change them later.
Thanks for the tip. I just did that. My sGPA skyrockets.

Hey all! Just wondering if any of your AACOMAS received your MCAT scores yet? I released them on the system on the 6th of May and it still hasn't been received yet......Are any of you guys having this problem?

Thank you!

I was having the same issue so I emailed AACOMAS asking them if they have received my scores and the next day they replied with a yes and now my scores show up under the "official MCAT" tab of the application.

Does anyone know what Women's Studies is classfied as in ACCOMAS? Other-non sci or Behavioral science?

Thanks.

2 quick questions.
1) We have to enter in our grades for every course online even though we're sending in our transcripts?
2) What's the process for sending in LOR's? I can't really seem to find any concrete info. I'm only applying to MSUCOM for admission next year.