*~*~* Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2015-2016 *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How do I make my MCAT change from unofficial to official on my application? I sent in my scores from aamc to aacomas but haven't gotten any confirmation from either.

If they've received it you'll see both an unofficial AND an official mcat score section. I never received notification but I have both on my apps.

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone else get the glitch where you enter one date for your MCAT score (in my case 1/15/15) and then a different date shows on the dashboard view of the standardized tests(1/13/15) and then a 3rd date is shown on the .pdf of your application for the "unofficial" MCAT (1/14/15)???? I've called them and they have no answer for me, just "its an IT issue."

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone else get the glitch where you enter one date for your MCAT score (in my case 1/15/15) and then a different date shows on the dashboard view of the standardized tests(1/13/15) and then a 3rd date is shown on the .pdf of your application for the "unofficial" MCAT (1/14/15)???? I've called them and they have no answer for me, just "its an IT issue."

Yeah, apparently it's a known issue. My actual pdf has the correct date and that seems to be the norm, perhaps you made a typo the first time around?

When I view the .pdf format of my application, all the experiences descriptions and even my personal statement seems to be indented from line 2 onwards. Line 1 of every paragraph is normal. Is that happening with everyone or is it just me?

I'm sure the answer is somewhere in these 27 pages, but I can't look through them right now so I'm just going to ask:

How are you supposed to put in repeated activities? I shadowed 3 different physicians, do I make an activity tabs for each, or do I just make one activity and select the start date from my first shadowing experience, and select the end date from my third shadowing experience?

Yeah, apparently it's a known issue. My actual pdf has the correct date and that seems to be the norm, perhaps you made a typo the first time around?

I know for sure I didn't make a typo. I've tried reentering it on google chrome, safari, firefox and internet explorer, all with no success. I've been on the phone with AACOMAS customer service multiple times, and finally "with my permission" they entered it for me on their end and the same thing happens. 1/15/15 is entered for the date, but then 1/13/15 shows up from the "dashboard view"of the standardized test section, and then 1/14/15 shows up on my .pdf in the unofficial MCAT section. My Official MCAT FINALLY made it to them and is on my .pdf correctly as 1/15/15, but the unofficial reads 1/14/15 right below it which just makes me look lazy/careless and as if I didn't proof read my application!! All because of an IT issue! Customer service said they spoke to their superior while I was on the phone with them but I was not given a real answer, and then they said they were contacting the head honcho/honchette and finally I was given the generic: "it should be resolved in 1-2 business days." Now over a week later nothing has changed....

I know for sure I didn't make a typo. I've tried reentering it on google chrome, safari, firefox and internet explorer, all with no success. I've been on the phone with AACOMAS customer service multiple times, and finally "with my permission" they entered it for me on their end and the same thing happens. 1/15/15 is entered for the date, but then 1/13/15 shows up from the "dashboard view"of the standardized test section, and then 1/14/15 shows up on my .pdf in the unofficial MCAT section. My Official MCAT FINALLY made it to them and is on my .pdf correctly as 1/15/15, but the unofficial reads 1/14/15 right below it which just makes me look lazy/careless and as if I didn't proof read my application!! All because of an IT issue! Customer service said they spoke to their superior while I was on the phone with them but I was not given a real answer, and then they said they were contacting the head honcho/honchette and finally I was given the generic: "it should be resolved in 1-2 business days." Now over a week later nothing has changed....

I seriously doubt ANYONE will even notice the discrepancy, much less CARE.

Two questions: one about the size of the box in which one enters the personal statement, and one about the AACOMAS' calculation of cGPA and sGPA:

Is the box supposed to be that small? It's like 3 lines of text before cycling; feels like I'm using Twitter or something, versus inputting a PS.

Assume I want to apply to a school like one of the VCOMs, which has a requirement of 3.2 c/sGPA. You already have to indicate what schools you want to apply to before you hit "submit application," correct? I thiiiiiink both my GPAs will be over that threshold, but I'm not 100% certain.

My question is, does AACOMAS calculate the GPA values for you before you need to submit? Or is it "input transcript grades, manually choose schools, pay fees, calculation?" I don't really want to pony up $35 if it means getting screened out immediately...

*Disclaimer*: I'm ready to hit the "submit application" button, and this is my first time filling out the application.

Two questions: one about the size of the box in which one enters the personal statement, and one about the AACOMAS' calculation of cGPA and sGPA:

Is the box supposed to be that small? It's like 3 lines of text before cycling; feels like I'm using Twitter or something, versus inputting a PS.

Assume I want to apply to a school like one of the VCOMs, which has a requirement of 3.2 c/sGPA. You already have to indicate what schools you want to apply to before you hit "submit application," correct? I thiiiiiink both my GPAs will be over that threshold, but I'm not 100% certain.

My question is, does AACOMAS calculate the GPA values for you before you need to submit? Or is it "input transcript grades, manually choose schools, pay fees, calculation?" I don't really want to pony up $35 if it means getting screened out immediately...

*Disclaimer*: I'm ready to hit the "submit application" button, and this is my first time filling out the application.
It's the second of your scenarios. They don't calculate until you submit.

Hello, I would really appreciate it if someone with experience with this type of grade replacement could offer their 2 cents:

Hypothetical student originally took 3 quarters of gchem w lab:

Chem 1 = C
chem 2 = C
Chem 3 = C

9 units total

Retook on a semester system and recieved:

Chem I = A
Chem II = A

10 units total

Would they be able to mark all 3 quarters of chem as repeated or just 2 of them? Thank you

Hey guys quick question, I'm sure it's been answered sorry in advance, but do secondaries only get sent out after you are verified, and how long does it usually take for this to happen?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys quick question, I'm sure it's been answered sorry in advance, but do secondaries only get sent out after you are verified, and how long does it usually take for this to happen?
The only school I know of where you can get a secondary without being verified is LMUDCOM, it's on their website!

Okay thanks, do you know how long it takes after verification to actually receive secondaries?

Okay thanks, do you know how long it takes after verification to actually receive secondaries?
I was verified on early July and recieved my first three days ago.

Reactions: 1 user
For the LoR part of the application, are you allowed to submit the application, and then indicate future letters?

I have the committee letter ready to go (2 sci faculty, 1 outside source) but I don't have a physician's letter (yet) that's required for most every DO school; reason being that I applied to TMDSAS (physician letter not req) and didn't realize that we needed a physician's letter for AACOMAS. I'm sure I can get the MD letter within 2 weeks, but should I hold off on totally submitting my application until then, or should I submit now, and just wait for the letters to come in?

Also, some schools list that they need 3 LoR: 1 committee, 1 sci faculty, 1 physician. For the people that applied to these schools / for the people that have knowledge of this: will they accept just the 2 letters (committee and phys) or do I have to ask for another science faculty? Again, my committee letter consists of 2 science faculty already and 1 outside non-physician source.

For the LoR part of the application, are you allowed to submit the application, and then indicate future letters?

I have the committee letter ready to go (2 sci faculty, 1 outside source) but I don't have a physician's letter (yet) that's required for most every DO school; reason being that I applied to TMDSAS (physician letter not req) and didn't realize that we needed a physician's letter for AACOMAS. I'm sure I can get the MD letter within 2 weeks, but should I hold off on totally submitting my application until then, or should I submit now, and just wait for the letters to come in?

Also, some schools list that they need 3 LoR: 1 committee, 1 sci faculty, 1 physician. For the people that applied to these schools / for the people that have knowledge of this: will they accept just the 2 letters (committee and phys) or do I have to ask for another science faculty? Again, my committee letter consists of 2 science faculty already and 1 outside non-physician source.
Usually a committee packet consists of the committee letter and all letters they used to compile it, so if your committee sends a packet and not just a single letter you'll be fine.

Hey there guys, I have a question. Should one add the classes they are planning to take in the fall on the transcript page? Would this help or hurt?

does anyone know how long it is taking AACOMAS to verify applications on average?

From what people here on SDN are reporting, just under 4 weeks at the moment. They did officially GUARANTEE a 4 week or less verification for this cycle, and it doesn't seem that this guarantee has been broken thus far. Although, I'm not sure there would be any consequences if they couldn't meet that guarantee anyways, besides just a disappointed applicant..

hey all, again, this question is probably answered previously but that's a lot of reading!! :) (also posted this in a different thread but no response yet!). I am currently only applying to one school which requires a DO LOR (WVSOM), and did not have this letter until today. I work as a scribe, and have 2 strong MD letters, as well as required science ones, so my application is currently complete at several schools. The DO who agreed to write for me today is about to get married, and might not be able to submit for about one month. My question is, if I add this letter to my AACOMAS primary, will this in any way hold up the processing of my application at the schools at which I'm already complete?? Should I just use Interfolio for this one letter?

Thanks so much for any advice!!

From what people here on SDN are reporting, just under 4 weeks at the moment. They did officially GUARANTEE a 4 week or less verification for this cycle, and it doesn't seem that this guarantee has been broken thus far. Although, I'm not sure there would be any consequences if they couldn't meet that guarantee anyways, besides just a disappointed applicant..

Been over a month for me so far, getting impatient.

Any idea how long AACOMAS takes on average to verify applications? I sent mine in July 16th and it is still in the verification stage.

Any idea how long AACOMAS takes on average to verify applications? I sent mine in July 16th and it is still in the verification stage.

They advertise 4 weeks max, but they also advertise transcripts being processed within 7-10 business days from the date your school sent them and that did not happen with my transcript. After waiting and waiting for my transcript to post I called my school to confirm what day they printed and sent it before calling AACOMAS to see what the hold up was...15 business days after they sent it AACOMAS added my transcript to my account... (my transcript didn't come from across the country either, just from Florida, so transit time was minimal)

At their current rate I'd say you have at least another 2 weeks of waiting. My app didn't begin the verification process until last week because of the delay with my transcript, so I'm guessing I've got a minimum of 3 more weeks.... hopefully they prove me wrong and we get verified earlier than that, but I'm not holding my breath...

1) Do I need to list all MCATs taken or only the ones taken within the past 3 years?
2) Can I delete a LOR writer after I submit my primary? I set the deadline for this letter to 7/31 but I am not sure if I'll get the letter.
3) Did you guys used the specific subjects for your courses? For example, microbiology classified as Microbiology or Biology?
4) Did you guys enter zero credit for a W class or the original # of credits?

Thanks

Last edited:
1) Do I need to list all MCATs taken or only the ones taken within the past 3 years?
2) Can I delete a LOR writer after I submit my primary? I set the deadline for this letter to 7/31 but I am not sure if I'll get the letter.
3) Did you guys used the specific subjects for your courses? For example, microbiology classified as Microbiology or Biology?
4) Did you guys enter zero credit for a W class or the original # of credits?

Thanks
1) I can't answer this one
2) Yes. I submitted mine with four letters. Only three have been successfully submitted. It gives me the option to delete this letter still. The other three, which are already submitted, cannot be deleted or edited.
3) My Principles of Microbiology class is the course title but the subject is Biology. I thought I had said the subject was Microbiology but looking at it now it says biology. I don't know if they changed this or if I marked it as Biology.
4) I entered in zero credits for a W class. The corresponding CAS grade is 'none'.

1) I can't answer this one
2) Yes. I submitted mine with four letters. Only three have been successfully submitted. It gives me the option to delete this letter still. The other three, which are already submitted, cannot be deleted or edited.
3) My Principles of Microbiology class is the course title but the subject is Biology. I thought I had said the subject was Microbiology but looking at it now it says biology. I don't know if they changed this or if I marked it as Biology.
4) I entered in zero credits for a W class. The corresponding CAS grade is 'none'.

Thanks.
This application got more complicated for no reason.

Okay, so on my Manage Programs tabs it's been on verifying for awhile now, but none of the individual checkmarks are turning green...is this normal?

So I recently figured out that during my grade entry, I messed up and didn't have withdrew classes as 0 credits on 2 of my transcripts. My application has been verifying since July 11th. What would be the best solution now, should I get in reach with aacomas to resolve the problem or wait for my application to come back to me as uncompletable? thank you

Last edited:
So I recently figured out that during my grade entry, I messed up and didn't have withdrew classes as 0 credits on 2 of my transcripts. My application has been verifying since July 11th. What would be the best solution now, should I get in reach with aacomas to resolve the problem or wait for my application to come back to me as uncompletable? thank you

HUH? That's not correct. You're suppose to list the units for withdrawn attempts...

HUH? That's not correct. You're suppose to list the units for withdrawn attempts...
Ok so i might have done it right then. This application process has been really confusing. thank you

One DO school I'm applying to requires a science prof LOR in addition to the committee and phys LOR, is it okay to still submit the prof letter into AACOMAS since all the other schools who don't require it can view it? I don't want to look desperate to the other schools

Hey guys I was wondering if it is too late to apply DO schools now? I have the app finished , I was waiting to take my MCAT and I be taking it next week and I have also be doing a masters program for my gap year, will I be able to update them about my grades?
Thanks

I have a related question. My secondaries are already in but my summer classes just finished. How do I show them my new grades? Do I need to send an updated transcript to every school's admissions I applied to? (and if so, should I put a note with it or let them know some way)

Where can I find this info in the FAQs? I could not find any info about withdrawn attempts (other than not mark them as Repeats). In the AMCAS you don't input the credits for withdrawn attempts (no place to do so).

I have a question regarding in progress classes. The way my school works, one of my 2015 spring semester classes extended until late july. I submitted my application with 14 of my 18 spring credits having been completed. I assumed that the rest of my spring credits would be counted to my GPA, but bc one of my classes of still in progress none of my spring semester grades counted towards my GPA. Now that I'm verified (yesterday), do I have to wait till september 1st for the academic update so that I can add my last spring semester grade?

Hi there,

Can someone please help me with the "Department prefix" part of the course work entry? I have entered my coursework as it was listed on my transcript, for example, "BI110" refers to the Bio (BI) department and 110 is the course No. The application however was recently undelivered to me and I was told to fix this. I am not sure how else to enter the "Department prefix". Would adding a space, for example, BI 110 instead of BI110 be better? Please advise if you are aware.

Thanks!

EDIT: Never mind, it turned out that the unofficial copy I had didn't list the department prefixes the same way as the official copy. I had to call my school to get the exact prefixes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,

If i took courses (mostly repeats) a year after I got my BA would this be consid post-bacc or senior level?? Thanks!!

Does anyone know whether sending letters directly from Interfolio to AACOMAS works yet? I feel like they probably fixed the corruption issue by now, but I want to make sure before I try to do it.

Does anyone know whether sending letters directly from Interfolio to AACOMAS works yet? I feel like they probably fixed the corruption issue by now, but I want to make sure before I try to do it.

It works.

Does anyone know about how long they are taking to verify transcripts once they have been received?

Has anyone not been able to see the programs they have selected? Now when I open my app it says that I have 0 programs selected. Also, I am unable to make any changes to app without an error popping up saying I need full authentication. I have called them multiple times , and they said that everything looks fine on their end, and that I should just use Firefox. Well, I have used Firefox on 3 different computers and my app is still messed up. This has really stopped me from being able to come close to completing my app. Thanks for any help.

Hi guys, I'm freaking out over here.
I had AAMC send my MCAT score report to what I thought was AACOMAS. Now when I look at "scores sent to institutions" all I see is American Assoc. of Colleges of Podiatric Med. App. Serv.

I tried going back and looking for AACOMAS in the "select institution" menu and I don't see it. I could have sworn I picked AACOMAS the first time around.... is it possible that this is a typo on their end or do you guys see an option for Podiatry as well? Any help would be greatly appreciated; thanks so much.

Nope, my history shows as sent to "American Assoc. of Colleges of Osteopathic Med. App. Serv."

When I look at the sending screen, AACOMAS is the first choice and the podiatric service is the second choice.

Send it again to AACOMAS, fast.

Nope, my history shows as sent to "American Assoc. of Colleges of Osteopathic Med. App. Serv."

When I look at the sending screen, AACOMAS is the first choice and the podiatric service is the second choice.

Send it again to AACOMAS, fast.

Caught that, but thank you for your help as always.

Status
Not open for further replies.