*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011-2012*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can tell you that I submitted on June 16th and was verified four weeks later. How much will your GPA change if you have your spring grades available?

The GPA would only change very marginally. It would give me possibly a .05 boost (after a lot of undergrad courses, a handful doesn't do much). However, this .05 would make a big difference in my app. My MCAT and cumulative are both excellent. My science GPA is middle tier and the .05 boost puts it on the low end of the "better" end. That's comforting to hear you were verified a month later. So you were sent secondaries in July? When was the earliest date you started interviewing? Thank you SO much for your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

The GPA would only change very marginally. It would give me possibly a .05 boost (after a lot of undergrad courses, a handful doesn't do much). However, this .05 would make a big difference in my app. My MCAT and cumulative are both excellent. My science GPA is middle tier and the .05 boost puts it on the low end of the "better" end. That's comforting to hear you were verified a month later. So you were sent secondaries in July? When was the earliest date you started interviewing? Thank you SO much for your advice.

It is possible to receive invitations to complete secondary applications as soon as you submit your primary (depending on school), but yes, I received most of my secondaries in mid- to late July and completed them usually within a few days of receipt. (Quick tip: many, if not most or all, secondary essay prompts can be found on SDN. Completing them in advance is pretty beneficial.) The first interview invitation I received was in mid-September, which to me felt late; two of my other friends already had a few invitations (and completed interviews) by that time, if I remember correctly.

I would, in your shoes, not wait for the additional scores. Moving up a GPA tier (which is sort of a subjective thing) is offset by potentially being in a larger pool of applicants with much better stats, while being in a smaller pool can potentially allow you to stand out more easily. At least, that's my rationale -- if I'm off base, no doubt someone will correct me.

Ok, I know how to enter the credits I received from IB/AP classes on the transcript. However, I'm confused about one thing. I got credit from Bio 1 and Bio 2 in my university (UF) for getting high grades on the AP/IB exam. However, I ended up retaking those classes again in college and easily getting an A in both of them. My question is: should i only mention the credits I received from UF when I retook the classes, or should i also mention that I received credits for the classes from IB/AP??

Members don't see this ad :)
I keep hearing there was supposedn to be a section about family history where you write about your family backgorund????

Do all minor incidences really need to be reported in the 'institutional action' section?... such as being cited for having alcohol in my dorm room when I was a freshman.

I have ~12 presentations (~5 first author, several at international conferences) and 2 reviews as well as some research manuscripts in progress. Obviously I can't list these separately, but there are too many presentations/articles to list in one box (they won't fit). How do I list this on AMCAS?

Hmmm....*thinks really hard*....

2 boxes?

List the highest impact publications you have. Presentations are not as important.

Leave the others off. You can bring them up in an interview, but otherwise they won't be important.

Agree with the above. List manuscripts in which you were a high author, then manuscripts that you're an author of, then presentations that you LED, followed by presentations that you were just in.

I think manuscripts are more important than presentations, but list whatever you want. Just fit as much as you can in a box based on what you think is most important. You could even throw in a sentence that you have other presentations/manuscripts that couldn't be mentioned in the box if you so desire.

If you tell AMCAS that you are retaking (there's that spot under standardized tests) then it won't consider your app complete until you actually take the test and have scores. I think your stats may be too low even with the 35+ because there is a GPA screen regardless of MCAT score. Are you opposed to taking a gap year to take a bunch of science classes to raise your GPA? I'm not saying that to upset you, and certainly a great MCAT score is always helpful and I'm sure you have fantastic activities. I'm someone who took a gap year is why I'm suggesting it-- the average accepted GPA for med school is 3.7. The average applicant applies with a 3.5.

Thanks so much for the response! Can you elaborate a bit more on the GPA screens, or is that something that differs by school? I do have a strong upward curve (transitioning from 2.3 to solid 3.8's in the last year and a half).

I actually am taking a gap year, sort of. I'm a senior graduating next month and it's my first time applying. Right now I'm looking into working in a hospital setting for during the app cycle. If I also take classes, do I have to do it at a 4-year university or would CC suffice?

Do all minor incidences really need to be reported in the 'institutional action' section?... such as being cited for having alcohol in my dorm room when I was a freshman.

Does it appear on your transcript and/or on any student affairs file? If not, I suppose you could get away with it. Just understand that you're completely ****ed if they find out about it later and you don't report it.

And second question: coursework for grad students - do we need to list every term that we did masters/phd research as a course even though they're all X or S grades? i'm assuming we do since other people list pass/fail/no credit work too right? even though there's no useful information in there..
Not sure if anyone answered this yet. You do have to list all your grad school coursework, even if it is an S or X. Just where it asks for your grade, list "S" and there mark "pass/fail" in the bottom section of the coursework page.

Agree with the above. List manuscripts in which you were a high author, then manuscripts that you're an author of, then presentations that you LED, followed by presentations that you were just in.

I think manuscripts are more important than presentations, but list whatever you want. Just fit as much as you can in a box based on what you think is most important. You could even throw in a sentence that you have other presentations/manuscripts that couldn't be mentioned in the box if you so desire.

:confused:

You mean like actual presentations that involved YOU SPEAKING N STUFF vs. presentations where someone else presented work that you did?

Members don't see this ad :)
In the biographical information, it asks:
How have you paid or did you pay for your post-secondary education? For each of the applicable options below indicate the average percentage contribution towards your post-secondary education.

I imagine that this estimate should include costs such as tuition, course fees and textbooks. Should I also include student costs-of-living estimates (dorm payments/rent, food, etc)? Thanks!

If your activities are just filled with research stuff, that could probably work against you, put down other things you did during school

Use a few boxes for research - use the most high impact ones. I doubt you have so many that you use all of it up even when putting multiple pubs in one box. And if you have so much that you absolutely must tell them, send the school an 'update' letter detailing the rest of your pubs.

Oh, wait, they are presentations not publishes...yea get rid of the smaller ones. Keep any regional/national presentations.

Especially get rid of repeats (e.g you presented a paper at your lab, then at your school, then at your county, etc).

Hi guys!! I have a quick question about course numbers. My school (Rutgers) does not list stuff like Bio 101 or Phys 101...It lists the course title followed by the department number, course number, section number, credits, and then grade. So, as an example, with Organic Chemistry, it is listed as Organic Chemistry School: 01 Dept: 160 Course: 307 Sect: 41 Grade: B+

It does not even say Organic Chemistry 1 or 2. Should I specify this in course name? Also, for course number, should I just say 160: 307 or Chem 307? Thanks!

The only thing that's listed on your transcript is numbers?

I would get a copy of your transcript and list information exactly as it appears on the transcript because that's ultimately what AMCAS is going to use to verify your information. So if there's no mention of Chem but, instead, just 160, use 160.

See how it is listed on official transcripts sent out. That is what you have to match, not an online lookup of the transcript.

If it's listed the same, put it down the same. Probably the only person who will read your course titles is the verification person.

I am wondering if all the Texas schools that use TMDSAS accept out of state students. I purchased the MSAR and although all of them indicate that some out of state students matriculate, I read in last years TMDSAS that someone got an email from some schools saying they do not accept out of state students. If there are such schools can you tell me which one's they are as I am on a tight budget and if I do not have a chance as an out of state applicant I'd much rather spend that money elsewhere.

i have a question also, i dont mean to hijack this thread but i took college algebra at a cc which was counted as a 4 credits but i transferred it to a university which it transferred as 3 credits, do i list it as 3 or 4 credits on amcas?

i have a question also, i dont mean to hijack this thread but i took college algebra at a cc which was counted as a 4 credits but i transferred it to a university which it transferred as 3 credits, do i list it as 3 or 4 credits on amcas?

Same thing as the above: put whatever is on your transcript. If you get both transcripts and they're listed differently, then list them as they are on each individual transcript.

Thanks so much for the response! Can you elaborate a bit more on the GPA screens, or is that something that differs by school? I do have a strong upward curve (transitioning from 2.3 to solid 3.8's in the last year and a half).

I actually am taking a gap year, sort of. I'm a senior graduating next month and it's my first time applying. Right now I'm looking into working in a hospital setting for during the app cycle. If I also take classes, do I have to do it at a 4-year university or would CC suffice?

CC would not suffice-most schools clearly state that they either will not count courses taken at CC, or will view them less seriously.
The GPA cut-off is 'non-existent' because no school will give a specific cut-off. However, look at the MSAR: top 20s for the most part don't accept below 3.6 cumulative, and 3.5 science. The few exceptions are Cornell, which draws a clear line at 3.4 science. (All this was information from last year's class and is available if you read the MSAR). Upward trend counts for a lot but at the end of the day without those bottom numbers you have almost no chance at an interview at those schools. (But if you pick your school list realistically, you do... but boost your GPA).

Can anyone tell me why the GPA that AMCAS calculates might be different than what we expected, as they outline?

I am wondering if all the Texas schools that use TMDSAS accept out of state students. I purchased the MSAR and although all of them indicate that some out of state students matriculate, I read in last years TMDSAS that someone got an email from some schools saying they do not accept out of state students. If there are such schools can you tell me which one's they are as I am on a tight budget and if I do not have a chance as an out of state applicant I'd much rather spend that money elsewhere.

Baylor is one of the only Texas schools that accepts out of state residents. You're wasting your time at basically all the others. The difference is, Baylor is PRIVATE and the other schools are public. However, Baylor still accepts overwhelmingly from Texas-- about 70-80% last year. Look at the MSAR. You're really better off not applying in Texas if you're on a tight budget and are from out of state. I recommend buying the MSAR for $25. It's published by AMCAS. It shows you GPAs that were accepted, MCAT scores, but it also shows you how many students were from in state, and how many were from out of state. Another hard place to be out of state is California.

what can I do about phone number / email addresses for organizations that don't exist anymore(activity was 2 years ago)?

-edit-
I entered n/a for the name/title, and 555-555-5555 for the phone number.
Will this be ok?

Last edited:
Where on the AMCAS primary can you explain your grades for one particular semester?

Thanks everyone!
By presentations I meant conference abstracts ... and my presentations alone take up 3 boxes. But whatevs, I guess I'll split it up into 1. manuscripts 2. reviews 3. abstracts and not include full citations. That's 3/15 of my AMCAS! GAH. They really should give you more space for these things! Stupid AMCAS.

Last edited:
Merging related threads

Hi guys!! I have a quick question about course numbers. My school (Rutgers) does not list stuff like Bio 101 or Phys 101...It lists the course title followed by the department number, course number, section number, credits, and then grade. So, as an example, with Organic Chemistry, it is listed as Organic Chemistry School: 01 Dept: 160 Course: 307 Sect: 41 Grade: B+

It does not even say Organic Chemistry 1 or 2. Should I specify this in course name? Also, for course number, should I just say 160: 307 or Chem 307? Thanks!

The only thing that's listed on your transcript is numbers?

I would get a copy of your transcript and list information exactly as it appears on the transcript because that's ultimately what AMCAS is going to use to verify your information. So if there's no mention of Chem but, instead, just 160, use 160.

See how it is listed on official transcripts sent out. That is what you have to match, not an online lookup of the transcript.

If it's listed the same, put it down the same. Probably the only person who will read your course titles is the verification person.

Same thing as the above: put whatever is on your transcript. If you get both transcripts and they're listed differently, then list them as they are on each individual transcript.

Merging with Official AMCAS Question thread

I have ~12 presentations (~5 first author, several at international conferences) and 2 reviews as well as some research manuscripts in progress. Obviously I can't list these separately, but there are too many presentations/articles to list in one box (they won't fit). How do I list this on AMCAS?

Hmmm....*thinks really hard*....

2 boxes?

List the highest impact publications you have. Presentations are not as important.

Leave the others off. You can bring them up in an interview, but otherwise they won't be important.

:confused:

You mean like actual presentations that involved YOU SPEAKING N STUFF vs. presentations where someone else presented work that you did?

If your activities are just filled with research stuff, that could probably work against you, put down other things you did during school

Use a few boxes for research - use the most high impact ones. I doubt you have so many that you use all of it up even when putting multiple pubs in one box. And if you have so much that you absolutely must tell them, send the school an 'update' letter detailing the rest of your pubs.

Oh, wait, they are presentations not publishes...yea get rid of the smaller ones. Keep any regional/national presentations.

Especially get rid of repeats (e.g you presented a paper at your lab, then at your school, then at your county, etc).

By presentations I meant conference abstracts ...

Thanks everyone.. I guess I'll split it up into 1. manuscripts 2. reviews 3. abstracts. That's 3/15 of my AMCAS! GAH. They really should give you more space for these things! Stupid AMCAS.

Sorry for posting mega-multi-quotes. I'm just doing that for other threads that get started that get a bunch of replies so that you all know what answer goes with what when it gets merged here :)

Where IS the official transcript thread for this cycle apps??

Anyhow, from what I remember, I need to request transcripts from ccs that I took summer school in, even those taken in high school, correct?

Merge this thread if needed.
Thanks.

Anyhow, from what I remember, I need to request transcripts from ccs that I took summer school in, even those taken in high school, correct?

Thanks.

yes.

Also, do you list those colleges under "colleges attended"?

Thanks.

I will merge. Please note that there is a search function AND this thread is in a sticky.

Also, do you list those colleges under "colleges attended"?

Hi, I have a quick question. Can you modify your course work section (e.g. course abbreviation/number) after entering them on AMCAS? before submitting yet.

Thanks!

Hi, I have a quick question. Can you modify your course work section (e.g. course abbreviation/number) after entering them on AMCAS? before submitting yet.

Thanks!
yes

So I have been working on my AMCAS and it is asking if I have any misdemeanors. I just got a speeding ticket last week so I am assuming I would include that. If so what type of information do I need to include about that?

So I have been working on my AMCAS and it is asking if I have any misdemeanors. I just got a speeding ticket last week so I am assuming I would include that. If so what type of information do I need to include about that?

Speeding tickets aren't misdemeanors in all states.

1. most speeding tickets aren't misdemeanors, check what the rules are in your state for the particular ticket you got (i.e. how much over the speed limit it was)
2. if it is a misdemeanor (which i doubt) you should go contest it in court and try to get it reduced to something that isn't a misdemeanor. at some schools writing anything in that box puts you in a whole different pile and it's best to avoid that if you can

How many speeding violations have you had

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzXQi64p8Ho&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

How many speeding violations have you had

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzXQi64p8Ho&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

This was my first ticket ever it was a 53 in 35 because the limit changed from 55 to 35.

Merging with official AMCAS questions thread.

Speeding tickets aren't misdemeanors in all states.

1. most speeding tickets aren't misdemeanors, check what the rules are in your state for the particular ticket you got (i.e. how much over the speed limit it was)
2. if it is a misdemeanor (which i doubt) you should go contest it in court and try to get it reduced to something that isn't a misdemeanor. at some schools writing anything in that box puts you in a whole different pile and it's best to avoid that if you can

Speeding tickets are tricky. You should check with the jurisdiction in which you received the infraction to see what it's considered to be; if it's considered a misdemeanor, I should think it's enough to specify on your AMCAS application the date the misdemeanor was committed, the jurisdiction in which the infraction took place, and the description of the violation. For example: 1/1/20xx, Bufu County, misdemeanor speeding (1-20 mph in excess of the limit) or something to that effect.

That having been said, I was told by a friend of mine (yeah, anecdotes are helpful, rite?) that no one cares whether you report speeding tickets --but then again, someone posted here about an acceptance being rescinded because a speeding ticket showed up on the background check that was not reported on their application.

Not sure if anyone answered this yet. You do have to list all your grad school coursework, even if it is an S or X. Just where it asks for your grade, list "S" and there mark "pass/fail" in the bottom section of the coursework page.

thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.