*~*~*~* Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2023-2024 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if you need to report expunged IA's in primaries? I heard the language in the primaries doesn't warrant an IA to be reported if was expunged, but obviously it does need to be reported if not expunged. Moreover, do we need to report it in secondaries, only if that school asks?

Thank you!
There is one "primary" for all the TMDSAS schools, and that is the TMDSAS application itself.
All the schools will see it as their primary, kind of like the Common App for college.

Read the language of exactly how the question is asked, to know how to answer it.

The same question might be asked, in different wording, on some of the secondaries.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! Do you know what the question is exactly? Also have you heard of anyone in my shoes not reporting an expunged IA on the TMDSAS primary but then reporting it on a secondary, only if asked, and getting in? I was wondering also if that would make me look dishonest to schools as they would see I didn't report it on the primary but then only reported it on the secondary because I was asked. I hope they wouldn't take that as me trying to be deceptive or anything.

My reasoning is that if it was expunged and the language does not ask, then I would have no reason to report it, unless they specify to report even if expunged (like AMCAS does), and moreover I've spoken to some advisors who have advised me not to report it unless asked.
Search for TMDSAS Guide to find the wording

Thank you! Do you know what the question is exactly? Also have you heard of anyone in my shoes not reporting an expunged IA on the TMDSAS primary but then reporting it on a secondary, only if asked, and getting in? I was wondering also if that would make me look dishonest to schools as they would see I didn't report it on the primary but then only reported it on the secondary because I was asked. I hope they wouldn't take that as me trying to be deceptive or anything.

My reasoning is that if it was expunged and the language does not ask, then I would have no reason to report it, unless they specify to report even if expunged (like AMCAS does), and moreover I've spoken to some advisors who have advised me not to report it unless asked.
Here’s the 3 ways it asks it on the primary app

Were you ever the recipient of any action by any college or professional school for unacceptable academic performance:

Were you ever the recipient of any action by any college or professional school for conduct violations:

Have you ever been sanctioned or received disciplinary action by a State Licensure Board of any kind (i.e., nursing, pharmacy, legal, etc.):

I know A&M and SHSUCOM asked it again on the secondary

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. Regarding the scenario I proposed about me not reporting it on primaries but reporting on secondaries, could that be deemed as deceptive to schools? Would I have an opportunity to explain that I didn't deem it necessary to report it on the primary, but when asked, I did report it on the secondary?
If the wording is what @purkinjekitty listed, I think you would need to answer “yes”.
I believe a pop-up box will then appear where you can briefly explain.
“I received a conduct violation for starting a food fight in the cafeteria, and after following the rules given me by xxx governing body, it was expunged from my record and I graduated in good standing.”

Reactions: 1 users
Don’t be afraid to message TMDSAS on the portal or reach out to schools in question via email! Also, try not to overthink how things “could” make you look or you’ll go insane through this process :(

A&M gave me a third interview slot to discuss my IA and I was sooo nervous leading up to it. On interview day they ended up canceling the additional third interview. All that anxiety for nothing…LOL

Can I ask you guys something? So if these are expunged, how would a medical school be able to confirm that I had IA's if my school has removed them from my record?

I ask because I spoke to other TMDSAS applicants who said if it was expunged you do not need to report it and one of them got into UTSW.

The question seems to be pretty clear and asks if it you ever had an IA and so I technically did, but then if it was expunged and other people did not report it and they got in, would I be wrong to follow suit?

Did they just get lucky and are an anomaly?

I don't want to play a dangerous game and cause further issues down the line, but I just don't know because I also spoke to another TMDSAS applicant who says told me they spoke to a former admissions advisor who advised them not to report it on the primary if it was expunged.

Do you guys have any good recs on consulting/advising services I can speak too? I keep getting mixed answers everywhere but if push comes to shove I honestly would just report it because I believe honesty is the best policy.

Thank you.
I’m not sure if you applied yet or not but the best source will be TMDSAS themselves for the primary and then each school for the secondary.

All the personal anecdotes are comforting, but I wouldn’t trust my application on it when I can confirm with the people who will decide my fate, ya know?

Can I ask you guys something? So if these are expunged, how would a medical school be able to confirm that I had IA's if my school has removed them from my record?

I ask because I spoke to other TMDSAS applicants who said if it was expunged you do not need to report it and one of them got into UTSW. (Maybe UTSW just didn't ask in their secondary?)

The question seems to be pretty clear and asks if it you ever had an IA and so I technically did, but then if it was expunged and other people did not report it and they got in, would I be wrong to follow suit?

Did they just get lucky and are an anomaly?

I don't want to play a dangerous game and cause further issues down the line, but I just don't know because I also spoke to another TMDSAS applicant who told me they spoke to a former admissions advisor who advised them not to report it on the primary if it was expunged.

Do you guys have any good recs on consulting/advising services I can speak too? I keep getting mixed answers everywhere but if push comes to shove I honestly would just report it because I believe honesty is the best policy.

Thank you.
@SouthernMed first of all, it's good that you are thinking carefully about this issue before you apply.

Second, you asked for expert advisors and I think you have found them here on SDN, where many are experienced in reading applications and many are on admissions committees.

Third, my signature says Plain-spoken Texan (which was a byline of former Texas governor Ann Richards.)

Fourth, here is my plain-spoken advice:
Answer "yes" on the primary. I don't know if your issue was a conduct violation or an academic integrity violation. I don't care, I don't wanna know. Whatever it was, your college expunged it but it was still "an action". If it was a big deal, they wouldn't have expunged it.
Say yes, and explain briefly. Med schools will probably think, "Oh, that? that's not such a big deal."

Alternate action: you answer "no" and somewhere in one of your letters or on a transcript it might be referred to. Now you're in a pickle because omitting something minor might be seen as lying anyway, which is worse than just 'fessing up in the first place. Now you could get questioned more, or asked "why didn't you divulge this in the first place?" Much worse. Omitting or shading the truth compounds the original incident.

So in summation, my advice is to read the wording carefully on the TMDSAS app when you apply next spring. Be transparent. Explain briefly if asked on secondaries, and move on. Our advice here is better than "somebody somewhere said"

Thank you so much for your insight! Yeah, I definitely don't want to play a risky game regarding that.

Do you know if LOR writers see an IA on your record? I have a few LORs from professors but I wasn't aware that letter writers can see an IA. The only things I sent them were my transcript and CV, and I know my transcript didn't disclose it, so I'm not sure where else they could get it from, maybe the registrar, but wouldn't that be a confidentiality issue?

It was pretty minor and I'm fortunate my school expunged it, but I got my letters written before I got it expunged so would you recommend I request my writers re-write theirs excluding any mention of the IA if they chose to mention it? I don't know why they would mention it since it but just in case, would that be a good idea? (I waived my right to view my letters).

Thank you and I love your signature!
Nah, they don’t need to know! Your letter should be the most incredible and glowing recommendation of you. Some writers may want more information like that but if you have any hint of them writing you a bad letter…run!!

Pro tip:

Set up a separate email for medical school application process exclusively and create an account with TMDSAS. The separate account is to make sure you’re able to catch any and all emails from admissions in one organized place. I remember I made an account relatively early and sent TMDSAS messages through their portal asking some questions early too!

Here’s the guide for the TMDSAS application. Read it through!

Hi, I also have some quarter classes. Do you, by chance, know if, after the conversation, for example, 5 quarters converted to 3.3 semesters, and instead of having 8 semester hours of general chemistry, now I have 7.3 hours of general chemistry, would this hurt my admission chances? Or would it just be flagged, and can I take it before matriculation to medical school? Or would it normally just be waived since it is a 0.7 credit discrepancy? Thanks. I haven't met anyone who has had this problem and have been searching for an answer.Thanks.
Has your question about the 0.7 credit shortage been answered ?

I received a message via the TMDSAS messaging system which requested my transcript "in order to validate my coursework." I thought we only send our transcripts when TMDSAS requests them around Match Day. Does anyone know what this means?

I received a message via the TMDSAS messaging system which requested my transcript "in order to validate my coursework." I thought we only send our transcripts when TMDSAS requests them around Match Day. Does anyone know what this means?
TMDSAS will ask for your transcript after your first acceptance
After Match Day you will send an official transcript as well directly to your Match school.

TMDSAS will ask for your transcript after your first acceptance
After Match Day you will send an official transcript as well directly to your Match school.
Ohhh so it's probably due to my pre-match then. Thank you I'll go ahead and send that!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I also have some quarter classes. Do you, by chance, know if, after the conversation, for example, 5 quarters converted to 3.3 semesters, and instead of having 8 semester hours of general chemistry, now I have 7.3 hours of general chemistry, would this hurt my admission chances? Or would it just be flagged, and can I take it before matriculation to medical school? Or would it normally just be waived since it is a 0.7 credit discrepancy? Thanks. I haven't met anyone who has had this problem and have been searching for an answer.Thanks.

Found this in YouTube presentation by TMDSAS staff

1704551943842.jpeg

Sharing my current rank list, I would love to see y'alls too as we approach February!
  1. UTMB (Pre-matched)
  2. UH College of Medicine (Pre-matched)
  3. SHSU-COM (Pre-matched)

Reactions: 2 users
Sharing my current rank list, I would love to see y'alls too as we approach February!
  1. UTMB (Pre-matched)
  2. UH College of Medicine (Pre-matched)
  3. SHSU-COM (Pre-matched)
Post in the republic of Texas thread! A bunch of us shared there :)

Is it okay if I send an update letter to a school that I have yet to hear from even though I have already sent a letter of intent to another school? The school that I sent the letter of intent to, I have already interviewed at. I just wanted to update my #2 school as well.

Is it okay if I send an update letter to a school that I have yet to hear from even though I have already sent a letter of intent to another school? The school that I sent the letter of intent to, I have already interviewed at. I just wanted to update my #2 school as well.
You can if you like - only some of the TMDSAS schools are still interviewing so make it soon.
UT Tyler, Baylor, UTSW, UTMB, and UTRGV have finished off their interview invitations.

I'm not guaranteeing the others are still inviting, but I'm trying to give you an idea of where you might have a chance before the end of January.

Hey Y'all! So I got a pre-match from Paul L Foster SOM today! I have 5 other schools on the TMDSAS rank, and it's asking me to decide by 2 weeks. I still want to see all my options for match day Feb 15th. Can I accept a prematch and still match into another school? Should I rank Paul L Foster lower than since it's already in my prematch if I do accept it?

Reactions: 3 users
Hey Y'all! So I got a pre-match from Paul L Foster SOM today! I have 5 other schools on the TMDSAS rank, and it's asking me to decide by 2 weeks. I still want to see all my options for match day Feb 15th. Can I accept a prematch and still match into another school? Should I rank Paul L Foster lower than since it's already in my prematch if I do accept it?
Yes accept your prematch now
All the TMDSAS schools know that Match Day is coming up and things can change

Rank them how you really like

Match day is Feb 16
Enter your ranks before Feb 2

How often typically after match day do OOS people find out results or if they are waitlisted?

So, excuse the neurotic question, but are you all actually inputting your rank into TMDSAS as a placeholder, or keeping it unofficial/in your head until Feb? I know the deadline is Feb 2nd, but I haven't put anything into my application for fear that I won't be able to change it once I do.

Edit: I haven't gone to all the 2nd looks yet, hence why I haven't formulated a solid rank yet.

Last edited:
So, excuse the neurotic question, but are you all actually inputting your rank into TMDSAS as a placeholder, or keeping it unofficial/in your head until Feb? I know deadline is Feb 2nd but i haven't put anything into my applicaiton for fear that I won't be able to change it once I do.
Every time you log in and hit "submit" on that rank page it will be saved with your new decisions. Don't wait until 4:55 on Feb 2, because failing to enter a rank means you are NOT in the TMDSAS Match!
Do it now and change it later if your mind changes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Every time you log in and hit "save" on that rank page it will be saved with your new decisions. Don't wait until 4:55 on Feb 2, because failing to enter a rank means you are NOT in the TMDSAS Match!
Do it now and change it later if your mind changes.
On my page the buttons just show as either “submit your preferences” or “not ready to enter.” I’m kind of neurotic about it since there’s no “save” option, so just making sure that even if I click “submit” I can still go back and edit until 02/02?

Yes, once you submit & save, you are still able to edit them! It will also say the last time you submitted:
Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 2.45.30 PM.png

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
On my page the buttons just show as either “submit your preferences” or “not ready to enter.” I’m kind of neurotic about it since there’s no “save” option, so just making sure that even if I click “submit” I can still go back and edit until 02/02?
Yess you can submit multiple times before the date

Submit = Save

I sent one of my school's transcripts to TMDSAS over 30 days ago (after Fall grades were released), and it has still not been marked as received. I asked TMDSAS, and they said they would just look out for it since my school only sends paper transcripts. When would it be appropriate to follow up again with TMDSAS about my transcript? Should I ask my school to send another transcript to TMDSAS?

I sent one of my school's transcripts to TMDSAS over 30 days ago (after Fall grades were released), and it has still not been marked as received. I asked TMDSAS, and they said they would just look out for it since my school only sends paper transcripts. When would it be appropriate to follow up again with TMDSAS about my transcript? Should I ask my school to send another transcript to TMDSAS?
Would wait till post match day

Has anyone received any physical mail for prematch acceptances or for anything else such as brochures?

I have a match day scenario question. Our premed advisor said you can hold two offers after match day, she briefly had mentioned this but did not go into detail. I guess my interpretation of match day is that you can either get no matches our match into one of the schools you ranked. Even if you have multiple pre-matches, those go away after you match into the school that you ranked the highest. Is that incorrect?

I have a match day scenario question. Our premed advisor said you can hold two offers after match day, she briefly had mentioned this but did not go into detail. I guess my interpretation of match day is that you can either get no matches our match into one of the schools you ranked. Even if you have multiple pre-matches, those go away after you match into the school that you ranked the highest. Is that incorrect?
You will come out of Match Day with one school, or “no match”.

If you match to the school you ranked #1, you’re done.

If you match to a school you ranked lower and later on get an offer from the WL of another school, you can have a little time to decide which one to keep. At that point you would briefly be holding 2 offers. You can take the new offer, or stick with original.

hi, I'm an applicant who applied to some schools in Texas for MD and some for MDPhD.
In terms of the match process, would I still rank the MD programs I interviewed at if I'm still waiting to hear back from MDPhD programs?
If I match to an MD program is that binding?
If I don't submit a rank list for the MD programs I interviewed do I lose out on them?
Not sure how to proceed. Thanks for any info

hi, I'm an applicant who applied to some schools in Texas for MD and some for MDPhD.
In terms of the match process, would I still rank the MD programs I interviewed at if I'm still waiting to hear back from MDPhD programs?
If I match to an MD program is that binding?
If I don't submit a rank list for the MD programs I interviewed do I lose out on them?
Not sure how to proceed. Thanks for any info
Yes, rank all the TMDSAS schools you are being considered for, for MD.

If you should also get an MD/PhD or MSTP offer, which are not included in the Match, you will have to compare and decide which one to take.

There is going to be a Live TMDSAS Q&A session Jan 29 at 1 PM Central where you can ask all your questions to the TMDSAS director

It will really help to go watch the Match video linked on the TMDSAS guide first, and have your questions ready to ask in the chat during this live presentation!

This is a very case-specific question, but this cycle I got 3 interviews, and it doesn’t look like I will get any prematches. I’m trying not to worry because I know that a majority of applicants get accepted during the match, but I still feel bogged down by the uncertainty of it all. Is there anyone here who was in a similar situation (perhaps in a previous cycle) and can speak to their experience? Or just anyone who can talk about a similar situation. Just for comfort haha

This is a very case-specific question, but this cycle I got 3 interviews, and it doesn’t look like I will get any prematches. I’m trying not to worry because I know that a majority of applicants get accepted during the match, but I still feel bogged down by the uncertainty of it all. Is there anyone here who was in a similar situation (perhaps in a previous cycle) and can speak to their experience? Or just anyone who can talk about a similar situation. Just for comfort haha
3 interviews is great- be sure you rank them all while waiting for Match Day.
Your situation is common

I think most of us are in the same boat (either lurkers or not on SDN). Sitting at 4 interviews with no prematches. Definitely falling victim to overthinking (especially since I’ve recently left a job and have a 2 week break until the new one starts). I don’t remember feeling bad after leaving any interviews, but now my brain is going back and changing my perception of that, questioning my GPA, experiences etc etc… the mind is crazy!

It helps to talk it out on here honestly. Yall are awesome!

I just wanted to clarify something but if we were rejected from a school post-II, we should just rank them as last right? It won't let me submit it without a number

I just wanted to clarify something but if we were rejected from a school post-II, we should just rank them as last right? It won't let me submit it without a number
Yes, that's what I would advise.
It would be nice if they had time to update the portal but they are not likely to rank you if you have been turned down, so don't waste a rank spot on them :(

How often typically after match day do OOS people find out results or if they are waitlisted?
I would like to know this as well. I'm kind of concerned because I had really early TMDSAS interviews (August, September) but have heard nothing. I am also OOS.

How much impact can a letter of intent have? I don’t really have much to put in a letter in terms of updates, I have simply been working on fulfilling my projected hours and coursework. However, I do have a clear top choice in mind. I’m just afraid that if I send a letter without much substance, or refrain from sending a letter at all, this might hurt my chances.

How much impact can a letter of intent have? I don’t really have much to put in a letter in terms of updates, I have simply been working on fulfilling my projected hours and coursework. However, I do have a clear top choice in mind. I’m just afraid that if I send a letter without much substance, or refrain from sending a letter at all, this might hurt my chances.
You worked on it too long! If you have nothing new to add, save it for a WL if you end up on one.

You worked on it too long! If you have nothing new to add, save it for a WL if you end up on one.
Thank you for replying! I thought so too, but since interviews were all virtual this year, I couldn’t really solidify my rankings until I had a chance to visit each school in person, and that was pretty late in the cycle, haha.

Where can we view our school rank? I submitted mine in Jan but don’t see it on TMDSAS since the date passed and kinda freaking out