*~*~*~* Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2023-2024 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the 2023-2024 application cycle for TMDSAS!

Whether you're already a Texan or you only know that Texans are amazing, here's where you can learn what you need to know about applying on the TMDSAS system.

TMDSAS has gone modern and the 2023-2024 Application Guide is all online, no printable .pdf to download.
Here is the link to the Guide: TMDSAS Guide

Put that link in your favorites on the browser for easy reference.

***When you are logged in and working on your application in the portal, be sure to save your page often. The site will "time out" after you've been on it for 60 minutes and you don't wanna lose 60 minutes of work!***

The application portal is available to begin filling in those blanks on May 1st, 2023.
You cannot submit it until after 8AM on May 15th, 2023.
Why? So you can proofread that thing over and over. You can't change anything once you hit submit!

You DON'T need to submit transcripts with your primary application.
You DO need to have all your Spring 2023 courses listed and wait for your Spring 2023 grades to come out so you can enter them in the application.
(If you attend a school on the quarter system you may apply with your winter quarter grades.)

Please read the application guide. Most everything is spelled out for you there.
TMDSAS will soon be holding weekly "TMDSAS Office Hours" on YouTube where you can ask specific questions live.

Your official mode of communication with TMDSAS for issues, problems, or questions is via messaging them in your TMDSAS portal.
This is the fastest way to get your answer, and please wait for your answer before submitting the application.

You can apply to ALL the TMDSAS schools for one application fee. Schools will have separate fees for the secondary applications later on.

That's all for this intro - time to get started!

AFTER you have turned it in, there will be some time needed for processing the application. The very first people to turn theirs in had it processed in a few days, but soon that processing time will grow to 2-4 weeks during the busy months.

Want to see what day's submission they are working on? Go to the TMDSAS Home Page TMDSAS Home Page
On a desktop or laptop you will see, on the right side of the page, something like this:

Screenshot 2023-06-06 at 7.12.42 PM.jpg

I took this screenshot on 6/6/2023, and it shows they are working on apps submitted on May 23rd.
TMDSAS crew works Monday through Friday.

The official mode of communication is to message them in your TMDSAS portal.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Texas Health Education Service (THES) is run by the same fine folks who administer TMDSAS.

If this is your first time applying to TMDSAS schools, you might want to tune in to this live presentation which will walk you through every part of the TMDSAS application. Tuesday May 2, 2023 at 1 PM Central Time on the THES YouTube channel.
In these live sessions you will be muted, but you can type in your questions to the chat and they will address as many as possible

Here is the link to the channel. THES YouTube Channel
Why not subscribe to it to get notices about other upcoming presentations? All presentations are archived if you can't make it, or ya forgot...:whistle:

They will be having their second presentation on Tuesday May 16, 2023 at 1PM Central Time - This one will be a Q & A and reminders of what to check before you hit submit on your application.

Actually you are allowed to hit submit on your app on May 15th, but...maybe tune in for help & to get any questions answered?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone get the error "An error occurred while processing your request." when adding the college information ? ive tried in both safari and chrome and still get the same message. does anyone know if its universal if not how can I fix it ?

Does anyone get the error "An error occurred while processing your request." when adding the college information ? ive tried in both safari and chrome and still get the same message. does anyone know if its universal if not how can I fix it ?
You have to first enter colleges you have attended and save.
Once you have listed all the colleges attended, you have to go back and enter every term attended, like
UT Fall 2019 save
UT Spring 2020 save
UT Fall 2020 save and on and on.
Once you have done alllllll that, go back and start entering the courses taken each term.
If you still have issues message TMDSAS in your portal for help

Are we also supposed to add community colleges where we took summer classes to the college information section?

Are we also supposed to add community colleges where we took summer classes to the college information section?
Yes, you will list every college, including community colleges, in the list of colleges attended.

If you got Dual- enrollment credits from a community college while in high school, include that one as well.
Be sure to include those HS years in the dates attended range so it will let you enter those classes.
Dual enrollment classes will be listed as "pre-freshman (PF)" for "term attended".

Hello, I accidentally confused my TMDSAS application with my AMCAS application and requested my transcripts to be sent to TMDSAS before TMDSAS asked for them - I'm less worried about the money and more worried about annoying the TMDSAS reviewers - does anyone know if there are any negative repercussions to doing this?

Hello, I accidentally confused my TMDSAS application with my AMCAS application and requested my transcripts to be sent to TMDSAS before TMDSAS asked for them - I'm less worried about the money and more worried about annoying the TMDSAS reviewers - does anyone know if there are any negative repercussions to doing this?
It’s ok
TMDSAS only asks for your transcript after you have been offered admission, the earliest day for that is October 15th.

To submit your TMDSAS app you need:
1. To wait until you know your Spring 2023 grades, to fill them in on your app
2. The names of your recommenders
3. Fill in all your blanks and essays
4. Select your TX schools
5. Release your MCAT scores from AAMC to TMDSAS
6. Pay the fee

Last edited:
Thank you for the answer! Sorry, I also had a couple other questions:

1. I have a parent who is an MD, but I don't know when they graduated (their exact, day, month and year) and I don't believe they would know either - should I just give my best guess?
2. I have no idea what my class size is, and my high school transcript does not show either - should I just give my best guess as well?
3. Finally, my college had a 4.0 grading scale - I was unable to find the exact scale I should use for converting these to letter grades for TMDSAS, is there a link/resource for this? I have 3.7 + 3.8 grades which I would assume are A-s, and a 3.1 grade which I would assume is a B but I just wanted to confirm.

Thank you for any help with these questions!

Thank you for the answer! Sorry, I also had a couple other questions:

1. I have a parent who is an MD, but I don't know when they graduated (their exact, day, month and year) and I don't believe they would know either - should I just give my best guess?
2. I have no idea what my class size is, and my high school transcript does not show either - should I just give my best guess as well?
3. Finally, my college had a 4.0 grading scale - I was unable to find the exact scale I should use for converting these to letter grades for TMDSAS, is there a link/resource for this? I have 3.7 + 3.8 grades which I would assume are A-s, and a 3.1 grade which I would assume is a B but I just wanted to confirm.

Thank you for any help with these questions!
Enter your grades exactly as they appear on the transcript, if the TMDSAS portal allows you to use decimal points,
if it doesn't allow this your 3.7 and 3.8 would be an A- and your 3.1 a B
On TMDSAS, A- and A are both given 4 points.
B-, B and B+ are all given 3 etc.
You can refer to the scale AMCAS uses : https://smhs.gwu.edu/sites/default/files/amcas_grade_conversion_chart.pdf

For your parent's graduation, don't they have their diploma hung up in their office? Graduation date is on it!
No? Then say May of whatever year.

HS class size give your best estimate or call your HS

Last edited:
Thank you Wysdoc!

I'm looking at the Socioeconomic information, specifically the question "Were you raised in a Medically Underserved area or commmunity during your formative and/or adolescent years?*". Using the tool provided, I verified that I lived in a Primary Care HPSA, but the area is not considered MUA/P. I believe this means that I should answer no, but does this mean that I did NOT grow up in a medically underserved area?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you Wysdoc!

I'm looking at the Socioeconomic information, specifically the question "Were you raised in a Medically Underserved area or commmunity during your formative and/or adolescent years?*". Using the tool provided, I verified that I lived in a Primary Care HPSA, but the area is not considered MUA/P. I believe this means that I should answer no, but does this mean that I did NOT grow up in a medically underserved area?
The TMDSAS folks going over the application online this week said your could look up the town you grew up in on the app to see how your town ranked. It sounds like you did that, and the answer was "not categorized as underserved."
If you feel you had a different experience while growing up there due to family circumstances, you can of course talk about that in a secondary essay if you get a secondary addressing a similar question.

Should we fit all our shadowing into one entry or separate it out?
If you feel your shadowing experiences were quite different and you want to say a little about each one, separate them out.
TMDSAS doesn't have a limit on number of entries.
If you plan to use the AMCAS app as well later, AMCAS does limit your activities to 15 so you would probably lump them together on AMCAS.

On either app, be sure to use the word shadowing in the title of your activity

Hello! I just want to make sure that I am inputting my course information into TMDSAS correctly. If I am taking Biol 587, is "Biol" the prefix and "587" the course number?
Also on my transcript, the course name is sometimes abbreviated. Do I input the abbreviations into TMDSAS, or do I write out the full name of each course?
Thank you in advance for the information!

Hello! I just want to make sure that I am inputting my course information into TMDSAS correctly. If I am taking Biol 587, is "Biol" the prefix and "587" the course number?
Also on my transcript, the course name is sometimes abbreviated. Do I input the abbreviations into TMDSAS, or do I write out the full name of each course?
Thank you in advance for the information!
That's right - and if you use the exact same abbreviations that are used on your transcript it will make the job of TMDSAS more efficient when they check your transcript against your TMDSAS application.
Remember, TMDSAS does not request transcripts from you until you have been accepted to a medical school - the very earliest that can happen is October 15, 2023.

Last edited:
my clinical is paid clinical and was wondering if Include it both in the employment section as well as in the healthcare activities ?

That's right - and if you use the exact same abbreviations that are used on your transcript it will make the job of TMDSAS more efficient when they check your transcript against your TMDSAS application.
Remember, TMDSAS does not request transcripts from you until you have been accepted to a medical school - the very earliest that can happen is October 15, 2023.
Thank you for the information!

1- Under degree information, is the "month degree planned or received" the same as the degree conferral date posted by the university (I plan on graduating in Fall2023).
2- I took dual credit classes back in high school (including the summer). I'm not sure what the difference is between putting summer, summer 1, or summer 2.

1- Under degree information, is the "month degree planned or received" the same as the degree conferral date posted by the university (I plan on graduating in Fall2023).
2- I took dual credit classes back in high school (including the summer). I'm not sure what the difference is between putting summer, summer 1, or summer 2.
1 - Yes if you are going to graduate in Fall 2023 find that date on your college calendar
2 - Dual credit classes are almost always affiliated with a local community college. You need to list that community college as one of your schools attended.
Entering dual enrollment HS classes: They will be called "Pre-freshman" (PF) on the dropdown menu for entering terms.
All your HS dual enrollment courses will be PF.

my clinical is paid clinical and was wondering if Include it both in the employment section as well as in the healthcare activities ?
Yes, that is allowed for this particular combination of activity categories. It's best to not copy/paste the same description though.
You could for example focus on the duties in the employment part and on what you learned/gained/ etc. in the Healthcare part

For TMDSAS, if we have activities that we started during high school, should we set the start date to when we started in HS or after HS graduation?

For TMDSAS, if we have activities that we started during high school, should we set the start date to when we started in HS or after HS graduation?
On TMDSAS the earliest you can list an activity is after graduating HS. If it was something pivotal or inspiring in your life you can bring it up in one of your essays.
However the essays should mostly feature your thoughts and perceptions as an adult.

For coursework, is the summer before freshman year freshman year or pre-freshman year? Sorry, I was unable to find any information on this

For coursework, is the summer before freshman year freshman year or pre-freshman year? Sorry, I was unable to find any information on this
Here's the explanation from the TMDSAS guide:
  • Indicate your academic status for the term. TMDSAS follows the traditional status classifications for undergraduate years. Status options include:
    • PF: Pre-Freshman (courses taken in high school)
    • FR: Freshman
    • SO: Sophomore
    • JR: Junior
    • SR: Senior
    • PB: Post-Baccalaureate (courses taken after the completion of a Bachelor's degree, including those for a subsequent Bachelor's degree)
    • GR: Graduate
  • Your academic status for courses can be entered using the following example:
    • PF - Fall 2018, FR - Fall 2018, FR - Spring 2019, FR - Summer 2019, SO - Fall 2019, SO - Spring 2020, etc.
So in your case, if you took a course for credit the summer before entering your regular college freshman year, include it in freshman.
If that was, instead, a dual-credit course you took during high school, choose PF.

Hi, Is working in the pharmacy at a hospital, counted as a healthcare activity. I worked in the IV lab and made sterile products, but only interacted with the pharmacist and other techs.

Hi, Is working in the pharmacy at a hospital, counted as a healthcare activity. I worked in the IV lab and made sterile products, but only interacted with the pharmacist and other techs.
This one you will list under employment, since you did not directly care for or interact with patients in your role.

But employment in such a responsible job in a healthcare facility would be a valuable thing on your application.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, if I have a research position I got paid for, would I put it in both employment and research or only research?

Hi, if I have a research position I got paid for, would I put it in both employment and research or only research?
I would choose research in this case.
The only instance to list the same activity in 2 categories on TMDSAS is if they are employment and also healthcare.

Yes, that is allowed for this particular combination of activity categories. It's best to not copy/paste the same description though.
You could for example focus on the duties in the employment part and on what you learned/gained/ etc. in the Healthcare part
Hello! When we list a certain activity under two categories, do we also have to split up the hours between the two activities so that they add up to the total or can we put the same number of hours in both? For example, if we were a community service leader for 150 hours, do we put 150 hours under leadership and 150 hours under community service or 75 hours under each?

Hello! When we list a certain activity under two categories, do we also have to split up the hours between the two activities so that they add up to the total or can we put the same number of hours in both? For example, if we were a community service leader for 150 hours, do we put 150 hours under leadership and 150 hours under community service or 75 hours under each?
Do your best to estimate the time spent in each duty

Asking for a friend: Am I at a disadvantage if I submit my TMDSAS primaries several days after the submission opens?

Hello! I had a quick question regarding AP credit on TMDSAS. My school has my scores as lump sum credit on my transcript. So that means I don't have to enter any of my scores, correct?
Also, the application guide says we have to get our registrar to email TMDSAS to verify credit. Should we do that soon, or do we wait until TMDSAS specifically asks us for that information (like we wait to submit our transcript)?
Thank you!

Hello! I had a quick question regarding AP credit on TMDSAS. My school has my scores as lump sum credit on my transcript. So that means I don't have to enter any of my scores, correct?
Also, the application guide says we have to get our registrar to email TMDSAS to verify credit. Should we do that soon, or do we wait until TMDSAS specifically asks us for that information (like we wait to submit our transcript)?
Thank you!
You don’t enter the AP scores (like 3,4,5) on TMDSAS. Instead you might be able to use specific credit hours awarded.
IF your transcript says “3hours biology-CR “ then you can use that for Bio credits but there is no grade to calculate into your GPA.
If your transcript just says something like “15 credits by exam” then you are out of luck.

You don’t enter the AP scores (like 3,4,5) on TMDSAS. Instead you might be able to use specific credit hours awarded.
IF your transcript says “3hours biology-CR “ then you can use that for Bio credits but there is no grade to calculate into your GPA.
If your transcript just says something like “15 credits by exam” then you are out of luck.
Thanks for the response! My transcript just says ## AP credits total. I know what scores I got from College Board, but I don't mind not including them since they didn't really let me skip many classes. But I also don't want to seem dishonest to TMDSAS if I don't include it in the college coursework section.

Do you think I'll be at a disadvantage reapplying this year? I submitted a primary applicaiton last year pretty late to TMDSAS. Decided not to submit any secondaries as I decided to take a gap year and strengthen my application and MCAT score. Will this negatively afffectly me when I reapply this year (the fact that I didn't submit any secondaries last cycle)?

Do you think I'll be at a disadvantage reapplying this year? I submitted a primary applicaiton last year pretty late to TMDSAS. Decided not to submit any secondaries as I decided to take a gap year and strengthen my application and MCAT score. Will this negatively afffectly me when I reapply this year (the fact that I didn't submit any secondaries last cycle)?
You are still a reapplicant since you submitted your primary last year so just answer all the questions about it.
When you check the reapplicant box 2 more questions will appear.
1. What have you been doing since the last time you applied? The answer to this should be just listing your jobs or actions.
2. How have you improved your application since last time? This answer can be a short essay.

I’m explaining this here because others might have the same question,
But
All this is in the TMDSAS guide and you should read it in detail as you are filling it out and follow links to explanations.

Last edited:
I’ve got a question about current vs. planned activities and completed hours vs. projected. On the application guide under “Activities,” they say current activities are anything you will be involved in up to November 2023. If this is the case, should I estimate my completed hours through November or up to the date of submission?

The prompt is: Briefly discuss any unique circumstances or life experiences that are relevant to your application which have not previously been presented.

Can I use the TMDSAS optional essay to talk about having an uncommon educational path? I mention it briefly in my personal statement (a single brief paragraph), but I don't know if that counts as having "previously been presented."

Is it okay to use this optional essay space to write more about it if I'm not redundant with what I mentioned before?

Last edited:
I’ve got a question about current vs. planned activities and completed hours vs. projected. On the application guide under “Activities,” they say current activities are anything you will be involved in up to November 2023. If this is the case, should I estimate my completed hours through November or up to the date of submission?
estimate your hours participation up to November 1.
Try not to overestimate :)

The prompt is: Briefly discuss any unique circumstances or life experiences that are relevant to your application which have not previously been presented.

Can I use the TMDSAS optional essay to talk about having an uncommon educational path (i.e., prior professional degree) and how I hope to use the skills I developed and/or how it's affected my perspective on medicine? I mention it briefly in my personal statement (a single brief paragraph), but I don't know if that counts as having "previously been presented."

Is it okay to use this optional essay space to write more about it if I'm not redundant with what I mentioned before?
"which has not been previously presented"
If you spent a paragraph on it in the personal statement, it has been previously presented.
You can
A) think of something else for your optional essay
B) remove that story from your personal statement and have more space for it here, talk about something else in that space in the personal statement.

Rewriting is tough, good luck this time.

If I have an activity that is extracurricular (coaching) but I was a leader in it, I list in both correct?

Also, do pre-med organizations count as community engagement? Bc I think extracurricular activities are more like hobbies.

If I have an activity that is extracurricular (coaching) but I was a leader in it, I list in both correct?

Also, do pre-med organizations count as community engagement? Bc I think extracurricular activities are more like hobbies.
You can, but you don’t have to unless you have too much to say in one description.

Pre-med orgs are clubs primarily- did yours do any real community outreach, service, volunteering, or work?

You can, but you don’t have to unless you have too much to say in one description.

Pre-med orgs are clubs primarily- did yours do any real community outreach, service, volunteering, or work?
We did do volunteering as a group in our community but it was just 1 part of our org. We also had lots of speakers, shadowing, mentorship stuff, etc. Do u suggest putting it under extracurricular then?

Also, I have tutoring under community engagement, is that fine?

Thank u!