*~*~*~* Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2023-2024 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it normal to only have interviews from Baylor and UTSW? I’m IS and my LM is 74.

My app got transmitted in august had both those interviews in September, but it’s been radio silence from all the other texas schools. Just curious to see if others are in a similar boat. Getting kinda nervous with interview season coming to an end

My two interviews are also Baylor and UTSW. IS, II in September, interviewed in October, LM 70. I think the interviews went well, but I’m concerned about matching given stats. Happy but definitely not expected. Also hoping to hear from other schools, but in any case hoping for a good February haha

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
My two interviews are also Baylor and UTSW. IS, II in September, interviewed in October, LM 70. I think the interviews went well, but I’m concerned about matching given stats. Happy but definitely not expected. Also hoping to hear from other schools, but in any case hoping for a good February haha
I'm in a similar position. I've interviewed at a few schools so far, but I am wayyyy below their average GPA and MCAT stats. My logic is that you have an actual, solid chance if you were offered an interview, regardless of your GPA/MCAT/Casper/bench press. They would not waste an interview on you if they didn't see redeemable qualities.

This cycle will not end anytime soon, so let us hope for some good news in the next few months.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Thoughts on sending letters of continued interest to schools interviewed in August/September? The wait to February has definitely been taking a toll on me… so scared of not matching! Interviewed late August to mid September for McGovern, TAMU, and Baylor and I’m hoping they won’t forget about me. Also have started volunteering, so I’m wondering if I should send an update or if it’s not enough for an update and will annoy the admission offices. TIA!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thoughts on sending letters of continued interest to schools interviewed in August/September? The wait to February has definitely been taking a toll on me… so scared of not matching! Interviewed late August to mid September for McGovern, TAMU, and Baylor and I’m hoping they won’t forget about me. Also have started volunteering, so I’m wondering if I should send an update or if it’s not enough for an update and will annoy the admission offices. TIA!
If you have already interviewed there’s not much reason to send updates now. Just be sure you rank and save your list on TMDSAS before the Feb 2 deadline.

Reactions: 1 user
I have II from four TMDSAS schools and am extremely grateful for these opportunities. Each school will offer me a unique experience. Interestingly, three out of the four schools are at a shorter distance from my home than other TMDSAS schools. But my MCAT being slightly lower than their median. I wonder, is there any correlation between schools interviewing candidates who are geographically closer? Considering that final acceptances depend on the overall strength of the application and not just the interview, is it wise to send letters of interest to 3 other the schools where my MCAT score is more competitive ? Also, would sending these letters impact my chances at the schools where I've already interviewed ? Happy thanksgivings, y’all !

Last edited:
I have II from four TMDSAS schools and am extremely grateful for these opportunities. Each school will offers me a unique experience. Interestingly, three out of the four schools are at a shorter distance from my home than other TMDSAS schools. But my MCAT being slightly lower than their median. I wonder, is there any correlation between schools interviewing candidates who are geographically closer? Considering that final acceptances depend on the overall strength of the application and not just the interview, is it wise to send letters of interest to 3 other the schools where my MCAT score is more competitive ? Also, would sending these letters impact my chances at the schools where I've already interviewed ? Happy thanksgivings, y’all !
I’ve never heard of a geographical correlation in the way you’re describing-
Only write a letter if you have something important to say that’s either new or that you didn’t have time for at your interview, or if you want to write a letter of intent to one school only.
Otherwise, do your thinking about what order you want to rank your 4 schools in for Match.

I wonder, is there any correlation between schools interviewing candidates who are geographically closer?
I emphasize mission fit is very important, including a commitment to service with the local community as defined by the medical school. I don't know what correlation you are referring to that falls outside this concept. I agree you should put your energy in ranking the schools.

Reactions: 1 users
hi, just a pre-match question..........if we interviewed at more than one school, but only received one pre-match offer from a school and decided to rank your pre-match school as number 1, does that mean I will get in, or is there a still chance I might not match to that school?

I guess what I am trying to ask is, If I really like my ONLY pre-match offer, and rank them number 1, will I get in?

hi, just a pre-match question..........if we interviewed at more than one school, but only received one pre-match offer from a school and decided to rank your pre-match school as number 1, does that mean I will get in, or is there a still chance I might not match to that school?

I guess what I am trying to ask is, If I really like my ONLY pre-match offer, and rank them number 1, will I get in?
Yes you’re guaranteed to match. You’re accepted! If it’s your top choice and you don’t want to attend another school, your cycle is pretty much done!

Yes if you rank a pre-match school #1 that’s where you will be going.

Hi, quick question about updates/letters of interest, not just for TMDSAS but all schools. If I just had a paper published, but mentioned in my activities from primaries that I was a research assistant and second author already for that paper that was currently under peer review, does that count? It’s gone from peer review to publication since then which is obviously the main update, but I feel like I was already implying that I was going to have a publication soon in my primaries. I also have an update that I presented at a conference, but in my primaries I listed that I “will be presenting” it at the conference in a few months since I had already confirmed that. Basically I feel like they’re not really updates since I outlined that they would be happening in the future, but any feedback would be helpful, also because I would love to send some letters of interest to my top school choices. Thanks so much!

Hi, quick question about updates/letters of interest, not just for TMDSAS but all schools. If I just had a paper published, but mentioned in my activities from primaries that I was a research assistant and second author already for that paper that was currently under peer review, does that count? It’s gone from peer review to publication since then which is obviously the main update, but I feel like I was already implying that I was going to have a publication soon in my primaries. I also have an update that I presented at a conference, but in my primaries I listed that I “will be presenting” it at the conference in a few months since I had already confirmed that. Basically I feel like they’re not really updates since I outlined that they would be happening in the future, but any feedback would be helpful, also because I would love to send some letters of interest to my top school choices. Thanks so much!
Your paper moving from submitted to published is worth an update, you don't need to update about the conference. But be very concise and to the point in your update emails, don't ramble. Mention your update and 1 or 2 reasons you will be a good fit for the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your paper moving from submitted to published is worth an update, you don't need to update about the conference. But be very concise and to the point in your update emails, don't ramble. Mention your update and 1 or 2 reasons you will be a good fit for the school.
A follow up: is a paper being submitted and under review enough to warrant an update letter/email as well?

A follow up: is a paper being submitted and under review enough to warrant an update letter/email as well?
I would say…
Yes if the paper wasn’t previously on your app.
No if the “update” is simply moving from being in prep to being submitted.

Hi guys! I’ve been avoiding thinking about rank day as I’m very indecisive, but it’s about that time where I should start. I wanted to get people’s opinions on questions that may be important to ask current students/other factors to consider when it comes to ranking schools? Any help would be very appreciated!

Hi guys! I’ve been avoiding thinking about rank day as I’m very indecisive, but it’s about that time where I should start. I wanted to get people’s opinions on questions that may be important to ask current students/other factors to consider when it comes to ranking schools? Any help would be very appreciated!
When you have come up with some questions about the schools you have interviewed with, you can make a thread in this forum: Help Me Decide: X vs Y Medical School

You can also search the forum by title for your schools, or just browse through and see others who have been talking about that school.
That forum will get a lot more active in January :)

Hey y'all, do you know which Texas schools accept update letters Pre/Post-II? I just got a publication in a pretty solid journal and I would like to update the schools.

Hey y'all, do you know which Texas schools accept update letters Pre/Post-II? I just got a publication in a pretty solid journal and I would like to update the schools.
I got bored and answered my own question

Please correct me if y'all know any information that is contrary to what I have presented here.

Schools that accept updates:

UTMB (Proof: Link)
UTRGV (Proof: It's on the application portal)
Baylor (Only accepts Pre-II updates but do accept Post-II LOI:
Link)
TCOM (Proof: I sent one and they took it lol)
Long (Proof:
Link)
UT Southwestern (I do not have ~proof~ for this but I have seen it said on the internet many times)
McGovern (Only accepts updates post-II. Source: it came to me in a vision and also SDN)

Schools that do not accept update letters:

TTU El Paso (Proof: Link)
SHSU (Proof:
Link)
UT Tyler (Proof:
Link)
The University of Houston (Proof: SDN Users)

Schools I can't find definite information on:
Dell
Texas Tech Lubbock
Texas A&M

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Pin it!!

Please correct me if y'all know any information that is contrary to what I have presented here.

Link)
Long (Proof:
Link)
UT Southwestern (I do not have ~proof~ for this but I have seen it said on the internet many times)

SHSU (Proof:
Link)
UT Tyler (Proof:
Link

University of Houston
Dell
Texas Tech Lubbock
Texas A&M

Link)
Long (Proof:
Link)

SHSU (Proof:
Link)
UT Tyler (Proof:
Link

University of Houston
Dell
Texas Tech Lubbock
Texas A&M

I emailed UH, they don’t accept any additional documents like update letters/letters of intent. I think TAMU accepts because their portal has the option to upload

Hi all!
I am currently thinking of ranking my schools as follows:
1. McGovern
2. SW
3. Baylor
4. Long
5. UTMB
6. PLFSOM
7. TAMU
I would have ranked Baylor 1st, but the possibility of being located in temple is a big deciding factor for me. After touring and attending the zoom informationals, it just does not seem that Temple offers the same opportunities as the Baylor Houston campus does in terms of research, clinicals, etc. (lecture is zooming into htx campus 90% of the time). I do not see myself loving Temple, but I do not want to make the mistake of missing out on the Baylor namesake because of this. Thoughts?

Hi all!
I am currently thinking of ranking my schools as follows:
1. McGovern
2. SW
3. Baylor
4. Long
5. UTMB
6. PLFSOM
7. TAMU
I would have ranked Baylor 1st, but the possibility of being located in temple is a big deciding factor for me. After touring and attending the zoom informationals, it just does not seem that Temple offers the same opportunities as the Baylor Houston campus does in terms of research, clinicals, etc. (lecture is zooming into htx campus 90% of the time). I do not see myself loving Temple, but I do not want to make the mistake of missing out on the Baylor namesake because of this. Thoughts?
Thoughts: Your blessed!

WOW. What a dream lineup. List looks good but my question is why is McGovern ahead of UTSW?

Wait are we discussing our match ranking lists like they did in the thread last year?

as finals are around the corner for me, I wanted to ask if medical schools care about your GPA dropping during your final year of college even after you are accepted? (I'm talking about your GPA dropping from the GPA calculated on TMDSAS when you applied)

I have worked really hard till now and now I feel like I am still stressed about maintaining my GPA, but does it matter? has anyone heard of a medical school retracting an offer once finalized GPAs and transcripts are sent before starting medical school?

Thanks for all the help and advice!!

I feel like we should discuss this in the republic of Texas thread since this is more application inputting questions

as finals are around the corner for me, I wanted to ask if medical schools care about your GPA dropping during your final year of college even after you are accepted? (I'm talking about your GPA dropping from the GPA calculated on TMDSAS when you applied)

I have worked really hard till now and now I feel like I am still stressed about maintaining my GPA, but does it matter? has anyone heard of a medical school retracting an offer once finalized GPAs and transcripts are sent before starting medical school?

Thanks for all the help and advice!!
Really only if you suddenly get C's, D's and F's or don't pass a pre-req.
Schools do have some boilerplate statements on their offer of admission like "contingent on successful completion of degree etc.".

drop your rankings 👀
Here is how I am potentially thinking of ranking my schools:

1. Baylor
2. UTSW (Have not interviewed yet, but will soon)
3. UTMB
4. McGovern
5. TAMU
6. TTU Lubbock
7. TTU El Paso
8. SHSU (Pre-matched)

Edit: Moved details to Republic of Texas thread.

Because he likes Texas Medical Center, and McGovern is just down the street from Baylor in the TMC
MD Anderson is right next to Baylor too; it really is like a medical wonderland 🤩

Hey y'all! Great to see a lot of IIs and success from fellow Texans. Had a question about letters of intent if anyone could help out. 3 IIs so far but was wondering when the ideal time would be to submit a letter of intent to my top choice (if that's even recommended for Texas schools). I'm guessing anytime before Feb 2nd since that is when we have to finalize our list/rank, but was wondering when would be too early/late. If I was to send a letter of intent, what information am I allowed to disclose? Like can I say that they are my 1st ranked school or am I not allowed to reveal that info?

Hey y'all! Great to see a lot of IIs and success from fellow Texans. Had a question about letters of intent if anyone could help out. 3 IIs so far but was wondering when the ideal time would be to submit a letter of intent to my top choice (if that's even recommended for Texas schools). I'm guessing anytime before Feb 2nd since that is when we have to finalize our list/rank, but was wondering when would be too early/late. If I was to send a letter of intent, what information am I allowed to disclose? Like can I say that they are my 1st ranked school or am I not allowed to reveal that info?
I would keep it general as in “you are my clear choice over the other two schools where I interviewed” or even just the reasons the school is your first choice and a good fit.

First check to see if they accept such letters, and if not state your intentions by ranking them #1 in your match ranking

I would wait until all interviews are complete in early January so that way you don't have any surprise interviews come up, which could potentially become your new #1 choice after you submit your LOI.

FYI for anyone that has taken classes at a quarter system school put in the decimal value of how many units the classes are worth do not convert to semester hours TMDSAS will do that for you. I had an issue on the number of semester hours on PCR and just got it fixed and it was because I thought I needed to convert to semester hours when it asked in the application.
Hi, I also have some quarter classes. Do you, by chance, know if, after the conversation, for example, 5 quarters converted to 3.3 semesters, and instead of having 8 semester hours of general chemistry, now I have 7.3 hours of general chemistry, would this hurt my admission chances? Or would it just be flagged, and can I take it before matriculation to medical school? Or would it normally just be waived since it is a 0.7 credit discrepancy? Thanks. I haven't met anyone who has had this problem and have been searching for an answer.Thanks.

Here is how I am potentially thinking of ranking my schools:

1. Baylor
2. UTSW (Have not interviewed yet, but will soon)
3. UTMB
4. McGovern
5. TAMU
6. TTU Lubbock
7. TTU El Paso
8. SHSU (Pre-matched)

Edit: Moved details to Republic of Texas thread.
Curious about your rationale for UTMB over McGovern. I prematched at UTMB and have been back and forth about which way to go in terms of ranking these two.

I know to only send a letter of intent to one school, but do we pick only from schools from which we interviewed? When is a good time to send it, and do LOIs make much of a difference for TMDSAS schools?

Sorry for the question spam, but I do have one about the TMDSAS Match itself. In the end, is it the school's rank that holds the most authority in determining who matches?

For example, if someone has a school ranked 4th in their list while another has it ranked 1st, will the algorithm match them to the school (if they didn't match into the previous 3) over the one who ranked 1st if they are ranked higher in the school's list? Is that how it works? The person who ranked 1st arguably has higher commitment and/or interest in the school, so I was wondering if that was considered.

Sorry for the question spam, but I do have one about the TMDSAS Match itself. In the end, is it the school's rank that holds the most authority in determining who matches?

For example, if someone has a school ranked 4th in their list while another has it ranked 1st, will the algorithm match them to the school (if they didn't match into the previous 3) over the one who ranked 1st if they are ranked higher in the school's list? Is that how it works? The person who ranked 1st arguably has higher commitment and/or interest in the school, so I was wondering if that was considered.
The rank algorithm slightly favors the student's wishes. However if there are still some spaces in the class, they can go to those who ranked it 2, 3, 4 etc.
However, if you ranked a school #1 and they ranked you #800 among their interviewees, chances are slim.
Have you watched the video?

Curious about your rationale for UTMB over McGovern. I prematched at UTMB and have been back and forth about which way to go in terms of ranking these two.

I have strong ties to UTMB and it is close to home. Plus the P/F curriculum also helps.

One of the med students at the UTMB tour day said they also faced a dilemma between UTMB and McGovern but ultimately chose UTMB because of P/F curriculum, NBME exams, and the relaxed vibe.

I never thought I’d be in this position but should I withdraw from one of my prematches?

Basically, I prematched at TCOM and UTMB. I know I would go to UTMB over TCOM in quite literally every circumstance. As such, it would be thoughtful for me to withdraw my prematch as to give it to someone else, right? Like there aren’t any secret downsides to withdrawing a prematch? Thanks yall.

• Love
I never thought I’d be in this position but should I withdraw from one of my prematches?

Basically, I prematched at TCOM and UTMB. I know I would go to UTMB over TCOM in quite literally every circumstance. As such, it would be thoughtful for me to withdraw my prematch as to give it to someone else, right? Like there aren’t any secret downsides to withdrawing a prematch? Thanks yall.
No downsides if you are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN you do not want to go to the other school. I had this same question last year and was glad I waited to withdraw because I got scholarship offers from my prematch schools. I'm not sure how TCOM is with scholarships and financial aid; if $$ will not sway you either way then you can withdraw the prematch if you want.

You’re the best 🫡

I don’t know anything about TCOM’s scholarships but it might be worth giving them a quick email or call before you withdraw!

I know once a TMDSAS school extends an II, they can see where else you had IIs, but can they also see all of the schools you applied to overall? For example, would they be able to see I didn’t bother with Tyler/RGV (d/t lack of ties, opportunity cost of time/effort) and think I’m not dedicated enough or something? Thank you in advance! (24-25 cycle)

I know once a TMDSAS school extends an II, they can see where else you had IIs, but can they also see all of the schools you applied to overall? For example, would they be able to see I didn’t bother with Tyler/RGV (d/t lack of ties, opportunity cost of time/effort) and think I’m not dedicated enough or something? Thank you in advance! (24-25 cycle)
It's OK to not apply to every school on the TMDSAS list.
It's a myth that fails to die !
Knowing that UT Tyler, as an example, only wants people who have strong East Texas ties and who plan to settle down there is a valid reason not to apply, if that doesn't describe you.