*~*~*~* Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2023-2024 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey yall,
Can i still add coursework for a class i took last summer? I tried adding it but it wouldnt let me? would i have to contact tmdsas?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey yall,
Can i still add coursework for a class i took last summer? I tried adding it but it wouldnt let me? would i have to contact tmdsas?
There’s no need to add any more courses right now.

If you have had interviews and match to a school, your matched school will ask you to send a final transcript

Reactions: 1 user
There’s no need to add any more courses right now.

If you have had interviews and match to a school, your matched school will ask you to send a final transcript
got it! should i still add my spring courses this semester or just wait till after match day?

Members don't see this ad :)
When do OOS students typically get the pre-II R now that its closed? Theres a few schools I still havent heard from

When do OOS students typically get the pre-II R now that its closed? Theres a few schools I still havent heard from
Interviews are officially over for all the TMDSAS MD and DO schools.
Though I usually urge y’all not to assume anything,
in this case if you haven’t interviewed with a TMDSAS school by Feb 2 2024, you are turned down.

Hi:) If I didn't match into a school that I interviewed for, does that mean that I am on their waitlist?

Or does that mean I'm most likely rejected? Am I only on their waitlist if I get an email from the school saying that I am?

Hi:) If I didn't match into a school that I interviewed for, does that mean that I am on their waitlist?

Or does that mean I'm most likely rejected? Am I only on their waitlist if I get an email from the school saying that I am?
Check on the relevant school threads - it is variable.
Long says everyone is on their WL
UTMB says 200 will be selected for the WL
McGovern will email you telling you if you did (or didn't) make the WL

And so on.

Okay, thank you so much!
Check on the relevant school threads - it is variable.
Long says everyone is on their WL
UTMB says 200 will be selected for the WL
McGovern will email you telling you if you did (or didn't) make the WL

And so on.

I'm so sorry since I'm sure this information is out there, but I just wanted to be absolutely sure. If I have an OOS acceptance that I'm pretty sure that I prefer over the school I matched to, I can still "accept my offer" to my match school to give myself more time to think, right?

I'm so sorry since I'm sure this information is out there, but I just wanted to be absolutely sure. If I have an OOS acceptance that I'm pretty sure that I prefer over the school I matched to, I can still "accept my offer" to my match school to give myself more time to think, right?
yes i’m in the same situation, you have until april 30 or may 1 to decide i forgot

Reactions: 1 users
yes i’m in the same situation, you have until april 30 or may 1 to decide i forgot
I am pretty sure the April 30th deadline is for AMCAS schools. I also am deciding between multiple OOS offers and my IS Match School as well.

Same position. Yes you can

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes you can. If you decide to accept the OOS offer you will write directly to your match school and officially withdraw.
Verify the final commitment deadlines at all the schools

Hi, if I had accepted a prematch offer but matched to my #1 school on match day, do I need to do anything to rescind my acceptance of the prematch offer? or does the system/school auto-rescind it because of the results of match day?

Hi, if I had accepted a prematch offer but matched to my #1 school on match day, do I need to do anything to rescind my acceptance of the prematch offer? or does the system/school auto-rescind it because of the results of match day?

I think it auto rescinds because it shows that on CYMS for me. Just the portals for me don’t revert back to how they looked prior to the pre-matches.

Actually it’s more like an auto-withdraw rather than an auto-rescind I think.

The Match system will give you your Match school and drop off any schools, including other prematches, that you ranked lower

Logistical question - what is the protocol for a re-application while on waitlists? Are you allowed to submit an application to schools you are waitlisted at for the next year?

Logistical question - what is the protocol for a re-application while on waitlists? Are you allowed to submit an application to schools you are waitlisted at for the next year?
Yes, you can submit an app to schools you are currently waitlisted at without issue. If you somehow get off the waitlist between now and when school starts then you can contact TMDSAS to notify/withdraw your primary.

Yes, you can submit an app to schools you are currently waitlisted at without issue. If you somehow get off the waitlist between now and when school starts then you can contact TMDSAS to notify/withdraw your primary.
thank you!

Is it a death sentence to withdraw an acceptance and reapply? I was urged by advisors to apply to every school and attend every interview because it was a red flag not to do so. However I matched at a school I have no desire to attend for a multitude of reasons, and honestly am at the point of wanting to reapply if I don’t get off any of the waitlists of the schools I love. Will declining an acceptance put a red flag on my application for next year and lessen my chance of an interview/match?

Is it a death sentence to withdraw an acceptance and reapply? I was urged by advisors to apply to every school and attend every interview because it was a red flag not to do so. However I matched at a school I have no desire to attend for a multitude of reasons, and honestly am at the point of wanting to reapply if I don’t get off any of the waitlists of the schools I love. Will declining an acceptance put a red flag on my application for next year and lessen my chance of an interview/match?
I’m sure you will be asked about it.
If the reason is just that it’s not your dream school, that’s not much of a reason to withdraw.

I am just another applicant whos applying this cycle so take this advice with a grain of salt. I do think it could potentially hurt your chances. It is incredibly hard to get into medical school in the first place. The school that you potentially want to withdraw from could look negatively at that and not even interview you because you in their eyes you "wasted their time and chance". However, if you think its really going to make you unhappy it could be an option to reapply and just not apply to that school again. However, will you beat yourself up if you reapply and don't get in anywhere? Will you regret withdrawing? I think you are very fortunate and should keep the acceptance because medical school is so hard to get into

I am just another applicant whos applying this cycle so take this advice with a grain of salt. I do think it could potentially hurt your chances. It is incredibly hard to get into medical school in the first place. The school that you potentially want to withdraw from could look negatively at that and not even interview you because you in their eyes you "wasted their time and chance". However, if you think its really going to make you unhappy it could be an option to reapply and just not apply to that school again. However, will you beat yourself up if you reapply and don't get in anywhere? Will you regret withdrawing? I think you are very fortunate and should keep the acceptance because medical school is so hard to get into
Yeah, reapplying I would only apply to schools that I know I would want to attend. At this point I’m praying to get off a waitlist because I of course don’t want to wait around for a chance to start my career but also I think if I reapplied and got into any of the schools I prefer it would be eight my career way more and my mental state would be exceptionally better because i have a lot of personal reasons that I would be miserable at the school I got into. Is it ultimately a question of if I’m willing to gamble my shot at becoming a doctor? Or take the “safe bet” and go somewhere that I know can hold me back educationally and in my career where I will be miserable for the next 4+ years of my life…?

I’m in a tough spot my application has no major flaws and I’m a pretty good interviewer, like you said it’s just really tough to get in. Maybe taking a gap year is the little bit more I need but if the schools see declining a seat as a major red flag idk if it’s worth it. But like I said I also don’t want to be miserable. Just looking for advice, does anyone know of anyone who has declined a seat and reapplied and gotten in?

I have a friend who withdrew from a DO acceptance three years ago. She still has not gotten in. She could be applying for residency right now.

I would only decline if you’d rather go nowhere / carib than there, simply bc there’s no guarantee you’ll end up somewhere.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Yeah, reapplying I would only apply to schools that I know I would want to attend. At this point I’m praying to get off a waitlist because I of course don’t want to wait around for a chance to start my career but also I think if I reapplied and got into any of the schools I prefer it would be eight my career way more and my mental state would be exceptionally better because i have a lot of personal reasons that I would be miserable at the school I got into. Is it ultimately a question of if I’m willing to gamble my shot at becoming a doctor? Or take the “safe bet” and go somewhere that I know can hold me back educationally and in my career where I will be miserable for the next 4+ years of my life…?

I’m in a tough spot my application has no major flaws and I’m a pretty good interviewer, like you said it’s just really tough to get in. Maybe taking a gap year is the little bit more I need but if the schools see declining a seat as a major red flag idk if it’s worth it. But like I said I also don’t want to be miserable. Just looking for advice, does anyone know of anyone who has declined a seat and reapplied and gotten in?
If you would be so miserable that you would rather not be a doctor than attend there, just know that’s how big of a risk it is. Adcoms will be able to see that you have had the chance to become a doctor and passed on it, so you would definitely have an uphill battle. Just know it will be a risk, because many highly qualified people apply and receive no interviews each year - or interview at multiple programs and come out with no acceptances.

If you would be so miserable that you would rather not be a doctor than attend there, just know that’s how big of a risk it is. Adcoms will be able to see that you have had the chance to become a doctor and passed on it, so you would definitely have an uphill battle. Just know it will be a risk, because many highly qualified people apply and receive no interviews each year - or interview at multiple programs and come out with no acceptances.
That’s my thing, I am passionate about medicine and becoming a doctor. If I knew that I would never get in if I decline and never be a doctor I would go in a heartbeat and deal with the consequences of my situation and make the best of it. On the other hand if I knew I could get an offer somewhere I want to be next year I’d take that delay in a heartbeat.

That’s my thing, I am passionate about medicine and becoming a doctor. If I knew that I would never get in if I decline and never be a doctor I would go in a heartbeat and deal with the consequences of my situation and make the best of it. On the other hand if I knew I could get an offer somewhere I want to be next year I’d take that delay in a heartbeat.
I really do not want to sound too pessimistic, but if they don’t end up offering you this cycle (there is time to get off WL still), there is absolutely no guarantee that they would even offer you an interview next cycle, much less an acceptance. It would be extremely risky to take that chance - but it is your coin to flip, my friend.

I really do not want to sound too pessimistic, but if they don’t end up offering you this cycle (there is time to get off WL still), there is absolutely no guarantee that they would even offer you an interview next cycle, much less an acceptance. It would be extremely risky to take that chance - but it is your coin to flip, my friend.
thank you

If you don’t get off of the waitlists to these schools this cycle, what in a subsequent application could you possibly do to earn interviews/acceptances that would outweigh the extreme negative of turning down a guaranteed spot?!? It seems like a crazy risk.

Let me ask you this- next year, if/when interviewers ask you why you declined your admission this year, what are you going to say?

My personal opinion: no, don’t drop your admission. The acceptance rate in state is like 30% for first time applicants and it drops down abysmally after that. I would consider it a red flag when interviewing. Who’s to say you won’t pull the same thing again?

For better or for worse, there are going to be moments in your training where you gotta just buckle up and make the best of a less than ideal situation. When you’re assigned to a ****ty rotation in MS3 what are you going to do, take a gap year and hope for a better location? What happens if you match to a residency that’s not ideal, are you going to release it and reapply? (Don’t do this, obviously.) The school you matched into wanted you there. I think that’s so important to remember - you beat the odds, they decided to bet on you and believe in you. I would take that and run with it. You wanna be a doctor, right? Someone just gave you a chance to make that dream come true.

As someone else asked above, I am curious what you don’t like about your match school.

Reactions: 4 users
Let me ask you this- next year, if/when interviewers ask you why you declined your admission this year, what are you going to say?

My personal opinion: no, don’t drop your admission. The acceptance rate in state is like 30% for first time applicants and it drops down abysmally after that. I would consider it a red flag when interviewing. Who’s to say you won’t pull the same thing again?

For better or for worse, there are going to be moments in your training where you gotta just buckle up and make the best of a less than ideal situation. When you’re assigned to a ****ty rotation in MS3 what are you going to do, take a gap year and hope for a better location? What happens if you match to a residency that’s not ideal, are you going to release it and reapply? (Don’t do this, obviously.) The school you matched into wanted you there. I think that’s so important to remember - you beat the odds, they decided to bet on you and believe in you. I would take that and run with it. You wanna be a doctor, right? Someone just gave you a chance to make that dream come true.

As someone else asked above, I am curious what you don’t like about your match school.
Yeah echo this, no guarantees no matter what. Me and several people on the forums had a good amount of in-state interviews and didn't match at all - but I will say that I do sympathize with you bc I completely understand what you're feeling. Just gotta grind your ass off and keep your head down for 4 years and then go to whatever city you want for residency. That's my mindset right now anyways

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Thank you guys I appreciate it a lot, and don’t get me wrong I am incredibly thankful for the opportunity and my heart goes out to those not fortunate enough to have matched this time around. I think I’m probably going to take yalls advice and if I don’t get off a waitlist just make the best out of a less than ideal situation. I hope everything goes well for anyone on waitlists/ in similar situations though!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
I matched on TMDSAS match day but haven’t received a transcript request yet. When should we typically expect the request ?

When TMDSAS schools look at who to pull off WL, what can they see about us - for example can they see how many interviews/where we interviewed and if we matched or not? And if so, would they see not matching as a red flag or would they feel bad and be more likely to pull us off lol + can they see we have any WL/A OOS @wysdoc

Last edited:
I matched on TMDSAS match day but haven’t received a transcript request yet. When should we typically expect the request ?
By chance, did you prematch? You may have received a transcript request back then

Message TMDSAS in your portal and ask them how they would like to receive your official transcript.
Your match school will also be asking you for one sent directly to them from your college or colleges.
Congratulations on matching!

I have a match and know that I can get off of a waitlist until May 15th, but can someone explain the April 30th deadline. I have been reading up on it and a lot of sources online say that you have to commit to enroll to a school by that date using the AMCAS CYMS tool, but texas schools don't really use that. And then my school in particular says you have to narrow everything down to one school and not even be on other waitlists after April 30th but to me that doesn't make sense if May 15th is the deadline.

I have a match and know that I can get off of a waitlist until May 15th, but can someone explain the April 30th deadline. I have been reading up on it and a lot of sources online say that you have to commit to enroll to a school by that date using the AMCAS CYMS tool, but texas schools don't really use that. And then my school in particular says you have to narrow everything down to one school and not even be on other waitlists after April 30th but to me that doesn't make sense if May 15th is the deadline.
You need to go by the rules that the school which accepted you has spelled out to you.
True, TMDSAS schools do not require you to use the AMCAS tool.
Your school is placing your decision deadline to keep your spot at April 30, so if you have not been offered a place at your WL school by then, your present school is your school.

TMDSAS schools are allowed to set their own deadlines and this one does not contradict the blanket May 15th rule, it only requires you to drop WLs 2 weeks earlier than that.

Does anyone know the timeline for OOS students to hear back from TMDSAS schools now that Match is complete? I had assumed that they give a majority of OOS decisions after Texas match because they want to meet their quota of IS students, but who knows. They could have filled OOS spots already too, I just don't know if I should still keep my hopes up :')

Does anyone know the timeline for OOS students to hear back from TMDSAS schools now that Match is complete? I had assumed that they give a majority of OOS decisions after Texas match because they want to meet their quota of IS students, but who knows. They could have filled OOS spots already too, I just don't know if I should still keep my hopes up :')
Are you waitlisted?

No idea, haven't heard from them since my interview in December. I read on other forums that it's an automatic WL basically if you don't get rejected ...
Check all your junk mail folders & if you don't see anything from the schools you interviewed with, I suggest a quick email to ask whether you are on their Waitlist.

Quick question, I know for OOS and AMCAS schools you need to narrow down your acceptances to 1 school by April 30th. But, can you still remain on waitlists after April 30th, or do you need to withdraw from those as well? (Essentially can you have 1 A and WL after April 30?)