*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2012-2013*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I have received several secondaries from schools and completed them. However, my AMCAS is not verified yet. Can I submit the secondaries now or do I wait till AMCAS verifies?

Hi all,

How do I designate non-science courses as science on the amcas application? For example, drugs & behavior is considered a "psych" course but should be counted under my science gpa.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
do you need a signature for your letters if uploaded electronically on school letterhead? i already sent 2 to amcas and i'm worried now.

Does the coursework need to match my transcripts exactly? I attend a liberal arts university and certain classes fall into different categories and the categories of the classes appear on my transcripts. For example, my Bio 101 class fell under a category and appears on my transcripts as:

T1:Cl:principles of Biology I

Is that what I should add it as in my coursework section, or can I drop the prefixes and just call it Principles of Biology I?

Never mind....Got the answer

Last edited:
I am filling out my AMCAS application and when I am adding the school that I wanna apply to and there is a box that said:
Filter by
Deadline
spacer.gif
Select One September 30, 2012 October 1, 2012 October 3, 2012 October 15, 2012 October 31, 2012 November 1, 2012 November 15, 2012 November 30, 2012 December 1, 2012 December 15, 2012 December 31, 2012 April 1, 2013

There are many deadlines from Sept 2012 to April 2013 and I dont know which one to choose. How do I know which one to choose?

Just leave that one blank it will show u a list of all schools that fall under ur first filter (state).

Is there any rhyme or reason to when schools verify my complete application?
My school sent out its committee letter during the last week of August, and I've received some but not all medical schools' emails informing me that my app is now complete.

Hi, I haven't run through the recent posts, so I'm not sure if this has been asked:

I've submitted pretty much all my secondaries. No rejections. Earliest completed secondary was beginning Aug. At what point, if any, would you recommend to follow up with a phone call to the schools? What would I say? Should I give them 4-6 weeks? Obviously, for schools that say don't email/call us, we are reviewing your file, I would respect that and not call them.

"Hi, my name is Blah blah.. i just completed my secondaries... wanted to know if you've received all necessary materials... very interested or excited in interviewing with this school/when can i hear back regarding potential interview? "

Something like that?

Hi, I haven't run through the recent posts, so I'm not sure if this has been asked:

I've submitted pretty much all my secondaries. No rejections. Earliest completed secondary was beginning Aug. At what point, if any, would you recommend to follow up with a phone call to the schools? What would I say? Should I give them 4-6 weeks? Obviously, for schools that say don't email/call us, we are reviewing your file, I would respect that and not call them.

"Hi, my name is Blah blah.. i just completed my secondaries... wanted to know if you've received all necessary materials... very interested or excited in interviewing with this school/when can i hear back regarding potential interview? "

Something like that?

Do most of your schools have a status update page? If so, you can follow that for completion (necessary materials). If they don't, I would call after a couple of weeks...but I'd personally leave off the interview part. Maybe I'd ask about how long it takes to review apps once complete.

Again, just me. Not a professional here. :)

Of course all but 1 or 2 schools have a status page, and all of them say complete... I just want to make sure I'm not in some "low-er priority interview but not complete rejection pile"

Of course all but 1 or 2 schools have a status page, and all of them say complete... I just want to make sure I'm not in some "low-er priority interview but not complete rejection pile"

Hmmmm....I would just wait it out since it's on the early side, but you could always send a letter of interest in the hopes that having them open your file to put it in would draw attention. :)

How does financial aid work for medical school? Do we have to send them our financial information, or can they determine that from our application? When we get accepted, do you accept you with a package?

Also, if we submitted applications before our final grades were out, when would be a good time to send in transcripts?

Members don't see this ad :)
how long does it take to "add a school" after the amcas is verified? is it instantaneous or do they make you wait another few weeks before the school is officially part of your application?

how long does it take to "add a school" after the amcas is verified? is it instantaneous or do they make you wait another few weeks before the school is officially part of your application?

instantaneous - just don't forget to re-certify and resubmit

What is the difference btw "AMCAS open date" and "Data transferred to medical schools date"?

I am planning on applying next year, but I am confused as to when to apply. My advisor said I should apply asap like "as soon as the AMCAS allows you to submit". but there is no point in applying on that date if AMCAS only send the application much later. should I take this time to strengthen my application or don't risk it?

thank you :)

What is the difference btw "AMCAS open date" and "Data transferred to medical schools date"?

I am planning on applying next year, but I am confused as to when to apply. My advisor said I should apply asap like "as soon as the AMCAS allows you to submit". but there is no point in applying on that date if AMCAS only send the application much later. should I take this time to strengthen my application or don't risk it?

thank you :)

The open date allows you to start working on the app and sending in transcripts.

Submission date is when you can first send it to AMCAS for verification. There is a lag between submitting it and being verified, which means they have checked over transcripts for grades, coursework, etc. This can be up to six weeks, but at the beginning of submission it is likely a few days to a couple of weeks.

The only way to have your app transmitted to schools on that first transmit date is to submit it early enough that it will be verified in time. Verification time is somewhat unpredictable, but AMCAS always posts which dates they are working on to give you an idea.

You certainly shouldn't submit until you are completely satisfied with your app, but it is said that earlier is better as you may get looked at more often throughout the season.

Also, any waiting makes the whole process take longer. First submissions dates have much shorter verification times than a month later. Plus, if your app is verified for that first transition, you will get a flood of secondaries to begin. If it goes out a little later, sometimes schools are swamped and you have to wait a little. Domino effect.

Okay, so I'm realizing after reading these forums that I am applying very late. I plan to submit my primary tomorrow. Yikes, I know. It says that it takes 4-6 weeks to get verified....so does this mean I'm screwed for places that have a deadline of early to mid October? Or does this "deadline" mean that you only need to have submitted it, and that it doesn't necessarily have to be verified yet??? Please help!

I am a "non-traditional" student, and have over 20 publications. All but the most recent one are co-authorships. I also have two presentations - one at an American Chemical Society conference two years ago, and another at an international phytotechnology meeting in Belgium this year. All but my oldest paper are related to environmental chemistry -using plants to remediate pesticide contaminated soils. The old one is actually on the extraction of the anti-cancer drug Taxol from the yew shrub. It's from way back in 1997, but is more medically related than all of my other papers.

Obviously, space is at a premium in the Work/Activities section. How would you recommend handling all of those publications? Perhaps I should list the two most recent ones, one of which is the first authorship, mention that there are X others, and maybe mention the Taxol paper?

Does anyone know if medical schools can see previous amcas applications or know if you have a previous amcas application?

Does anyone know if medical schools can see previous amcas applications or know if you have a previous amcas application?

I'm not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure LizzyM (an adcom member and respected poster here) said that if you applied to her school a previous year, they can pull up that application in a matter of seconds. This seems like it would standard across all schools rather than few.

I'm not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure LizzyM (an adcom member and respected poster here) said that if you applied to her school a previous year, they can pull up that application in a matter of seconds. This seems like it would standard across all schools rather than few.
Thanks for the response!..just for clarification: so say I apply to school 'A' this application cycle and end up getting rejected. Then next year apply to school 'B'. School 'B' will NOT be able to see that I applied to school 'A' the previous year..correct?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the response!..just for clarification: so say I apply to school 'A' this application cycle and end up getting rejected. Then next year apply to school 'B'. School 'B' will NOT be able to see that I applied to school 'A' the previous year..correct?

Thanks again!

That is correct!

bump. I think it's about time to make the 2013. People are getting itchy application fingers.

Bumping an old thread as the new thread won't be available for some time I'm assuming.

Assuming we submit in the first week without an MCAT score, our application will still be verified and checked against transcripts--thus when our MCAT score does come in, the app would be sent to schools immediately?

Thanks
LM

Bumping an old thread as the new thread won't be available for some time I'm assuming.

Assuming we submit in the first week without an MCAT score, our application will still be verified and checked against transcripts--thus when our MCAT score does come in, the app would be sent to schools immediately?

Thanks
LM

Your app will be sent once it is verified. MCAT scores are not needed for verification and will be added to the app once they come in.

hmm ty
Would it be possible to receive secondaries without an MCAT in?

Thanks
LM

I depends on the school. Some schools send a secondary to everyone and will send you one without a MCAT score. Others will wait until they get the score.

However, even if you submit the secondary, you will remain incomplete until your MCAT score comes in. That means no interview invites. Once your score comes in you will be marked complete.

Hey guys,

I had a quick question regarding the amcas application for the 2013 app cycle. What's the soonest that I can send in LOR's? Because I have my letter writers confirmed but again, I want to have the paper work done now, as opposed to June when everyone is enjoying Summer and screw up the timing. any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
AJ

Hey guys,

I had a quick question regarding the amcas application for the 2013 app cycle. What's the soonest that I can send in LOR's? Because I have my letter writers confirmed but again, I want to have the paper work done now, as opposed to June when everyone is enjoying Summer and screw up the timing. any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
AJ

Use Interfolio, and they can upload it now.

HELP PLEASE

I wanted to submit Tuesday but this is making me very anxious.
The Main Coursework screen (see bellow) says under each school that I: "have not entered any courses for this school", and the main summary page that use to come up with all my courses and grades has disappeared!!!
I have entered the courses and they are visible when I click on a school name and on "list courses". But the summary page is still gone.
Is there a problem with AMCAS or with my computer? Has this happened to anyone else? What should I do?
Thanks!
Screen shot1.jpg

Screen shot 3.jpg

Last edited:
HELP PLEASE

I wanted to submit Tuesday but this is making me very anxious.
The Main Coursework screen (see bellow) says under each school that I: "have not entered any courses for this school", and the main summary page that use to come up with all my courses and grades has disappeared!!!
I have entered the courses and they are visible when I click on a school name and on "list courses". But the summary page is still gone.
Is there a problem with AMCAS or with my computer? Has this happened to anyone else? What should I do?
Thanks!
View attachment 23966

View attachment 23968

There's been a lot of glitches. Something similar has happened with the work/activities section. I wouldn't worry, as long as it shows up in the final application. If you really want to, contact AMCAS, or send them a message on twitter. They'll be nice.

Thanks! It just randomly fixed itself this morning...

What does the series column mean in the standardized testing section? Next to the test date? Just wondering!

Hey everyone,

I graduated from my main university this spring, but I submitted my transcript to AMCAS in early May, before my final semester grades were added to the transcript. Does anyone know if AMCAS will ask me to resubmit that transcript with that last semester on it? Thanks.

What are your thoughts on categorizing "thesis/academic reports" written for graduate degrees as a publication to receive your degree? For example, for my MSc I had to write a research thesis..would this count as a publication? I know on my professional/academic resume I count this as a publication, however I'm unsure if it's the same case for AMCAS publication category. Any insight would help.

Is it true you have to have LORs in before submitting? The language is a bit confusing on the form it says you have to have all your letter writers in or something. Could someone please elaborate on this for me?

Is it true you have to have LORs in before submitting? The language is a bit confusing on the form it says you have to have all your letter writers in or something. Could someone please elaborate on this for me?

Can I change the type of Letter of Evaluation Method? For instance can I go from "committee letter" to "letter packet" to "individual letters"? The reason that I ask is because my pre-medical committee is seems super busy and I don't hear from them for weeks and I have head a bad experience with them in the past. I do not want them holding up my application.

Also, if you list your GRE scores, do you have to have the ETS submit your scores to AMCAS/ACOMAS? If they are just decent scores (312) am I better off not mentioning them?

Can I change the type of Letter of Evaluation Method? For instance can I go from "committee letter" to "letter packet" to "individual letters"? The reason that I ask is because my pre-medical committee is seems super busy and I don't hear from them for weeks and I have head a bad experience with them in the past. I do not want them holding up my application.

Also, if you list your GRE scores, do you have to have the ETS submit your scores to AMCAS/ACOMAS? If they are just decent scores (312) am I better off not mentioning them?

Ya what about LSAT scores? Will they just take your word for it or do they have to be submitted by LSAC?

I go to school in California and I had my transcripts mailed on the 11th. They still haven't been marked as received. When should I commence freaking out?

AMCAS says not to put down courses again if they're meant to be repeatable, but do sports classes count as ones that are meant to be repeatable? I took swimming two different semesters.