*~*~*~* Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2023-2024 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there a way to confirm that schools have your most up to date MCAT scores? I went from a 498 to 510. I waited to send my scores in till I got my second score back. It’s been a couple months since I sent my secondary apps and have yet to hear anything back.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there a way to confirm that schools have your most up to date MCAT scores? I went from a 498 to 510. I waited to send my scores in till I got my second score back. It’s been a couple months since I sent my secondary apps and have yet to hear anything back.
You can message TMDSAS in your portal and ask if they have received (and distributed to schools) your new score.

Does anyone know when the match is for 2024? Saw on the TMDSAS guide that it’s Feb 16th but on Dell’s MSAR page it says March 1st

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when the match is for 2024? Saw on the TMDSAS guide that it’s Feb 16th but on Dell’s MSAR page it says March 1st

If I recall correctly, match day is Feb 16 this year. The March 1st date was match day in prior years.

Reactions: 1 users
If I indicated on TMDSAS I was applying AMCAS but have changed my mind (never submitted AMCAS app) should I submit an update to TMDSAS? By when?

If I indicated on TMDSAS I was applying AMCAS but have changed my mind (never submitted AMCAS app) should I submit an update to TMDSAS? By when?
I don’t know the answer to that, but message TMDSAS in your portal and ask them if you need to update it.

How do medical school look at W (withdrawing from a course) on your transcript after you have applied and been interviewing? Would that be grounds to revoke acceptances if they saw a W on a course your senior year. This would be my first one btw. Thank you!

How do medical school look at W (withdrawing from a course) on your transcript after you have applied and been interviewing? Would that be grounds to revoke acceptances if they saw a W on a course your senior year. This would be my first one btw. Thank you!
Not harmful as long as it's not a prerequisite you need to qualify for that school.
By the way you can update course schedules on your active TMDSAS portal if needed.

Not harmful as long as it's not a prerequisite you need to qualify for that school.
By the way you can update course schedules on your active TMDSAS portal if needed.
Okay thanks, it's human anatomy though but I think it is only a prereq for TCU but I will check. Still deciding on whether I should drop, so I have time.

Okay thanks, it's human anatomy though but I think it is only a prereq for TCU but I will check. Still deciding on whether I should drop, so I have time.
TCU does not require Anatomy but they do require Physiology. Your class might be a combo?
None of the TMDSAS schools specifically require anatomy, but most require 14 credit hours of BIO of which 2 must be Lab.

I am sure it's fine. In fact, I didn't even apply to TCU because anatomy and physiology are notoriously hard at my university (I don't want to deal with that right now).

I don’t know the answer to that, but message TMDSAS in your portal and ask them if you need to update it.
Sent them a message and they said it's fine to leave as is, no need to change. Thanks for the suggestion :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Read

What the heck is a prematch and what does it mean?
A pre-match offer is a true offer of admission, and gives you an early clue that the school really likes you and wants you to attend. If you get a prematch offer, you can take the pressure off yourself and know you are going to med school next year. Prematch offers are only for Texans applying in the TMDSAS system. Schools MAY begin making pre-match offers on October 15, but they don't HAVE TO.
In fact, UTMB let y'all know that this year they will hold off on making prematch offers until December.

Can I keep on attending more interviews after I get a pre-match offer?
Yes, you can, especially if you would like to give yourself more options or a chance at the school you "think" is your favorite. Sometimes your opinion of a school can get better or worse after your interview day, so your ranking of the schools where you interview can change with time.
But hey, what if the pre-match is to your dream school? Up to you: go to further interviews, or stop here.

How many applicants get a Pre-match offer?
For the first time, in the 2020-2021 cycle, TMDSAS published the data on how many applicants got prematch offers.
Here is the link to the data from my post in 2021: #46
Prematch offers go to a minority of applicants (1 in 7, or 14%).
Don't let this small part of TMDSAS Match system affect your self-worth!
Most Texas matriculants match on Match Day (this year it's February 16, 2024), having had no prematch offers at all.

Can I rank a school I didn't Pre-match with higher than a Pre-matched school? Will I lose everything if it doesn't work out?
You can rank your favorite schools in any order you wish. If you rank a non-Prematched school as #1 and they don't choose you, you still have your Pre-Match school to fall back on. Remember, your pre-match is a true offer of admission, and you can't gamble it away by taking a risk with your ranking list. If you happen to have more than one pre-match school, the one you ranked highest is the one you'll be going to.

If I accept or respond to a school that made me a Pre-Match offer, is it binding?
No, you are allowed to accept and hold more than one TMDSAS offer up until Match Day. You will come out of Match Day with one school only.
All the TMDSAS schools know the system, nobody will be offended if you wait until Match Day for your final determination.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 9 users
I have several questions about pre-matches.

1: Do pre-matches start coming out on Oct 15, when it falls on a weekend, or do they sprinkle out starting the following Monday?
2: When pre-matches are sent, are they done by email or by a phone call (asking cause I need to know whether to pay attention to phone calls or not)?

Thanks in advance!

I have several questions about pre-matches.

1: Do pre-matches start coming out on Oct 15, when it falls on a weekend, or do they sprinkle out starting the following Monday?
2: When pre-matches are sent, are they done by email or by a phone call (asking cause I need to know whether to pay attention to phone calls or not)?

Thanks in advance!
They can come out on the 15th, even if it's on a weekend. Some schools will send them out later, by weeks or months.
Long is known to send out very few pre-match offers, even though they have a large class size.
All the schools do it by email except Dell (area code 512), UT Tyler (area code 903), and possibly A&M (area code 979) who like to call.

Here is the rundown of last year, (I just marked which day a school sent out its very first offer, & didn't track it after that like I do for Interviews).
First Prematches by school LAST year 2022-2023 cycle

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Regarding transcripts, do we need to wait until fall grades come out to submit them? I have a hard class this sem that looks like it's going to end up as a B, while everything else is an A. Will this affect anything?

I also changed my course schedule a bit, but it doesn't affect any of my pre-req coursework. Do I need to update this in the TMDSAS portal as well?

Regarding transcripts, do we need to wait until fall grades come out to submit them? I have a hard class this sem that looks like it's going to end up as a B, while everything else is an A. Will this affect anything?

I also changed my course schedule a bit, but it doesn't affect any of my pre-req coursework. Do I need to update this in the TMDSAS portal as well?
TMDSAS only asks you to send transcripts after you have received one or more acceptances.
They will be using it to verify, class by class, what you entered in your TMDSAS primary application.
So, send it now if you wish.

The school you eventually enroll in will ask you to have an official final transcript sent to them, directly from your colleges and not via TMDSAS as the middleman, at the time you are completing matriculation or "on-boarding" paperwork.

This might be a dumb question but is there data on how many people don’t match on match day? I understand match is more likely with more interviews but is there data even on people with multiple not matching? I know pre match is rare so I’m sort of ignoring it and looking toward match and getting nervous.

This might be a dumb question but is there data on how many people don’t match on match day? I understand match is more likely with more interviews but is there data even on people with multiple not matching? I know pre match is rare so I’m sort of ignoring it and looking toward match and getting nervous.
Not exactly but you can look at how many interviewed, how many were accepted, and how many matriculated.
This does not sort out the folks who didn't match, but were admitted over the next few months from Waitlists.
In EY 2022 (and these are the numbers just for Texas residents, since you asked about Match)
2953 Texans were interviewed
2258 were accepted (to a TMDSAS school)
1990 matriculated (to a TMDSAS school)

The 268 who did not matriculate within TMDSAS either went to an OOS MD school, OOS DO school, or didn't start that year for whatever reason.

Hey all you Texans.
We are moving into the part of the cycle where things are moving pretty fast and you might have some questions about Matching, ranking your schools, and these kinds of things.

TMDSAS updated their information about ranking: how and why and what to do.
Here is the link How Do I Select My School Rank Preferences?

Now just like us they are all human, so the proofreading on this rewrite is not perfect. Every time this article tells you the deadline to rank your schools is Feb 2, 2023....It's really Feb 2, 2024.
Read it, note down your questions, and a reminder that you can attend TMDSAS Office Hours every week on YouTube or Facebook and ask your questions to the people who are working on your application.

If you have a pressing question, please message TMDSAS in your portal.

Last of all, if you have not submitted your TMDSAS Primary yet...Get going!!!
The deadline is 11:59 PM on November 1, 2023.

@wysdoc 's back must hurt from carrying all of us texans through the medical school application process. we all collectively owe you many coffees!!!!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
I was extremely fortunate to receive an pre-match/acceptance from a TMDSAS school this cycle. However, there may be a potential issue with my residency. At the time of application my Texas residency status was extremely borderline, but they gave me the benefit of the doubt and put me in the "Texas Resident" pool. However, I've recently been living in another state and am worried that I will lose my Texas residency status towards the end of the cycle once I have to submit the proper documentation.

I understand that this likely means I would have to pay out-of-state tuition, which I'm not all too worried about. My main concern is whether or not this could impact my acceptance since 90% of matriculants must be Texas residents. Does my acceptance have a chance of being rescinded, or do I have nothing to worry about?

I was extremely fortunate to receive an pre-match/acceptance from a TMDSAS school this cycle. However, there may be a potential issue with my residency. At the time of application my Texas residency status was extremely borderline, but they gave me the benefit of the doubt and put me in the "Texas Resident" pool. However, I've recently been living in another state and am worried that I will lose my Texas residency status towards the end of the cycle once I have to submit the proper documentation.

I understand that this likely means I would have to pay out-of-state tuition, which I'm not all too worried about. My main concern is whether or not this could impact my acceptance since 90% of matriculants must be Texas residents. Does my acceptance have a chance of being rescinded, or do I have nothing to worry about?
The decision on your residency status was made by TMDSAS at the time of your submission of the primary app. It is not something they return to or change after their initial determination.

Reactions: 3 users
I just got the transcript email and it says to wait to send a transcript if taking Fall 2022 courses. Did they actually mean Fall 2023 courses?

I just got the transcript email and it says to wait to send a transcript if taking Fall 2022 courses. Did they actually mean Fall 2023 courses?

Never mind. Just looked at the TMDSAS website and saw that you can wait to send transcripts if you are taking Fall 2023 courses and waiting for their grades to be released.

Never mind. Just looked at the TMDSAS website and saw that you can wait to send transcripts if you are taking Fall 2023 courses and waiting for their grades to be released.
I messaged them and they did say to wait for F23 courses but send other transcripts at institutions you are done at (i.e. community college)

Make sure y'all attach the transcript matching form when sending your transcript requests. (I messed that up and resent my transcript requests).

Screen Shot 2023-10-23 at 10.08.19 AM.png
what category would you put a letter of intent into? update or additional documents

Pre match is confusing me! It looks like you’re committing to the school via the portal (when you accept it) that’s not what’s happening right?

Pre match is confusing me! It looks like you’re committing to the school via the portal (when you accept it) that’s not what’s happening right?
It is not binding, you can accept and hold all offers until Feb 2 when you rank all the schools you interviewed at.

It is not binding, you can accept and hold all offers until Feb 2 when you rank all the schools you interviewed at.
Oh thank you. It just looks a little freaky! I read that in the email but logging into the portal choosing a campus and signing my name just felt weird! Thanks!

TMDSAS Primary application deadline: Primary app and payment must be submitted by before midnight on Wednesday, November 1. No deadline extensions are given.

Supporting docs (letters, test scores) are due by November 15.

If you haven't turned in the TMDSAS primary by now, technically you are still allowed to do so. There are always a handful of procrastinators who do.

At what point should we be concerned about II’s? I only have 1 II so far and I’m starting to panic as we approach thanksgiving. When is typically the last round of II’s being sent out by TMDSAS schools?

I have a publication that's been editorially accepted (i.e. the peer-review process is complete, but there's some administrative and formatting stuff they need to go through for publication). It's in an open-access journal (Gastro Hep Advances for those who are curious).

Would it be worth updating my TMDSAS and OOS schools about this, or should I wait for the article to be published? My main worry is that the admin process could take 3-4 weeks, which may delay the process even further.

Can anyone help explain the A process for OOS? I have very strong ties but am OOS. My first interview was in mid-Oct and have had 4 other TX schools since then but when I look on here (SDN) or ask anyone, I hear the timing for A's (R's or WL's) and teh different pre-match waves, but nothing definite about OOS A offers and the timing for those. Does it vary per school? Do they fill up the 90% of IS / TX applicants first? I would really appreciate any input or details from people's experience etc. Thanks guys!

Can anyone help explain the A process for OOS? I have very strong ties but am OOS. My first interview was in mid-Oct and have had 4 other TX schools since then but when I look on here (SDN) or ask anyone, I hear the timing for A's (R's or WL's) and teh different pre-match waves, but nothing definite about OOS A offers and the timing for those. Does it vary per school? Do they fill up the 90% of IS / TX applicants first? I would really appreciate any input or details from people's experience etc. Thanks guys!
Apparently Dell, Baylor, and Long (all the schools I’ve interviewed at LOL) are not heavy on pre-match offers so you will most likely hear back from them next March-May if you interviewed there, because that is when their match happens, and then more OOS movement happens after their match. However each of those schools does offer a small number of pre match offers so theres a small chance you hear earlier. UTSW and UTMB I think fill most of their spots through pre-match and there may be others but I don’t know because I haven’t interviewed at those. So it varies heavily by school

Dell at least can only have five OOS spots so they accept as many OOS as they’re going to accept and then if you’re OOS they will waitlist you and accept OOS off the waitlist as their OOS spots are declined for other schools.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions

Apparently Dell, Baylor, and Long (all the schools I’ve interviewed at LOL) are not heavy on pre-match offers so you will most likely hear back from them next March-May if you interviewed there, because that is when their match happens, and then more OOS movement happens after their match. However each of those schools does offer a small number of pre match offers so theres a small chance you hear earlier. UTSW and UTMB I think fill most of their spots through pre-match and there may be others but I don’t know because I haven’t interviewed at those. So it varies heavily by school

Dell at least can only have five OOS spots so they accept as many OOS as they’re going to accept and then if you’re OOS they will waitlist you and accept OOS off the waitlist as their OOS spots are declined for other schools.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it!!

Is it normal to only have interviews from Baylor and UTSW? I’m IS and my LM is 74.

My app got transmitted in august had both those interviews in September, but it’s been radio silence from all the other texas schools. Just curious to see if others are in a similar boat. Getting kinda nervous with interview season coming to an end

Last edited:
Is it normal to only have interviews from Baylor and UTSW? I’m IS and my LM is 74.

My app got transmitted in august had both those interviews in September, but it’s been radio silence from all the other texas schools. Just curious to see if others are in a similar boat. Getting kinda nervous with interview season coming to an end
Two interviews is good.
Now that the deadline for new TMDSAS submissions has passed on November 1, you will have no new incoming competition. Schools can re- read the apps they have and choose some more of you to interview.

Similar situation here (not with those two schools though.) I had two interviews done in September, and had radio silence literally until recently in November for another interview. So it is definitely possible for some more to trickle in - still a couple months to go.

Congrats on Baylor and UTSW interviews though, that's pretty awesome!