You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
***Official ASDOH c/o 2020 Acceptence/Interviews!***
Started by Ahmadtoo
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
6
609088
so if we didnt get a call, that means we are on the waiting list right? That's what it seems like from last year posts....
so if we didnt get a call, that means we are on the waiting list right? That's what it seems like from last year posts....
Calls continues tomorrow all the way til they fill up 50 spots I believe. But it's an ongoing process since ppl are not always going to select ASDOH. So expect calls til the end of this week or next week.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You gave me hope!Calls continues tomorrow all the way til they fill up 50 spots I believe. But it's an ongoing process since ppl are not always going to select ASDOH. So expect calls til the end of this week or next week.
6
609088
o gosh, 50 spots?? thats so low
Hey guys, congrats on all the acceptances! So I'm actually interviewing on Monday, Dec. 7th. This may have already been answered but should I bring a copy of any part of my application, as in my resume, personal statement, stats? Any last minute advice you can give me? This is my number one choice for schools!
How do you know this too? Haha do you know how many they've called so far?Calls continues tomorrow all the way til they fill up 50 spots I believe. But it's an ongoing process since ppl are not always going to select ASDOH. So expect calls til the end of this week or next week.
How do you know this too? Haha do you know how many they've called so far?
A D2 student was giving us that info during our visit there. And I'm sorry unfortunately I do not know that.
o gosh, 50 spots?? thats so low
It's out of a class of 77 though...They offer a total of 130 acceptances because not everyone chooses ASDOH.
Hey guys, congrats on all the acceptances! So I'm actually interviewing on Monday, Dec. 7th. This may have already been answered but should I bring a copy of any part of my application, as in my resume, personal statement, stats? Any last minute advice you can give me? This is my number one choice for schools!
Don't bring any of that. Know what you said about yourself in the application though. If you've done research , maybe bring in a copy of your research paper and be ready to talk about it. But just know the school mission and what they're about.
I didnt get the consideration emailCongrats to all who got accepted!! I'd like to know if you guys got the "consideration" e-mail after interview?
Last edited:
not sureIt's out of a class of 77 though...They offer a total of 130 acceptances because not everyone chooses ASDOH.
Last edited:
Azra said they fill up only 40 or 50 spots of the 76 on December 1st I believe. Then they wait to see who has declined or accepted their offer. From there they continue to interview others and review them as well as the previous interviewees to fill up all of their spots. So throughout the entire cycle they offer 130 acceptances but not on the 1st of December.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
6
609088
Anyone receive a call ye
Did any anybody else get accepted??
6
609088
Are there any reapplicants that Got accepted yesterday? May I ask you what u have done for a year. Did u. Guys go to grad school or retook it gap? Thanks
6
609088
Retook DAT
I thought my interview went really well there... I was told that I should choose ASDOH for my dental school ;( I'm so upset now that I havent heard anything from them!!!
Congratulations to all those that were accepted and a heartfelt extension of empathy to those that did not receive a call. This is my 2nd year applying and will not be my last if I don't get accepted. Although it seems like kicking and screaming and maybe even crying are things that make sense right now, I've determined that those accepted must have worked harder than me to get where they are. I've worked very hard myself with many sleepless nights and so I respect your positions more so than ever. Rather than hold out for a miracle, I'm going to get started on re-studying for the DAT tonight. Good luck to all of you stillholding out, and hopefully our paths will cross as classmates one day. 🙂
Are there any reapplicants that Got accepted yesterday? May I ask you what u have done for a year. Did u. Guys go to grad school or retook it gap? Thanks
I retook a few classes but did a lot of volunteers for underserved and struggling communities. Including outreach and team leaders for emergency housing for families and children undergoing help for domestic and substance abuse.
I've also had the opportunity of working with special needs adults in helping them transition into their community and work place. I also worked with Autistic children in helping them become independent in their daily life. These were some of the things I did with my one year off.
To be honest I would have gone for master after this if I did not get in. I am grateful forever and find myself very lucky. I don't think I was as good as a lot of candidates. But the two doctors that interviewed me saw something in me that matched with their school. Keep believing. It's never over til March.
Thank you!Don't bring any of that. Know what you said about yourself in the application though. If you've done research , maybe bring in a copy of your research paper and be ready to talk about it. But just know the school mission and what they're about.
Are there any reapplicants that Got accepted yesterday? May I ask you what u have done for a year. Did u. Guys go to grad school or retook it gap? Thanks
Went to Tulane for a one year masters in molecular bio, amazing program. They help you so much to get into dental/med school! Highly recommend it!
Edit: They also have a service-learning part built into the program which really helped me as well. Easy to get hours like this.
Last edited:
I think getting involved in the community is one of the most important things with this school. Before I started undergrad (started late) I took a year and volunteered full time at my church to try and figure out my dream. This ended up being 60-70 hours a week most weeks because I helped out with youth group a lot and really loved it.
That was the biggest part of my volunteer hours, I also vilunteered at a free dental clinic in Detroit for 3 years while in undergrad. This is what assured me dentist is the field for me.
Total volunteer hours I had was around 4000. It was a lot but most were from that full year at the church.
If I could give you any advice I would say trust in the Lord. I had a good gpa (3.9) but to be honest my DAT was VERY average. But luckily they saw that dentistry is what I want to do and people is what I care about. God played an important role in me getting accepted I firmly believe that. He can open up doors that look impossible to walk through.
Sorry for my long post... If it is your dream like it is mine keep working hard you will get in!
That was the biggest part of my volunteer hours, I also vilunteered at a free dental clinic in Detroit for 3 years while in undergrad. This is what assured me dentist is the field for me.
Total volunteer hours I had was around 4000. It was a lot but most were from that full year at the church.
If I could give you any advice I would say trust in the Lord. I had a good gpa (3.9) but to be honest my DAT was VERY average. But luckily they saw that dentistry is what I want to do and people is what I care about. God played an important role in me getting accepted I firmly believe that. He can open up doors that look impossible to walk through.
Sorry for my long post... If it is your dream like it is mine keep working hard you will get in!
Congratulations to all those that were accepted and a heartfelt extension of empathy to those that did not receive a call. This is my 2nd year applying and will not be my last if I don't get accepted. Although it seems like kicking and screaming and maybe even crying are things that make sense right now, I've determined that those accepted must have worked harder than me to get where they are. I've worked very hard myself with many sleepless nights and so I respect your positions more so than ever. Rather than hold out for a miracle, I'm going to get started on re-studying for the DAT tonight. Good luck to all of you stillholding out, and hopefully our paths will cross as classmates one day. 🙂
Amen!!
Yea why not. @Lt.M1chelle Do you want to make it ?Anyone willing to make a Facebook group for class of 2020?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
St. Vincents DePaul?? I volunteered there as well, put it on my app and talked about it in my interview. What college did you go to? Wayne state?I think getting involved in the community is one of the most important things with this school. Before I started undergrad (started late) I took a year and volunteered full time at my church to try and figure out my dream. This ended up being 60-70 hours a week most weeks because I helped out with youth group a lot and really loved it.
That was the biggest part of my volunteer hours, I also vilunteered at a free dental clinic in Detroit for 3 years while in undergrad. This is what assured me dentist is the field for me.
Total volunteer hours I had was around 4000. It was a lot but most were from that full year at the church.
If I could give you any advice I would say trust in the Lord. I had a good gpa (3.9) but to be honest my DAT was VERY average. But luckily they saw that dentistry is what I want to do and people is what I care about. God played an important role in me getting accepted I firmly believe that. He can open up doors that look impossible to walk through.
Sorry for my long post... If it is your dream like it is mine keep working hard you will get in!
Yea why not. @Lt.M1chelle Do you want to make it ?
I won't lie.... I don't have a Facebook 🙁... I guess its time.
Congratulations to all those that were accepted and a heartfelt extension of empathy to those that did not receive a call. This is my 2nd year applying and will not be my last if I don't get accepted. Although it seems like kicking and screaming and maybe even crying are things that make sense right now, I've determined that those accepted must have worked harder than me to get where they are. I've worked very hard myself with many sleepless nights and so I respect your positions more so than ever. Rather than hold out for a miracle, I'm going to get started on re-studying for the DAT tonight. Good luck to all of you stillholding out, and hopefully our paths will cross as classmates one day. 🙂
You're an admirable person and I have the utmost respect for you. It would be such a privilege to have you as a classmate.
Yea why not. @Lt.M1chelle Do you want to make it ?
I thought Azra was the one who usually creates the group though?
I was getting nervous when i think about my interview on 12/8 until i read your post. Thank you so much for the comforting words and showing your faith in God! Amen!I think getting involved in the community is one of the most important things with this school. Before I started undergrad (started late) I took a year and volunteered full time at my church to try and figure out my dream. This ended up being 60-70 hours a week most weeks because I helped out with youth group a lot and really loved it.
That was the biggest part of my volunteer hours, I also vilunteered at a free dental clinic in Detroit for 3 years while in undergrad. This is what assured me dentist is the field for me.
Total volunteer hours I had was around 4000. It was a lot but most were from that full year at the church.
If I could give you any advice I would say trust in the Lord. I had a good gpa (3.9) but to be honest my DAT was VERY average. But luckily they saw that dentistry is what I want to do and people is what I care about. God played an important role in me getting accepted I firmly believe that. He can open up doors that look impossible to walk through.
Sorry for my long post... If it is your dream like it is mine keep working hard you will get in!
A little late, but I got my call around 3:00 PST on Dec 1 (Dr. Kalamchi apparently tried calling my house phone buuuuuuut it was disconnected so he got my cell phone ^_^'') I definitely agree that community service is huge. Shedding some light on my situation (and hopefully easing some people's anxieties lol) my stats coming from undergrad definitely weren't the best. GPA 3.17 sGPA 2.95, DAT 20/19/20, Volunteer: a little over around 1500, Shadow Hours: at the time I interviewed 100, but I updated them when I worked part time at a clinic afterwards. Also my I didnt know it at the time but my personal statement was almost spot on a response to their vision and mission.
For anyone with a post december interview, good luck! If you're not coming from a good place academically, definitely play up your passion for the work you did and the people you served. I loved everything I did outside of school and tried my best to show it. In terms of academics, if you showed improvement over time EMPHASIZE IT AND TELL THEM HOW EXACTLY YOU CHANGED (study habits/sources of motivation/etc). From personal experience and working as an academic counselor, a common problem is a really rough start in college but eventually people can get the hang of things and turn from a C student to an A/B student quickly, but one number from a GPA doest quite reflect the arching improvement. Seeing people's stats at the beginning of the cycle was super intimidating but really, if you have an interview thats more than half the battle; the next part is showing how your goals really resonate with what ASDOH is projecting. I volunteered in a pretty intense mobile health unit that served the homeless, was on leadership for some culturally based education and health programs, and helped out with an elementary school. That's all well and good on paper but I think they really appreciate if you can elaborate the details and show your investment, make connections to the schools programs, and show you're in the career because you wanna do good for the community.
For anyone with a post december interview, good luck! If you're not coming from a good place academically, definitely play up your passion for the work you did and the people you served. I loved everything I did outside of school and tried my best to show it. In terms of academics, if you showed improvement over time EMPHASIZE IT AND TELL THEM HOW EXACTLY YOU CHANGED (study habits/sources of motivation/etc). From personal experience and working as an academic counselor, a common problem is a really rough start in college but eventually people can get the hang of things and turn from a C student to an A/B student quickly, but one number from a GPA doest quite reflect the arching improvement. Seeing people's stats at the beginning of the cycle was super intimidating but really, if you have an interview thats more than half the battle; the next part is showing how your goals really resonate with what ASDOH is projecting. I volunteered in a pretty intense mobile health unit that served the homeless, was on leadership for some culturally based education and health programs, and helped out with an elementary school. That's all well and good on paper but I think they really appreciate if you can elaborate the details and show your investment, make connections to the schools programs, and show you're in the career because you wanna do good for the community.
oh okI won't lie.... I don't have a Facebook 🙁... I guess its time.
Last edited:
6
609088
Are. You instate resident and when was it interviw?A little late, but I got my call around 3:00 PST on Dec 1 (Dr. Kalamchi apparently tried calling my house phone buuuuuuut it was disconnected so he got my cell phone ^_^'') I definitely agree that community service is huge. Shedding some light on my situation (and hopefully easing some people's anxieties lol) my stats coming from undergrad definitely weren't the best. GPA 3.17 sGPA 2.95, DAT 20/19/20, Volunteer: a little over around 1500, Shadow Hours: at the time I interviewed 100, but I updated them when I worked part time at a clinic afterwards. Also my I didnt know it at the time but my personal statement was almost spot on a response to their vision and mission.
For anyone with a post december interview, good luck! If you're not coming from a good place academically, definitely play up your passion for the work you did and the people you served. I loved everything I did outside of school and tried my best to show it. In terms of academics, if you showed improvement over time EMPHASIZE IT AND TELL THEM HOW EXACTLY YOU CHANGED (study habits/sources of motivation/etc). From personal experience and working as an academic counselor, a common problem is a really rough start in college but eventually people can get the hang of things and turn from a C student to an A/B student quickly, but one number from a GPA doest quite reflect the arching improvement. Seeing people's stats at the beginning of the cycle was super intimidating but really, if you have an interview thats more than half the battle; the next part is showing how your goals really resonate with what ASDOH is projecting. I volunteered in a pretty intense mobile health unit that served the homeless, was on leadership for some culturally based education and health programs, and helped out with an elementary school. That's all well and good on paper but I think they really appreciate if you can elaborate the details and show your investment, make connections to the schools programs, and show you're in the career because you wanna do good for the community.
Yes, I went to Madonna universitySt. Vincents DePaul?? I volunteered there as well, put it on my app and talked about it in my interview. What college did you go to? Wayne state?
I don't either haha but if it's the only way to get everyone together guess that's a good reason to get oneI won't lie.... I don't have a Facebook 🙁... I guess its time.
Nope, from California. I interviewed 9/21Are. You instate resident and when was it interviw?
6
609088
Darn. I got similar stats as you and volunteering too...interviewed on Aug 29. No calls yetNope, from California. I interviewed 9/21
Azra will create an official FB group, so just watch for an invitation, or keep searching for ASDOH 2020. E-mail will be the 'official form of communication' as a student, but FB makes updates/announcements a lot easier.Ok. Thats cool I can create it tomorrow but we have to find out if Azra creates it
Those of you asking for stats - know, understand, and strive for the standard numbers you hear from other resources, then throw it all out the window.
**There is no "magic" number** when it comes to ASDOH. Minimums? yes. preferred numbers? of course. But - the formula includes what makes you... you. This school isn't a fit for everyone - competition ends the first day of class. I'd trust my kids with just about every classmate I have, which is saying something.
Find me on FB - residentbrainchild - ask me anything. Also - if you haven't been accepted, I'd strongly suggest coming to the pre-dent workshop on 2/20, and to sign up for the mentorship program - it pairs you with a current student, exposes you directly to what an ASDOH student looks like, etc.
Last edited:
Darn. I got similar stats as you and volunteering too...interviewed on Aug 29. No calls yet
Personality is all that they're looking for in interview I believe. Stats are really thrown out the window by then. Everything and everyone is on equal standing when interview conducts are over, I think the MMI, the little demo of origami that I did for the doctors and just telling them my life story and changes to who I am now and how all my works and volunteers connected to who I am was what gave me the green light for ASDOH.
Don't worry about stats too much. Mine was below par for every school. This was the school that took an investment in me despite everyone telling me its time to change career. I've been going on about this for 3 years. This is my second time applying for this school.... I know its tough, but my mom always told me to run for the things you love, despite the world being against you. Make the doors open to you, don't ever give up.
6
609088
Thanks michelle. Anyone recieved a call yet?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Darn. I got similar stats as you and volunteering too...interviewed on Aug 29. No calls yet
Ah ok. Well there's a lot of time still and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
Azra will create an official FB group, so just watch for an invitation, or keep searching for ASDOH 2020. E-mail will be the 'official form of communication' as a student, but FB makes updates/announcements a lot easier.
Those of you asking for stats - know, understand, and strive for the standard numbers you hear from other resources, then throw it all out the window.
**There is no "magic" number** when it comes to ASDOH. Minimums? yes. preferred numbers? of course. But - the formula includes what makes you... you. This school isn't a fit for everyone - competition ends the first day of class. I'd trust my kids with just about every classmate I have, which is saying something.
Find me on FB - residentbrainchild - ask me anything. Also - if you haven't been accepted, I'd strongly suggest coming to the pre-dent workshop on 2/20, and to sign up for the mentorship program - it pairs you with a current student, exposes you directly to what an ASDOH student looks like, etc.
Would you say it was a difficult transition for you when you started your first year? what is your typical study schedule like?
Thank you for your response. ASDOH may send an admission package in mail.nope not yet, I just got the call on Dec 1.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 31
- Views
- 13K