**Official Class of 2021 Thread** !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can't. I'm WL at the top institutions :dead:. This process sucks.

Well, it looks like you've got a couple of acceptances so all you can really do is choose between those for now and wait to see if you get off a waitlist. Have you been sending in updates?

I just sent in my updates to them this week, combined with letters of interest. We'll see how it goes. Mostly what I've been doing is research this past year so updates come slowly lol. I still have to send in some more updates to other schools that I'm WL at, just trying to work up the energy.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm waiting for some decisions still and I'm willing to take those acceptances over my current acceptance even though one school is new and the other is not ranked. I know I'm capable enough of landing a competitive residency if I choose to pursue one, but location and fit are more importance for me than prestige. That's just me though.

Now the new school vs the non-ranked one ... that's a harder decision since PD's will have no info on the new school ... We'll see. Finaid will probably come into a factor ...

All in all - you do you. You'll make the decision that fits you best. And also that this process sucks. lol

Spicy meme for you guys
17361969_10208981726928111_6797816296511478844_n.jpg

Reactions: 15 users
All hail astra, king of reposts and master pippeteer (spelling?).

ya got me. I'm laundering Reddit Karma into SDN likes.

The great Karma crash is incoming.

You heard it here first.

Reactions: 1 users

You heard it here first.
Double dipping to get karma AND likes? You madman. You MUST be stopped.

Members don't see this ad :)

You heard it here first.
/r/memeeconomy is leaking

Anyone low key judge certain schools because of lack of youtube parody videos? ? Like how really fun is your student culture if you aren't willing to show that while rehashing a Bruno Mars song?

Reactions: 6 users
Anyone low key judge certain schools because of lack of youtube parody videos? ? Like how really fun is your student culture if you aren't willing to show that while rehashing a Bruno Mars song?
I'm a major fan of "Hell" by Einstein's class. That was a riot.

I'm actually pretty excited to be partake in one wherever I end up

Off local topic:

My community college professors have all found that I've been accepted, and now are holding me as a model student. One literally called me and effectively said "see, this person is smart and knows how to do it".

Kill me. I would never present myself like this, ever. I never even identified as "pre-med".

Reactions: 6 users
Off local topic:

My community college professors have all found that I've been accepted, and now are holding me as a model student. One literally called me and effectively said "see, this person is smart and knows how to do it".

Kill me. I would never present myself like this, ever. I never even identified as "pre-med".

Ask them if you can park in faculty parking.

Reactions: 4 users
So I'm graduating this semester and I'm worried about looking tacky. I have 4 stoles, 3 cords, and one medal. Do it anyway or drop a few?

Last edited:
I wore two stoles, 3 cords, and a medal and that was nowhere near the most compared to some people. Go for it!

EDIT: the only thing I ever found tacky was people putting "Future MD" or whatever on their caps.

lmao not even future doctor. Straight up future MD.

I wore two stoles, 3 cords, and a medal and that was nowhere near the most compared to some people. Go for it!

EDIT: the only thing I ever found tacky was people putting "Future MD" or whatever on their caps.
I recant my previous comment. Those "Future MD" people should care about tack.

I think that we often have a tendency to think that just by going to a prestigious school will get closer to achieving our goals. But it's not the school that does all the hard work. It's you. No matter which school you go to, your chances of success depend first and foremost on your own hard work and performance. I say go to the place where you think you will feel the most comfortable, supported, and able to do your best work. Because at the end of the day, it's not the school that gets you into a residency; you get yourself into the residency.
you took the words right out of my mouth...

I did some research of my own where I checked very competitive residencies and looked to see which institution the residents came from and of course you have the Stanfords and the Harvards, but there are always residents that graduated from "mid-tier"/"bottom tier" med schools (I cringe even writing those terms in quotes). It is all about the work the YOUUUUUUU choose to do. And yes, I have read those threads that argue about where you go to school severely impacts where you land a residency...and I say meh. Work hard, don't worry about reputation and rank, and you'll see what happens :kiss:

This wasn't my original point though. I am planning on working hard no matter where I go. I understand what you are saying, but a decent school versus a top school will not in any way offer me the same career opportunities later on down the line, including residency.
this is incorrect...don't mean to argue, but it's just not true. you can't begin med school with a chip on your shoulder already! come on and give it your best shot. even if you don't land a spot at stanford or penn for competitive residency...who cares? you're gonna be a physician serving your community no matter what - that fact is fulfilling enough and excites me so much already! of course I want to do well and get into a great residency, but at the end of the day, if I am able to use my knowledge and skill-set to help those in need (which is what any medical school trains you for), then I'll be a happy clam:joyful:

this is incorrect...don't mean to argue, but it's just not true. you can't begin med school with a chip on your shoulder already! come on and give it your best shot. even if you don't land a spot at stanford or penn for competitive residency...who cares? you're gonna be a physician serving your community no matter what - that fact is fulfilling enough and excites me so much already! of course I want to do well and get into a great residency, but at the end of the day, if I am able to use my knowledge and skill-set to help those in need (which is what any medical school trains you for), then I'll be a happy clam:joyful:
Totally not trying to have a chip on my shoulder. And I feel extremely fortunate to be able to pursue my dream! I mean to make the most of wherever I go. For me, once the decision is made and I know FOR SURE where I am going, I will embrace that wholeheartedly. Just me as a person, as long as there is a what if it is agonizingly painful. Totally 100% my personality. But, I'm excited to even be going to medical school. It feels so surreal most of the time.

I think the point that some of us are trying to make is that the success/hardwork ratio at a top school is gonna be higher than a mid/low tier school. If you excel at a top school, you'll get into a top residency, where as excelling at a mid/low tier school that is not the case.

And being mediocre at a top school will most likely get you at top residency whereas that is not the at mid/low tiers. Just look at the match lists of top schools and their step averages.

Regardless of where you go, you should work hard and hope for the best.

lmao not even future doctor. Straight up future MD.
Oh goodness im just gonna recreate this for my cap. Cute and subtle I think

Attachments

• IMG_6401.jpg
    IMG_6401.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 97
tbh, I didn't even go to my undergrad graduation. I didn't wanna wake up early. Yes, I know I'm super lazy

Last edited:
People will be much more impressed with your accomplishments if you don't boast about them.

Aka don't use your graduation ceremony to announce to the whole stadium that you're going to be a doctor.

Be humble, my youngins.

Celebrate however you damn well please. It's your graduation - if that means making a cute, sparkly cap, go for it. :horns:

Reactions: 2 users
tbh, I didn't even go to my undergrad graduation. I didn't wanna wake up early. Yes, I know I'm super lazy
I didn't want to sit through a 3 hour ceremony ... not including 2 hours trying to get out of the parking lot

Reactions: 3 users
well, aren't you all just too cool for school...(literally)

i loved attending my graduation, one of the best days of my life!

Me IRL

398.jpeg

So I'm graduating this semester and I'm worried about looking tacky. I have 4 stoles, 3 cords, and one medal. Do it anyway or drop a few?
Wear it all! I won't even lie, I loved having it all on during graduation, it felt....hefty lol. Plus it made my family happy and that made me happy.

Reactions: 2 users
lol people are gonna ask if you became a nurse.
Already happening. My parents friends and family keep congratulating me on getting into nursing school im like

Attachments

• IMG_90531.gif
    IMG_90531.gif
    847.3 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: 4 users
lol you should make this your profile pic...you've been changing it up a lot lately! identity crisis?

Lol nah. Im just spicing up my SDN game