**Official Class of 2021 Thread** !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
He's got some long posts but they're worth the read haha
LOL just got to it...talk about long posts. loving it

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Have any of you guys started apartment hunting yet?
I actually signed a lease last week and will be moving in May! I'm doing some MPH coursework this summer before med classes start. I think the extra time to get used to a new city will be nice. I wasn't planning on locking down an apartment so quick but I fell in love.

Reactions: 1 users
I actually signed a lease last week and will be moving in May! I'm doing some MPH coursework this summer before med classes start. I think the extra time to get used to a new city will be nice. I wasn't planning on locking down an apartment so quick but I fell in love.
Aghhhh I wish I could be you. I have to play the waitlist game, which means no apartment or mental stability for meeeeee

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm late to the party (was accepted in Dec) but congrats class of 2021! Looking forward to starting school this fall

Reactions: 6 users
I'm late to the party (was accepted in Dec) but congrats class of 2021! Looking forward to starting school this fall

Congrats! Now post your dankest meme

Reactions: 4 users
That's the only explanation that could make sense. That or he's not human
There is an active debate going on there , that he isnt qualified because he didnt publish much research. SMH.

Members don't see this ad :)
>4.0 HS GPA
>#1 Ranked recruit
>Magna Cum Laude
>IN 2.5 YEARS
>Rhodes Scholar
>Masters from Oxford
>NFL Player
>Chairman of his own foundation

I will never do any of those things.

Ah well, atleast I have a rare event pikachu.

There is an active debate going on there , that he isnt qualified because he didnt publish much research. SMH.

Haters gonna hate. This dude has the potential to be the next Ben Carson ( minus the craziness I hope)

Reactions: 2 users
Hello everyone, been accepted for a while now but I just wanted to post and join in on the fun.

After being accepted, I kind of feel like this guy with M1 about to hit me in August:
anigif_enhanced-buzz-31768-1405685443-14.gif

Reactions: 9 users
Hello everyone, been accepted for a while now but I just wanted to post and join in on the fun.

After being accepted, I kind of feel like this guy with M1 about to hit me in August:
anigif_enhanced-buzz-31768-1405685443-14.gif
gifsthatendtoosoon

Reactions: 5 users
Haters gonna hate. This dude has the potential to be the next Ben Carson ( minus the craziness I hope)
Probably more qualified to lead the HUD than Carson too ... :whistle:

Aghhhh I wish I could be you. I have to play the waitlist game, which means no apartment or mental stability for meeeeee
Same .... can't look for roommates either ... I just want to knowwwwwwwww

1gsbpf4kzqmy.jpg

This is amazing.

Reactions: 8 users
Dave Chappelle's Netflix specials are great :rofl:

Reactions: 3 users
I'm so sorry to be a downer. Is anyone else having horrible anxiety over choosing a school? I feel like I have NO idea what I'm doing

Reactions: 7 users
I'm so sorry to be a downer. Is anyone else having horrible anxiety over choosing a school? I feel like I have NO idea what I'm doing
You should post a thread in the School X vs Y subforum!

If the choice is so agonizingly close for you then it's probably a wash anyway. If there were going to be big distinguishing factors they would be big enough to be be obvious.

No but I am having anxiety about my choices. I want a good residency, and everything I read talks about prestige of a medical school as being important (which I didn't realize was so important when applying, or I would have applied differently). Just when I thought the stress of this process was over.....

No but I am having anxiety about my choices. I want a good residency, and everything I read talks about prestige of a medical school as being important (which I didn't realize was so important when applying, or I would have applied differently). Just when I thought the stress of this process was over.....
I think prestige can be helpful depending on where you want your career to go, but what is more important is the opportunities offered at each school and whether or not you take advantage of them. Prestige means little if you are unhappy or unsatisfied for four years. I would say if a school is a great fit and happens to be prestigious, then go with that. But I personally wouldn't pick a school solely based on prestige.

If the choice is so agonizingly close for you then it's probably a wash anyway. If there were going to be big distinguishing factors they would be big enough to be be obvious.

I think you're right. I'm trying to just go with my gut, I just keep overthinking!

I think prestige can be helpful depending on where you want your career to go, but what is more important is the opportunities offered at each school and whether or not you take advantage of them. Prestige means little if you are unhappy or unsatisfied for four years. I would say if a school is a great fit and happens to be prestigious, then go with that. But I personally wouldn't pick a school solely based on prestige.
That's true. My problem is I want a competitive residency. And it's just that it is way easier to get those if you go to Penn or Stanford or somewhere, than it is if you get into a lower ranked school. I'm not saying it's impossible, it's just way more difficult.

I think that we often have a tendency to think that just by going to a prestigious school will get closer to achieving our goals. But it's not the school that does all the hard work. It's you. No matter which school you go to, your chances of success depend first and foremost on your own hard work and performance. I say go to the place where you think you will feel the most comfortable, supported, and able to do your best work. Because at the end of the day, it's not the school that gets you into a residency; you get yourself into the residency.

Reactions: 8 users

I am! I'm not so much as worried about choosing the best school for me or the one that I will be happiest at (although these are the factors I'm considering), I'm more anxious about the the fact that this decision will impact the way my life goes. 4 different choices and 4 different futures I could have. Just thinking about the future in this way makes me super anxious.

I am! I'm not so much as worried about choosing the best school for me or the one that I will be happiest at (although these are the factors I'm considering), I'm more anxious about the the fact that this decision will impact the way my life goes. 4 different choices and 4 different futures I could have. Just thinking about the future in this way makes me super anxious.

Think of it this way. Would you rather be more miserable for 4 years and have better career opportunities or be happier for 4 years and have slightly worse career opportunities? When you're 60 and a doctor, those 4 years will seem insignificant.

This. Yes. And never knowing what your life would have been like if you chose the other place. At least for me, this is the biggest decision I have EVER made

Protip: If you're missing anything from your immunization record or have an expired TB test, get it through your work's Occupational Health. I saved like $80 and a trip to the shot nurse.

Protip: If you're missing anything from your immunization record or have an expired TB test, get it through your work's Occupational Health. I saved like $80 and a trip to the shot nurse.
If you work for a healthcare org,.

This. Yes. And never knowing what your life would have been like if you chose the other place. At least for me, this is the biggest decision I have EVER made
Go to a school that has a home program for the speciality you are interested in and is in a location you would like to live, thats about it. If you want to go to a harvard or UCSF residency you should go to harvard or ucsf.

If you work for a healthcare org,.

Go to a school that has a home program for the speciality you are interested in and is in a location you would like to live, thats about it. If you want to go to a harvard or UCSF residency you should go to harvard or ucsf.

Don't forget tuition!

I think that we often have a tendency to think that just by going to a prestigious school will get closer to achieving our goals. But it's not the school that does all the hard work. It's you. No matter which school you go to, your chances of success depend first and foremost on your own hard work and performance. I say go to the place where you think you will feel the most comfortable, supported, and able to do your best work. Because at the end of the day, it's not the school that gets you into a residency; you get yourself into the residency.

Check out some of the posts in the Allo forum. I agree with your sentiment of hardwork yielding rewards but the impact of school reputation are larger than what many premeds think.

Check out some of the posts in the Allo forum. I agree with your sentiment of hardwork yielding rewards but the impact of school reputation are larger than what many premeds think.

My point is that you could go to a school with a great reputation, but if your performance is mediocre, the school's reputation is not going to make up for that. It's always going to be on you to make the most of your education wherever you go. Don't rely on the school's reputation to solve your future.

My point is that you could go to a school with a great reputation, but if your performance is mediocre, the school's reputation is not going to make up for that. It's always going to be on you to make the most of your education wherever you go. Don't rely on the school's reputation to solve your future.
right. But if you get into a top institution AND work hard, you're all but guaranteed a good residency spot (assuming you have a good personality, which I'm assuming based on your ability to get into a top program for medial school). Just hard work will get you a chance, but not a guarantee.

That's the thing though. Being mediocre at a top school is more likely to get you a top residency than being top at a decent school.

Official Match Lists 2017...

Read ChordaEpiphany's posts. Very well written

This is true. Look at those match lists; top programs take from other top programs or themselves from the most part. I find it hard to believe 2 students with the same stats but one from a top school will have access to the same residency programs in most cases.

Edit: you literally read my mind lol

That's the thing though. Being mediocre at a top school is more likely to get you a top residency whereas being top at a decent school is less likely.

Official Match Lists 2017...

Read ChordaEpiphany's posts. Very well written

But it's not any kind of guarantee and the pressure is still entirely on you to do your best. I wouldn't make major life decisions based on the assumption that you're going to be able to do a mediocre job at a school and the school's reputation will push you over the edge into a top residency anyway.

But it's not any kind of guarantee and the pressure is still entirely on you to do your best. I wouldn't make major life decisions based on the assumption that you're going to be able to do a mediocre job at a school and the school's reputation will push you over the edge into a top residency anyway.
This wasn't my original point though. I am planning on working hard no matter where I go. I understand what you are saying, but a decent school versus a top school will not in any way offer me the same career opportunities later on down the line, including residency.

This wasn't my original point though. I am planning on working hard no matter where I go. I understand what you are saying, but a decent school versus a top school will not in any way offer me the same career opportunities later on down the line, including residency.

Do what you want. :shrug: