Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+1 on eating chunks of cheese. vintage cheddar with an IPA being my current fave. In fact im about to dig in right now and watch the new GoT.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
What's your guys take on bacon? I personally think it's the most overrated food there is. Could go on for days about this.
Agreed. I enjoy the smell in the morning along with some eggs, but never with any other meal. Get that crap off my burger plz

Agreed. I enjoy the smell in the morning along with some eggs, but never with any other meal. Get that crap off my burger plz
Get it off your burger, salad, potatoes, fries, shrimp, etc. Also the amount of bacon flavored things... Bacon flavored ranch, bacon flavored VODKA!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhh

Members don't see this ad :)
What's your guys take on bacon? I personally think it's the most overrated food there is. Could go on for days about this.
GOOD bacon is amazing. We buy ours from Trader Joes and it's da bomb. You literally cannot ruin it.

Average bacon usually won't make a meal worse, sometimes makes it better.

Cruddy bacon is cruddy.

Reactions: 1 users

I'll take a heartattack burger with gouda, smoked bacon, and a fried egg.

FARK YES!

Reactions: 2 users
Get it off your burger, salad, potatoes, fries, shrimp, etc. Also the amount of bacon flavored things... Bacon flavored ranch, bacon flavored VODKA!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhh
I love it on/in other dishes. It's a great accent.
I hate it as a flavoring. Eww. If you're going to have meat flavor, have meat. If you're skipping the meat, skip the flavor.

Ugh, cutesy flavored vodkas are my pet peeve. Especially any that aren't fruit-flavored. Bacon? Bubblegum? PB&J?

http://liquor.com/slideshows/the-worlds-17-craziest-vodka-flavors/

Ew.

I feel this way with one exception: cake vodka. I had a little airline bottle of the stuff once in and old fashioned glass with Izze blackberry soda, all over ice. If the base vodka had been better quality my husband would have come in because he would've been jealous of the sounds I'd have made.

Reactions: 1 user

Finally, definitive proof that the voices on SDN aren't actually human beings!

jk, but I can get behind the major differences between nitrate saturated pork belly and truly hardwood smoked bacon. I don't eat pork so much so I switched to beef bacon. It's harder to find, but I think it's tastier. (Also I do second you on bacon flavored vodka. just. ew.)

I feel this way with one exception: cake vodka. I had a little airline bottle of the stuff once in and old fashioned glass with Izze blackberry soda, all over ice. If the base vodka had been better quality my husband would have come in because he would've been jealous of the sounds I'd have made.

LOL! I would love that drink if it were just regulah vodka, or even lemon-flavored. But when I hear "cake-flavored vodka" all I can think about is Pinnacle's "Imitation Strawberry Shortcake" flavored vodka. At least they are up-front! :eek:

I do love bacon. I love that it's so distinctive, savory and complementary to sweet stuff. And I LOVE bacon's morbidly obese sibling, pork belly.

jk, but I can get behind the major differences between nitrate saturated pork belly and truly hardwood smoked bacon. I don't eat pork so much so I switched to beef bacon. It's harder to find, but I think it's tastier. (Also I do second you on bacon flavored vodka. just. ew.)

?? I'm going to have to talk to my butcher about this.

Jealousy? Say what? Looks like a little blue penguin to me. And I support penguins in sweaters! Sweaters for all!!!

My friends back in the South Pole agree.

penguins-600.jpg

They're Little Penguins, native to Australia and New Zealand. I found the picture when I came across this article on yahoo.
https://www.yahoo.com/makers/109-year-old-spends-his-days-knitting-sweaters-for-110737180910.html

I love knitting, and I frequently work with elderly dementia patients so this guy is just plain awesome to me.

And here is more information on the penguins he knits for:

http://penguinfoundation.org.au/about-little-penguins/

I would knit little sweaters for them too, but they say they don't need any more because everyone was so generous.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm cool with turkey bacon, but even that's pushing it.

They're Little Penguins, native to Australia and New Zealand. I found the picture when I came across this article on yahoo.
https://www.yahoo.com/makers/109-year-old-spends-his-days-knitting-sweaters-for-110737180910.html

I love knitting, and I frequently work with elderly dementia patients so this guy is just plain awesome to me.

And here is more information on the penguins he knits for:

http://penguinfoundation.org.au/about-little-penguins/

I would knit little sweaters for them too, but they say they don't need any more because everyone was so generous.

Pretty interesting stuff. You and @cactus8910 should co-knit more sweaters for fluffy penguins (and puffins). I'm certain you'll impress Queen @ProbablyAPenguin and Founding Penguin @penguinism.

Pretty interesting stuff. You and @cactus8910 should co-knit more sweaters for fluffy penguins (and puffins). I'm certain you'll impress Queen @ProbablyAPenguin and Founding Penguin @penguinism.
Oh dear. Me, knitting? Not advisable. I tried to make a scarf once, dropped and added stitches all over the place, and ended up with something fairly bowtie-shaped. Hats on the other hand...http://theotterexplorer.tumblr.com/...y-christmoose-everybody-petey-the-penguin-and

Oh dear. Me, knitting? Not advisable. I tried to make a scarf once, dropped and added stitches all over the place, and ended up with something fairly bowtie-shaped. Hats on the other hand...http://theotterexplorer.tumblr.com/...y-christmoose-everybody-petey-the-penguin-and

Adorable! I love knitting hats, they're my favorite thing to knit! Scarves are boring, just one long line . . . knitting a scarf is like sitting in stop and go traffic to me. And I've always been fond of this saying that I just made up: "Those who can't knit, crochet*!"

*disclaimer: no offense intended to any serious crochet fans out there, but it is easier IMO

Turkey bacon is wrong and evil in my opinion. They do all sorts of nasty things to nice turkeys to make them taste like something they're not supposed to. Beef bacon is the same fatty cut from a cow and its smoked like good pork bacon should be. Frankenfood is a pet peeve of mine.

To take this a step further, I never really liked anything from a pig except for pepperoni. If I was ruler of the world, the first thing I'd do is ban the production of meat lovers pizzas.

In other news, Aaron Hernandez found guilt of first degree murder. Life in prison, no parole. Ouch.

I'm more concerned about NFL cheerleaders suffering from low to nonexistent wages.

Never understood why they don't just work at the Diamonds down the street. Better pay, flexible hours, etc.

They probably do. Cheerleaders work fulltime jobs to support themselves. That doesn't justify the teams to exploit them just because they enjoy cheerleading.

Lol wait was your first post serious? I think some of them are college cheerleaders anyway. That's the way it is for the NHL and NBA at least.

I'm serious. That's pretty much the only sports news I follow. Besides some regular season games and playoffs.

And even for college cheerleaders, they should be paid at least minimum wage. There's a massive labor lawsuit going on that college players aren't paid. Just exploitation.

After some research, they're definitely underpaid. I knew this was the case but I didn't know that some even turned out it be equal to less than minimum wage. Not cool.

To take this a step further, I never really liked anything from a pig except for pepperoni. If I was ruler of the world, the first thing I'd do is ban the production of meat lovers pizzas.
No ham? No perfectly grilled pork chops (or the little tiny ones pan fried for breakfast sandwiches)? No pork tenderloin, butterflied and then rerolled stuffed with spinach, fontina cheese, and yes, a tiny bit of good bacon, rubbed all over in garlic/paprika/pepper, quickly browned in a pan and then slowly baked to perfection?
WHY YOU HATE MY COOKING?!?!?

See, I just see turkey bacon as its own, separate sort of breakfast meat. It's not really bacon, it's just another breakfast meat. That way when I eat it, I'm not disappointed in any way because I'm expected, y'know, bacon.

And yeah, actual hardwood smoked bacon? It might just change your religion. Baconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconmmmmm....

No ham? No perfectly grilled pork chops (or the little tiny ones pan fried for breakfast sandwiches)? No pork tenderloin, butterflied and then rerolled stuffed with spinach, fontina cheese, and yes, a tiny bit of good bacon, rubbed all over in garlic/paprika/pepper, quickly browned in a pan and then slowly baked to perfection?

You forgot about pulled pork. Nothing else comes close to that when it's done right. Pulled chicken/beef/whathaveyou pale in comparison.

The NFL has a serious crime problem. There's also this.

NFL players actually have a lower arrest rate than other adult men in the US. However, their weapons-related arrests is like 2x more.

http://deadspin.com/what-do-arrests-data-really-say-about-nfl-players-and-c-733301399

See, I just see turkey bacon as its own, separate sort of breakfast meat. It's not really bacon, it's just another breakfast meat. That way when I eat it, I'm not disappointed in any way because I'm expected, y'know, bacon.

And yeah, actual hardwood smoked bacon? It might just change your religion. Baconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconmmmmm....

Funny you bring up religion... In your guys's defense, I was raised in a Muslim household, so anything from a pig was a no-no when I was a child. However, once I started college, I sorta drifted away from those beliefs (to say the least). That said, I honestly think my upbringing has had an effect on my preference for bacon, salami, ham, etc. I almost gag when I eat some of that stuff. But then again, like I said, I did (I only eat fish now. And no, that's not why I really hate bacon. I don't have any hate for chicken, beef, etc.) like pepperoni.

You forgot about pulled pork. Nothing else comes close to that when it's done right. Pulled chicken/beef/whathaveyou pale in comparison.

Forgot about pulled pork. That stuff is actually very good.

I don't hate your cooking. . . I just know that pigs are on average smarter than dogs. I can't imagine eating a dog and my brain just transposes that feeling onto piggies. I don't eat octopus either for the same reason. Squid on the other hand . . . YUM!
Plus a lot of the wonderful cooking that you can do with pork can be accomplished with dumb cows, dumb chickens or even dumb sheep. Tonight I am making a "pear and sage stuffed pork roast", but instead of pork I am rolling and stuffing boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Luckily sage goes as well with poultry as it does with pork. With your butterflied pork tenderloin recipe up there I would sub in lamb; I think it would go especially well with the fontina cheese.

Adorable! I love knitting hats, they're my favorite thing to knit! Scarves are boring, just one long line . . . knitting a scarf is like sitting in stop and go traffic to me. And I've always been fond of this saying that I just made up: "Those who can't knit, crochet*!"

*disclaimer: no offense intended to any serious crochet fans out there, but it is easier IMO

I learned to crochet when I was small and in the hospital for a long stay and my mother ran out of books. Yet while I can crochet anything out there, I really don't consider myself a crocheter/hooker because I grew to hate it - the only yarn available to me was pretty much Red Heart Pound O' Love acrylic yarn. I still hate that crap. I will do anything else than work with it and as far as acrylics go, the sound hasn't changed and it brings all that back, so I rarely knit with acrylics in general.

Soooooocks. Socks, socks, socks. I mean, I've knit a bit of most of everything except bed coverings but socks are awesome. I love knitting them and I love wearing them, they're highly portable and make the wait in any line much shorter (if only because some manager sees me knitting and goes "oh, crap, it's so slow that woman is knitting in line; get more cashiers up here!"). I didn't knit significantly for about a year and now my sock drawer is almost recovered. Lace, colorwork, ribbing, gansey-style, beaded, cozy, toe-warming, foot-hugging handknit wool socks. Got three pairs on the needles as I type this and another couple on for the hubby. I love him so he gets handknit socks.

Funny you bring up religion... In your guys's defense, I was raised in a Muslim household, so anything from a pig was a no-no when I was a child. However, once I started college, I sorta drifted away from those beliefs (to say the least). That said, I honestly think my upbringing has had an effect on my preference for bacon, salami, ham, etc. I almost gag when I eat some of that stuff. But then again, like I said, I did (I only eat fish now. And no, that's not why I really hate bacon. I don't have any hate for chicken, beef, etc.) like pepperoni.

Oh, I've got several forms of meat I don't eat and I'm with you on some forms of ham/pork, especially something like sandwich meat. Cold cuts are often... well, I'm really picky about it. Anything more fat than lean, I pretty much can't eat unless it's possible to easily separate the two. It's a texture thing.

True dat. I make a mean pulled pork (super vinegary, I don't like mixing my sweet with my savory so much).

I don't hate your cooking. . . I just know that pigs are on average smarter than dogs. I can't imagine eating a dog and my brain just transposes that feeling onto piggies. I don't eat octopus either for the same reason. Squid on the other hand . . . YUM!
Plus a lot of the wonderful cooking that you can do with pork can be accomplished with dumb cows, dumb chickens or even dumb sheep. Tonight I am making a "pear and sage stuffed pork roast", but instead of pork I am rolling and stuffing boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Luckily sage goes as well with poultry as it does with pork. With your butterflied pork tenderloin recipe up there I would sub in lamb; I think it would go especially well with the fontina cheese.
I would eat dog if it tasted good and was socially acceptable (read: available at the grocery store). I would not eat my dog, but that's the eternal conundrum of being an omnivore with compassion for other species :shrug:

I would have to completely change the spices, at the very least, to do lamb. I do not think the paprika would go. The bacon would definitely be out. I'm skeptical that it would meld well with fontina, but I'd give it a try. I'd go chicken with that recipe before lamb, methinks.

Also, I might have to try pear/sage/pork, that sounds delish. Not too much pear, though...again, I like to separate my sweet and savory. Maybe incorporate the pears in a side salad (with walnuts and a nice, light, homemade vinegarette?)

I learned to crochet when I was small and in the hospital for a long stay and my mother ran out of books. Yet while I can crochet anything out there, I really don't consider myself a crocheter/hooker because I grew to hate it - the only yarn available to me was pretty much Red Heart Pound O' Love acrylic yarn. I still hate that crap. I will do anything else than work with it and as far as acrylics go, the sound hasn't changed and it brings all that back, so I rarely knit with acrylics in general.

Soooooocks. Socks, socks, socks. I mean, I've knit a bit of most of everything except bed coverings but socks are awesome. I love knitting them and I love wearing them, they're highly portable and make the wait in any line much shorter (if only because some manager sees me knitting and goes "oh, crap, it's so slow that woman is knitting in line; get more cashiers up here!"). I didn't knit significantly for about a year and now my sock drawer is almost recovered. Lace, colorwork, ribbing, gansey-style, beaded, cozy, toe-warming, foot-hugging handknit wool socks. Got three pairs on the needles as I type this and another couple on for the hubby. I love him so he gets handknit socks.

Sounds wonderful! I haven't gotten into socks yet but I probably should. Do you use a loom or circular needles?

True dat. I make a mean pulled pork (super vinegary, I don't like mixing my sweet with my savory so much).

I've always hated mixing sweet and savory, but I recently went paleo (cue people telling me I'm insane, I expect it) and part of the paleo diet is no added salt. It took me about a week to get used to it and stop missing salt, but I find I am much more accepting of sweet and savory right now as a result. Before this diet I never would have made that recipe. I still don't know if I will like it, we will find out tomorrow . . .

Sounds wonderful! I haven't gotten into socks yet but I probably should. Do you use a loom or circular needles?

I'm at the point in knitting where I'm so relaxed in my gauge that I'm starting to need to use needles that are so small in diameter that the sizes just aren't offered in circs. I use metal double pointed needles most often, and sometimes circs (because of the foregoing I'll tend more to use circs when doing colorwork like Fair Isle because I do find that I need to go up a size when I'm doing double-handed colorwork).

If I use circular I tend to use a Magic Loop method (that's what I'm doing right now for a pair of Cookie A. knee highs) and not two circs for one sock. I've done that method but I'm not fond of it for me; plenty of people are. For all that I have one pair on the needles right now, too, this would be the first pair I've knit two-at-a-time in a few years. I tend to knit socks one at a time or in tandem (do cuff #1, then do cuff #2, go back to sock 1 and do the leg, etc.). If you want, here's my Ravelry page of just the sock projects I've done.

I've always hated mixing sweet and savory, but I recently went paleo (cue people telling me I'm insane, I expect it) and part of the paleo diet is no added salt. It took me about a week to get used to it and stop missing salt, but I find I am much more accepting of sweet and savory right now as a result. Before this diet I never would have made that recipe. I still don't know if I will like it, we will find out tomorrow . . .
Psssh, Ayla totally had salt in Clan of the Cave Bear. It's SO paleo!!
But that would not work for me, my grandma has always (for no real reason) been a 'no salt in my cooking' person and even when I lived at her house I could not stand sweet/savory combos.

I'm at the point in knitting where I'm so relaxed in my gauge that I'm starting to need to use needles that are so small in diameter that the sizes just aren't offered in circs. I use metal double pointed needles most often, and sometimes circs (because of the foregoing I'll tend more to use circs when doing colorwork like Fair Isle because I do find that I need to go up a size when I'm doing double-handed colorwork).

If I use circular I tend to use a Magic Loop method (that's what I'm doing right now for a pair of Cookie A. knee highs) and not two circs for one sock. I've done that method but I'm not fond of it for me; plenty of people are. For all that I have one pair on the needles right now, too, this would be the first pair I've knit two-at-a-time in a few years. I tend to knit socks one at a time or in tandem (do cuff #1, then do cuff #2, go back to sock 1 and do the leg, etc.). If you want, here's my Ravelry page of just the sock projects I've done.

I love the echinacea design. That is one beautiful sock. I started on metal needles and switched to bamboo some years ago (because that was all that was available for a reasonable price). Now whenever I try metal the yarn just slides all over the place, maybe I will try that pattern on my bamboo dpns.

Thanks for the link. I guess I just expect better behavior from people who make that kind of $$. :shrug:

This is an argument that plenty of people make. I'm sure the numbers would look a lot different if you compared NFL players with others who make similar amounts of money. However, considering the environment that lots of these players were raised in, I think the issues are much deeper than that and it's not a very fair comparison.

Psssh, Ayla totally had salt in Clan of the Cave Bear. It's SO paleo!!
But that would not work for me, my grandma has always (for no real reason) been a 'no salt in my cooking' person and even when I lived at her house I could not stand sweet/savory combos.

I'm not gonna lie, it took me a while to stop missing salt. I even had a moment where I thought, "Am I ever going to enjoy food again?" Which was me being dramatic because I don't plan on doing this eating plan forever. I think it also helps that I am compensating heavily with hot spices and herbs, but some of the recipes I try still come up hopelessly bland--I'm looking at you creamy mushroom and zucchini noodle saute. I will have to double check Ayla's cookbook though; its been way too long since I read that book series and I remember a lot of wild animals and cave "romance" but not a lot of epicurious.

I love the echinacea design. That is one beautiful sock. I started on metal needles and switched to bamboo some years ago (because that was all that was available for a reasonable price). Now whenever I try metal the yarn just slides all over the place, maybe I will try that pattern on my bamboo dpns.

Heh, I did my first sock on bamboo DPNs and then moved to metal because of pointiness issues. You can do Echinaceae just fine on bamboo, I'd think. Enjoy it!

...now I'm thinking about how much I need/want some cobalt blue semisolid sock yarn.... :whistle:

I'm not gonna lie, it took me a while to stop missing salt. I even had a moment where I thought, "Am I ever going to enjoy food again?" Which was me being dramatic because I don't plan on doing this eating plan forever. I think it also helps that I am compensating heavily with hot spices and herbs, but some of the recipes I try still come up hopelessly bland--I'm looking at you creamy mushroom and zucchini noodle saute. I will have to double check Ayla's cookbook though; its been way too long since I read that book series and I remember a lot of wild animals and cave "romance" but not a lot of epicurious.
I'd say it talks about cooking more frequently than flint knapping, but less frequently than 'romance'.
But then, I was about 8-10 when I first read the series, so I used to pretend the romance parts didn't exist. :shrug:

This is an argument that plenty of people make. I'm sure the numbers would look a lot different if you compared NFL players with others who make similar amounts of money. However, considering the environment that lots of these players were raised in, I think the issues are much deeper than that and it's not a very fair comparison.
I totally agree. But what distinguishes the ones from poor/urban environments who behave better from those who do not? Does the college program play a role in this? Obviously, I realize it's a complex issue. I'm just wondering if the institutions that profit from these kids actually make an effort to address this.

I'd say it talks about cooking more frequently than flint knapping, but less frequently than 'romance'.
But then, I was about 8-10 when I first read the series, so I used to pretend the romance parts didn't exist. :shrug:

It has literally been so long since I read the series I probably cannot point to an accurate fact in it. I've confabulated too much of the Clan of the Cave Bear's Ayla with the Ayla from Chrono Trigger. Maybe I should pick it up before I enter school and stop reading for fun for the next ten years.

It has literally been so long since I read the series I probably cannot point to an accurate fact in it. I've confabulated too much of the Clan of the Cave Bear's Ayla with the Ayla from Chrono Trigger. Maybe I should pick it up before I enter school and stop reading for fun for the next ten years.
My senior thesis happened to involve prehistoric flint artifacts, so I actually went back and reread out of interest...she was surprisingly accurate on a lot of fronts. I mean, clearly not the whole 'Forrest Gump of the prehistoric world" plotline, but when she describes techniques and locations, I'm now inclined to go "huh, really?" instead of "haha OK sure that's how it worked" as I did before.

My senior thesis happened to involve prehistoric flint artifacts, so I actually went back and reread out of interest...she was surprisingly accurate on a lot of fronts. I mean, clearly not the whole 'Forrest Gump of the prehistoric world" plotline, but when she describes techniques and locations, I'm now inclined to go "huh, really?" instead of "haha OK sure that's how it worked" as I did before.

That sounds like a really neat senior thesis.

Heh, I did my first sock on bamboo DPNs and then moved to metal because of pointiness issues. You can do Echinaceae just fine on bamboo, I'd think. Enjoy it!

...now I'm thinking about how much I need/want some cobalt blue semisolid sock yarn.... :whistle:

I picked up quilting as well as knitting along the way. I now have a problem where pretty colored fabrics and yarns tend to show up in my house . . .

I totally agree. But what distinguishes the ones from poor/urban environments who behave better from those who do not? Does the college program play a role in this? Obviously, I realize it's a complex issue. I'm just wondering if the institutions that profit from these kids actually make an effort to address this.

I'm sure what school a player goes to can influence to some extent the type of person they become. Some programs are known for some of their off the field issues (eg The U). But honestly, sometimes regardless of program, it can be hard to undue 18 years of trauma in just the 3-4 years that a school has a player.