This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have heard that Barry has an average of 489 for last year's matriculants. If this is true, would my 485 be eligible to even get me an interview invite?

I had a 489 mcat with a way lower GPA and got an interview. however, if im you, i shoot for the january MCAT and nail a 495+

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
how do schools feel about retaking pre req classes?

I had one really bad semester with a D in orgo 2 and physics 2 (which was calc based)

I retook orgo 2 and got an A- and retook physics and received a B

I had one really bad semester with a D in orgo 2 and physics 2 (which was calc based)

It looks good; be able to explain what happened the first time though.
I failed orgo 1, retook it got an A....but my F was due to being late for attendance more than 3x (was working), which for that class/prof was an automatic F.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

It looks better than not retaking. All prerequisites have to be passed with C or better. So you had to retake it. It happens to a lot of students, but you were able to reinvent yourself and got better grades. That is good.

You're fine.

Just explain to them what you did wrong the first time--- how you changed to get the second grade.

Hello Everyone!

I would like to know what my chances are:

Science GPA: 3.26
Overall GPA: 3.50
Great LORs from Podiatrist and two science professors

40 hours of shadowing a DPM
60+ hours shadowing a Dentist
over 500+ volunteering hours while also holding President and Vice President position for community service orgs.

I currently work for Child Protective Services and I have worked for Adult Protective services in the past. I worked full-time while going to school.

I plan to take the MCAT in October...but what score do I need to get scholarship money.
Shoot for 500+ and you're fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello Everyone!

over 500+ volunteering hours while also holding President and Vice President position for community service orgs.

I currently work for Child Protective Services and I have worked for Adult Protective services in the past. I worked full-time while going to school.

I plan to take the MCAT in October...but what score do I need to get scholarship money.
There is no MCAT in October. Last day is September 18 or 19 i believe.

I plan to take the MCAT in October..
I dont think there is MCAT between September and Late January. Sounds like you didn't even sign up for it.

To answer your question, aim for 500 or above. If you get lower, you might get some scholarships depending on the school and when you apply.

Hello Everyone!

get a 528 and go for free :nod:

Reactions: 2 users
Hey, I’m applying this cycle but I just wanted to know what my chances are looking like

My cGPA is a 3.06 and my sGPA is a 2.69 (ouch). My nonscience GPA is around a 3.87. My first two years were solid but all junior year and beginning of senior year I faced some medical issues. That sucked because those were my science heavy semesters. I have letters of recommendation, lots of volunteering hours, shadowed a podiatrist in the OR, extracurriculars, etc. I never received any grade below a C- but I did have 1 W when I first transferred and 2W’s during the rough patch. I took some honors classes. There was an upward trend ending of senior year 3.2ish (the classes were so hard!) My grades for my prerequisites were fine but in Physics I and II I got C’s. My university is known to be pretty difficult. I haven’t officially taken the MCAT yet but I just scored a 500 on my last full length. I’m shooting for at least 505 with the month I have left of studying.

What are my chances specifically with Temple, NYCPM, Scholl, CSPM, and Western? If you guys could tell me, that would be great! Thank you!
The MCAT will make or break you. You need to score well to make up for your science GPA.

my sGPA is a 2.69.... My first two years were solid but all junior year and beginning of senior year I faced some medical issues..... I never received any grade below a C- but
With such sGPA and lower grades in the last 2 years, I would highly recommend at least 1 or better 2 semester of science coursework. How you plan to start med school if your recent science coursework suffered.

Can you get accepted? Yes. But it is not the most important step. Passing and doing well in med school is most important.

You say you never got a grade below C-, but 2.69 Science GPA tells me your average grade is about B-. It tells me that you probably have Bs and Cs only. And if you first 2 years were Bs and maybe some A-, then last 2 years had lots of Cs and C-. That is not good.

I would highly advise to enter med school with some confidence. Even if you apply right now and get in, you have 1 year before you start. You could take 1 semester and see how you do and work on your studying strategies and habits.

Do I say that you cant succeed? No, but your last coursework was worse than previous, that is not a good sign usually.

With all of that said, a lot depends on MCAT now.

Mcat of 495+ puts you in the running for some of the larger schools, the higher the better.

500+ and I think most Pod schools would feel more comfortable offering up the acceptance, even with the low science GPA.

Mcat of less than that, I don’t feel the chances of an acceptance are likely , but you might still be able to get one. Less than a 490 and I would retake.

Hey, I’m applying this cycle but I just wanted to know what my chances are looking like

My cGPA is a 3.06 and my sGPA is a 2.69 (ouch). My nonscience GPA is around a 3.87. My first two years were solid but all junior year and beginning of senior year I faced some medical issues. That sucked because those were my science heavy semesters. I have letters of recommendation, lots of volunteering hours, shadowed a podiatrist in the OR, extracurriculars, etc. I never received any grade below a C- but I did have 1 W when I first transferred and 2W’s during the rough patch. I took some honors classes. There was an upward trend ending of senior year 3.2ish (the classes were so hard!) My grades for my prerequisites were fine but in Physics I and II I got C’s. My university is known to be pretty difficult. I haven’t officially taken the MCAT yet but I just scored a 500 on my last full length. I’m shooting for at least 505 with the month I have left of studying.

What are my chances specifically with Temple, NYCPM, Scholl, CSPM, and Western? If you guys could tell me, that would be great! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you guys calculate sgpa? i know that they have an official excel doc you can download but for whatever reason its not working for me

How did you guys calculate sgpa? i know that they have an official excel doc you can download but for whatever reason its not working for me
Use web calculators. Plug in individual grades from all science courses and corresponding credit hours

Do you think the high MCAT would look bad against a low gpa?

Do you think the high MCAT would look bad against a low gpa?
I'm not sure if it would look bad but when I would talk to recruiters and admissions, they say they look at the app holistically. My guess would be it won't look bad and it'll help offset the low GPA.

I'm not sure if it would look bad but when I would talk to recruiters and admissions, they say they look at the app holistically. My guess would be it won't look bad and it'll help offset the low GPA.
ok that's good to hear. i think i can definitely explain it b/c i was first an engineering major and so most of my bad grades were from my first 2 years.

Hi guys!
I'm a long time lurker and appreciate how everyone is so friendly! I am applying this cycle and I was wondering what my chances are to get into podiatry school specifically WesternU. My cGPA is 3.29, my sGPA is 3.04, and MCAT is 498. I don't have much EC's but I have over 500 shadowing hrs with my podiatrist. Do you think that will help get me an interview? Thanks!

Hi guys!
I'm a long time lurker and appreciate how everyone is so friendly! I am applying this cycle and I was wondering what my chances are to get into podiatry school specifically WesternU. My cGPA is 3.29, my sGPA is 3.04, and MCAT is 498. I don't have much EC's but I have over 500 shadowing hrs with my podiatrist. Do you think that will help get me an interview? Thanks!
You have awesome chances to get interviews. Why did you shadow a podiatrist for so long? That's like 3 months, 40hrs/wk.

That will definitely help during interviews, but most importantly what you got out of this experience and how you will describe it.

You have awesome chances to get interviews. Why did you shadow a podiatrist for so long? That's like 3 months, 40hrs/wk.

That will definitely help during interviews, but most importantly what you got out of this experience and how you will describe it.
That's good to hear, thanks! I've been shadowing the podiatrist over 2 years now, it's been on and off but I really enjoy the office he has and the patients I've seen. Plus I've been shadowing there so long I have been transitioned from a shadow to a scribe so now I can get paid for spending time there haha.

That's good to hear, thanks! I've been shadowing the podiatrist over 2 years now, it's been on and off but I really enjoy the office he has and the patients I've seen. Plus I've been shadowing there so long I have been transitioned from a shadow to a scribe so now I can get paid for spending time there haha.
You'll do fine.
They like people with balanced stats like yours.

what are my chances with an Environmental science Masters 3.7 gpa, Chemistry undergrad 2.5 gpa and mcat of 501 with 100 shadow hours and 8 years in the medical field as a CNA, PCA, and Home health aide. Volunteered in puerto rico and was given plenty of awards for community service and was class president.

what are my chances with an Environmental science Masters 3.7 gpa, Chemistry undergrad 2.5 gpa and mcat of 501 with 100 shadow hours and 8 years in the medical field as a CNA, PCA, and Home health aide. Volunteered in puerto rico and was given plenty of awards for community service and was class president.

MCAT is great.
Undergrad GPA is horrible.
Masters doesn't count much unless you filled your electives with upper level medical school related courses.

You will get in somewhere with that MCAT. Apply to the bigger programs.

If you didn't already take several high-level science courses before applying. A 2.5 GPA means mostly Cs or worst grades. You would want to make it out if accepted, so, I would recommend taking the following courses before applying: anatomy and physio 1 and 2, biochemistry 1 and 2 (no lab), microbiology (with lab), cell biology/immuno/ and any other bio course that interests you.

You will get in somewhere with that 501 but there is a HUGE risk of failing out but if you do the postbacc and try to maintain a good gpa, you will be better prepared to handle the pressure.

If you didn't already take several high-level science courses before applying. A 2.5 GPA means mostly Cs or worst grades. You would want to make it out if accepted, so, I would recommend taking the following courses before applying: anatomy and physio 1 and 2, biochemistry 1 and 2 (no lab), microbiology (with lab), cell biology/immuno/ and any other bio course that interests you.

You will get in somewhere with that 501 but there is a HUGE risk of failing out but if you do the postbacc and try to maintain a good gpa, you will be better prepared to handle the pressure.
Thanks for the advice everyone. I took biochem 1 and 2 , anatom and physio 1 and 2 , microbio, and a bunch of bio and high level chem courses. I have As and Bs in all but biochem which I got a D in both. Should I retake the biochem?

Thanks for the advice everyone. I took biochem 1 and 2 , anatom and physio 1 and 2 , microbio, and a bunch of bio and high level chem courses. I have As and Bs in all but biochem which I got a D in both. Should I retake the biochem?
Biochem not required if you've met credit load.
Take it if you think it will help your chances of getting in.

As and Bs in all your sciences look good. Still does not explain the 2.5.
If you get an invite, they will ask you about it.

Major advice needed::::

So I was going to take my MCAT today and ended up having it voided because of not being prepared for a section. Now my choices of taking it are September 19th or first date in January. My GPA is on the lower side: cGPA-3.1 and sGPA: 2.7 since they do not calculate math courses in the science gpa anymore...

I still have another year left of college to raise some grades but do you think taking the MCAT in January is too late? I feel like I need to apply early to have a chance of getting in but what do you guys consider early for pod apps?

So I was going to take my MCAT today and ended up having it voided because of not being prepared for a section. Now my choices of taking it are September 19th or first date in January. My GPA is on the lower side: cGPA-3.1 and sGPA: 2.7 since they do not calculate math courses in the science gpa anymore...

I still have another year left of college to raise some grades but do you think taking the MCAT in January is too late? I feel like I need to apply early to have a chance of getting in but what do you guys consider early for pod apps?

From what I heard, January is still considered early for pod cycle. So you'll be fine taking it in January. Good luck.

If I were you, I would spend as much time as possible on your MCAT prep. A solid MCAT score will definitely offset your lower GPAs. Aim for 495 and higher and you should be good even with applying in February.

I vote for January. I wouldn't say its early, but about midway through the cycle.

Chances?
sGPA: 3.1 (could be a little lower if math is not included...)
cGPA: 3.4 (much higher non-science, Chem got the best of me in ugrad....)
MCAT: (scheduled) Practice revealed ~495
~200 hours hospital volunteer
~40 hours shadow/work chiropractor
1 year licensed pharm tech
Camp counselor for minorities and females in STEM
Wrote for college newspaper
About to shadow pod for roughly 2 days (~16 hours or so)

Super scared about MCAT.

How's it lookin? Best time for me to apply to increase chances?

Chances?

Super scared about MCAT.

Shadow pods. Take the mcat when you're scoring above 500 on practice exams. You get some II with a 495...GL.

Chances?

Super scared about MCAT.

I have slightly lower gpa( sgpa 3.0 cgpa: 3.3 ) but scored a 504 and so far have been really successful with interviews! Good luck to you! There's hope for us lower gpa peeps

Last edited:
I have the slightly lower gpa( sgpa 3.0 cgpa: 3.3 ) but scored a 504 and so far have been really successful with interviews! Good luck to you! There's hope for us lower gpa peeps
!!! that's awesome! Good job on that MCAT tho!! My MCAT is around the corner, pumped and scared at the same time. When did you apply? I didn't know interviews were done so early! That's hopeful.

!!! that's awesome! Good job on that MCAT tho!! My MCAT is around the corner, pumped and scared at the same time. When did you apply? I didn't know interviews were done so early! That's hopeful.
Thank you!!!! I submitted 8/13! So far I've gotten 4 and going on my first interview next Tuesday :)
And don't worry i'm sure you'll slay the MCAT. Good luck to you!

Chances?

Super scared about MCAT.

You're good.

Hello all,

I'm shooting for CSPM, please let me know if you think I have a chance.

Before post-bacc cGPA: 3.23, sGPA: 2.70
With post-bacc cGPA: 3.53, sGPA: 3.80

My post-bacc was 93 semester units over 2 years at local community colleges, knocking out pre reqs and random courses to help raise my gpa. I ended up with a post-bacc cGPA of 3.97.

MCAT: 491
~160 hours ER volunteer
~45 hours shadowing DO
~8 hours shadowing a DPM (just started...ongoing thing, aiming for around 20)
~200 hours community volunteer
~4 years military (couple awards/medals)
~3 years systems engineer (earned a promotion)
~BS in Business Administration

My transcripts have all been recieved and just need to obtain a DPM LOR. Do you think I should wait for the LOR before submitting my application?

Thank you for your advice/assistance.

Hello all,

I'm shooting for CSPM, please let me know if you think I have a chance.

Before post-bacc cGPA: 3.23, sGPA: 2.70
With post-bacc cGPA: 3.53, sGPA: 3.80

My post-bacc was 93 semester units over 2 years at local community colleges, knocking out pre reqs and random courses to help raise my gpa. I ended up with a post-bacc cGPA of 3.97.

MCAT: 491
~160 hours ER volunteer
~45 hours shadowing DO
~8 hours shadowing a DPM (just started...ongoing thing, aiming for around 20)
~200 hours community volunteer
~4 years military (couple awards/medals)
~3 years systems engineer (earned a promotion)
~BS in Business Administration

My transcripts have all been recieved and just need to obtain a DPM LOR. Do you think I should wait for the LOR before submitting my application?

Thank you for your advice/assistance.
I think you should be fine for CSPM. My friend has similar GPAs and a lower Mcat score, but he still received an invite this morning for CSPM.

I would apply right now if I were you, and then send over the LOR once you have it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

If you don't mind me asking, what was your friend's exact score?

My MCAT is in a week or so and I'm afraid that I'm going to bomb it (extreme test anxiety) and won't get in. My sGPA and cGPA are similar to your friend's (both in the ~3.80 range), but my MCAT practice tests fluctuate between the 480s and 490s. What's the lowest score that I could get in with?
My friend scored a 485 on his Mcat, which was lower than each of the 5 practice tests he took. He contemplated retaking the mcat, but he decided to go ahead and apply. So far he has 3 interview invites so far (Barry, CSPM, and Kent).

My friend scored a 485 on his Mcat, which was lower than each of the 5 practice tests he took. He contemplated retaking the mcat, but he decided to go ahead and apply. So far he has 3 interview invites so far (Barry, CSPM, and Kent).

Thanks! Best of luck to him, the risk was worth it.

You just took a lot of anxiety off my shoulders, haha. Anyways, back to studying.

That gives me hope! 2 of the 3 schools are in my list. I've higher GPA than your friend. Please keep updating. Thanks

Last edited:
Random question for this forum: I was looking over the curriculum for some pod schools and it looks like chemistry isn't a huge component (aside from biochem). My science GPA is at a subpar 3.1 because of Chem courses in undergrad; will the adcom take into account of getting A/Bs in upper level science courses say, over C's in orgo in undergrad?

Random question for this forum: I was looking over the curriculum for some pod schools and it looks like chemistry isn't a huge component (aside from biochem). My science GPA is at a subpar 3.1 because of Chem courses in undergrad; will the adcom take into account of getting A/Bs in upper level science courses say, over C's in orgo in undergrad?
3.1 sGPA is fine as long as all of the pre-req courses are C and above.