This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Random question for this forum: I was looking over the curriculum for some pod schools and it looks like chemistry isn't a huge component (aside from biochem). My science GPA is at a subpar 3.1 because of Chem courses in undergrad; will the adcom take into account of getting A/Bs in upper level science courses say, over C's in orgo in undergrad?
That's definitely a positive going your way.

Members don't see this ad.

Non-traditional liberal arts major
sgpa: 3.8
cum: 3.1
A few hundred hours scribing with a podiatrist
A few years working in healthcare
Currently shadowing a podiatrist
Completed a medical mission
Low MCAT but planning to retake
Do you think I have a shot if I apply to all of them? Really leaning towards the west coast schools because they're close to home.
I appreciate any feedback, thank you!
I bet you would have a good chance, even if your Mcat score isn't amazing. But if you can get 500+ you would be great for scholarships

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone!! First time posting on SDN and I am very excited yet nervous at the same time with the application process. I knew I wanted to become a podiatrist ever since I can remember and it is finally beginning. I graduated from undergrad a semester early in Dec 2017. Took the MCAT in June 2018 and got a 493 :)(not my very best but i was busy working to pay off loans and it was hard for me to study) and turned in almost everything for my application (except still writing my personal statement). I have not calculated my science GPA according to the AACPMAS guidelines but I did graduate Magna Cum Laude 3.7 GPA. I think I want to go to AZPOD, but I also want to go to NYCPM because they can start in January and I do not want to waste anymore time not being in school. What are my chances??

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!! First time posting on SDN and I am very excited yet nervous at the same time with the application process. I knew I wanted to become a podiatrist ever since I can remember and it is finally beginning. I graduated from undergrad a semester early in Dec 2017. Took the MCAT in June 2018 and got a 493 :)(not my very best but i was busy working to pay off loans and it was hard for me to study) and turned in almost everything for my application (except still writing my personal statement). I have not calculated my science GPA according to the AACPMAS guidelines but I did graduate Magna Cum Laude 3.7 GPA. I think I want to go to AZPOD, but I also want to go to NYCPM because they can start in January and I do not want to waste anymore time not being in school. What are my chances??
The GPA is great. For sure you'd get into NYCPM.

Arizona also favors high GPA/MCAT so you should be fine.

I bet you would have a good chance, even if your Mcat score isn't amazing. But if you can get 500+ you would be great for scholarships

Thanks for your response! I received an interview for a school recently. I'm thinking about holding off on my top choices until later on. I'm really curious to see when people start getting interview invitations from Western

It’s actually so crazy how math/statistics isn’t counted in the science GPA anymore... lol so what was the point of trying my best in them

Hi everyone! So, I am seeking your guy's wisdom on this (chances of being accepted into podiatric medical school); and below you will find everything you need to know regarding my AACPMAS 2018-2019 application:

Side note: I'll be 20 years old by the time I graduate from undergrad, and I will earn my B.A. in Human Physiology from the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities.

1. Science GPA: 3.29

2. Cumulative/Overall GPA: 3.46

3. Overall MCAT: 505

4. Direct Healthcare Experience:
  • 1.5 years experience as a CNA -- BLS for Healthcare Providers certified
  • 1 year experience as a medical scribe working for physicians in vascular surgery, and family/internal medicine.
  • 6 months experience as a direct care professional
5. Volunteering/Shadowing Experience:
  • Volunteer soccer coach for a U12/U10 co-ed soccer team for 4 years.
  • Camp Counselor at Celebrate ME! Week summer camp for the past 2 years.
  • Clinic Volunteer at Missionvale Medical Center in Missionvale township just outside Port Elizabeth, South Africa, during the month of May in 2017.
  • 24 total hours shadowing two separate podiatrists (the first shadowing experience was only for 4 hours, whereas the most recent one was for 20).
6. Extracurriculars:
  • I was the co-president of the University's LGBTQ+ Alliance from 2016-May 2018.
  • I am currently serving as the public relations director for the University's Undergraduate Physiology Society.
  • I play in an intramural soccer league.
7. Research Experience/Miscellaneous:
  • I am currently in the process of publishing one of the novels that I had started writing when I was a sophomore in high school.
  • I took part in a research-based pre-podiatry internship that lasted a total of six months, and I am currently looking to publish this research.
Thank you so much for your input, everyone! I look forward to hearing from you all! Thank you, thank you, thank you!​

Hi everyone! So, I am seeking your guy's wisdom on this (chances of being accepted into podiatric medical school); and below you will find everything you need to know regarding my AACPMAS 2018-2019 application:

You're fine.

Pick a program you like.

I know you are young. Do not overestimate yourself. There is always more to learn. You will mature a lot in school.

Side note: I'll be 20 years old by the time I graduate from undergrad, and I will earn my B.A. in Human Physiology from the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities.

• 1 year experience as a medical scribe working for physicians in vascular surgery, and family/internal medicine.
  • Clinic Volunteer at Missionvale Medical Center in Missionvale township just outside Port Elizabeth, South Africa, during the month of May in 2017.
  • 24 total hours shadowing two separate podiatrists (the first shadowing experience was only for 4 hours, whereas the most recent one was for 20).
6. Extracurriculars:
  • I was the co-president of the University's LGBTQ+ Alliance from 2016-May 2018.
  • I am currently serving as the public relations director for the University's Undergraduate Physiology Society.
  • I am currently in the process of publishing one of the novels that I had started writing when I was a sophomore in high school.
  • I took part in a research-based pre-podiatry internship that lasted a total of six months, and I am currently looking to publish this research.
Thank you so much for your input, everyone! I look forward to hearing from you all! Thank you, thank you, thank you!​
Why not try UMN MD school?

Why not try UMN MD school?

To be honest, I was straying away from podiatric medical school and toying with the idea of MD/DO school because of my advisor saying that I should look into those schools instead due to my MCAT performance and whatnot. However, my mind is and has been set on podiatry, and this is what I told my advisor, and I've been trying to tailor my last two years of undergrad education to prepare me as best as possible for a career as a podiatric physician. I'm not saying that the UMN medical schools in the Twin Cities and Duluth are bad programs, I'm just saying that they -- along with the innumerous other MD/DO schools -- would not be the best fit for me! Good question, thank you for your response!

You're fine.

Pick a program you like.

I know you are young. Do not overestimate yourself. There is always more to learn. You will mature a lot in school.

OK, thank you for your response! And I appreciate your concern, but believe me when I say that there really has never been a time when I overestimated myself -- for me it's always a battle with that little voice in the back of my mind doubting my abilities and whether I am "good enough" and trying not to underestimate myself; I am very much aware of my being nearly four years younger than the average applicant to podiatric medical school, and I am concerned about how that will fare with the adcoms at my top-choice schools (DMU and Scholl). I realize that I still have sooo much to learn from the world, from the education that has been afforded to me, and from experiences that I have not yet had, but I feel as though my experiences and the adversity I have faced in life thus far have allowed me to mature enough and aided me in making an educated-enough decision about what I want to do for the rest of my life.

Again, thank you for your response, I very much appreciate it!

OK, thank you for your response! And I appreciate your concern, but believe me when I say that there really has never been a time when I overestimated myself -- for me it's always a battle with that little voice in the back of my mind doubting my abilities and whether I am "good enough" and trying not to underestimate myself; I am very much aware of my being nearly four years younger than the average applicant to podiatric medical school, and I am concerned about how that will fare with the adcoms at my top-choice schools (DMU and Scholl). I realize that I still have sooo much to learn from the world, from the education that has been afforded to me, and from experiences that I have not yet had, but I feel as though my experiences and the adversity I have faced in life thus far have allowed me to mature enough and aided me in making an educated-enough decision about what I want to do for the rest of my life.

Again, thank you for your response, I very much appreciate it!

You'll do great.
Plenty of students that are younger than norm and coming straight from undergrad.
Adcoms never had anything against them.

Just work hard.

Members don't see this ad :)

6. Extracurriculars:
You have high chances of being accepted to Scholl or DMU. Your stats are pretty good and seems like you hve good portfolio of necessary experiences.

Your young age wont be a problem, seems like you know what you are doing.

When are you planning to apply?

You'll do great.
Plenty of students that are younger than norm and coming straight from undergrad.
Adcoms never had anything against them.

Just work hard.

Thank you for your advice! I really appreciate it.

You have high chances of being accepted to Scholl or DMU. Your stats are pretty good and seems like you hve good portfolio of necessary experiences.

Your young age wont be a problem, seems like you know what you are doing.

When are you planning to apply?

Okay, that's good to hear, then! Are you currently in either of those programs, DMU or Scholl? And my goal is to improve my sGPA to at least a 3.45 by next spring, and cGPA to 3.50, but that's reassuring to hear you say that those stats are, for the most part, OK for right now. And thank you! I was worried about my age and how they might see that, but I have been trying to bolster my application with other quality experiences and ECs ever since finishing PSEO to try to draw their attention away from how old I am.

I'm currently finished with everything in the AACPMAS app but I'm still waiting on one more LOR from my biochem 2 prof. My apps are ready to submit besides that, but I'm not sure if it would be worth submitting them right now, but then not having the adcoms be able to look at my app until that last LOR comes in, or if I should just wait to submit it after I receive said LOR?

I gave my professor a deadline of October 7th of this year to finish it, but if they do wait until 10/7 to submit the letter, my programs of choice most likely wouldn't receive my completed and verified application until early/mid-November, so I'm not sure if that would be too late?

TL;DR - I'm planning to submit all of my applications by September 4, but those programs that require two LORs from science faculty and one LOR from a DPM (since UMN-TC doesn't have a pre-health committee to write a composite LOR) most likely wouldn't view my app until early-/mid-November since my biochem 2 prof has yet to submit their letter. My apps to Scholl, Kent, and Temple would be ready for the adcoms to view by October if I submit it by 9/4, but all other programs not until November, as previously stated.

Thank you again for your help!

Okay, that's good to hear, then! Are you currently in either of those programs, DMU or Scholl? And my goal is to improve my sGPA to at least a 3.45 by next spring, and cGPA to 3.50, but that's reassuring to hear you say that those stats are, for the most part, OK for right now. And thank you! I was worried about my age and how they might see that, but I have been trying to bolster my application with other quality experiences and ECs ever since finishing PSEO to try to draw their attention away from how old I am.

I'm currently finished with everything in the AACPMAS app but I'm still waiting on one more LOR from my biochem 2 prof. My apps are ready to submit besides that, but I'm not sure if it would be worth submitting them right now, but then not having the adcoms be able to look at my app until that last LOR comes in, or if I should just wait to submit it after I receive said LOR?

I gave my professor a deadline of October 7th of this year to finish it, but if they do wait until 10/7 to submit the letter, my programs of choice most likely wouldn't receive my completed and verified application until early/mid-November, so I'm not sure if that would be too late?

TL;DR - I'm planning to submit all of my applications by September 4, but those programs that require two LORs from science faculty and one LOR from a DPM (since UMN-TC doesn't have a pre-health committee to write a composite LOR) most likely wouldn't view my app until early-/mid-November since my biochem 2 prof has yet to submit their letter. My apps to Scholl, Kent, and Temple would be ready for the adcoms to view by October if I submit it by 9/4, but all other programs not until November, as previously stated.

Thank you again for your help!
You should be fine.

Scholl specifically won't even look at your file until your LORs are in.

The other programs don't care as much. A majority I interviewed at gave an Acceptance pending LORs in as soon as I could.
With those stats you will get in for sure. I would still submit.

Even November is not too late for those programs. Because they are 2 of the bigger programs, you would still have a chance of getting in come February or March if you really wanted to.

Okay, that's good to hear, then! Are you currently in either of those programs, DMU or Scholl?
I am fortunate to be at DMU. Awesome school with long-standing (2nd DO school in the country) and awesome reputation, a lot of resources, very experienced and awesome professors (some have been teaching for over 15-20 years), great Learning Center, probably the best Wellness Center among all 9 schools, great SPALs, Simulation center, and nice anatomy lab and more.

Once I started here, I realized how important it is to have great resources and staff. I cant imagine how hard it is for people that attend newer schools.

2nd years are very connected with first years and offer so much help.

I could keep going.
And my goal is to improve my sGPA to at least a 3.45 by next spring, and cGPA to 3.50, but that's reassuring to hear you say that those stats are, for the most part, OK for right now. And thank you! I was worried about my age and how they might see that, but I have been trying to bolster my application with other quality experiences and ECs ever since finishing PSEO to try to draw their attention away from how old I am.
Your app looks good. GPA is about an average, but your MCAT is definitely a plus.

In terms of LORs, check out individual schools. Some can wait after interview and some need them before they send II.

You will be fine. Even in January-March, you will be ok. No need to rush and be nervous. Relax. Enjoy your school time and work on your app items one at a time. No need to rush. You have plenty of time.

DMU, though, is actively interviewing DOs, DPTs, DPMs on a regular basis already. We see candidates almost every day.

485 and 3 II? Wow.

Was his GPA high? The lowest MCAT person I have personally met got into Kent with a 488.

My friend scored a 485 on his Mcat, which was lower than each of the 5 practice tests he took. He contemplated retaking the mcat, but he decided to go ahead and apply. So far he has 3 interview invites so far (Barry, CSPM, and Kent).

485 and 3 II? Wow.

Was his GPA high? The lowest MCAT person I have personally met got into Kent with a 488.
Yes he had solid GPAs, a 3.74 Cumulative and a 3.6 Science.When he emailed several schools, most of them said that he would be considered competitive.

The rest of his application was impressive besides his low MCAT score.

Yes he had solid GPAs, a 3.74 Cumulative and a 3.6 Science.When he emailed several schools, most of them said that he would be considered competitive.

The rest of his application was impressive besides his low MCAT score.

Interesting.

Hope he figures out how to beat standardized testing.
He's gonna be taking them for a while.

HI there!
Do pod school let you know if you don't get an interview? I sent in my applications on September 3rd and my transcripts were just recieved by AACPMAS.
My GPA is 3.55 with a 3.29 sGPA ( it was higher but I got in a car accident and got a really bad concussion last semester and my GPA went from 3.7 to 3.5)
MY MCAT was 493
I am a division 1 soccer player
Research Assistant at UCSF for 9 months
current volunteer hours/ all requirements for Application completed
What are my chances and when should I hear from the schools?

HI there!
Do pod school let you know if you don't get an interview? I sent in my applications on September 3rd and my transcripts were just recieved by AACPMAS.
My GPA is 3.55 with a 3.29 sGPA ( it was higher but I got in a car accident and got a really bad concussion last semester and my GPA went from 3.7 to 3.5)
MY MCAT was 493

They'll let you know if you do not qualify for an interview. But your scores look good enough for just about most pod schools! Do you know where you want to go?

I want to go to midwestern as my first choice! hoping to hear from them first so I don't spend too much money on plane flights to other schools.

I want to go to midwestern as my first choice! hoping to hear from them first so I don't spend too much money on plane flights to other schools.

493 is on the lower end of Midwestern's MCAT scores from what I've seen, but you have a good GPA. Hopefully you'll get in!

do you have to submit your application in order to get your science gpa and overall gpa calculated?

NonTrad
cGPA: 3.47 sGPA: 3.47 pbGPA: 3.7
MCAT: 494
RNx14yrs.
Experience: CCU, SICU, MICU, LTAC, HD, PICC placement, Pysch, Tele, Management/Supervision...
Applied DMU and Scholl

HI there!
MY MCAT was 493

Hi! Just wanted to let you know that my stats are similar to yours. GPA 3.6 and 3.8 sGPA MCAT 493. I had my application verified Aug 28 on AACPMAS and then Midwestern got my application Sep 4 and sent another email back Sep 6 inviting for an interview. Hope you hear back from them soon! Just be patient :)

Hi! Just wanted to let you know that my stats are similar to yours. GPA 3.6 and 3.8 sGPA MCAT 493. I had my application verified Aug 28 on AACPMAS and then Midwestern got my application Sep 4 and sent another email back Sep 6 inviting for an interview. Hope you hear back from them soon! Just be patient :)
Thanks thats super helpful!

Hi guys! due to issues withy school sending the wrong transcripts, my application got all wacky and the numbers got messed up and it was all a big ass mess with AACPMAS. Anyways, everything finally went through this morning and we're up and running. So a little about myself: nonscience GPA 3.89, science GPA 3.27 ( I was in a car accident and got a C- in Ochem 2 because my teacher wouldn't let me wait to take the final even with a sever concussion), MCAT 493
D1 athlete, research at UCSF, 20 hours podiatry shadow, 200 hours of working in healthcare for US army and airforce on ft. Lewis Mccord base, internship for a feminine wellness company, ~50 community service hours etc
So far temple, kent, NY, and Barry has reached out for interview.
Im really hoping for Midwestern though.

What is your guys experience for Midwestern getting back to you? How long should I be waiting for an email?
Thanks!

What is your guys experience for Midwestern getting back to you? How long should I be waiting for an email?
Thanks!

My transcript was verified on 8/14. They sent an email to me on 8/24 saying that my app was complete and sent me an II on 8/28.

My transcript was verified on 8/14. They sent an email to me on 8/24 saying that my app was complete and sent me an II on 8/28.

Your transcript was verified by Midwestern or your transcript was verified by AACPMAS on 8/14? Jw because I submitted my application (with everything verified by AACPMA) on 9/13/18 and still haven't received any word from them.

Thanks!

I also forgot the login details for my other account, so I made this one!

Your transcript was verified by Midwestern or your transcript was verified by AACPMAS on 8/14? Jw because I submitted my application (with everything verified by AACPMA) on 9/13/18 and still haven't received any word from them.

Thanks!

Verified by AACPMAS. I would give AZPOD another week or two personally; it is still very early in the cycle and they may be conducting interviews for other professional programs too. If you really want to, you can always call their admissions department. They were really helpful!

Hey all, I just got my MCAT score back minutes ago and I'm kind of excited. I was wondering if you guys would be able to tell me chances or which schools I should apply to.

• ~3.86 GPA (around there for both cGPA and sGPA)
  • 490 MCAT (120/124/122/124). I didn't do that well, but I have extreme test anxiety and I thought that I would get around 480. I'm honestly really happy and thankful that I was able to get this.
  • Hundreds of hours of volunteering, probably around 400+ or so (medical, clinical, non-clinical)
  • 5 semesters of research in biology, hundreds of hours total
  • Multiple letters of recommendation
  • About 40 hours of shadowing with an MD, 8 hours with a DPM and will be doing more in the coming months (he's going to help me get around 20). I also have a LOR from this DPM.
That's all I can think of for now, but I'd appreciate any input. Especially from you guys, since you've helped me out so much in the past. @Keatbaby @de Ribas

Thanks so much! :)
Congrats on the MCAT score, you should be good for most of the schools if not all of them. I recommend applying to only the schools that you are seriously considering, your top 4 or 5 maybe. With that high of a GPA you may be offered scholarships too

Also, can you guys give some quick pros and cons of each school? I’ve been reading through all the threads to get an idea so far. What do you guys think?
Temple

Pros
1. Advanced pathologies in Philly
2. Only school to have ambulatory surgical clinic
3. Consistently places grads into high powered residencies (i.e. Penn Presby, Inova, Beth Israel Deaconess, etc)
4. Very high clinic foot traffic (can only be rivaled by NYCPM)
5. Shares trauma cases with ortho (not very common in other places)
Cons
1. Weak to non-existant program in podopediatrics
2. Board pass rates used to be somewhat low (definitely changing since recent systems-based curriculum revamp; c/o ‘22 had 97% on Part I)

I don’t have anything to say about NYCPM because I didn’t apply there.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
I would like to know what are my chances of getting into podiatry school
I have a 497 MCAT 3.65 science and 3.65 overall
I am shadowing a DPN
I previously shadowed a DO.
As for EC's I founded a club in my school that focuses on medically underserved communities, I volunteered at a free clinic for many years . I am currently doing research and have worked as a pharm tech and currently a HUC.

I know I’m not in yet, but you definitely sound above average to me based on all the threads I’ve read so far! Good luck!

Temple

Pros
1. Advanced pathologies in Philly
2. Only school to have ambulatory surgical clinic
3. Consistently places grads into high powered residencies (i.e. Penn Presby, Inova, Beth Israel Deaconess, etc)
4. Very high clinic foot traffic (can only be rivaled by NYCPM)
5. Shares trauma cases with ortho (not very common in other places)
Cons
1. Weak to non-existant program in podopediatrics
2. Board pass rates used to be somewhat low (definitely changing since recent systems-based curriculum revamp; c/o ‘22 had 97% on Part I)

I don’t have anything to say about NYCPM because I didn’t apply there.
I agree completely with @justici and would add that they are very dedicated to improving their program each and every year. My interviewer mentioned that they are aware of their weakness in podopediatrics and are looking for ways to improve in that area. I was blown away by Temple and their clinic. Overall it has been my favorite school that I've interviewed at.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi Guys,
I would like to know what are my chances of getting into podiatry school
I have a 497 MCAT 3.65 science and 3.65 overall
I am shadowing a DPN
I previously shadowed a DO.
As for EC's I founded a club in my school that focuses on medically underserved communities, I volunteered at a free clinic for many years . I am currently doing research and have worked as a pharm tech and currently a HUC.
Very high chances

Hey everyone,

So here are my stats after I got my stupid MCAT score back.

Gpa: 3.85
Pod shadowing
2 semesters research
MCAT: 488 (literally was a 15 point drop my practice tests. Test day I was super sick & I actually took 5 minute power naps during my test lol)
International student in USA.

What are my chances? I really wanna get into nycpm because it’s close to my place, but whatever goes I guess.

What are my chances? I really wanna get into nycpm because it’s close to my place, but whatever goes I guess.

I personally would have voided if I was that sick, but it happens. You have an excellent GPA that may offset your MCAT. There was a guy in this cycle who got into Barry, Samuel Merritt, and an II DMU with a lower MCAT than you, so it is possible. No idea about NYCPM, but you can call them. In my opinion, you have two options: 1) retake your MCAT since it was a fluke to score potentially more scholarship money and IIs from the more selective schools or 2) apply now to a few schools and see what happens. Good luck!

Hey everyone,

So here are my stats after I got my stupid MCAT score back.

Gpa: 3.85
Pod shadowing
2 semesters research
MCAT: 488 (literally was a 15 point drop my practice tests. Test day I was super sick & I actually took 5 minute power naps during my test lol)
International student in USA.

My friend @Lakerlover93 has similar stats to you, but his Mcat was a 485. He has gotten acceptences from Samuel Merritt, Barry (with scholarship), and is waiting to hear from DMU any day now. In other words, there are several schools who will overlook the low mcat if you apply early enough. I agree with @justici that if it was a fluke then you should retake it for scholarship purposes and to build confidence in getting accepted to your top schools. I am not as familiar with NYCPM so I recommend contacting them and seeing if you would be a competitive applicant or not. Good luck!