This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Me again! Should I wait to submit my application when the coursework has been verified and official MCAT has been received? Also, for all of you fine people accepted at AZPOD, how long do you have to officially decide after getting accepted?
As far as I understand, verification process only starts after you pay and click submit.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That's interesting. Maybe there is something in your file or personal statement they like.

Best of luck. If you intend to retake, kick butt. Even a few more points will leave them no room for doubt.

But specifically for CSPM, I received an interview invite at 11pm, and I submitted my primary to them at 9pm. How can they have read through my file in 2 hours at night? Either they have a 24 hour admissions office, or they auto screen for interviews!

Members don't see this ad :)
But specifically for CSPM, I received an interview invite at 11pm, and I submitted my primary to them at 9pm. How can they have read through my file in 2 hours at night? Either they have a 24 hour admissions office, or they auto screen for interviews!
.....why wouldn't they be able to read through your file in 2 hours?
Someone who knows what they are looking for could probably read through it in 1 hour or less.

Reactions: 1 users
..waitlisted at AZPOD :(.
anyone know when they start ranking/interviewing off the waitlist?

So happy to have received an interview invite from AZPOD today! I'm really looking forward to touring the campus and visiting the area. Any suggestions for the interview, transportation, hotels, and places to eat? Sorry if this shouldn't be posted here but I'm thrilled!

So happy to have received an interview invite from AZPOD today! I'm really looking forward to touring the campus and visiting the area. Any suggestions for the interview, transportation, hotels, and places to eat? Sorry if this shouldn't be posted here but I'm thrilled!

Congrats! Arizona is beautiful and I loved my visit there. If you’re into outdoorsy stuff and you have time, I’d definitely suggest hiking Piestewa Mt and/or Camelback! When I interviewed, I stayed at Drury Inn and I highly enjoyed my stay. It’s close to the school (they will shuttle you there and back), they offer free breakfast/brunch and dinner and are very friendly. I had no complaints.

Good luck on your interview. The dean of the program is great and very interactive; he makes you feel comfortable and at ease. The best piece of advice I could give you is just be yourself! Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Airbnb

For anyone that has already interviewed at AZPOD, do you feel that the list of interview questions was up to date on SDN? I read through them but can't tell when they were posted. Also, anything that surprised you during the interview? Are they one on one or with a panel of three?

For anyone that has already interviewed at AZPOD, do you feel that the list of interview questions was up to date on SDN? I read through them but can't tell when they were posted. Also, anything that surprised you during the interview? Are they one on one or with a panel of three?

Questions were adequate and still accurate.

3 people interviewing you.

Chances?

MCAT: 510 sGPA: 3.5
URM (Black)

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
Hospital Volunteer and Trainer (1500 hours, Volunteer experience)

Research experience and productivity:
Breast Cancer research (2 years)
Summer cancer research (3 months) -> Oral Presentation given at research conference
Chemistry research (8 months) -> (Hopefully a travel grant and another presentation)
NIH IRTA program (currently in, gap year job) -> (Guarantee to have at least one national presentation at minimum)
Public health poster

Shadowing experience and specialties represented:
Internal med 100 hours
Uro-onc 10 hours

Non-clinical volunteering:
Mentor for underserved high school students (100 hours)
Soup kitchen (50 hours)

Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc):
Lead tutor (3 years)
Diversity leader (5 months)
Teaching assistant (4 months)
Private tutor (6 months)
Executive board member of honor society (2 years)
President of Commuter club

Relevant honors or awards:
3x Fellowship award
Award of Volunttering
Distinction Award
Teaching Award

Members don't see this ad :)

Your chances are excellent at all nine schools. I recommend shadowing a couple of podiatrists so you can secure an LOR and to be able to answer questions during the interview. You will most likely get IIs to all schools, so just finish the deal with your interviews!

You will most likley get interviews, acceptances, and scholarships at all schools you apply to.

Your stats are fine for MD schools, why not do that and forget DPM, DO, etc. all together?

Your chances are excellent at all nine schools. I recommend shadowing a couple of podiatrists so you can secure an LOR and to be able to answer questions during the interview. You will most likely get IIs to all schools, so just finish the deal with your interviews!

You're fine. Will probably see scholarships.

Make sure this is what you want to do.

Your specialty is locked in from the beginning and there is a limited scope of practice regarding anything that is not foot and ankle.

You will most likley get interviews, acceptances, and scholarships at all schools you apply to.

Your stats are fine for MD schools, why not do that and forget DPM, DO, etc. all together?

Thank you all. I been looking at pod as well and just wanted see if I was competitive. I noticed these schools give out scholarships so i figured I should look at pod too. MDs have a higher ceiling for scholarships. I understand that the upper ceiling for MD is higher than pod but there is no guarantee I will land those competitive residencies. I could do poorly in med school and end up in family med making only high 100k. At that point it would be better to have gone pod.

Last edited:
Thank you all. I been looking at pod as well and just wanted see if I was competitive. I noticed these schools give out scholarships so i figures I should look at pod too. MDs have a higher ceiling for scholarships. I understand that the upper ceiling for MD is higher than pod but there is no guarantee I will land those competitive residencies. I could do poorly in med school and end up in family med making only high 100k. At that point it would be better to have gone pod.

Internal Med docs I know are usually pushing 250k+ with even higher room to grow in private practice with ancillary.

Job opportunity wise you may still see more abundant high offers with an MD.

Work stress wise, anecdotally I've seen happier DPMs.

I could do poorly in med school and end up in family med making only high 100k.
are you trolling or are you misinformed?

First. You could do well and end up in any specialty you want. Even if you end up in FM/IM/Peds or ER as an MD, it is a lot better for many reasons. You could always subspecialize. Being an MD is great for many reasons. Even if you end up in Peds or FM most of them start around 180K and up. Rarely they start around 140-160K. Most likely you will get at least 180-200K.

Try at least 1 cycle of MD before trying DPM - my advise.

Plus the amount of scholarships you get should not drive your decision between MD and DPM.

State MD schools generally have lower tuition cost than most if not all DO schools.

what are my chances?
Overal gpa: 2.8
Science gpa: 2.5
MCAT: 508

hard to say. some or most schools might give you an interview. It depends on other parts of your application and how you will interview.

But that sGPA is too low. I am not sure if most schools have had their range that low.

EDIT: after looking at the handbook, I see that all schools besides DMU and AZPod have accepted someone with 2.5 sGPA or lower.

What is your sGPA for the last 15-20 credits?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
what are my chances?

Maybe you get an invite and possibly an acceptance. That doesn't mean you'll make it past boards I. If you end up getting through school with a 2.5 GPA it will also be hard land a residency.

Good luck!

what are my chances?

sGPA too low.

You will struggle to maintain a 3.0

Is that MCAT tentative or actual score?

School isn't easy.

Take all of your hard science classes you ever struggled with, and multiply them 10x.
Then take them all in a week.

applying with stats of
3.1 cGPA
2.6 sGPA
491 MCAT

any advice? I was hoping for barry

If that MCAT score is real, you might be able to sneak into one of the large schools. Your academic ability will be called into question, be prepared to answer deficits if you get an interview.

Also depends how up or down apps are this year. I would apply, see what happens. Get a pod letter, make sure this is what you wanna do vs finding another career.

what are my chances?

If that MCAT score is real, you might be able to sneak into one of the large schools. Your academic ability will be called into question, be prepared to answer deficits if you get an interview.

Also depends how up or down apps are this year. I would apply, see what happens. Get a pod letter, make sure this is what you wanna do vs finding another career.
MCAT score is real. I had extreme anxiety soph year and got D's in orgo and physics so I retook both and got B's. Also math not being included anymore made my sGPA go down by .2. I have a great resume and recommendation letters from profs and pod but the low science GPA is ruining my life lol

MCAT score is real. I had extreme anxiety soph year and got D's in orgo and physics so I retook both and got B's. Also math not being included anymore made my sGPA go down by .2. I have a great resume and recommendation letters from profs and pod but the low science GPA is ruining my life lol

Here are the most recent incoming class stats for Barry. Your sGPA is in the range of matriculants while your MCAT is literally off the chart. Your interviewers are most likely going to ask for the discrepancies in your grades, so if you can provide an adequate response and nail the rest of your interview, your chances will increase. Your worst case scenario is doing a small post-bacc of upper level science classes and doing well in them to increase your sGPA and prove competency. You got this!

barry incoming stats 2017.jpg

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I’m currently in the interview process and the two schools that I don’t see much comparison between is NYCPM and Barry. I’ve been literally on all the threads (saw one from ‘06) but I would love if someone give me a really nice break down of the two schools (the good, the bad and the ugly). I’m super torn, both schools have some pros and cons but could someone give me updated info. I’d be extremely thankful! Thank you!

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I’m currently in the interview process and the two schools that I don’t see much comparison between is NYCPM and Barry. I’ve been literally on all the threads (saw one from ‘06) but I wouldn’t love if someone give me a really nice break down of the two schools (the good, the bad and the ugly). I’m super torn, both schools have some pros and cons but could someone give me updates info. I’d be extremely thankful! Thank you!
After interviewing at both schools, I liked Barry better. There are many reasons why. Board rates/percentages don't really matter to me too much because all the schools give a great education, so I did not take board pass rates into consideration. All the schools are in the 80s or higher. I liked Barry because it is on an undergrad campus so you are allowed to use all the perks that an undergrad campus provides, such as a full size gym, pools, big libraries, lots of space to study, a really nice cafeteria that serves good cheap food, etc. I also really liked Barry because they had more clinical rotation sites. 3rd year students rotate at 3 different hospital based podiatry clinics, and each clinic provides a different diverse set of patients that you work with. NYCPM 3rd year students have to work in the lower level clinic of the school, however, it is NYC, so diversity is not an issue. I am not sure about NYCPM, but I know Barry provides a lot of peer tutors to 1st year students, especially for anatomy! Another reason why (not really the school) is because it is Miami where the weather is wonderful year round!

Reactions: 3 users
After interviewing at both schools, I liked Barry better. There are many reasons why. Board rates/percentages don't really matter to me too much because all the schools give a great education, so I did not take board pass rates into consideration. All the schools are in the 80s or higher. I liked Barry because it is on an undergrad campus so you are allowed to use all the perks that an undergrad campus provides, such as a full size gym, pools, big libraries, lots of space to study, a really nice cafeteria that serves good cheap food, etc. I also really liked Barry because they had more clinical rotation sites. 3rd year students rotate at 3 different hospital based podiatry clinics, and each clinic provides a different diverse set of patients that you work with. NYCPM 3rd year students have to work in the lower level clinic of the school, however, it is NYC, so diversity is not an issue. I am not sure about NYCPM, but I know Barry provides a lot of peer tutors to 1st year students, especially for anatomy! Another reason why (not really the school) is because it is Miami where the weather is wonderful year round!

Woww, thank you so much! For this information, this was very helpful! I’ll keep this information in mind as I go for my interview soon. Did you get a chance to see the housing situations at Barry? I heard they’re small?

Woww, thank you so much! For this information, this was very helpful! I’ll keep this information in mind as I go for my interview soon. Did you get a chance to see the housing situations at Barry? I heard they’re small?
They did talk about the on campus housing, however Dave Fletcher (person who you talk to most of the time there) did not have much information about it. I personally knew I would not live on campus because I know I can find something cheaper, so I did not ask much about it, but you do get a chance to talk to 1st and 2nd year students at lunch, so I would ask them about it while your there. We did not get to see the housing ourselves.
The biggest reason why I am not considering the campus housing is because if you live on campus, they require you to purchase a meal plan as well, which costs thousands of dollars. I know for a fact I will not be eating 3 square meals a day on campus, so it is basically a waste of money for me.

Hey guys! Long time lurker, but I finally made an account. Just wanted to see what my chances are.
MCAT: 499
science GPA: 3.82
non-science GPA: 3.71 (Calculus hurt that one)
overall GPA: 3.78
Biology major with a chem minor
Licensed emt. Worked in a hospital as a transporter for 8 months. Then worked in the ER for 4 months.
Shadowed various doctors but have about 30 hours shadowing a DPM.
I would love to get into Midwestern but I've heard they favor high GPAs and MCAT scores. I'd like to know if anyone who's interviewed there can give me any insight on how my scores compare. Also I've seen that my shadowing hours seem low compared to others. Do schools want to see a certain amount of hours? Or do they just want us to prove that we know what a DPM does? Thanks!

Hey guys! Long time lurker, but I finally made an account. Just wanted to see what my chances are.
Licensed emt. Worked in a hospital as a transporter for 8 months. Then worked in the ER for 4 months.
I would love to get into Midwestern but I've heard they favor high GPAs and MCAT scores. I'd like to know if anyone who's interviewed there can give me any insight on how my scores compare. Also I've seen that my shadowing hours seem low compared to others. Do schools want to see a certain amount of hours? Or do they just want us to prove that we know what a DPM does? Thanks!
You are in amazing shape for Midwestern. From the acceptance class of 2023 thread, there's been students accepted with a lower MCAT score. Great job.

Finally some positive comments about Barry! I don't know why Barry has such a bad reputation here. Thank you for taking your time to explain this. Really appreciated!!

great chances at any school including Midwestern.

30 hours of DPM shadowing is more than enough; more important if you have something to say about your experiences.

You are in amazing shape for Midwestern. From the acceptance class of 2023 thread, there's been students accepted with a lower MCAT score. Great job.
Thank you so much! I cant wait to hear back. Any idea how long it should take? My app was sent three days ago

great chances at any school including Midwestern.

30 hours of DPM shadowing is more than enough; more important if you have something to say about your experiences.
Thanks! I saw plenty of patients and two surgeries. Do you have any idea how long it might take to hear back from MWU? My applications was sent three days ago.

Thanks! I saw plenty of patients and two surgeries. Do you have any idea how long it might take to hear back from MWU? My applications was sent three days ago.
I am not sure. I have not applied there. I guess within a week after your app gets verified. Was your app complete and verified already?

Any time now.

Heard back within 1 week and it was a reach school for me.

They like high stat applicants like you. Even if MCAT is 499, your GPA more than makes up for it.

Have fun and enjoy the journey.

If you can, I'd like for you to share why you chose podiatry over MD/DO. For prospective readers.

Another pro at Barry is you don't have to go to all classes that you know you can do better just studying at home for. NYCPM requires attendance. Barry's professors record/screenshare the whole lecture online and some students were saying they have recordings from many years so it's a lot of practice when boards come around.

Thank you so much! I cant wait to hear back. Any idea how long it should take? My app was sent three days ago

I applied in August and was invited for interview within 10 days. First available interviews were within 6 weeks. Acceptance was next-day after the interview. It all happens so fast...Good luck!

sGPA of 2.5 and uGPA of 2.55 in chem/biochem double major. Finishing my masters of science with a 3.77. Multiple leadership awards , worked 4 years as a CNA and 3 years as a HHA. Over 100 hours shadowing a podiatrist. Mcat score is a 501. Really hoping to get into NYCPM or Temple. Any advice on what my chances are or what I can do during the spring semester of 2019 to help my chances?

Sent from my SM-T350 using SDN mobile

sGPA of 2.5 and uGPA of 2.55 in chem/biochem double major. Finishing my masters of science with a 3.77. Multiple leadership awards , worked 4 years as a CNA and 3 years as a HHA. Over 100 hours shadowing a podiatrist. Mcat score is a 501. Really hoping to get into NYCPM or Temple. Any advice on what my chances are or what I can do during the spring semester of 2019 to help my chances?

When do you plan to apply?

Im looking to apply before the deadline in June 2019 to get in for the fall 2019. I'm already 25 and feel like I'm way behind.

It seems like your biggest weakness was your undergrad GPA which you've addressed by kicking your Masters program's behind. On paper, you have enough healthcare and podiatry experience to demonstrate that you know what you're getting into. Make sure you identify key experiences to highlight in your personal statement and interview.

You don't mention research or volunteering -- perhaps you could focus on one of those for the first half of 2019.

I don't know if I would wait until June to apply, though. There is more scholarship opportunity for early applicants. Also keep in mind that you'll have to take some time to visit the schools for interviews. A lot of people change their opinions after actually visiting the campuses despite having done extensive online research.

Im looking to apply before the deadline in June 2019 to get in for the fall 2019. I'm already 25 and feel like I'm way behind.

I agree with poddamnit that you should not wait until the end of the cycle. When do you graduate with your masters? If you graduate this December, I would apply right away. I don't think there is anything else you could do that would significantly improve your chances. Having 3.7 in masters and 501 MCAT along with your experiences, I think is good enough unless you wouldn't get accepted.

If you apply early January and start volunteering or doing something else, you could mention that during your interviews. Otherwise dont wait.

What I would do next year before school starts is work to earn some money, travel, enjoy and visit some people you would like to visit like relatives or close friends. Make sure you have enough time to find a place to live and set everything up in case you get accepted.

Do you have any volunteering hours anywhere?

Btw, is your masters heavy in sciences?

I agree with poddamnit that you should not wait until the end of the cycle. When do you graduate with your masters? If you graduate this December, I would apply right away. I don't think there is anything else you could do that would significantly improve your chances. Having 3.7 in masters and 501 MCAT along with your experiences, I think is good enough unless you wouldn't get accepted.

If you apply early January and start volunteering or doing something else, you could mention that during your interviews. Otherwise dont wait.

What I would do next year before school starts is work to earn some money, travel, enjoy and visit some people you would like to visit like relatives or close friends. Make sure you have enough time to find a place to live and set everything up in case you get accepted.

Do you have any volunteering hours anywhere?

Btw, is your masters heavy in sciences?
Thank you guys so much. I will be graduating with a M.S. of Environmental science which is heavy on biology and chemistry. As for research I have over 4 years of research and a masters thesis on a heavy science topic. For volunteering I was president of my student government and put on multiple charities for st Jude, MS walk and numerous other great organizations. I don't want to mention everything but I'd like to show the Programs that I was a student that learned from his mistakes and is dedicated to helping his community