This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would there be any issues for NYCPM with my 491 mcat? Are they more lenient with that since my GPA is higher?
Yes I was previously trying to go into their DO program but I've done a lot of research and feel like I'd be happier with podiatry since I've always wanted to do surgery but also have a good work/home schedule. I'm actually contacting some pods now that I would be able to shadow in my area.

Yeah, I know of a few that got accepted with a 490/3.5 Ugrad GPA there, but acceptance stats changes every year so you won't know for sure until you apply!

Members don't see this ad.

512 MCAT, 3.6 cGPA, zero podiatry shadowing hours. What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad :)
even with zero shadowing?

you'll need to shadow to get a letter of recommendation from a DPM. furthermore, you need to shadow just to do it. why the heck would you want to spend your whole life doing something you haven't even seen? go shadow

but besides that you have good enough stats.

Reactions: 1 users
you'll need to shadow to get a letter of recommendation from a DPM. furthermore, you need to shadow just to do it. why the heck would you want to spend your whole life doing something you haven't even seen? go shadow

but besides that you have good enough stats.
do all pod schools require a letter from a DPM? Are you a current DPM student?

yes, all schools require a DPM letter. If I simply google Temple's application requirements, it explicitly states the requirement of a podiatric physician's letter alongside traditional professors' letters: "An academic letter of evaluation is required from an advisor, premedical advisory committee or two letters from science faculty and a letter from a podiatric physician."

Reactions: 1 user
yes, all schools require a DPM letter. If I simply google Temple's application requirements, it explicitly states the requirement of a podiatric physician's letter alongside traditional professors' letters: "An academic letter of evaluation is required from an advisor, premedical advisory committee or two letters from science faculty and a letter from a podiatric physician."
Thank you! Sorry For all the questions I don't know too much about the application for podiatric school and kinda just getting into it!

Do you think it would be worth it to retake the MCAT though? Or would that be a waste?

if you interview well you will be fine with current stats.
if you really want to retake it then only do it if you're scoring 500+ on practice tests.
a higher score can lead to scholarships $$$

I recently graduated undergrad with B. S. in biochemistry, My gpa is 2.83 and mcat 486 (took in 2018). I started off rough in my undgrad years as a first generation student trying to get used to college... but so far I have a published science paper as one of the coauthors with 2 years of lab experience in a research project. During undergrad I was in student government/ professional fraternity/ and a couple other various clubs. I took a gap year to work in the medical field as an ER tech and emt with both over 1000+ hours so far of experience, as well as 300+ hours shadowing each a DPM/MD/DO physicians. I've been studying to retake the mcat this fall but should I submit an application early to my interested pod schools for fall of next year before my new score? Also should I also be thinking applying to a postbacc program if my gpa is an obstacle as well?
At this point I would first try to improve MCAT to at least 495-498. With your current stats I doubt you will get anywhere.

Hey guys, so I just wanted to get an overall opinion on my chances. I am taking MCAT in 3 days (Aug. 17th) and was planning on sending in my app right when I get my score back September 17th. I have been scoring about ~509-510 on AAMC practice tests so I am anticipating a 505+ on real thing with a very very slim chance I dip below 500. My main goal is Temple, but overall top 3 is Temple/Kent/Rosalind. Here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.44
sGPA: ~3.54
MCAT: expecting 505+
Pod Shadowing: 600+ total hours with 3 different Pods
MD/DO Shadowing: 300+ Hours
Temple Summer Internship Program Summer Attendee 2018
180+ ER volunteering Hours
50+ hours non-healthcare volunteering Hours
Doing Microbiology Research This Fall 2019

Members don't see this ad :)
do all pod schools require a letter from a DPM? Are you a current DPM student?

No. Unless reqs have changed in the past couple years (I don’t think they have), AZPOD doesn’t require LORs or podiatry shadowing hours.

My stats were somewhat similar, and I had zero shadowing hours/dpm LORs... but my extra curriculars were pretty extensive and didn’t warrant a lot of time for that stuff. And I made the case that I was a patient enough times to know about podiatry.

Hey guys, so I just wanted to get an overall opinion on my chances. I am taking MCAT in 3 days (Aug. 17th) and was planning on sending in my app right when I get my score back September 17th. I have been scoring about ~509-510 on AAMC practice tests so I am anticipating a 505+ on real thing with a very very slim chance I dip below 500. My main goal is Temple, but overall top 3 is Temple/Kent/Rosalind. Here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.44
sGPA: ~3.54
MCAT: expecting 505+
Pod Shadowing: 600+ total hours with 3 different Pods
MD/DO Shadowing: 300+ Hours
Temple Summer Internship Program Summer Attendee 2018
180+ ER volunteering Hours
50+ hours non-healthcare volunteering Hours
Doing Microbiology Research This Fall 2019

Great chances for all 3. GL on the exam!

Thank you very much! Just one more question if you have a moment. I want to apply to school in NYC or Temple. Am I ok at these schools or would I be better applying elsewhere? Thanks again

you're fine for NYCPM; i'm not sure about Temple so maybe a current temple student can comment on it

Hey guys!
Currently working on my applications, but figured I'd share my stats to see what others have to say about my chances.

B.S in Biology with minors in Art History and Chemistry
undergrad cGPA: 3.26
undergrad sGPA: 3.19
M.A BS cGPA: 3.39 (strict and fast paced 1 year curriculum, 35 credits and done at DO school partnered with an undergrad institution)
MCAT 495

My undergrad work fairly has an upward trend since my 2nd and 3rd semesters there, I was dealing with my grandmother having cervical cancer and a breast cancer scare with my mom.

I have 4 semesters worth of undergrad research (maybe 700+ hours) with winning Best Undergrad Poster Presentation at a conference which could be brought up in an interview?
~100 hours shadowing/scribing for a podiatrist (currently doing this so will have more)
~55 hours with and MD (pediatric)
~50 hours with an OD
~130 hours volunteering in healthcare setting
lots of non-healthcare volunteer experience
leadership positions in 2 clubs during undergrad

I'm more interested in Temple and NYCPM because they are closer, but might end up applying to all 9 just in case.

Last edited:
Hey guys!
Currently working on my applications, but figured I'd share my stats to see what others have to say about my chances.

M.A BS cGPA: 3.39 (strict and fast paced 1 year curriculum, 35 credits and done at DO school partnered with an undergrad institution)
MCAT 495

My undergrad work fairly has an upward trend since my 2nd and 3rd semesters there, I was dealing with my grandmother having cervical cancer and a breast cancer scare with my mom.

I have 4 semesters worth of undergrad research (maybe 700+ hours) with winning Best Undergrad Poster Presentation at a conference which could be brought up in an interview?
~100 hours shadowing/scribing for a podiatrist (currently doing this so will have more)
~50 hours with an OD

I'm more interested in Temple and NYCPM because they are closer, but might end up applying to all 9 just in case.

You're good for Temple. Good Luck

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys!

MCAT 495

~50 hours with an OD

You're fine for NYCPM as well. I would apply to the top 3 from your list. GL!

Hey everyone! I would like to know what you guys think about my app

cGPA: 3.32
sGPA: 3.30
MCAT: 494 ( B/B and C/P were my best sections and P/S was lowest)
18 hours of shadowing a DPM

I graduated this past spring.

The MCAT score came out 2 weeks ago and I've already signed up for another one 2 weeks from now (which is the last one offered this year). I'm interested in NYCPM January class and going to apply with current MCAT score. I'm retaking just in case that doesn't work out and now wondering if it would be a mistake to take the test again so soon. Do you guys think I should go ahead with a retake or just study and retake in January if I need to? My top choices are NYCPM, Temple, and Scholl

Hey everyone! I would like to know what you guys think about my app

cGPA: 3.32
sGPA: 3.30
MCAT: 494 ( B/B and C/P were my best sections and P/S was lowest)
18 hours of shadowing a DPM

I graduated this past spring.

The MCAT score came out 2 weeks ago and I've already signed up for another one 2 weeks from now (which is the last one offered this year). I'm interested in NYCPM January class and going to apply with current MCAT score. I'm retaking just in case that doesn't work out and now wondering if it would be a mistake to take the test again so soon. Do you guys think I should go ahead with a retake or just study and retake in January if I need to? My top choices are NYCPM, Temple, and Scholl

You should postpone the exam until Jan. You have a shot with current stats at those programs.

Hello everyone! I've been using this forum for some time now but finally got the courage to post. I would love your opinions regarding my chances.

cGPA: 3.44 ( uGPA 3.33 Masters in Health Admin GPA 3.75)
sGPA: 3.41
MCAT: 491

Primary care medical scribe: 1600~ hours
DPM Shadowing: 24 hours
hospital volunteer: 90~ hours

Hello everyone! I've been using this forum for some time now but finally got the courage to post. I would love your opinions regarding my chances.

You never know if you don't try! But in all honesty your stats aren't bad. Yes, your MCAT is weak but I would not let that discourage you from applying. Hopefully you have done extracurriculars and other stuff to fill the application! I really do think if you applied you'd get some interviews! The sooner you apply the better.

Agree with the poster above. GPAs are fine; MCAT might be an issue for a few programs. Applying early will be key!

Hi I’m a little late in the game.
I was wondering if I can ask my chance at these schools:
WesternU
Samuel Merritt
NYCPM
Scholl
Temple

My undergrad GPA: 2.9 with 2.8 sGPA
Postbac and Masters degree in sciences: 3.703
Ended up cGPA being 3.12
MCAT: 492

I’m shadowing a podiatrist currently and am going to ask her for a letter this week.

Tons of leadership and volunteer hours.
Hospital volunteer~650 hours
Student Government
Research and publication
Hospital leadership
Podiatrist shadowing ~20 hours

I’m unsure if explaining my family member death will help any chance, but I am hoping my postbac and masters grades can shine some light.

Hoping to submit the app by the end of this month.

Thank you

Last edited:
Hi I’m a little late in the game.
I was wondering if I can ask my chance at these schools:
WesternU
Samuel Merritt
NYCPM
Scholl
Temple

My undergrad GPA: 2.9 with 2.8 sGPA
Postbac and Masters degree: 3.703
MCAT: 492

I’m shadowing a podiatrist currently and am going to ask her for a letter this week.

Tons of leadership and volunteer hours.
Hospital volunteer~650 hours
Student Government
Research and publication
Hospital leadership
Podiatrist shadowing ~20 hours

I’m unsure if explaining my family member death will help any chance, but I am hoping my postbac and masters grades can shine some light.

Hoping to submit the app by the end of this month.

Thank you

Sorry for your loss. You should include your hardships in your PS.

You may have a shot at NYCPM and Scholl, granted the postbacc and master's degree were in the sciences. If you want to start early then look into the NYCPM Jan program. Good luck!

Sorry for your loss. You should include your hardships in your PS.

You may have a shot at NYCPM and Scholl, granted the postbacc and master's degree were in the sciences. If you want to start early then look into the NYCPM Jan program. Good luck!

Thank you for your kind words. I will make sure to include that in my PS. Glad to hear my chances. Hoping Western and Samuel Merritt to be possible haha;;

Hey everyone. I just received my MCAT score yesterday so I thought I'd post to see what my chances are. My top choice is Scholl, but I am also considering DMU, Midwestern, Kent, & Temple. I transferred from Loyola University Chicago after two years (cGPA 3.5) to Illinois State University to complete a 3 year athletic training bachelors degree (cGPA 3.97). Graduated summa cum laude from ISU. I am currently taking Orgo I & II at a community college. I will also take Biochem next semester even though its not required just recommended. Will applying while I'm taking Orgo I discourage schools from offering an interview? an admissions decision?

cGPA: 3.75
sGPA: 3.3
MCAT: 493 (I know its low but I had to teach myself Orgo and Biochem)
Shadow Hours: 10 (Am shadowing a second DPM next Monday and will hopefully get about 15 with him)

Will getting a LOR from an alumni of Scholl help more?

I'm a certified and licensed Athletic Trainer. I worked full time as the ATC at a high school last year (~1,750 hours as a healthcare provider). Not much volunteer work because the athletic training program required us to spend 20-25 hours a week at our clinical rotations which accumulated to about 1600 hours over 3 years of "volunteer" work with sports teams and the athletic trainers.

Thanks for any advice!

Thank you for your kind words. I will make sure to include that in my PS. Glad to hear my chances. Hoping Western and Samuel Merritt to be possible haha;;

You're fine for both.

Good job on your post-bac if it was a true intensive one. That alone made up for your undergrad.

Apply.

Hey everyone. I just received my MCAT score yesterday so I thought I'd post to see what my chances are. My top choice is Scholl, but I am also considering DMU, Midwestern, Kent, & Temple. I transferred from Loyola University Chicago after two years (cGPA 3.5) to Illinois State University to complete a 3 year athletic training bachelors degree (cGPA 3.97). Graduated summa cum laude from ISU. I am currently taking Orgo I & II at a community college. I will also take Biochem next semester even though its not required just recommended. Will applying while I'm taking Orgo I discourage schools from offering an interview? an admissions decision?

cGPA: 3.75
sGPA: 3.3
MCAT: 493 (I know its low but I had to teach myself Orgo and Biochem)
Shadow Hours: 10 (Am shadowing a second DPM next Monday and will hopefully get about 15 with him)

Will getting a LOR from an alumni of Scholl help more?

I'm a certified and licensed Athletic Trainer. I worked full time as the ATC at a high school last year (~1,750 hours as a healthcare provider). Not much volunteer work because the athletic training program required us to spend 20-25 hours a week at our clinical rotations which accumulated to about 1600 hours over 3 years of "volunteer" work with sports teams and the athletic trainers.

Thanks for any advice!

Organic chem with the lab is a requirement for admissions. So, imo, If you apply while course is in progress, your app will not be complete and won't get an II. You can email a program for a more specific answer.

Other than that, your stats are fine for Scholl. You should be fine even if you apply after finishing the orgo. GL!

Hello all, I am an individual who has been pursuing medicine off and on for what seems like forever, however, I have never gotten as far as to apply to DO medical schools or Podiatry because I performed poorly in my attempts at the MCAT. I recently took the MCAT and got a 504. I wish to apply to DO medical schools in May 2020 and to Podiatry schools in 2021 if I can not get admission in to a DO school. However, I do have perhaps a few things in my academic history that I feel may make it impossible for me to gain admittance in to a DO medical school or Podiatry school. Any input from anybody on my chances for admittance in to a Podiatry school given the following will be tremendously appreciated:

Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, December 2009
Large State School
Overall GPA: 3.86
Science GPA: 3.84
MCAT: 504

EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES

Volunteer at local hospital Same Day Surgery Department - 955 hours
Research Assistant at University Health Center Genetics Lab - 213 hours
Research Assistant for Poeciliine Gonopodium Length and Size Dependence of Mating Strategies Research Project - 1 semester
Research Assistant for Multi-Component Evaluation to Minimize the Spread of Aquatic Invasive Research Project - 2 summers
Research Assistant for The Asian red seaweed Grateloupia turuturu Research Project - 1 summer
Biology Tutor - 1 semester
Member of Premedical Society - 1 year
Volunteer at local Soup Kitchen - 2 years

ACCOLADES/ACHIEVEMENTS
Capital Scholarship winner
Dean's List - 7 occasions
Honor's Note - Economics
New England Scholar - 3 occasions
National Merit Scholar Honor Club Member
Golden Key Honor Club Member
Phi Kappa Phi Honor Club Member
Excellence in Biology Award - 2007

EMPLOYMENT
5/07-present Certified Nursing Assistant

BIG NEGATIVES
Will Be 38 Years Old when/if I apply on May 2, 2020
Old Prerequisites - All of my prerequisite classes were done from 2007-2011
Have not shadowed a Podiatrist - Will try to do this as soon as possible
Have not taken Organic Chemistry Lab - Will try to do this as soon as possible
1st MCAT Attempt (August 2010) - 07X - I foolishly decided to go to a Caribbean medical school because I felt that it would more quickly allow me to achieve my dream of becoming a doctor. The school did not require the MCAT when I applied. They then informed me a few months before I matriculated that they were making the MCAT mandatory and I that I had to take the exam (although my score would have any effect on my acceptance to the school). At this point I had not taken Physics 1 or 2 (since the school did not require it) and had no time to study so I just filled in random answers. I ultimately did not attend this school because I could not get a loan through the private loan company that was linked to the school.
2nd MCAT Attempt (January 2015) - 20 - Despite my best efforts, I did poorly on the exam. I worked very hard, however, I felt that I lacked direction and did not take enough practice exams. I was going to attempt a Caribbean medical school, however, ultimately decided against it. I decided I would attempt the MCAT a third time before moving on to a different career path. My third attempt resulted in a 504 because I utilized a test prep company and tutor that forced me to take a lot more practice exams.

Any input from anyone on whether it is a worthwhile pursuit for me to attempt to apply to Podiatry schools would be greatly appreciated. I wish to apply to every Podiatry school. I do not enjoy wasting money so if applying to Podiatry schools with my history is a futile pursuit, please let me know. Lastly, does anyone know if there are any other schools besides medical and podiatry schools that take utilize the MCAT and the traditional prerequisite classes (Biology, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Physics) as their main matriculation standards?

Hello all, I am an individual who has been pursuing medicine off and on for what seems like forever, however, I have never gotten as far as to apply to DO medical schools or Podiatry because I performed poorly in my attempts at the MCAT. I recently took the MCAT and got a 504. I wish to apply to DO medical schools in May 2020 and to Podiatry schools in 2021 if I can not get admission in to a DO school. However, I do have perhaps a few things in my academic history that I feel may make it impossible for me to gain admittance in to a DO medical school or Podiatry school. Any input from anybody on my chances for admittance in to a Podiatry school given the following will be tremendously appreciated:

Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, December 2009
Large State School
Overall GPA: 3.86
Science GPA: 3.84
MCAT: 504

EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES

Volunteer at local hospital Same Day Surgery Department - 955 hours
Research Assistant at University Health Center Genetics Lab - 213 hours
Research Assistant for Poeciliine Gonopodium Length and Size Dependence of Mating Strategies Research Project - 1 semester
Research Assistant for Multi-Component Evaluation to Minimize the Spread of Aquatic Invasive Research Project - 2 summers
Research Assistant for The Asian red seaweed Grateloupia turuturu Research Project - 1 summer
Biology Tutor - 1 semester
Member of Premedical Society - 1 year
Volunteer at local Soup Kitchen - 2 years

ACCOLADES/ACHIEVEMENTS
Capital Scholarship winner
Dean's List - 7 occasions
Honor's Note - Economics
New England Scholar - 3 occasions
National Merit Scholar Honor Club Member
Golden Key Honor Club Member
Phi Kappa Phi Honor Club Member
Excellence in Biology Award - 2007

EMPLOYMENT
5/07-present Certified Nursing Assistant

BIG NEGATIVES
Will Be 38 Years Old when/if I apply on May 2, 2020
Old Prerequisites - All of my prerequisite classes were done from 2007-2011
Have not shadowed a Podiatrist - Will try to do this as soon as possible
Have not taken Organic Chemistry Lab - Will try to do this as soon as possible
1st MCAT Attempt (August 2010) - 07X - I foolishly decided to go to a Caribbean medical school because I felt that it would more quickly allow me to achieve my dream of becoming a doctor. The school did not require the MCAT when I applied. They then informed me a few months before I matriculated that they were making the MCAT mandatory and I that I had to take the exam (although my score would have any effect on my acceptance to the school). At this point I had not taken Physics 1 or 2 (since the school did not require it) and had no time to study so I just filled in random answers. I ultimately did not attend this school because I could not get a loan through the private loan company that was linked to the school.
2nd MCAT Attempt (January 2015) - 20 - Despite my best efforts, I did poorly on the exam. I worked very hard, however, I felt that I lacked direction and did not take enough practice exams. I was going to attempt a Caribbean medical school, however, ultimately decided against it. I decided I would attempt the MCAT a third time before moving on to a different career path. My third attempt resulted in a 504 because I utilized a test prep company and tutor that forced me to take a lot more practice exams.

Any input from anyone on whether it is a worthwhile pursuit for me to attempt to apply to Podiatry schools would be greatly appreciated. I wish to apply to every Podiatry school. I do not enjoy wasting money so if applying to Podiatry schools with my history is a futile pursuit, please let me know. Lastly, does anyone know if there are any other schools besides medical and podiatry schools that take utilize the MCAT and the traditional prerequisite classes (Biology, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Physics) as their main matriculation standards?

You can re-take the MCAT and try for your State and other low-tier MD schools (depending on the score; 510+ will be golden)
Your current stats are fine for DO schools
Your current stats are fine for Podiatry schools
You can also post in the premed forums to ask MD/DO adcoms about your chances!

Hey everyone! I have recently decided I would like to go into podiatry and am trying to figure out where I stand in terms of applications.

Undergrad: B.S in biology, concentration: molecular biology, minor: biochemistry
cGPA: 3.42
sGPA:3.37
currently doing a Masters in Medical Sciences - but i'm not sure my GPA yet. I think it will be around a 3.0
MCAT: 497

Free Medical Clinic volunteering: 250 hrs
Hospital volunteer: 100 hrs
Vice President Finance and director of merchandise of my sorority
Ronald McDonald House volunteer: 25 hrs
member at: homeless volunteering with (SvDP), Four Diamonds Club, Colleges against Cancer
Research: Genetic testing on endangered animals - snow leopards, bobcats, ect. 300hrs.
lab tech: 300 hrs

I will be working with a podiatrist over Thanksgiving break

I am interested in applying to all the schools. Which ones do I have a chance in/do I have a chance? Is it too late to apply in the early months of next year for the fall class? If I cannot get accepted them an I eligible to apply in the upcoming summer for the following year?

Thanks in advance!

cGPA: 3.42
sGPA:3.37
currently doing a Masters in Medical Sciences - but i'm not sure my GPA yet. I think it will be around a 3.0
MCAT: 497

I am interested in applying to all the schools. Which ones do I have a chance in/do I have a chance? Is it too late to apply in the early months of next year for the fall class? If I cannot get accepted them an I eligible to apply in the upcoming summer for the following year?

Thanks in advance!
1. You have a chance at all of them
2. It is not too late to apply in the early months for Fall, do note some scholarships are on a first come first serve bases. Smaller programs will also have filled most of their seats or be taking a wait list.
3. You are allowed to reapply for the following year if you do not get accepted this year.

1. You have a chance at all of them
2. It is not too late to apply in the early months for Fall, do note some scholarships are on a first come first serve bases. Smaller programs will also have filled most of their seats or be taking a wait list.
3. You are allowed to reapply for the following year if you do not get accepted this year.
Is there anything you think I should do to up my chances?

Is there anything you think I should do to up my chances?
There's a lot of things you can do from your current status, improve mcat score, get more extracurricular hours (volunteering, research, clinical experience), work a job, shadow more podiatrists/physicians. Your current stats are sufficient for most schools, but if you want to improve, then there are a lot of things that can be done.

cGPA: 3.27
sGPA: 3.00
MCAT: 495
Degree: BS in Medical Technology (I also received the certification for it) and a minor in Political Science

I was in honors college for my school, I did 1 year of undergrad research, I was a Peer academic leader (which means I taught a freshman-level class the fall of my Junior year), I have ~100h of podiatry shadowing, ~50h of volunteering at a non-profit medical clinic, and ~50h of orthopedic surgery shadowing. I'm thinking of getting a job as a pharmacy tech since I've had the license since high school but never wanted to really work during undergrad. Oh, and I was also a part of an organization but was not a leader just a member.

I want to apply to all 9 schools to have the best luck, but I'm interested in Kent st, Barry, or CSPM

Also, should I retake some classes I got C's on in freshman year? will that be worth it or are my stats fine?

cGPA: 3.27
sGPA: 3.00
MCAT: 495
Degree: BS in Medical Technology (I also received the certification for it) and a minor in Political Science

I was in honors college for my school, I did 1 year of undergrad research, I was a Peer academic leader (which means I taught a freshman-level class the fall of my Junior year), I have ~100h of podiatry shadowing, ~50h of volunteering at a non-profit medical clinic, and ~50h of orthopedic surgery shadowing. I'm thinking of getting a job as a pharmacy tech since I've had the license since high school but never wanted to really work during undergrad. Oh, and I was also a part of an organization but was not a leader just a member.

I want to apply to all 9 schools to have the best luck, but I'm interested in Kent st, Barry, or CSPM

Also, should I retake some classes I got C's on in freshman year? will that be worth it or are my stats fine?

I think you'll be fine to apply to just those schools with your present stats. Good luck!

Getting in honestly is not that difficult for most applicants. It is staying in and actually passing all your classes, and getting the DPM degree that is more difficult. I applied with a 489 MCAT, 3.2 cumulative/sGPA, and got into all the programs that I applied to. I am now a P1 at Scholl, and I can definitely say, that my MCAT score does NOT correlate to how I am performing at Scholl. The professors are not trying to trick you here. They don't want you to memorize every little detail that won't even matter in real life situations. They just want you to understand the big picture stuff and that is what is mostly tested on. Luckily, if you performed not so good on the MCAT, but still accepted to pod school, you can restart! No more o-chem! O-chem barely matters anymore in pod school (although that was 1 class i did really well on). It is awesome having that clean slate again but everything form now on matters!!

Getting in honestly is not that difficult for most applicants. It is staying in and actually passing all your classes, and getting the DPM degree that is more difficult. I applied with a 489 MCAT, 3.2 cumulative/sGPA, and got into all the programs that I applied to. I am now a P1 at Scholl, and I can definitely say, that my MCAT score does NOT correlate to how I am performing at Scholl. The professors are not trying to trick you here. They don't want you to memorize every little detail that won't even matter in real life situations. They just want you to understand the big picture stuff and that is what is mostly tested on. Luckily, if you performed not so good on the MCAT, but still accepted to pod school, you can restart! No more o-chem! O-chem barely matters anymore in pod school (although that was 1 class i did really well on). It is awesome having that clean slate again but everything form now on matters!!

The scope of MCAT ochem is so narrowed that it really doesn't matter lol. I disagree with the "restart" mentality. With the MCAT, if you f'up you are just out $300 bucks, but with Podiatry school, f'ing up will cost you tens of thousands of dollars.

Do I have any possibility with a cGPA of around 2.6 and a sGPA of 2.45 ? I haven't done MCAT yet.

Do I have any possibility with a cGPA of around 2.6 and a sGPA of 2.45 ? I haven't done MCAT yet.
I do not think so. Without MCAT it is hard to advise anything. But even with 500+ MCAT your stats are on a low side.

Have you graduated? Any post-bacc work?

EDIT: read some previous posts. Looks like you are in the same situation as you were 5 years ago. This summer you posted that you had cGPA 2.92. Why is it 2.6 now? Did it really go down?

I would advise choosing another path. There are plenty of fulfilling careers out there with good pay. If you are really into healthcare, consider nursing. It has so many opportunities.

Last edited:
I do not think so. Without MCAT it is hard to advise anything. But even with 500+ MCAT your stats are on a low side.

Have you graduated? Any post-bacc work?

EDIT: read some previous posts. Looks like you are in the same situation as you were 5 years ago. This summer you posted that you had cGPA 2.92. Why is it 2.6 now? Did it really go down?

I would advise choosing another path. There are plenty of fulfilling careers out there with good pay. If you are really into healthcare, consider nursing. It has so many opportunities.

I miscalculated my GPA back then, I was just looking at the school transcript and wasn't factoring in classes taken at CC, etc. Now I have all my grades in a spreadsheet and factoring in whether they are sGPA or cGPA. I am in my last semester as undergrad.

I miscalculated my GPA back then, I was just looking at the school transcript and wasn't factoring in classes taken at CC, etc. Now I have all my grades in a spreadsheet and factoring in whether they are sGPA or cGPA. I am in my last semester as undergrad.

You won't make it with those GPAs, sadly. Look into other careers. GL!

Hey guys, first post ever on here so please bare with my newbie status.

I had a couple of questions, because I am extremely stressed about my chances of getting into podiatry school.

Before I start, I just want to say that at the beginning of my sophomore year (August 2018) my mother passed away from cancer. As a result, that entire year, my grades suffered. Not that I can use that as an excuse, however, thats just the way things went. I am not sure if this is an appropriate topic to write about in my personal statement, so I was wondering if I could get some feed back on that. Additionally, I took the absolute wrong approach to MCAT studying, and underperformed. I fully plan to RETAKE the MCAT in the spring of 2020.

So I guess my question is this: What are my legitimate chances of being accepted to AT MINIMUM, one pod school?

STATS:

cGPA: 3.14
sGPA: 2.78
MCAT: 488

Supplemental info:
- 3 years as an Army ROTC cadet (not sure how this will weigh/look on applications)
- numerous leadership roles + achievements in ROTC (Again not sure how this will look in the holistic view of things)
- research plus a pending publication
- member of numerous pre-health profession clubs (however not very active in those clubs)
- 80+ hours of shadowing two podiatrist's (the majority of that shadowing time has been with just one)
- letters of recommendation from that podiatrist, plus some of my ROTC cadre (I figure the people who write them aren't very important as long as they are well written and are science faculty members, podiatrists, etc)
- 100+ hours of undocumented volunteering (through ROTC)
- Member of community out reach program (also through ROTC)
- Plan on practicing podiatry in the Army post graduation

My apologies if that was a lot guys, again, just pretty anxious about my chances. If you guys could give me some suggestions and feedback on my chances of gaining acceptance, please let me know. Thank you for taking the time to read this guys and I appreciate any feed back. Take care and good luck!

-AJM

Hey guys, first post ever on here so please bare with my newbie status.

I had a couple of questions, because I am extremely stressed about my chances of getting into podiatry school.

Before I start, I just want to say that at the beginning of my sophomore year (August 2018) my mother passed away from cancer. As a result, that entire year, my grades suffered. Not that I can use that as an excuse, however, thats just the way things went. I am not sure if this is an appropriate topic to write about in my personal statement, so I was wondering if I could get some feed back on that. Additionally, I took the absolute wrong approach to MCAT studying, and underperformed. I fully plan to RETAKE the MCAT in the spring of 2020.

So I guess my question is this: What are my legitimate chances of being accepted to AT MINIMUM, one pod school?

STATS:

cGPA: 3.14
sGPA: 2.78
MCAT: 488

Supplemental info:
- 3 years as an Army ROTC cadet (not sure how this will weigh/look on applications)
- numerous leadership roles + achievements in ROTC (Again not sure how this will look in the holistic view of things)
- research plus a pending publication
- member of numerous pre-health profession clubs (however not very active in those clubs)
- 80+ hours of shadowing two podiatrist's (the majority of that shadowing time has been with just one)
- letters of recommendation from that podiatrist, plus some of my ROTC cadre (I figure the people who write them aren't very important as long as they are well written and are science faculty members, podiatrists, etc)
- 100+ hours of undocumented volunteering (through ROTC)
- Member of community out reach program (also through ROTC)
- Plan on practicing podiatry in the Army post graduation

My apologies if that was a lot guys, again, just pretty anxious about my chances. If you guys could give me some suggestions and feedback on my chances of gaining acceptance, please let me know. Thank you for taking the time to read this guys and I appreciate any feed back. Take care and good luck!

-AJM
Your sGPA is the app killer, retake the MCAT and aim for 500+ to hopefully balance that sGPA out.

Hello everyone!
This is my first time ever writing in a forum, so if you're reading this thank you for taking the time.

I have an important question, I graduated with my associates of science with a 4.0GPA at the age of 16, which were all my basics

Unfortunately when I started my bachelor's in BioMed, I was very young and burnt out, & I did very poorly

STATS:
cGPA: 3.26
sGPA: 3.56
MCAT: will be taking in a few months

QUESTION:
Would Podiatry School look at my other 60+ hours I took to receive a 4.0 GPA in my associates? Or would they only focus on my low gpa bachelor's degree? Also what are my chances with my stats ):

Hello everyone!
This is my first time ever writing in a forum, so if you're reading this thank you for taking the time.

I have an important question, I graduated with my associates of science with a 4.0GPA at the age of 16, which were all my basics

Unfortunately when I started my bachelor's in BioMed, I was very young and burnt out, & I did very poorly

STATS:
cGPA: 3.26
sGPA: 3.56
MCAT: will be taking in a few months

QUESTION:
Would Podiatry School look at my other 60+ hours I took to receive a 4.0 GPA in my associates? Or would they only focus on my low gpa bachelor's degree? Also what are my chances with my stats ):

Are those combined GPAs from your AA and BS degrees? If yes, then you are fine, granted a 495+ on the MCAT.
If not then calculate your combined/overall GPAs and post back.