This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I do not have any options beyond primary care if I go back and get my MD. Probably slightly hyperbolic, but it would be the only thing I would be competitive for. I was in the bottom quartile of my class. When I was in med school, I was advised that just passing (as in get "C"s) would be satisfactory as I was aiming for primary care. It isn't reflective of academic struggle (except for the successfully remediated course). It was just how med school was structured and how we were advised. The grades were reported as F (<70%), P (70-89.99%), H (>90%). We set targets depending on the specialties we were interested in and met them. In the case for FM, peds or IM, it's structured where it's more practical to score in the 70-80% range than try to get Honors (>90%), and your grade was the same whether you got 89% or 70%. As long as you passed, it was acceptable. It's similar to how you try to get at least 90% in every course in undergrad and you get diminishing returns trying to get 100%; scoring 89% does not afford any advantages over scoring 70%.

Honestly, I would gladly do primary care, but reading about the surgical training of pods has me reconsidering whether or not I should go back to get that MD. Of course, withdrawal does affect my chances of readmission because the school prefers fresh college grads, so I was advised to get a master's and reapply. With either path, I would honestly pay about the same for the degree (have to start over if I go back to MD) and median salaries for podiatrists in my state are very comparable to GP salaries in my state, similar costs in terms of missed income during schooling. and program and residency lengths are equal.

I hope that explains that part a little bit. I've been asked about it in other programs I was considering applying to, but once I explained I generally was met with a shrug and we just talked about my undergrad and postbac grades only. I am unsure how they would handle this with AACPMAS GPA calculations, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You will need to have current MCAT score.

I know, but the old MCAT score was to give a ballpark idea of what I would make if I spent 3-4 months studying for it again. I still have a solid grasp of the hard sciences, and the unbalanced portions of my MCAT (social sciences and CARS) can be improved since I never studied for CARS the first time and because there was a lack of quality resources for the social sciences section back when I took it in 2016.

I likely won't apply this cycle, but I do want to get a grasp of chances of admission into a pod program as well as any extra things I need to do in the meantime (in addition to shadowing a podiatrist). I very recently left my program (few weeks ago).

I know, but the old MCAT score was to give a ballpark idea of what I would make if I spent 3-4 months studying for it again. I still have a solid grasp of the hard sciences, and the unbalanced portions of my MCAT (social sciences and CARS) can be improved since I never studied for CARS the first time and because there was a lack of quality resources for the social sciences section back when I took it in 2016.

I likely won't apply this cycle, but I do want to get a grasp of chances of admission into a pod program as well as any extra things I need to do in the meantime (in addition to shadowing a podiatrist). I very recently left my program (few weeks ago).
You left MD school few weeks ago for financial reasons and already fixed them?

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not have any options beyond primary care if I go back and get my MD. Probably slightly hyperbolic, but it would be the only thing I would be competitive for. I was in the bottom quartile of my class. When I was in med school, I was advised that just passing (as in get "C"s) would be satisfactory as I was aiming for primary care. It isn't reflective of academic struggle (except for the successfully remediated course). It was just how med school was structured and how we were advised. The grades were reported as F (<70%), P (70-89.99%), H (>90%). We set targets depending on the specialties we were interested in and met them. In the case for FM, peds or IM, it's structured where it's more practical to score in the 70-80% range than try to get Honors (>90%), and your grade was the same whether you got 89% or 70%. As long as you passed, it was acceptable. It's similar to how you try to get at least 90% in every course in undergrad and you get diminishing returns trying to get 100%; scoring 89% does not afford any advantages over scoring 70%.

Honestly, I would gladly do primary care, but reading about the surgical training of pods has me reconsidering whether or not I should go back to get that MD. Of course, withdrawal does affect my chances of readmission because the school prefers fresh college grads, so I was advised to get a master's and reapply. With either path, I would honestly pay about the same for the degree (have to start over if I go back to MD) and median salaries for podiatrists in my state are very comparable to GP salaries in my state, similar costs in terms of missed income during schooling and program and residency lengths.

I hope that explains that part a little bit. I've been asked about it in other programs I was considering applying to, but once I explained I generally was met with a shrug and we just talked about my undergrad and postbac grades only. I am unsure how they would handle this with AACPMAS GPA calculations, etc.
Why did you withdraw and not take some kind of medical leave or something?

So far, it seems that you are not telling us full story.

Medical leave was not an option. I needed an extended period of time to address financial as well as other things going on with my life.

EDIT: If you would like more specifics, I wouldn't mind discussing in private message, but I do not feel comfortable discussing personal issues related to finances and health on a public forum.

You left MD school few weeks ago for financial reasons and already fixed them?

Good catch. Actually, no, I am not applying this cycle. I just want to get an idea of my chances once I have fully addressed my problems. I apologize for the confusion, but I wanted to see how my stats stacked up (with the assumption I retook the MCAT with a similar score as I made previously as well as the assumption I addressed all of my personal problems adequately). I just want a clear view on whether or not podiatry is a viable option or if that door is simply not open anymore, and if it is a viable option I want to be able to methodically get things in order for a future application.

Last edited:
Medical leave was not an option. I needed an extended period of time to address financial as well as other things going on with my life.

EDIT: If you would like more specifics, I wouldn't mind discussing in private message, but I do not feel comfortable discussing personal issues related to finances and health on a public forum.

Good catch. Actually, no, I am not applying this cycle. I just want to get an idea of my chances once I have fully addressed my problems. I apologize for the confusion, but I wanted to see how my stats stacked up (with the assumption I retook the MCAT with a similar score as I made previously as well as the assumption I addressed all of my personal problems adequately). I just want a clear view on whether or not podiatry is a viable option or if that door is simply not open anymore, and if it is a viable option I want to be able to methodically get things in order for a future application.

I'm sure you know that you will get into a Pod school based on your stats. If you have interest in this field or if this is something you can do...forever...is another question and can only be answered when you shadow DPMs.

If you apply, your acceptance will eventually depend on the reasons for leaving an MD program. I agree with the above that you should email/visit a Pod program (the one you are interested in) and talk to them directly about your chances based on your situation.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
How would my med school transcript factor into GPA calculatons for AACPMAS? I know for AMCAS it didn't use graduate/professional level education to calculate cumulative and sGPA although those transcripts had to be provided of course. Just curious.

How would my med school transcript factor into GPA calculatons for AACPMAS? I know for AMCAS it didn't use graduate/professional level education to calculate cumulative and sGPA although those transcripts had to be provided of course. Just curious.

It would be the same as AMCAS. Undergrad stuff for cumulative and sci GPAs, MD for grad/professional schools (separate).

Hello all hope is well! I was just curious how the COVID-19 pandemic will be effecting the application/interview process? Has anyone heard if schools are still conducting interviews? I am getting ready tosubmit my apps and was curious how Pod schools were handling this. Thanks!

Hello all hope is well! I was just curious how the COVID-19 pandemic will be effecting the application/interview process? Has anyone heard if schools are still conducting interviews? I am getting ready tosubmit my apps and was curious how Pod schools were handling this. Thanks!

Temple will be conducting online video interviews

Scholl is online interviewing as well.

Hello again, I have a few minimal updates and would like some advice.

cGPA: 3.30
sGPA: 2.90
nsGPA:3.82

I do want to point out my last two years have shown somewhat of an upward trend with a 3.52 cGPA, 3.28 sGPA, 4.0 nsGPA.

I do currently have a 4.0 semester in the works, with straight A’s in 4 science courses and 1 non science. This could change of course.

With the MCATs being rescheduled, I don’t have that portion of my application. This is disappointing because I was scoring ~500 3 weeks out.

I also added a couple EC’s since my last post including research.

MY QUESTION: should I apply now, with a subpar sGPA? Or should I wait and (most likely) have my sGPA finally above 3.0 come the end of May?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Last edited:
Hello again, I have a few minimal updates and would like some advice.

cGPA: 3.30
sGPA: 2.90
nsGPA:3.82

I do want to point out my last two years have shown somewhat of an upward trend with a 3.52 cGPA, 3.28 sGPA, 4.0 nsGPA.

I do currently have a 4.0 semester in the works, with straight A’s in 4 science courses and 1 non science. This could change of course.

With the MCATs being rescheduled, I don’t have that portion of my application. This is disappointing because I was scoring ~500 3 weeks out.

I also added a couple EC’s since my last post including research, more wound care center work experience, etc.

MY QUESTION: should I apply now, with a subpar sGPA? Or should I wait and (most likely) have my sGPA finally above 3.0 come the end of May?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Apply with your best stats. A better GPA will increase the scholarship $$$.

Nice job doing well so far, keep at it!

Members don't see this ad :)
*would-be applicant in 1-2 yr*
Gpa 3.4
Sgpa 3.3
MCAT: unknown
Red flags: undergrad spread out over the course of 6 years. Out of college 1.5-2 years with no employment (cannot find a job with useless bio degree and no experience in anything).
Incredibly low involvement in anything in college. No clubs, EC's, leadership experiences etc.
150 volunteer hrs (dental, medical), 0 pod shadowing, 2 mo research.
25 yrs old (will be 26 or 27 when i apply) and feel like im a big baby who's done nothing in their life.
Tons of ws, leaves of absences, and retakes.
Missing or expired on most of my prerequisites so id need to take 1-2 years taking those at local college.

Smart to even consider taking another 1-2 years doing that, being unemployment but cramming all my podiatry EC's & shadowing etc into 1-2 yrs, or just accept job as janitor (whats been recommended to me)? Bio degree prehealth kind of dooms you if you dont do it right.

*would-be applicant in 1-2 yr*
Gpa 3.4
Sgpa 3.3
MCAT: unknown
Red flags: undergrad spread out over the course of 6 years. Out of college 1.5-2 years with no employment (cannot find a job with useless bio degree and no experience in anything).
Incredibly low involvement in anything in college. No clubs, EC's, leadership experiences etc.
150 volunteer hrs (dental, medical), 0 pod shadowing, 2 mo research.
25 yrs old (will be 26 or 27 when i apply) and feel like im a big baby who's done nothing in their life.
Tons of ws, leaves of absences, and retakes.
Missing or expired on most of my prerequisites so id need to take 1-2 years taking those at local college.

Smart to even consider taking another 1-2 years doing that, being unemployment but cramming all my podiatry EC's & shadowing etc into 1-2 yrs, or just accept job as janitor (whats been recommended to me)? Bio degree prehealth kind of dooms you if you dont do it right.

None of this matters right now.

What's your biggest reason for doing this? "This" = healthcare in general.

Let's start from there.

Reactions: 1 user
None of this matters right now.

What's your biggest reason for doing this? "This" = healthcare in general.

Let's start from there.

Only thing ive ever actually seen myself doing/ever genuinely wanted to do. Academically, clinical content is the only thing that's ever truly interested me, and being a healthcare provider is the only contributing function in society I've wanted in the longrun. In part due to growing up in medical family, and also due to having had a plethora of health issues myself--hence the big gaps in undergrad. But clearly I got lost along the way and made it so im not a competitive applicant.

Its also at this point the only thing i can do--with a useless bio degree & not even enough lab experience during it to get a tech job, no experience in anything or internships or part time jobs or networking in college and the outrageous employment gap, ive been declined for every "fresh college grad" job ive applied, and at this point a year+ out so im competing with may 2020 "fresh grads" and i get declined even faster. The few courtesy interviews ive had, when they ask me "tell me about a time you worked with your colleagues to uncover a solution before it impacted an objective"... I'm like "Well, this one time, in organic chemistry...". My parents havent understood why i havent been able to get a real college degree job until i told them those interview questions, to which they responded "How could you answer that if you were thinking you were going to professional school? Many/most of my med school students couldnt answer that. Just tell them you were applying to professional school so youve never done anything". Id prefer to just have the ability to get an unrelated entry level college degree job, have a separate career for some years while i work on retaking my prerequisites, but its become clear to me to even GET one of those fresh college grad jobs id need to go back and do college again and do all the things id have needed to have done if i wanted a job out of college rather than professional school. My heart aches at the idea of pretending im 18, starting college all over, and throwing my first undergrad degree from a great school in the bin plus the past 7 years i THOUGHT i was working towards professional school (even though in reality i was just making myself less and less competitive the whole way through those 7 yrs).

Only thing ive ever actually seen myself doing/ever genuinely wanted to do. Academically, clinical content is the only thing that's ever truly interested me, and being a healthcare provider is the only contributing function in society I've wanted in the longrun. In part due to growing up in medical family, and also due to having had a plethora of health issues myself--hence the big gaps in undergrad. But clearly I got lost along the way and made it so im not a competitive applicant.

Its also at this point the only thing i can do--with a useless bio degree & not even enough lab experience during it to get a tech job, no experience in anything or internships or part time jobs or networking in college and the outrageous employment gap, ive been declined for every "fresh college grad" job ive applied, and at this point a year+ out so im competing with may 2020 "fresh grads" and i get declined even faster. The few courtesy interviews ive had, when they ask me "tell me about a time you worked with your colleagues to uncover a solution before it impacted an objective"... I'm like "Well, this one time, in organic chemistry...". My parents havent understood why i havent been able to get a real college degree job until i told them those interview questions, to which they responded "How could you answer that if you were thinking you were going to professional school? Many/most of my med school students couldnt answer that. Just tell them you were applying to professional school so youve never done anything". Id prefer to just have the ability to get an unrelated entry level college degree job, have a separate career for some years while i work on retaking my prerequisites, but its become clear to me to even GET one of those fresh college grad jobs id need to go back and do college again and do all the things id have needed to have done if i wanted a job out of college rather than professional school. My heart aches at the idea of pretending im 18, starting college all over, and throwing my first undergrad degree from a great school in the bin plus the past 7 years i THOUGHT i was working towards professional school (even though in reality i was just making myself less and less competitive the whole way through those 7 yrs).

A lot to unpack here.

Will get back to you.

1. Doing this profession for the sake of your family will not get you through school. Your health issues, useful as a tool to encourage your passion, will only hold you back from performing at the highest level you can. Forget the family influence. You are not them and will never be. They are not the ones waking up and doing your job. They can say whatever the hell they want- at the end of they day, your life is your responsibility. The decisions you make change that. You have no one to blame but yourself if you choose to follow their advice and come out discontent. Get your health issues under control so you can perform at the highest level. Block out whatever utter s*** advice your family gives you or whatever words they use to beat you down.

2. Swallow your pride and go back to school. You'd need those years to complete your pre-reqs and gain life experience that you were deprived of anyways. There is no bypassing that. Get angry, take a chill pill, and then work your ass off to get what you personally want. Either way you'd need to take those 2 years. Age is a number. There will always be someone smarter, stronger, richer, and younger than you. Once you get over that fact- enjoy the ride and realize how fun it is to see the work you put in actually pay off. Whether it be finding your first entry level job, or passing the pre-reqs that held you back in the past. The first step means swallowing that ego. You're gonna be older and a little wiser. Get over it. There are people who are 30+ just starting med school. You think they like being around hopped-up college grads who've never held a job before?

3. Your parents are another factor. If you live with them and they micromanage every aspect of your life, you will never see yourself become who you want to be. Sooner or later you are going to need to sit them down and tell them "I have a plan and I've prepared well. Here's what I'm going to do. Here's how I'm going to do it. I don't care whether you think its wrong or right. Deal with it." And then go out and do what you said you were going to do. You do not have the time to stay in your comfort zone anymore. If your parents nurture that comfort zone, or prohibit you from taking risks such as getting your first job, living by yourself, pursuing a second degree to get into a professional health school- say good bye to their advice respectfully and move on.

Reactions: 3 users
It's good to know, thanks for your response. I feel much better now.

Chances?

cGPA: 3.26
sGPA: 2.91
MCAT: 488 (1st attempt) jumped to a 498 on the 2nd attempt (actually studied the right way the second time)
- lots of ec's (ROTC, military service, clubs, etc), 100+ hours of podiatry shadowing, research with publication and my name on authors list, good letters of rec

Applying in 2020-2021 cycle for admissions in Fall 2021.

Thank you!

Chances?

cGPA: 3.26
sGPA: 2.91
MCAT: 488 (1st attempt) jumped to a 498 on the 2nd attempt (actually studied the right way the second time)
- lots of ec's (ROTC, military service, clubs, etc), 100+ hours of podiatry shadowing, research with publication and my name on authors list, good letters of rec

Applying in 2020-2021 cycle for admissions in Fall 2021.

Thank you!
You're fine.

Pick top 3 you like and go for it.

Not really related to my chances of getting in, however, just wanted to share the way that I have felt in hopes that it may help others as well.

Recently, as the cycle approaches for me to submit my application to schools (this August), I find myself incredibly anxious. Anxious about getting accepted, interviewing, and the entire process as a whole. Last night it came full circle when I was beginning to lose sleep thinking about these things.

I am probably over reacting, and I understand that I will probably have this feeling throughout my medical career until I have "finally made it".

I just wanted to hear from those who have been through the process, been accepted, and are living it. How did you guys handle pre-application anxiety (if you had it)? What made it better? Worse? What did it feel like once you knew you were accepted?

Sorry, don't mean to vent, just wanted to pose the questions in case others were feeling the same way that I was.

As always thanks for any responses. Stay healthy!

Not really related to my chances of getting in, however, just wanted to share the way that I have felt in hopes that it may help others as well.

Recently, as the cycle approaches for me to submit my application to schools (this August), I find myself incredibly anxious. Anxious about getting accepted, interviewing, and the entire process as a whole. Last night it came full circle when I was beginning to lose sleep thinking about these things.

I am probably over reacting, and I understand that I will probably have this feeling throughout my medical career until I have "finally made it".

I just wanted to hear from those who have been through the process, been accepted, and are living it. How did you guys handle pre-application anxiety (if you had it)? What made it better? Worse? What did it feel like once you knew you were accepted?

Sorry, don't mean to vent, just wanted to pose the questions in case others were feeling the same way that I was.

Everyone feels it. Its stress. Cope with it like you would cope with stress.

1. Verbalize or write down your concerns. Talk yourself through it. Allow yourself time to say "This is normal, its a big moment and it is supposed to be stressful." Often times when you realize the stress or anxiety is supposed to occur, your mind may freak out less realizing that everyone feels the same at one point or another.

2. Work off that negative energy. I remember getting off a plane and finally seeing my then-fiance after an interview at the school I currently attend. I was so strung on the entire process, the area surrounding the school, the airplane ride, the prospect of wondering whether I got in or not that I couldn't sleep even if it was 11pm. Ended up going for a 1hr run and felt a lot better after the shower. If you do not work off that energy built up from anxiety and stress, you will not be able to rest. You need to physically tire out your body and give it a way to relieve tension.

3. At the end of the day, what's done is done and you will end up where you are meant to be. You got this far didn't you? Why worry when 1 year ago you didn't even know if you'd be applying or even getting invites? Take a deep breath and learn to let it go. Some things are completely out of your control, and its ok to relinquish that control.

Imagine 3rd years who are getting their dream clerkships cancelled.
Imagine residents who are stuck dealing with COVID patients.
Imagine newly grad residents who just got their first job offers pulled due to the pandemic.

Out of their control and out of your control. Just ride the wave.

Edit: it doesn't stop after you've "made it". "Oh btw patient so and so thinks you botched up her surgery. She wants to sue you."

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Hi all! Hope you're coping well with this mess of a world right now.
I plan to apply for this upcoming cycle to enter in Fall '21.

cGPA: 3.42
sGPA: 3.02
MCAT: 499
ECs: 100+ hours of shadowing MDs/DOs, *no POD shadowing yet, will happen after COVID calms. Plan to have 50+ hrs*, 100 hrs research, 1000+ paid clinical research in an emergency room, 200+ hrs of volunteering, 100+ hrs of internship at Planned Parenthood.

Everyone feels it. Its stress. Cope with it like you would cope with stress.

1. Verbalize or write down your concerns. Talk yourself through it. Allow yourself time to say "This is normal, its a big moment and it is supposed to be stressful." Often times when you realize the stress or anxiety is supposed to occur, your mind may freak out less realizing that everyone feels the same at one point or another.

2. Work off that negative energy. I remember getting off a plane and finally seeing my then-fiance after an interview at the school I currently attend. I was so strung on the entire process, the area surrounding the school, the airplane ride, the prospect of wondering whether I got in or not that I couldn't sleep even if it was 11pm. Ended up going for a 1hr run and felt a lot better after the shower. If you do not work off that energy built up from anxiety and stress, you will not be able to rest. You need to physically tire out your body and give it a way to relieve tension.

3. At the end of the day, what's done is done and you will end up where you are meant to be. You got this far didn't you? Why worry when 1 year ago you didn't even know if you'd be applying or even getting invites? Take a deep breath and learn to let it go. Some things are completely out of your control, and its ok to relinquish that control.

Imagine 3rd years who are getting their dream clerkships cancelled.
Imagine residents who are stuck dealing with COVID patients.
Imagine newly grad residents who just got their first job offers pulled due to the pandemic.

Out of their control and out of your control. Just ride the wave.

Edit: it doesn't stop after you've "made it". "Oh btw patient so and so thinks you botched up her surgery. She wants to sue you."
WOW. Thank you for the great response and taking the time to reply, I appreciate it very much. I suppose loving the process is just as important as the end goal. Thank you again, hopefully you've been able to help others feeling the same way that I do!

Hi all! Hope you're coping well with this mess of a world right now.
I plan to apply for this upcoming cycle to enter in Fall '21.

cGPA: 3.42
sGPA: 3.02
MCAT: 499
ECs: 100+ hours of shadowing MDs/DOs, *no POD shadowing yet, will happen after COVID calms. Plan to have 50+ hrs*, 100 hrs research, 1000+ paid clinical research in an emergency room, 200+ hrs of volunteering, 100+ hrs of internship at Planned Parenthood.

looking good; apply early!

Hi There! I'll be applying this cycle as well and it's just been stressful AF thinking about it. But every step of the way has been stressful as well. I'm open to chatting throughout this upcoming cycle if you want

Hi There! I'll be applying this cycle as well and it's just been stressful AF thinking about it. But every step of the way has been stressful as well. I'm open to chatting throughout this upcoming cycle if you want
Absolutely! Glad that I am not the only one feeling the same way. PM if you would like!

WOW. Thank you for the great response and taking the time to reply, I appreciate it very much. I suppose loving the process is just as important as the end goal. Thank you again, hopefully you've been able to help others feeling the same way that I do!

No prob.

Was not expecting this many reactions.

Hope it helps.

Hi I would be applying this fall. Lmk what you guys think.
spa: 3.07
Cum: 3.15
MCAT: anticipated between 500-505( taking it in 2 months)
EC: ~50 hours of research experience at an Ivy League, 60+ hours volunteering, 100+ hours shadowing Family Medicine, 300+ Total clinical hours, Worked as a MA for a podiatrist for over 2 years, leadership position in my fraternity, founding member of a club, ambassador for a national nonprofit.

Hi all, just wanted to see if anyone was going to be starting a thread in the near future about acceptance stats of those into the class of 2025. I will gladly make one, but I'm not one of the big cats around these parts so I wanted to check in with y'all first. Take care!

Hi! Is there a place on the AACPMAS application where you can explain changes in grades. I had a bad freshman year due to family and financial issues and I have a strong upward trend but it would be a relief to explain my situation at the time. Also sorry for posting this question here but I figured someone else would have it too and I couldn't find anything on the 2019-2020 application thread.

Hi! Is there a place on the AACPMAS application where you can explain changes in grades. I had a bad freshman year due to family and financial issues and I have a strong upward trend but it would be a relief to explain my situation at the time. Also sorry for posting this question here but I figured someone else would have it too and I couldn't find anything on the 2019-2020 application thread.
You can talk about it in your personal statement.

cGPA: 3.16 (freshman year:2.5 due to family reasons—> 3.4 or higher every other semester)
sgpa: 2.99 (not including dual enrollment credits from cc for anatomy and physiology)
Mcat: took it today :( avg Fl: 502-504 but idk how I did today. Assuming the worst so let’s say 490.
bunch of clinical experience in Podiatry and in family medicine.A lot volunteering and some research.
What do you guys think? My heart is set on temple but idk how I feel about the mcat bc I had to leave one question unanswered on CARS due to a glitch and the exam ending early. It made me have this gut wrenching feeling for the rest of the exam.

cGPA: 3.16 (freshman year:2.5 due to family reasons—> 3.4 or higher every other semester)
sgpa: 2.99 (not including dual enrollment credits from cc for anatomy and physiology)
Mcat: took it today :( avg Fl: 502-504 but idk how I did today. Assuming the worst so let’s say 490.
bunch of clinical experience in Podiatry and in family medicine.A lot volunteering and some research.
What do you guys think? My heart is set on temple but idk how I feel about the mcat bc I had to leave one question unanswered on CARS due to a glitch and the exam ending early. It made me have this gut wrenching feeling for the rest of the exam.

It's great to have an upward trend. Your chance will heavily depend on the MCAT (esp if TUSPM is your top choice).
Around 500 should be good for most programs. Let us know once the score is out.

All I'm thinking about rn is worst case scenarios. Would you retake a 490? 492? I'm not sure where I should draw the line. I'm praying im close to my full lengths but ive read horror stories about people doing significantly worse.

There is no point worrying about it now; deal with it once the score is released; enjoy the time off.

Hi! This is my first time posting on SDN... but I am hoping for some advice!
cGPA: 3.73
sGPA: 3.66
Mcat: I took it today... my practice test was 491, and I don't feel like I did much better on the real thing vs the practice :(
ECs:
- 250 hours as a health scholar in a clinical setting
- 40+ hours of hospital volunteering
- 48 hours shadowing MD
- 4 hours shadowing DPM (COVID prevented me from getting more)
- 1 year undergraduate research
- 2 years as a biochemistry lab associate studying recombinant proteins for immunological diseases at a biotech company (current job)
- Tons of student leadership during college (freshman orientation leader, resident advisor)
- international service project to serve underserved populations overseas
- 200+ hours as children's ministry leader at church
LOR:
- one from a science professor who I have a close relationship with
- one from a current DPM who has close ties with WesternU (western is my first choice)

I would be feeling much more confident if my MCAT score wasn't so low! I definitely neglected studying more than I thought due to
working 40-50 hours a week. Thought I could handle it, definitely didn't.

I'd like to apply as soon as August comes around, but now I am thinking I should wait and retake the MCAT?
advice on wether I should submit my application come August with current stats, or study for a month, retake my MCAT, and apply sometime in September or early October (assuming I study harder and get a better score)? Thankfully the turn around time to receive the MCAT score is only 2 weeks right now due to COVID.

That MCAT exam is so discouraging! But I am willing to work/study harder!
Any advice is appreciated!
Thank you!

Mcat: I took it today... my practice test was 491, and I don't feel like I did much better on the real thing vs the practice :(
ECs:
- 48 hours shadowing MD
- 2 years as a biochemistry lab associate studying recombinant proteins for immunological diseases at a biotech company (current job)
- Tons of student leadership during college (freshman orientation leader, resident advisor)
LOR:
- one from a current DPM who has close ties with WesternU (western is my first choice)

I would be feeling much more confident if my MCAT score wasn't so low! I definitely neglected studying more than I thought due to

I'd like to apply as soon as August comes around, but now I am thinking I should wait and retake the MCAT?
advice on wether I should submit my application come August with current stats, or study for a month, retake my MCAT, and apply sometime in September or early October (assuming I study harder and get a better score)? Thankfully the turn around time to receive the MCAT score is only 2 weeks right now due to COVID.

Thank you!

Why did you only take one practice test? If you are intent on applying podiatry, then you would need to have gotten at least a 495. Otherwise, good shape. If you can work on your MCAT, and get at least a 505, you would be in good shape for applying DO or even MD.

ECs:
- 48 hours shadowing MD
LOR:

Thank you!
Even with 491 MCAT, you would have a good chance of getting in somewhere. I would recommend you absolutely keep studying to get that score as high as you can to unlock scholarship money. There's plenty of time to submit the application. Submitting application early won't increase your chances.