This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I accidentally listed the poster presentation for my years of research as a separate entry since that was what was done last year and I was looking at last years handbook. Do you think there will be any repercussions for that? Should I call and ask if I can fix it? I already submitted my application.

Members don't see this ad.

I accidentally listed the poster presentation for my years of research as a separate entry since that was what was done last year and I was looking at last years handbook. Do you think there will be any repercussions for that? Should I call and ask if I can fix it? I already submitted my application.
it’s not something you can change after submission so don’t fret

Last edited:
do you think we be able to apply to University of Houston md this year?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a guide/advice thread on how to write the descriptions for the activities section?
Here's what I told someone who asked me that question:

You have to use at least a some of the words saying your role, but the rest you can use to add color and things you gained.
The first 50 characters will appear to the reader of your app, but they will be able to click and read your entire description. Don't word every single activity the same. Get to the point.

1." While decorating cookies at the Keebler factory, I learned there are standards and guidelines, especially for cleanliness and efficiency. In a cookie factory there is not much room for artistic expression" would be better than "I sprinkled colored sugar on raw cookies. I cleaned the cookie machines. I punched a time clock"
2. "After leaving Keebler Cookies to work at The Cake Boss, I found freedom of expression in cake design, but with the added factor of working not for factory inspectors, but for some very exacting customers". (You might want to say "for Bridezillas" but resist the temptation)
Choose your 3 "most meaningful" of your list to expand more. This 3 most meaningful have to be from the activities you already listed, you can't sneak in some extra ones

Personal Biography: Publication Question
If my lab has submitted research with me as a co-author, but only submitted, not published nor accepted yet, cause of the timing, is this worth including as a planned activity or research activity, or will it more likely reflect poorly since there is no guarantee of acceptance?

EDIT: Found the answer. It's in the new handbook page 33. It says include accepted and submitted publications. Hope this is helpful to some of y'all as well!

Last edited:
Does anyone know the typical time needed for letters of rec to be processed and distributed to schools at this point in the cycle? I submitted my letters through Interfolio.

Does anyone know the typical time needed for letters of rec to be processed and distributed to schools at this point in the cycle? I submitted my letters through Interfolio.

I can't speak for this exact point in the cycle but it's still pretty early so could be similar to mine? I submitted mine May 1st and they weren't marked received until May 9th. This was pretty on par with their est. processing time of 7-10 days.

In terms of distribution to schools, when I got my secondary portals the schools marked the LORs received on May 9th as well.

I can't speak for this exact point in the cycle but it's still pretty early so could be similar to mine? I submitted mine May 1st and they weren't marked received until May 9th. This was pretty on par with their est. processing time of 7-10 days.

In terms of distribution to schools, when I got my secondary portals the schools marked the LORs received on May 9th as well.

Thanks for that info! I'm at 11 days now (granted today was a holiday), so I was just curious because LORs are the main thing I'm waiting on to be marked as received at this point

Regarding the Prescribed Coursework Record that TMDSAS gives you after your coursework is verified, how big of a deal is it to have prerequisite classes missing even though they've been completed? Example: My freshman year was at a nationally-accredited university (not regionally) so Gen Chem I & II, Calculus I & II, and Composition don't show up on this PCR document. Will medical schools know that I've completed these prereqs? How big of a deal is this? (currently freaking out)

Regarding the Prescribed Coursework Record that TMDSAS gives you after your coursework is verified, how big of a deal is it to have prerequisite classes missing even though they've been completed? Example: My freshman year was at a nationally-accredited university (not regionally) so Gen Chem I & II, Calculus I & II, and Composition don't show up on this PCR document. Will medical schools know that I've completed these prereqs? How big of a deal is this? (currently freaking out)
Did you also send the transcript from your freshman year school and list it in the schools attended section? You can’t just use the fact that the courses appeared as transfer courses to your second university.

Did you also send the transcript from your freshman year school and list it in the schools attended section? You can’t just use the fact that the courses appeared as transfer courses to your second university.
It is being sent (requested a few days ago). Yes, I listed it in the schools attended section. I understand that transcripts are required from each university, but I'm more concerned with the fact that 16 credit hours of prerequisite courses might not actually "count" because they were from a nationally-accredited school instead of a regionally-accredited one.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is being sent (requested a few days ago). Yes, I listed it in the schools attended section. I understand that transcripts are required from each university, but I'm more concerned with the fact that 16 credit hours of prerequisite courses might not actually "count" because they were from a nationally-accredited school instead of a regionally-accredited one.
Send a message via the internal messaging function of the TMDSAS app and ask about it. Be sure that you have listed school 1, and which terms you took courses at school 1, and not listed those as "extra freshman year" courses at school 2 or as transfer credits only.

Are there any examples of the two 2500 character TMDSAS essays floating around on the internet for reference aside from the Shenmassian ones? There's an abundance of personal statement examples and advice, but there's not nearly as many suggestions for the additional two essays and even fewer examples (I've only been able to find one of each from Shenmassian).

Also, is there any information on whether these two essays are equally weighted with the personal statement or given any less consideration (especially because one is "optional")?

Last edited:
Being half asian, does it matter if I mark myself down as both asian and white? I always just choose white when it specifies that I can simply choose one. Figured ORM is meh to deal with so... let me know what y'all think!
I say choose both, it's all good :)

Hi all.

So I sent in my 2 transcripts early May (like May 3rd) to TMDSAS, AMCAS, and AACOMAS. AMCAS and AACOMAS received both transcripts, but TMDSAS only received one and the other says "not recieved". I contacted my university and they said that TMDSAS received it but that is not indicated on my TMDSAS app. Should I contact TMDSAS to see why they have that transcript as not received?

Hi all.

So I sent in my 2 transcripts early May (like May 3rd) to TMDSAS, AMCAS, and AACOMAS. AMCAS and AACOMAS received both transcripts, but TMDSAS only received one and the other says "not recieved". I contacted my university and they said that TMDSAS received it but that is not indicated on my TMDSAS app. Should I contact TMDSAS to see why they have that transcript as not received?

I'm in the same boat. Submitted transcripts early-mid May to both TMDSAS and AMCAS. AMCAS has marked received, TMDSAS has not received anything yet. I'm also waiting on LOR, submitted through interfolio. It's probably because TMDSAS isn't automated and requires a person to check each individual transcript/LOR received.

I'm going to contact them tomorrow just to make sure, but I'm willing to bet it's because they're backed up.

For the Planned Activities section, is it ok to copy/paste the descriptions for continued activities? Sorry if this has been asked before!

I'm in the same boat. Submitted transcripts early-mid May to both TMDSAS and AMCAS. AMCAS has marked received, TMDSAS has not received anything yet. I'm also waiting on LOR, submitted through interfolio. It's probably because TMDSAS isn't automated and requires a person to check each individual transcript/LOR received.

I'm going to contact them tomorrow just to make sure, but I'm willing to bet it's because they're backed up.
Enrique Jasso Jr from TMDSAS just posted this on the "TMDSAS Hub" Facebook group. Any Texas applicants can join that group, it has some good stuff on it like notifications of new podcasts and quick access to TMDSAS admins for questions.

He says,
"Why does supporting docs processing take so long?!"
We've been getting a lot of anxious calls these past few weeks about your supporting documents not being processed even though they were sent in 2 days ago.
It takes up to 3 weeks for supporting documents to be processed from the time they arrive at TMDSAS, even if they are submitted electronically. Documents have to be opened, scanned, saved, quality checked to make sure they're legible, and uploaded into your application. Consider how many transcripts, letters, and scores your application needs, and multiply that times all the applicants. That's a lot of docs. Every time we take a call or answer an email, we can't process supporting docs or applications.
If you're very concerned, submit your docs via parcel services like UPS or FedEx so you know when the document arrives.
Don't forget, applications will be processed and transmitted without supporting docs so this won't delay your application getting to the schools. Transcripts won't even be looked at beyond processing until validation begins after the October 15 supporting documents deadline. The "apply early" message refers only to you hitting "Submit."

So, Mid-May? only 2 weeks. Inhale, Exhale.

Hey guys! How risky is it to submit to TMDSAS without a MCAT score. I took the MCAT on May 23rd. I won't get my score back until June 25th. That means I might not be verified until August 1st worst case scenario. My transcripts have been sent, my essays are done, my LOR have been sent. My app is just sitting and waiting. I do not know what to expect with my MCAT score. It could go either way, honestly. Do I submit now for verification and hope for the best? I feel like I am damned if I do and damned if I don't. Is it really that bad to be a re-applicant if I just submit the primary and decide to pull my app? Honestly, I was planning on applying no matter what unless my score is catastrophic. They're going to see my MCAT score regardless...

It's best to think of the graphs worded this way: (and I substituted NEWER DATA for the graphs that you linked.)

IN THE EY2018 CYCLE, THESE ARE THE MONTHS IN WHICH APPLICANTS SUBMITTED THEIR APPLICATIONS:
View attachment 262174

HOWEVER< and this is very important, because applying to med school is NOT like applying to college, when you could hit that submit button at 11:30 PM on the day of the deadline and still be just fine...

read this graph to say,
"Of all application invitations, 30% went to those who submitted their app in May, 42% to those who submitted in June" etc.
See those guys (30%) who submitted in August & September? They only got 11% of the interviews.
View attachment 262175

Sorry the graphs are so big but I wanted you to be able to see them.

Take-home lesson:
1. Submit as early as you can, while still doing a quality job on your application.
2. Realize that timeliness and organization are qualities sought for in doctors, and if your application is a hot mess AND late, you are doing yourself a disservice.
3. Why doesn't submitting even earlier get me more chance at an interview?
A. You can't submit until you have your spring semester grades, so few can submit in early May.
B. Early May submissions might have lots of errors (don't rush your work).
C. Early May submissions might include some who just came out of an unsuccessful app cycle from the year before, and essentially turned in the same app with few improvements. This is not recommended.

As far as your second questions, I don't venture into meta-analysis, but I can say that these statistics are for TMDSAS applicants and do not include Texas applications to OOS med schools.

Is this when they were SUBMITTED or when they were verified. If you submit end of June, you wouldn't be verified until close to August, correct?

S
Also, If I had a job in highschool and college I list the start date in HS correct? I know I only put the hours I had during college but am wondering about the start date
Start date no earlier than summer after HS graduation, for your activities section.
In answer to your previous question about the Dr. you interviewed after shadowing, you might be able to mention it in the description or expand on that in a most meaningful activity, but I don’t think you should post the YouTube link.

When is the first round of processing? Have I already missed it? Also, I was wondering if there is any difference between submitting today (Saturday) and monday
There is no such thing as “rounds”, apps are processed as they come in.
Do your proofreading over the weekend and submit Monday :)

There is no such thing as “rounds”, apps are processed as they come in.
Do your proofreading over the weekend and submit Monday :)

Hi! So I just want to confirm one more time! Since I don't have a MCAT score, you would suggest applying to 1 school to get verified while I wait? Then, apply to the rest by emailing TMDSAS and updating my app once I get my score back? I will be a re-applicant no matter what if my MCAT score is bad, but this prevents my essays and overall app from being seen by ALL of the schools. Worst case scenario, will being a re applicant hurt me if the reason was solely because of my MCAT score? I'm talking like I did terribly, when in reality I have no idea. Just want to be prepared!

Hi! So I just want to confirm one more time! Since I don't have a MCAT score, you would suggest applying to 1 school to get verified while I wait? Then, apply to the rest by emailing TMDSAS and updating my app once I get my score back? I will be a re-applicant no matter what if my MCAT score is bad, but this prevents my essays and overall app from being seen by ALL of the schools. Worst case scenario, will being a re applicant hurt me if the reason was solely because of my MCAT score? I'm talking like I did terribly, when in reality I have no idea. Just want to be prepared!
I know you are concerned about this, so to be sure not to steer you wrong, I have inquired to TMDSAS and will update this when I hear back from them. I know doing this is a more common practice with AMCAS app.

Update with answer:
TMDSAS Admin Answer: Yes! You can submit and then add schools at a later time. All we need is an internal message when you decide what other schools to apply to.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I need to change a letter of rec writer. Is it ok for me to send it in at the same time I send the internal message with updated info? Or do I need the writer to be visibly updated on TMDSAS before sending?

I need to change a letter of rec writer. Is it ok for me to send it in at the same time I send the internal message with updated info? Or do I need the writer to be visibly updated on TMDSAS before sending?
@chelseatn ,You can do it via internal messaging. Is one of the writers you formerly listed not going to be able to send it? Are you adding a new one? You already submitted your app and got verification of some of your letters, according to one of your earlier posts.

Last edited:
Several questions, if that's okay:

1) Can I use non-complete sentences for the activities section if they're written in paragraph form and not as a list of bullet points?

2) My advisor told me to just describe and not reflect for TMDSAS since space is so limited, but I've heard of others try to fit in at least a short reflection into theirs. Are there any suggestions for this?

3) My employment section is looking pretty empty since I put my paid research under research and I'm not sure what to do with a non-paid internship I did at a nonprofit that I received a living stipend for through my university. Right now, I have it under community service, which makes 3 activities total for that category. Even though I wasn't technically "paid" through wages, should I move my internship under employment?

4) One of my most important experiences involves helping with speech therapy for stroke/brain trauma survivors. I don't consider it clinical, but my advisor believes it straddles the boundary between clinical and non-clinical service since neither of my other two most important experiences are clinical and it was the turning point that made me seriously pursue pre-med. Would I be presumptuous to classify is as clinical because I perceive that it looks bad if there's not a clinical experience in my top 3 most important?

5) I just noticed that the handbook suggests I choose evaluators that can speak to my academic abilities in science, but I'm going with the committee packet instead + one additional letter, and I already had a physician who closely mentored me for the past two years but never taught me send in his individual letter. On top of that, his letter most likely talks about my aptitude in the humanities, which is a prominent topic of discussion throughout my application, and he knows me much better than any of my STEM writers. Should I still try to replace his letter with a STEM professor's?

6) Reiterating a past question that was left unanswered in case someone has information they're allowed to disclose for this: are the two 2500-character essays for TMDSAS weighted equally with the personal statement or less? I barely see any examples online for them and minimal guidance as well on what to write about.

Last edited:
Several questions, if that's okay:

1) Can I use non-complete sentences for the activities section if they're written in paragraph form and not as a list of bullet points?

2) My advisor told me to just describe and not reflect for TMDSAS since space is so limited, but I've heard of others try to fit in at least a short reflection into theirs. Are there any suggestions for this?

3) My employment section is looking pretty empty since I put my paid research under research and I'm not sure what to do with a non-paid internship I did at a nonprofit that I received a living stipend for through my university. Right now, I have it under community service, which makes 3 activities total for that category. Even though I wasn't technically "paid" through wages, should I move my internship under employment?

4) One of my most important experiences involves helping with speech therapy for stroke/brain trauma survivors. I don't consider it clinical, but my advisor believes it straddles the boundary between clinical and non-clinical service since neither of my other two most important experiences are clinical and it was the turning point that made me seriously pursue pre-med. Would I be presumptuous to classify is as clinical because I perceive that it looks bad if there's not a clinical experience in my top 3 most important?

5) I just noticed that the handbook suggests I choose evaluators that can speak to my academic abilities in science, but I'm going with the committee packet instead + one additional letter, and I already had a physician who closely mentored me for the past two years but never taught me send in his individual letter. On top of that, his letter most likely talks about my aptitude in the humanities, which is a prominent topic of discussion throughout my application, and he knows me much better than any of my STEM writers. Should I still try to replace his letter with a STEM professor's?

6) Reiterating a past question that was left unanswered in case someone has information they're allowed to disclose for this: are the two 2500-character essays for TMDSAS weighted equally with the personal statement or less? I barely see any examples online for them and minimal guidance as well on what to write about.

1. Yes
2. 300 characters might allow you a little commentary and make your description less dry
3. Not everyone has been employed during college, so it isn't vital to have something in each category.
Read the activity descriptions in the handbook again, as it categorizes community service under non-health care related.
4. That activity seems to fit best in Health Care Activities (pg 34 of handbook) and if you didn't talk about it in your "why medicine" essay you can talk about it in your 3 most significant activities essay. Or bring out different points if you talk about it twice.
5. Letters from those who know you better are better, but I don't know how your school's committee letter works. Some committees make a synopsis of several professor letters as their healthcare committee letter. Check your med school sites to see what they require in terms of science professor letters.
6. I don't think there's an answer for this ! How you use the chance to paint a picture of yourself as a prospective doctor is very individual.

1. Yes
2. 300 characters might allow you a little commentary and make your description less dry
3. Not everyone has been employed during college, so it isn't vital to have something in each category.
Read the activity descriptions in the handbook again, as it categorizes community service under non-health care related.
4. That activity seems to fit best in Health Care Activities (pg 34 of handbook) and if you didn't talk about it in your "why medicine" essay you can talk about it in your 3 most significant activities essay. Or bring out different points if you talk about it twice.
5. Letters from those who know you better are better, but I don't know how your school's committee letter works. Some committees make a synopsis of several professor letters as their healthcare committee letter. Check your med school sites to see what they require in terms of science professor letters.
6. I don't think there's an answer for this ! How you use the chance to paint a picture of yourself as a prospective doctor is very individual.

Thanks so much!

TMDSAS doesn't let you select the degree to which you speak a language. I work in a bilingual Spanish speaking clinic and the majority of my patients speak Spanish. I am able to translate their entire visit, but I do not practice speaking enough to be comfortable saying I'm fluent... My bilingual boss thinks I should put I am fluent, but I am not sure if I really count. Any thoughts? Also, my high school ranked when I was a senior but does not rank anymore. Do I ned to provide rank?

ETA: also, I see a place for academic scholarships... Where do I put athletic scholarships?

Also: For future activities can you just copy and paste the same description if it wouldn't change moving forward?

Last edited:
Just submitted and I was wondering when I should expect secondaries to be popping up.

Secondaries should pop up after your application is transmitted. I received all of my secondaries the day after I was transmitted-- except UTH, which I got five days later. I think A&M you can complete without an email invite though.

Is there a preferred way for the 3 most meaningful experiences to be indicated while saving character count? Or could I simply preface each description with (activity name) and go directly into why it's meaningful? Perhaps I'm overthinking, but do complete sentences matter for the "most meaningful" section? I'm fairly long-winded in general, so honestly any advice I can get on minimizing character count helps.

Secondaries should pop up after your application is transmitted. I received all of my secondaries the day after I was transmitted-- except UTH, which I got five days later. I think A&M you can complete without an email invite though.
Did you apply to RGV also? And did you get some sort of confirmation email from Long SOM or Galveston that they received your app?

Did you apply to RGV also? And did you get some sort of confirmation email from Long SOM or Galveston that they received your app?

I applied to all! I didn’t get confirmations from either of those schools but I’ve been looking at past SDN posts and people dont get confirmations until July it seems like?

When are applications transmitted? Im assuming it takes a while to finish processing

I submitted May 23 and was transmitted May 24. Can’t speak for how long it will take now but you’re still kinda early I think? Secondaries are all posted on SDN for this year so you can write them anyways

TMDSAS site says "coming soon" so I think it's not quite ready yet.
Hi! Did you happen to see my question about languages spoken? I work for a bilingual clinic and am proficient at translation. I pretty much understand the entire patient visit and can converse if necessary, although it makes me self-conscious because I don't practice often enough. AMCAS lets you put the degree you speak another language, but TMDSAS appears to be all or nothing. Should I say that I don't speak another language, even though my job is translating from Spanish to English?

Hi! Did you happen to see my question about languages spoken? I work for a bilingual clinic and am proficient at translation. I pretty much understand the entire patient visit and can converse if necessary, although it makes me self-conscious because I don't practice often enough. AMCAS lets you put the degree you speak another language, but TMDSAS appears to be all or nothing. Should I say that I don't speak another language, even though my job is translating from Spanish to English?
List Spanish as a language you speak

Does a course count as repeated if it is done at a different university? I took Intro to Psychology as a refresher during my post bacc which was at a different university from my undergrad

Does a course count as repeated if it is done at a different university? I took Intro to Psychology as a refresher during my post bacc which was at a different university from my undergrad
Refer to pages 27 and 28 of the handbook. There are complicated instructions about marking them "was this the last time the course was taken?"

On AMCAS you would mark both times you took the course as a "repeat".

Ayones transcripts still not received????
TMDSAS says it takes up to 3 weeks for the transcripts to be logged in, and that this does NOT delay the verification of your application at all.
They will start processing as soon as you submit. The deadline for receiving supporting docs like letters, transcripts is October 15.
So as long as you have word that your college has sent it, don't worry that it will delay your app. If it doesn't show up on your TMDSAS portal after 3 weeks, then you can message them & ask.

If I take a pre-req after graduating (physics 2), would i mark my classification as a senior or graduate?

Also, why is submitting primaries early "so important" for interviews if the secondaries come after and interviews dont go out till after seconadaries are read?

If i submit within the next week or so, prewrite secondaries, and basically have them turned in the same time someone who submitted in mid May submits it, would I be in the same boat as them?

Status
Not open for further replies.