This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I put clinical research under healthcare activities or research? Could I put it under both since it says to list ALL healthcare activities?

If you were involved in direct patient care, list it under both. If not, list it only under research.

Write the “Research” entry from the perspective of research. Include any posters, publications, or presentations. Include what you were researching and how you did it.

Write the “Medical” entry from the perspective of patient experience. How was your experience with the patients? Did you learn anything medically related?

Members don't see this ad.

How should I enter activities for the summer that I haven't started yet? I am hoping to submit my application by the end of this week, but I am currently applied for multiple volunteering and medical scribe positions. I would like to include them in my current activities, but I am worried that I will not get accepted and will not be able to remove them from my application.

How should I enter activities for the summer that I haven't started yet? I am hoping to submit my application by the end of this week, but I am currently applied for multiple volunteering and medical scribe positions. I would like to include them in my current activities, but I am worried that I will not get accepted and will not be able to remove them from my application.
i was in same place. i put it under "planned activites" and in the description i made it clear i had not yet been accepted but i had interviewed/applied

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I put clinical research under healthcare activities or research? Could I put it under both since it says to list ALL healthcare activities?

If that's you in your profile pictures, I'd recommend changing it to something else to protect your privacy

This is probably silly but.... TMDSAS status is "submitted" and I've received/completed secondaries. Does this also mean my primary has been "verified"? Not wanted to mix up TMDSAS/AMCAS terms; hoping to know what the final note should be on my TMDSAS status page. TIA!

This is probably silly but.... TMDSAS status is "submitted" and I've received/completed secondaries. Does this also mean my primary has been "verified"? Not wanted to mix up TMDSAS/AMCAS terms; hoping to know what the final note should be on my TMDSAS status page. TIA!
Watch your email for a message that your TMDSAS application has been “Transmitted” to the schools. This will be your confirmation that the information has been checked and verified. AFTER getting this message, you have 7 days to appeal or discuss with TMDSAS any determinations they have made regarding your coursework or Texas residency status. Refer to the handbook page xiii to see how you would communicate with them if needed.

All 3 of my LORs were submitted via Interfolio. The other two were delivered within 10 business days, as suggested on the TMDSAS handbook, but the last LOR was delivered 5/28 and has still not been marked received.

I sent a message through the application service and was directed to a Google form, which I submitted 6/13 with no response, so I called TMDSAS. The representative states, "You've done all you can at this point, so just wait. There is no need to keep contacting us about the same issue." I've also contacted Interfolio, and no issues have been discovered on their end.

By Tuesday, I'll have waited 1 month for the LOR to be delivered. In case anyone is curious, UTSW, Texas A&M, McGovern, and Paul L. Foster all wait for LORs to be complete before reviewing your applications - I called.

Is anyone else in the same boat? Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed at this point? Is the wait normal? Is TMDSAS typically this slow with uploading LORs from Interfolio?

Reactions: 1 user
All 3 of my LORs were submitted via Interfolio. The other two were delivered within 10 business days, as suggested on the TMDSAS handbook, but the last LOR was delivered 5/28 and has still not been marked received.

I sent a message through the application service and was directed to a Google form, which I submitted 6/13 with no response, so I called TMDSAS. The representative states, "You've done all you can at this point, so just wait. There is no need to keep contacting us about the same issue." I've also contacted Interfolio, and no issues have been discovered on their end.

By Tuesday, I'll have waited 1 month for the LOR to be delivered. In case anyone is curious, UTSW, Texas A&M, McGovern, and Paul L. Foster all wait for LORs to be complete before reviewing your applications - I called.

Is anyone else in the same boat? Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed at this point? Is the wait normal? Is TMDSAS typically this slow with uploading LORs from Interfolio?
Maybe try resending

most schools don't start looking through apps till mid july anyways i believe so if you send asap then you might be able to just get it in

Maybe try resending

most schools don't start looking through apps till mid july anyways i believe so if you send asap then you might be able to just get it in

Interfolio delivered again 5 days ago, and I'm going to try to have them overnight a physical letter straight to the TMDSAS address.

I'm just frustrated because my application was complete ages ago except for this one letter, which I submitted in May, and by July, the application may or may not be considered late for some schools. But I've done my due diligence, and the responsibility is in the hands of TMDSAS. I'm annoyed that I've gotten no answer from TMDSAS except for "just wait," because "just wait" could mean wait another month. If I just keep waiting, there's potential the letter won't make it into received until August, September, who knows...

Thank you for your advice!! I really appreciate it :)

Submitted LOR May 31st - the waiting is killing me - I am paranoid now

Any updates on the LOR?

Someone told me they submitted their committee letter packet 6/10/19 and was received 6/11/19. I'm so frustrated and FREAKING OUT.

Any updates on the LOR?

Someone told me they submitted their committee letter packet 6/10/19 and was received 6/11/19. I'm so frustrated and FREAKING OUT.
i had 3 i sent on 5/29 and they were all marked received 6/19 so same boat as you

i sent my 4th one just today (6/22) so i'm a little worried when it will reach

i had 3 i sent on 5/29 and they were all marked received 6/19 so same boat as you

i sent my 4th one just today (6/22) so i'm a little worried when it will reach

I think I'll ask Interfolio to overnight the letter early Monday morning, and then call once I know TMDSAS has received the letter (overnight comes with tracker!), because at that point, it'll have been 1 month since the initial delivery 5/28. The person I spoke to last time on 6/13 was pretty pissed about me calling for the letter. Do you think I'll be overstepping boundaries if I call again?

At this point, I'd predict 3 weeks from 6/22 for receipt, but maybe you'll be luckier than I've been.

Sorry in advance for the rant but does anyone know why interfolio letters are taking so long? I’m in a similar boat and starting to get really frustrated, particularly because I paid for interfolio to make this process easier. I understand they have a huge number of applicants but to me that doesn’t excuse taking 3 weeks to verify a letter that has already been quality checked. Thoughts, suggestions?

PLEASE RANT. I'm frustrated too!!

I'm more pissed off at the TMDSAS rep who said, "Just wait and don't call again," as if this was an UberEats delivery and not our freaking CAREER and FUTURE that we've worked 4+ years towards.

Members don't see this ad :)
Feel this on such a deep level! TMDSAS rep was rude to me and it made me so angry. I feel like an “I’m sorry that this is taking so long, but I assure you we are doing our best. Here are steps you can take to ensure this all works out.” would have gone a loooong way. I understand that they probably get 1000 neurotic phone calls a day, but applying to medical school is a grueling and time/money intensive process and the reps can be a little bit nicer about something out of control that may negatively affect our application. I work full time and have sacrificed a lot to make this happen, as I know so MANY other people have too. It would be nice if they could recognize that this is a valid thing to be concerned about.

I'm willing to bet you and I got the same TMDSAS rep, and I plan on filing a complaint once all of this over in an attempt to ensure future applicants don't get the same kind of disrespect.

Another TMDSAS employee on the Facebook TMDSAS Hub recently posted an infographic asking that applicants wait until after 10 days to contact TMDSAS. BISS I WAITED 3 WEEKS AND STILL GOT DISRESPECT.

I work with physicians, and everyone has given me the same answer - that the response I was given is absolutely unacceptable. Our application will be delayed at 50% of the TX schools because of an error on TMDSAS part, and we will still be held responsible. If July hits and our application is still incomplete because of a letter we submitted a month ago, TMDSAS will actually be interfering with our odds at medical schools.

Reactions: 1 users
The TMDSAS Application Handbook says to not leave unaccounted any period of time greater than three months since graduating from high school.

If I graduated from college in May 2016 and did not do anything significant until the following May 2017 because I was applying for jobs and waiting for a position to open up, how and where would I account for this time? Would I do it under the section that asks, "Explain any interruptions to your vocation or education"? If it helps at all, I was specifically applying for a scribe positions. I was offered a position as early as October 2016, but I did not take it then because I wanted to work closer to home. I have been working as a scribe since May 2017.

Also, despite having been out of school since 2016, I do not consider myself a "true" non-traditional applicant if only because I still expressed an interest in and continued working in the medical field since graduating. Would medical schools be likely to question not classifying myself as a non-traditional application in this case? To avoid any ambiguity, I am currently 24 years old if that helps.

The TMDSAS Application Handbook says to not leave unaccounted any period of time greater than three months since graduating from high school.

If I graduated from college in May 2016 and did not do anything significant until the following May 2017 because I was applying for jobs and waiting for a position to open up, how and where would I account for this time? Would I do it under the section that asks, "Explain any interruptions to your vocation or education"? If it helps at all, I was specifically applying for a scribe positions. I was offered a position as early as October 2016, but I did not take it then because I wanted to work closer to home. I have been working as a scribe since May 2017.

Also, despite having been out of school since 2016, I do not consider myself a "true" non-traditional applicant if only because I still expressed an interest in and continued working in the medical field since graduating. Would medical schools be likely to question not classifying myself as a non-traditional application in this case? To avoid any ambiguity, I am currently 24 years old if that helps.

I'm not sure about the unaccounted period of time part, but I THINK the application will actually catch the 1 year length of time with no significant activity as an error in application.

I'd say you're a non-traditional applicant because of the extensive gap years. I think "non-traditional" is defined by a) change in career or b) life experience earned prior to application for medical school... so I'd say anything more than 1 gap year might define you as non-traditional. At least that's what I assumed :p But I think the question is actually asking you if YOU feel like you're non-traditional, so if you don't feel like you are, you can call yourself traditional!

Hi all, my TMDSAS application has been complete besides the "planned activities" section for a month now. I have been holding off on submitting it because you cannot change this section afterward, and I do not have much of a plan yet. I took some time off after graduating two months ago, and now have been job hunting, but I have no idea what I am going to get a job doing since I have applied to such a variety. Can I submit the application with this blank? Or would it be best to wait until I have a job setup? I do not want to submit my application too late, but I also do not want it to seem like I am doing nothing for the next year. Please help!!

Hi all, my TMDSAS application has been complete besides the "planned activities" section for a month now. I have been holding off on submitting it because you cannot change this section afterward, and I do not have much of a plan yet. I took some time off after graduating two months ago, and now have been job hunting, but I have no idea what I am going to get a job doing since I have applied to such a variety. Can I submit the application with this blank? Or would it be best to wait until I have a job setup? I do not want to submit my application too late, but I also do not want it to seem like I am doing nothing for the next year. Please help!!
You can just list job search as an activity and be sure to keep some volunteer things going - something you can do weekends perhaps? Don’t delay submitting because of this :)

I agree!

I wouldn't delay submission of application for this cause. A few secondaries ask for updates, and you can always update schools as you progress in your job hunt!

Hi I was wondering what’s generally considered “early” and “on time” for submitting secondaries? I know a lot of people say August for the AMCAS but I wasn’t sure about TMDSAS since it’s a completely different timeline.

Hi I was wondering what’s generally considered “early” and “on time” for submitting secondaries? I know a lot of people say August for the AMCAS but I wasn’t sure about TMDSAS since it’s a completely different timeline.
Work on those secondaries thoughtfully one at a time. Expressing yourself on these is as important as on the primary, though it doesn't "feel" like that because the essays are shorter. The schools ask more questions relevant to their particular mission or desired student body here.
So, don't write "whatever" to fill in the blank, but round out the picture of yourself you have created on your primary.
If you are like most Texans who apply to all the Texas schools, you will soon see that a single person won't fit the mission of all of them because some have a rural service mission and some more urban/research.
Be honest.
It doesn't mean you can't apply to the ones which don't fit you perfectly, but that you might be left out of some interview invitations. I know students who have been invited to interviews at all of the schools, and some who were not invited to any "rural primary care mission" schools, probably due to the things they stressed in their secondary essays.

Do all the ones that are available with no screens, and then when you are invited to complete the others, get them back within about 2 weeks. Dell & UTRGV have a video component to their secondary, with Dell's being a live spontaneous video response to questions, and UTRGV's being a YouTube video you upload and thus can edit/redo until you are happy with it.

The earlier interview invitations begin in July and can continue through December.

Reactions: 2 users
How much time should I give TMDSAS to respond to a message before calling? I asked them to add the rest of the Texas schools to my app yesterday but haven't heard back. Anxious to get my app transmitted to the schools, but also don't want to be a pain since I know they are insanely busy!

How much time should I give TMDSAS to respond to a message before calling? I asked them to add the rest of the Texas schools to my app yesterday but haven't heard back. Anxious to get my app transmitted to the schools, but also don't want to be a pain since I know they are insanely busy!
Did you add the schools via the internal messaging system? Give it till the end of next week, but if your app is complete and has successfully transmitted to one school already you should see verification of transmission to your other schools before then.

Did you add the schools via the internal messaging system? Give it till the end of next week, but if your app is complete and has successfully transmitted to one school already you should see verification of transmission to your other schools before then.

yep, I messaged them via internal messaging system. Previously they would get back to me the same day. My app is completed and has already been transmitted to one school!

How long does it usually take to hear from school about secondary app after primary application submission? Thanks

How long does it usually take to hear from school about secondary app after primary application submission? Thanks

Most of them will send you an email once your application has been transmitted.
UTMB and Long SOM don't have secondaries. The rest do.

UT RGV and Dell screen. The rest are sent to everyone

You can go to the school specific threads and start on pre-writing the secondaries since they're already posted

For A&M, you specifically have to create an account to receive the secondary.
Texas A&M University College of Medicine
Applicants must create an account in our Application Processing Portal to receive the Secondary Application.

When a secondary asks if you have experience with primary care and they list family medicine, internal medicine, OBGYN etc... does shadowing an Internal Medicine Hospitalist count? I spent almost 100 hours with one

Also, when TAMU asks for Critical Reading and Math score for SAT is that Verbal and Math without writing? I took the SAT 11 years ago....

Last edited:
Sorry in advance for the rant but does anyone know why interfolio letters are taking so long? I’m in a similar boat and starting to get really frustrated, particularly because I paid for interfolio to make this process easier. I understand they have a huge number of applicants but to me that doesn’t excuse taking 3 weeks to verify a letter that has already been quality checked. Thoughts, suggestions?
my first letters took 3 weeks but i sent one in on 6/22 and it was verified today so the turnaround time seems to be getting faster

Work on those secondaries thoughtfully one at a time. Expressing yourself on these is as important as on the primary, though it doesn't "feel" like that because the essays are shorter. The schools ask more questions relevant to their particular mission or desired student body here.
So, don't write "whatever" to fill in the blank, but round out the picture of yourself you have created on your primary.
If you are like most Texans who apply to all the Texas schools, you will soon see that a single person won't fit the mission of all of them because some have a rural service mission and some more urban/research.
Be honest.
It doesn't mean you can't apply to the ones which don't fit you perfectly, but that you might be left out of some interview invitations. I know students who have been invited to interviews at all of the schools, and some who were not invited to any "rural primary care mission" schools, probably due to the things they stressed in their secondary essays.

Do all the ones that are available with no screens, and then when you are invited to complete the others, get them back within about 2 weeks. Dell & UTRGV have a video component to their secondary, with Dell's being a live spontaneous video response to questions, and UTRGV's being a YouTube video you upload and thus can edit/redo until you are happy with it.

The earlier interview invitations begin in July and can continue through December.

Thank you!

Am I in a good place if I submit all my Texas secondaries tonight? I've tried searching when exactly "late" is for TMDSAS and can't find a definitive answer.

Hello, I have few questions about courses and GPA calculation.

1) Do you know if courses categorized as "other science" count toward your science GPA?
2) I took a dual enrollment math course at my undergrad during my high school senior year. I listed it as "pre-freshman" course on TMDSAS. Would this still count as my undergrad total or science GPA?

Also, how do you ask them a question? Can I ask using their twitter account?

Hello, I have few questions about courses and GPA calculation.

1) Do you know if courses categorized as "other science" count toward your science GPA?
2) I took a dual enrollment math course at my undergrad during my high school senior year. I listed it as "pre-freshman" course on TMDSAS. Would this still count as my undergrad total or science GPA?

Also, how do you ask them a question? Can I ask using their twitter account?

1. It will be counted in your sGPA.
2. Yes, it will still count in both your UG GPA and your UG BCPM GPA. I believe that this is done because dual credit classes knock out a lot of prereqs from your bachelor's degree so it's a part of your UG GPA. It sucks, but it is what it is.

If the only classes you've taken are dual credit and from your 4-year institution (so no graduate classes), you'll get 3 separate GPA calculations
Overall GPA = Undergrad GPA
Overall BCPM GPA = Undergrad BCPM GPA
Undergrad Non-BCPM GPA

You can send them a question through the TMDSAS portal. There is a button in the top right hand corner: "Send Message to TMDSAS - Unread Messages (0)"

You may also find this helpful TMDSAS Course Listings

How long does it take for TMDSAS to process the application? It's been two weeks for me, just want to make sure it's normal.

How long does it take for TMDSAS to process the application? It's been two weeks for me, just want to make sure it's normal.
Follow @tmdsassupport on twitter for the daily update. Today they are processing apps submitted on June 23. Big volume right now !

Word it so that the reader can tell what it is, before they click to read the complete text. So by that I mean jump right in to your important words.
"Guided 12 boy scouts on a 12 mile hike" rather than "As an eagle scout, I was involved...."
Vary your wording. Don't have every entry start out with the same few words.
Carry on!

1)For the first 50 characters that adcoms read, if the short description in the beginning actually happens to be less than 50 characters, is that OK? After that short description in the beginning, a new sentence will start but this will obviously be cut off since TMDSAS only allows first 50 characters for adcoms to see.

For example, if I did research, and I wrote "I worked as a lab technician under Dr. A. I performed PCR, Westernblot etc.", obviously the second sentence will be cut off and it wouldn't end at the first sentence which was my intension. Would this look unprofessional?

Sorry if my question is hard to understand.

2) If I had publications for research, how do I fit both activity description and publication in 300 characters? I wanted to include the citation for the pub so that adcoms can look it up on pubmed. Any ideas?

3) For the current activities, I have to make all of them end by October 2019 for "end month/year"? I can't put December 2019 for my end date right? Even if it is a hobby/leisure activity that is still ongoing?

I would appreciate your help!!

Last edited:
1)For the first 50 characters that adcoms read, if the short description in the beginning actually happens to be less than 50 characters, is that OK? After that short description in the beginning, a new sentence will start but this will obviously be cut off since TMDSAS only allows first 50 characters for adcoms to see.

For example, if I did research, and I wrote "I worked as a lab technician under Dr. A. I performed PCR, Westernblot etc.", obviously the second sentence will be cut off and it wouldn't end at the first sentence which was my intension. Would this look unprofessional?

It's not necessary to truncate it so it fits under 50 characters, but you can if you want to do it. It's not going to hurt/help imo. Adcoms can go and directly read the full description anyways. But as wsydoc said, you can try to summarize the experience into 50 characters or less so adcoms have a better idea of the activity before they read the full description.
Remember the chronology of events can only be done once, so do it after you've inputted all your activities.

2) If I had publications for research, how do I fit both activity description and publication in 300 characters? I wanted to include the citation for the pub so that adcoms can look it up on pubmed. Any ideas?

You can list the topic in your description and at the end include the PMID#
Obviously including the whole citation is not a luxury you have since there's a 300 character limit. You can also make the activity name something like "Research and Publication" so that they know you have a publication.
Also pg 33 of the application handbook says

3) For the current activities, I have to make all of them end by October 2019 for "end month/year"? I can't put December 2019 for my end date right? Even if it is a hobby/leisure activity that is still ongoing?

Yes, current activities have to end by Oct 2019. If you are continuing the activity, you can create a new entry under planned activities. Planned activities can have a start time after Oct 2019 until whenever it ends. (The latest it can go on for I believe is around matriculation so Aug 2020.)

Last edited:

I would appreciate your help!!

@JustAUser did a great job of explaining all the answers.
1.The person reading your application will see your entire answers and it doesn't matter if the "first 50 characters" ends up in the middle of a sentence.

2. As explained on page 33 of the TMDSAS application instructions, they do want you to keep the research description AND the publication title in the same entry. If your title is really long, you may feel you are wasting so many of your 300 characters! Do the best you can, and it is OK to leave the description of the research pretty short. For example, you can list just the skills or techniques you used in the research in your limited 300 character entry, then talk more about it in the "3 most significant activities" section.

3. Activities that continue past October 2019, list them again as planned activities , start date November 2019, end date whenever it is, no later than August 2020.

@JustAUser did a great job of explaining all the answers.
1.The person reading your application will see your entire answers and it doesn't matter if the "first 50 characters" ends up in the middle of a sentence.

2. As explained on page 33 of the TMDSAS application instructions, they do want you to keep the research description AND the publication title in the same entry. If your title is really long, you may feel you are wasting so many of your 300 characters! Do the best you can, and it is OK to leave the description of the research pretty short. For example, you can list just the skills or techniques you used in the research in your limited 300 character entry, then talk more about it in the "3 most significant activities" section.

3. Activities that continue past October 2019, list them again as planned activities , start date November 2019, end date whenever it is, no later than August 2020.

Thank you so much!

what do I do with activities that have gaps in between? Like I did an activity from March 2012-May 2012 and June 2013-August 2013. Do I just combine them together and say that the activity occurred from March 2012-August 2013 and enter the total hours?

Thank you so much!

what do I do with activities that have gaps in between? Like I did an activity from March 2012-May 2012 and June 2013-August 2013. Do I just combine them together and say that the activity occurred from March 2012-August 2013 and enter the total hours?
yes

I'm a reapplicant who submitted 6/12 and I haven't received any emails from McGovern, utmb, or long. Yes Ive checked my spam folders. I'm getting pretty worried now...wondering what's going on

I'm a reapplicant who submitted 6/12 and I haven't received any emails from McGovern, utmb, or long. Yes Ive checked my spam folders. I'm getting pretty worried now...wondering what's going on

Has your application been transmitted to the schools you selected?

FYI Long and UTMB don't have secondaries, however, they require CASPER (along with 3 other TX schools). So make sure to take care of that asap.

Once your app is transmitted, McGovern should send you an email with information about the secondary. If you haven't received it, you might want to call their office. I believe UTMB and Long will send an email once all your supporting documents are in and you're 'complete' at their school so that you know your application is under review.

Has your application been transmitted to the schools you selected?

FYI Long and UTMB don't have secondaries, however, they require CASPER (along with 3 other TX schools). So make sure to take care of that asap.

Once your app is transmitted, McGovern should send you an email with information about the secondary. If you haven't received it, you might want to call their office. I believe UTMB and Long will send an email once all your supporting documents are in and you're 'complete' at their school so that you know your application is under review.

I finished my casper on 7/6 I think. It's just weird because last year I had already received confirmation that Long and UTMB had received my app by this time. I've received secondary invitations from UTSW and RG and Texas Tech so I'm not sure what is going on

I finished my casper on 7/6 I think. It's just weird because last year I had already received confirmation that Long and UTMB had received my app by this time. I've received secondary invitations from UTSW and RG and Texas Tech so I'm not sure what is going on
I don’t think you have to wait to be invited to write the McGovern secondary either. Current applicants, do you have to create a McGovern log-in to submit the secondary?

Status
Not open for further replies.