*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2021-2022*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any of y'all planning to take Duet/Snapshot in addition to CASPER? From what I saw on the TMDSAS website, a few TX schools require Duet but I haven't seen any that strictly require Snapshot. Anyone care to confirm?

Any of y'all planning to take Duet/Snapshot in addition to CASPER? From what I saw on the TMDSAS website, a few TX schools require Duet but I haven't seen any that strictly require Snapshot. Anyone care to confirm?
The only one that wants Snapshot at this point is SHSU DO school.
Go to the TMDSAS website page on Secondary applications for all the details about which schools want Duet.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only one that wants Snapshot at this point is SHSU DO school.
Go to the TMDSAS website page on Secondary applications for all the details about which schools want Duet.
Yeah I had actually seen that page but just wanted to double-check. Thanks for the quick response!

Reactions: 1 user
I am reapplying this cycle and have rewritten my personal statement and personal characteristics essay. I want to rewrite the optional essay about unique circumstances but I am not sure what else to write about since I would still like to talk about the same event. Should I rewrite the optional essay as well?

I am reapplying this cycle and have rewritten my personal statement and personal characteristics essay. I want to rewrite the optional essay about unique circumstances but I am not sure what else to write about since I would still like to talk about the same event. Should I rewrite the optional essay as well?
You could use the same event but maybe change the way you tell it slightly, or you might have some different insights about it by now.
Even some small changes will show that you thought about it and didn't copy/paste last year's.

Is there anywhere to see where TMDSAS is at with processing applications? I checked the @tmdsassupport twitter account but it doesn't seem as though they tweet that information out anymore

Is there anywhere to see where TMDSAS is at with processing applications? I checked the @tmdsassupport twitter account but it doesn't seem as though they tweet that information out anymore
They do not do that on a Twitter account any more. In a bit they will have a data log update on their website or Facebook page.
It’s still May. Go walk your dog or something 🐕

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Do y’all know if any TX schools have released secondary prompts already? I was thinking of pre-writing based on last year prompts but didn’t know if that would just be a waste of time in case they change

Do y’all know if any TX schools have released secondary prompts already? I was thinking of pre-writing based on last year prompts but didn’t know if that would just be a waste of time in case they change
Most of the schools want you to wait until they send you an email with the secondary link, after your app has been transmitted to schools.
TMDSAS web page has been nicely redesigned this year. I recommend that everyone reads it, especially the parts about secondaries and CASPer.

Most of the schools want you to wait until they send you an email with the secondary link, after your app has been transmitted to schools.
TMDSAS web page has been nicely redesigned this year. I recommend that everyone reads it, especially the parts about secondaries and CASPer.
Gotcha. Thank you! And just in case anyone was wondering Texas Tech released their secondaries on their website!

Is it even worth doing Snapshot? Since none of the TX schools require it. I do not mind doing it, but what I am worried about is it may potentially hurt my chances if I do poorly on it whereas if I do not do it at all it won't hurt or help.

Is it even worth doing Snapshot? Since none of the TX schools require it. I do not mind doing it, but what I am worried about is it may potentially hurt my chances if I do poorly on it whereas if I do not do it at all it won't hurt or help.
If you are applying "Texas-only" you do not have to do Snapshot.
It is really very deceptive on the ALTUS site when you are registering, though, because they make it sound like an applicant HAS to do all 3 components.

Texas A&M requires CASPer + Duet.

Long and UTMB Require CASPer and are "Pilot program" schools for Duet and "Strongly encourage"you to take Duet

SHSU (DO school) states: CASPer, Duet, Snapshot (entire Altus Suite) "Strongly encouraged"

Please see the TMDSAS web page for the full list about CASPer and secondary apps. Here: TMDSAS Next Steps

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted on day one, and my application was processed today.

For the college coursework section, if my classes these past two semesters have all been online, should I categorize these as "Regular Class" or "Distance Learning?"

For the college coursework section, if my classes these past two semesters have all been online, should I categorize these as "Regular Class" or "Distance Learning?"
@ajacob good question-
You will list it as “regular “ if you expected it to be in person at the time you enrolled, even if they later gave you the news that it was being switched to online.
If you knew it would be remote, it’s “distance”.

It is really very deceptive on the ALTUS site when you are registering, though, because they make it sound like an applicant HAS to do all 3 components.

Long and UTMB Require CASPer and are "Pilot program" schools for Duet and "Strongly encourage"you to take Duet

Please see the TMDSAS web page for the full list about CASPer and secondary apps. Here: TMDSAS Next Steps
I thought at least one TMDSAS school required snapshot because when I registered for mine (I put only SHSU for delivery as a placeholder), they auto registered me for the entire suite.

I thought at least one TMDSAS school required snapshot because when I registered for mine (I put only SHSU for delivery as a placeholder), they auto registered me for the entire suite.
@wysdoc NVM I just saw your above post about SHSU lol.

How exact do we have to be when giving "Cumulative Hours"? I didn't keep track of hours until recently for most of my activities. Can we give a rough estimate?

How exact do we have to be when giving "Cumulative Hours"? I didn't keep track of hours until recently for most of my activities. Can we give a rough estimate?
Yes but try not to over-estimate, especially if you give a contact person who needs to verify for you.
From here on out, keep a log of your hours! :)

What can we add for "significant extracurricular or leisure activites"? I trained for a 10K after not being able to run for more than a minute. Would that count as a significant leisure activity? I'm sorry if that's a dumb question!

Hi, I'm back with more questions (lol sorry). For the planned activities, can we copy and paste the descriptions used for the same activity currently? For example, if I'm doing research right now, can I use the same description in the Planned Activities if I will be doing the same research until next year?

Also, the handbook says some activities might qualify for multiple categories. Does that mean we can put 1 activity in multiple places if it is applicable? For example, if I am scribing, can I put that in paid employment and Healthcare Activities?

Thanks again and sorry if these questions were already asked!

Hi, I'm back with more questions (lol sorry). For the planned activities, can we copy and paste the descriptions used for the same activity currently? For example, if I'm doing research right now, can I use the same description in the Planned Activities if I will be doing the same research until next year?

Also, the handbook says some activities might qualify for multiple categories. Does that mean we can put 1 activity in multiple places if it is applicable? For example, if I am scribing, can I put that in paid employment and Healthcare Activities?

Thanks again and sorry if these questions were already asked!
The best place for these answers is the TMDSAS Handbook.
Yeah, I know, that's like when your teacher in HS says, "It's in the book". But, it's in the book.

The running would be a hobby and you have room to talk about your progress.

The listing an activity in 2 places is limited to:
Healthcare activity + employment
-or-
Activity + leadership, (if your leadership skills were shown in the activity, but you didn't really have an elected leadership office)

The best place for these answers is the TMDSAS Handbook.
Yeah, I know, that's like when your teacher in HS says, "It's in the book". But, it's in the book.

The running would be a hobby and you have room to talk about your progress.

The listing an activity in 2 places is limited to:
Healthcare activity + employment
-or-
Activity + leadership, (if your leadership skills were shown in the activity, but you didn't really have an elected leadership office)
Thank you so much for your continued help. It's made this process clearer and less scary. I really appreciate it!

When would it still be considered early submission for primaries this cycle?

SHSU (DO school) states: CASPer, Duet, Snapshot (entire Altus Suite) "Strongly encouraged"

Could someone clarify "Duet". My friend applied last cycle and has never heard of this Duet program. I am only familiar with Casper.

@ajacob good question-
You will list it as “regular “ if you expected it to be in person at the time you enrolled, even if they later gave you the news that it was being switched to online.
If you knew it would be remote, it’s “distance”.
So, to clarify, if I took a class online because of covid it should be counted as "distance" eventhough typically the class is in-person? My last two semesters were basically categorized as "distance".

So, to clarify, if I took a class online because of covid it should be counted as "distance" eventhough typically the class is in-person? My last two semesters were basically categorized as "distance".
This is the case for many college students last year. Was it distance from the very beginning of the class, or did they switch after you signed up as an in-person class? That is what you need to determine.

Two questions:
1. For the interruptions to education question - does taking withdrawals on a semester of grad school to care for my very sick grandfather count?

2. I explained my nontrad journey in my PS already, any tips for the nontrad essay? Or what else I should be highlighting?

Two questions:
1. For the interruptions to education question - does taking withdrawals on a semester of grad school to care for my very sick grandfather count?

2. I explained my nontrad journey in my PS already, any tips for the nontrad essay? Or what else I should be highlighting?
1. Yes you would explain that your withdrawal from a semester was for non academic reasons
2. Beyond my scope to suggest what to write, sorry

This is the case for many college students last year. Was it distance from the very beginning of the class, or did they switch after you signed up as an in-person class? That is what you need to determine.
It was already distance when I was signing up for courses.

Which schools have sent out secondaries? I got TCOM, UTMB, UTSW, TTHSC, and UTRGV but nothing from the rest, does this mean I've been screened out or have the rest not sent it out yet? My app was transmitted to schools on the 26th? I know the A&M secondary is on the portal...

Which schools have sent out secondaries? I got TCOM, UTMB, UTSW, TTHSC, and UTRGV but nothing from the rest, does this mean I've been screened out or have the rest not sent it out yet? My app was transmitted to schools on the 26th? I know the A&M secondary is on the portal...
Those are all I’ve seen so far.
If you can share the TCOM prompts on the appropriate thread your premed friends will appreciate it!

What should I list paid clinical research under? “Healthcare Activites” section says I can include clinical research, but does that mean I can’t list it under research as well? TIA!

What should I list paid clinical research under? “Healthcare Activites” section says I can include clinical research, but does that mean I can’t list it under research as well? TIA!
@txgal97
1.You could list it under paid employment. Is your job in a lab with no patient contact? Then it's not really a healthcare activity.
2. Does the research involve at least some patient contact? Then it might qualify as healthcare activity.
3. You could list it under research. If any papers, presentations, or posters have resulted from your research, you would get some extra space to talk about those.

Main thing is, don't overthink this, choose the spot it seems to fit best. Getting paid to do your research job does not make it any less noble :)

Also, a lot of applicants this year seems to be getting hung up on wanting to list the same activity in 2 categories. There's no reason to do this usually.
Wysdoc

Those are all I’ve seen so far.
If you can share the TCOM prompts on the appropriate thread your premed friends will appreciate it!
Just to update I did get McGovern and Baylor today!

The handbook says that "current activities = any activity (completed, ongoing, or not yet started) that will take place by the application deadline. List any cumulative hours up to this point."

Is the bolded referring to the TMDSAS application deadline of Nov. 1 or is it the point of time in which you submit the primary?

The handbook says that "current activities = any activity (completed, ongoing, or not yet started) that will take place by the application deadline. List any cumulative hours up to this point."

Is the bolded referring to the TMDSAS application deadline of Nov. 1 or is it the point of time in which you submit the primary?
Up to Nov 1

Just submitted my application. Will schools send secondary prompts after my application has been completely processed (So like...2-4 weeks from now)?

Aren't there schools where you have to go onto their website to submit? I think Texas A&M does this. Any other school?

Just submitted my application. Will schools send secondary prompts after my application has been completely processed (So like...2-4 weeks from now)?

Aren't there schools where you have to go onto their website to submit? I think Texas A&M does this. Any other school?
@Bored_Conscious I answered this question in an earlier post: #80

Those charts reflect when the primary application was submitted, so if you submit it in May or June you are golden.
You must wait for your TMDSAS primary to be transmitted to schools before you can start any secondaries.

Secondary Applications for TMDSAS
Schools that screen before sending secondaries all have their own methods and timeline. They will not all hit you the same day.
You will write them & send them back to the school, according to their instructions, when you are happy with your essays. Some schools want it via email, some via their school portal.

A&M, and UTSW don't prescreen, and you will just find the prompts on their site and write & send in.
Long has no secondary.
All the rest you will need to wait for an email from the school.

I found the secondary prompt for A&M. I believe TTUHSC also provides their secondary prompts online for you to pre-write. However, they will send an invitation. (TTUHSC Medicine Secondary Application | Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center)

Also, I was not able to find the UTSW secondary prompts. On their website it says that we will receive an invitation through email asking us to create an account. I tried to create an account (I haven't received an email yet) and I can't find any information on creating an account. Only logging in.

I found the secondary prompt for A&M. I believe TTUHSC also provides their secondary prompts online for you to pre-write. However, they will send an invitation. (TTUHSC Medicine Secondary Application | Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center)

Also, I was not able to find the UTSW secondary prompts. On their website it says that we will receive an invitation through email asking us to create an account. I tried to create an account (I haven't received an email yet) and I can't find any information on creating an account. Only logging in.
You must wait for the school to receive your primary...
But if you go look on the UTSW school-specific thread you will see this year's prompts. You can start writing and then send them when you are able.
Watch for the message on your TMDSAS portal that your app has been transmitted to schools.

***I highly recommend applicants read through the TMDSAS website about next steps after submitting the primary. All the answers to these types of questions are there, and it is up to you, the applicants, to make yourselves well informed about the process!***

Not all TMDSAS schools use Casper correct? Just want to confirm since Altus Suite does not include UTRGV, Dell, and I believe U of H

You must wait for the school to receive your primary...
But if you go look on the UTSW school-specific thread you will see this year's prompts. You can start writing and then send them when you are able.
Watch for the message on your TMDSAS portal that your app has been transmitted to schools.

***I highly recommend applicants read through the TMDSAS website about next steps after submitting the primary. All the answers to these types of questions are there, and it is up to you, the applicants, to make yourselves well informed about the process!***
If we're out of state should we bother with TMDSAS? Baylor was my dream school and living in texas is my dream but I'm from another Southern State

If we're out of state should we bother with TMDSAS? Baylor was my dream school and living in texas is my dream but I'm from another Southern State
Baylor takes more OOS than the other TMDSAS schools. If you are a competitive student, throw your (cowboy) hat into the ring!

Baylor takes more OOS than the other TMDSAS schools. If you are a competitive student, throw your (cowboy) hat into the ring!
I'm so nervous but I want to live in Texas so badly ;_;

• Care
  • Is there a clickable button to indicate which activity was most meaningful or do I need to state the activity title in the most meaningful description? Because on AMCAS you are able to click most meaningful for the activity and the additional description is added right under your first paragraph.
  • If I was in an organization during college do I input it as multiple entries (August - May for each year) or under one category? If I input it as one category how do I record my weekly hours? If I use multiple entries do I change my description or just copy and paste?
  • If I was in a leadership position all 4 years as a member in an organization, should I put it under the leadership or extracurriculars section? I really want to be able to record my hours because of how high the number is.